Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 8th December 2008, 09:44   #871
BHPian

As far as I know, if you are replacing the horn, Swift D doesn't require a relay. Where as if you want to keep the existing horn and put a new horn with a 'switch' to switch between them, you need a relay for the new horn too.
Old 8th December 2008, 10:11   #872
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeekSrik View Post
can u elabroate which mass told you this? also please let me know if the situation can happen if i have only one horn overall. and remove the other existing one. i did hear UM cars telling me that they need to fix up a relay and stuff. but he seems to have an experience in that.
Please see my note in my long term report of Swift D - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...-report-5.html
Old 8th December 2008, 17:08   #873
Senior - BHPian

thanks for this info, i propose to change my existing horn with this one tomorrow. i dont intend to use both horns at the same time. in this case i assume there is