Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Old 24th May 2007, 14:52   #1
BHPian

Default Tata Indica Lsi + K&N High Performance Filter

Now that my faithful Indica Petrol has covered 35000 kms, atleast 2/3rds of which has been with the K&N gear, I wanted to pen my experience with this joint-venture!

I purchased my Indica Lsi model in July 2004 and ran the stock setup for about 5000 kms. In the regular trim, my car does 75bhp (as per the documentation) max. The mileage that I used to get during the initial days was on the better side of 11kmpl in city with the AC on and 15-16kmpl on the highway with intermittent AC. The car had pretty good pickup (I always compare with my previous Indica diesel ) and many drivers on the road were a bit confused to see an indica accelerate fast. Indica & Acceleration are mutually exclusive entities, right?

Then I decided to do with some more power. Since there is no stock K&N filter available for the petrol Indica, I decided to go in for the high-performance filiter kit, together with all new plumbing. And till date, I have enjoyed every bit of this new marriage! Of course there are couple of issues which I will highlight later.

On light throttle there is very little difference between the normal Indica & the K&N version, except maybe a very slight increase in the noise area. But when you load the throttle, boy! the change in character of the engine is very evident. There is a loud growl (which I like quite a bit) and the feeling of being pushed to the back seat under hard acceleration.

Though I don't have statistical data, there is a clearly perceptible difference in the extra push that you get when you accelerate. My guess is a benefit of ~10%, especially in the mid-range. I am quite a travel freak and usually take my car out on the highway rides. The car has its sweet spot between 80-120kmph, and rushes through this band (in 5th gear). I have given many cars a run for their money...accents, swifts, palios...once even a Baleno, through some spirited driving! The max I have done is an indicated 160kmph on the beautiful Bangalore-Mysore highway.

Coming to the issues..
1. Mileage has dropped a bit, now i am only getting around 10.5 kmpl in city (though maybe I make more use of the throttle just to hear the music!)
2. There is a strange smell from the exhaust...something like H2S...right from day one of fitting the K&N kit
3. Cleaning the engine bay is a problem...you cant simply splash water all over, because the filter is an exposed unit.

Overall, I am pretty pleased...happy with my investment of Rs.5000 on the kit. And I am in no hurry to let go of this bloke in the near future!

Thanks for reading...looking forward to some opinions / comments from the stalwarts around here...

Rgds,
kdadi
kdadi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2007, 16:04   #2
BANNED

Good to see this report.

I have an absolutely stock March 2003 Indica LSi done 79000 kms. There is a certain punch the engine packs once your cross 3000 rpm. Has this changed with the K&N?

How do feel the steering feel is once about cross 120 kph?
hrag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2007, 16:30   #3
BHPian

I would say that this punch is definitely enhanced with the K&N. The shove in the back is really great..but then I have to admit that this car lacks top-end, it runs out of breadth after 5K rpm.

I dont see a change in steering feel beyond 120kmph, but which time its pretty vague off-center anyway!
kdadi is offline   Reply With Quote