Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Old 22nd June 2007, 18:19   #1
BHPian

Red face 2000 kms in an April made Safari LX

It was a dream that we carried long in our hearts, my wife and I wanted to own the beast of the roads. The demands of a growing family only added fuel to the fire.

The time arrived when we got a good deal for our 3-year-old ever dependable Zen LXi. We had already done a fair bit of research on the dealers and their deals. In retrospect it was a hobson's choice, all the dealers basically offered the same goodies and poor deliveries.

We settled for a Light Gold Safari LX DICOR with (all for OTR):
* Body colour bumpers
* Fog lamps
* Reverse camera with parking sensors
* Art leather seat cover
* Sun film, mats
* Chrome front grille from EX or VX.
* Less than 1/2 liter of diesel in the tank
* 10 liter diesel coupon

It was close to 9:30 pm when we left the dealer, our house a mere 4 kms away, we were in no mood to fill up right away. The odometer and speedometer were not working. I was fuming when I realized the distances the vehicle could have covered and the "test drives" taken in my Safari the past one week when it had apparently arrived from Pune! Apparently the sales executive had been pretty open and honest till then, after repeated assurances that the vehicle had not gone anywhere and it had arrived just 2 days before and it was just a PDI oversight, I continued on my way home. He said he was sending someone right away behind me to get it fixed at my home.

The slope to our basement parking killed the engine. We were out of fuel!! Thank god I paid attention to "pumping the rubber ball". I immediately got 4 liters of diesel from the neighboring pump. The pumping worked and I got the engine started just when the mechanics arrived to fix the odometer.

The weeks following that were spent carefully adhering to running-in rules (less than 2000 rpm and 100kmph) as per the user manual and in several trips to the service station to get the following fixed:

* AC fused
* Dashboard replaced (the windshield AC vents were coming off)
* front door beading replaced
* seat covers readjusted for misalignment
* black smoke
* Steering wheel misalignment
* wheel alignment

Most were fixed and their response was good. One problem that still exists is the black smoke and an apparent sense of sluggishness when I try to push the vehicle during overtaking. I was asked to fill in only from Shell petrol pumps and use the System D (1ml per liter). I have noticed slight reduction in the smoke, but it might also be from me trying to ease off the throttle to avoid seeing the black smoke in my rear view mirror! One of these days I am going to TD their TD vehicle to compare.

Experts, please comment on the use of the fuel additive called System D. Also there is a delay of about a second in the flow of power when, after I overtake, I ease the accelerator and change gears and depress the accelerator again to pull away from the overtaken vehicle. Has anybody noticed this? Or, am I still following to the "Zen" style of driving?

Brakes are pretty "fishy", they get rather sharp suddenly. Almost everyday I have a tyres squeal when I press them a little too hard. And I do not drive hard. Can there be an imbalance in the brakes? Are the tyres inadequate?

I just love the drive, the height, the space (bedroom on wheels!) and the way the beast stands out when parked amongst the rest of the "crowd". It pretty easy to drive on crowded roads, frequent gear changing is not much of a problem.

Its been 2 months and 2000 kms. An ICE is pending... I am mulling a simple MP3 system and a portable DVD player for my 2-yr old instead of a DVD system.

Guys, your comments please!!!
wanderlust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd June 2007, 19:21   #2
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderlust View Post

* AC fused
* Dashboard replaced (the windshield AC vents were coming off)
* front door beading replaced
* seat covers readjusted for misalignment
* black smoke
* Steering wheel misalignment
* wheel alignment
are you sure you werent sold a Test Mule?????

If you quote your VIN some of the chaps here may be able to tell you when your car may have left the factory.

Who was the dealer?

Quote:
Experts, please comment on the use of the fuel additive called System D. Also there is a delay of about a second in the flow of power when, after I overtake, I ease the accelerator and change gears and depress the accelerator again to pull away from the overtaken vehicle. Has anybody noticed this? Or, am I still following to the "Zen" style of driving?
After all the issues you have mentioned one cant say if its the Zen effect or an ECU issue, because the throttle is electronic and not mechanical (drive by wire, as some chaps call it here).

Quote:
Brakes are pretty "fishy", they get rather sharp suddenly. Almost everyday I have a tyres squeal when I press them a little too hard. And I do not drive hard. Can there be an imbalance in the brakes? Are the tyres inadequate?
Brakes - dont expect same sort of braking response as in a small hatchback. It is rather progressive and that brake pedal has quite a bit of travel.

Tyres squeal because the OE tyres are inadequate. Upsize to good 255 rubbers is recommended - ask v1p3r on the forum to suggest good tyres in B'lore.

Last edited by Steeroid : 22nd June 2007 at 19:22.
Steeroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd June 2007, 19:41   #3
Senior - BHPian

First of all let me congratulate you on your new dicor.

I am also facing the issue of Black smoke from my vehicle.
I will get that checked in the next service that is due in another 600 kms.

Yep.. you will have to get used to the braking.. I faced the similiar problem when i shifted from an Esteem to the Safari.. Brake and the tires screamed for their life.. Thats when i immediately changed the tires to Hankook Dynamics 255/65 16". The squeal has considerably reduced and the road grip is much better.
As Steeroid said.. contact v1p3r for the rubber and i suggest you change them at the earliest to get you a good buy back value.

Godfather
Godfather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd June 2007, 19:45   #4
BHPian

Congratulation on your new car, a very good review and experience with the Safari.
I think you donít need to use System D if you are filling from Shell petrol pumps (guys please correct me if I am wrong).

Hellcat.
Hellcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd June 2007, 19:48   #5
Senior - BHPian

I am not aware of any System D.. can someone put more light on this.

The last time i complained of high smoke the service technician told me that " Saar.. This is diesel vehicle.. Please accelerate at neutral gear till 2000 rpm for 10 minutes.. this will clear out the smoke"
I just stood there blankly staring at him.. Did not know what to do.. I could not laugh at his face could I??

Godfather
Old 22nd June 2007, 19:56   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godfather View Post
I am not aware of any System D.. can someone put more light on this.
Diesel equivalent of the Iftek System G for petrol engines. You get it in most IOC and BPC pumps.

However I've been asked to try out Sonax CRDi Additive, which I am yet to get hold of. v1p3r was supposed to help us find some in B'lore, and Desert Fox knows where to get them.

A lot of you are complaining of black smoke - to be fair I've had the issue just once and it disappeared after the EGR was retrofitted in late 2005. You can check with Tadu - he was driving behind me at night in his Petrified Elantra.

Obviously there will be SOME amount of smoke from a 3 litre diesel engine, but it looks like all of you have issues with a LOT of smoke.
Steeroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd June 2007, 20:10   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
Diesel equivalent of the Iftek System G for petrol engines. You get it in most IOC and BPC pumps.
I will look for this the next time i tank up.. Thanks

Quote:
v1p3r was supposed to help us find some in B'lore, .
Forget about it.. He is still re-designing the Baleno's Brake lights.

Quote:
A lot of you are complaining of black smoke - to be fair I've had the issue just once and it disappeared after the EGR was retrofitted in late 2005. You can check with Tadu - he was driving behind me at night in his Petrified Elantra.

Obviously there will be SOME amount of smoke from a 3 litre diesel engine, but it looks like all of you have issues with a LOT of smoke.
Yeah.. agreed that there is some amount of Smoke from a 3 Litre engine but if i accelerate and especially after the turbo starts to spool thats when i cant see anyone behind the vehicle anymore.. That BLACK smoke..
What is this EGR thing you are talking about.
I bet i get cursed a lot.

Godfather
Old 22nd June 2007, 20:15   #8
Senior - BHPian

Hey,

Good review...must say you've had quite a bit of issues with your safari, im suspecting it was used for test drives. Speedo disconnection can only mean that...because my safari had its speedo working from the stockyard itself. I recieved the car at 180kms on the odo, that is more or less the distance from the stockyard to the rto and then to the showroom.

I've had no issues apart from some rattling and windhsheild washer problem with my safari in the 3 months of ownership and 5000kms.

And i've been using regular diesel, no smoke...only if i floor it and that too it appears only when the engine is close to the redline.

Drifter
drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd June 2007, 20:29   #9
Senior - BHPian

Even I suspect that you have been handed over a test car... in that case do as steeriod suggested.
extreme_torque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2007, 18:38   #10
Senior - BHPian

Wanderlust, congrats on your new car! Welcome to the truck club and I hope your beast gives you many years of driving pleasure after the initial "niggles" are sorted out.

Who was the dealer? Sounds like they'd taken a few joyrides before they handed it over to you!
suman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2007, 19:21   #11
Team-BHP Support

congratz wander lust on the car, take it to the dealer and explain the issues in detail.

reg test drive issue- its easy to find out if observed closely for wear in upholstery and all, if ok dont worry too much.
Jaggu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2007, 19:49   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Guys, your comments please!!!
I find my brakes pretty good normally, but they grab like mad in wet weather. I have confirmed this with a couple of other Safai owners too.
jyobeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th June 2007, 14:41   #13
BHPian

Quote:
i think is more about the way you handle it. normally i have seen this happening with more guys who change from small cars to suv's. it will get better as you get along with your car.
babureddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th June 2007, 14:43   #14
BHPian

Quote:
If you quote your VIN some of the chaps here may be able to tell you when your car may have left the factory.

Who was the dealer?
hey steer, what is this VIN. I have booked my new dicor with Prerana Motors, bangalore.
Can anybody help me on this.
babureddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th June 2007, 15:18   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by babureddy View Post
hey steer, what is this VIN. I have booked my new dicor with Prerana Motors, bangalore.
Can anybody help me on this.
VIN=Vehicle identification no.

Its is a metal plate mouted on vehicle body, usually under hood.

On safari on left rear qtr glass, there is VIN sticker pasted too.

If no starts from E, then vehicle is manufactured in the the monh of may, if it is F then June.

So in any case vehicle delievered should not be more than a month old, as safari production is much less than regular models.

If it is D or C series suspect it being old stock lyin in stockyard, sold to you.

I hope this clears your querry.Also you can find some date stickers on various vendor supplied parts like seat belt assy. or a/c blower unit under the dash etc.
arunforu1 is offline   Reply With Quote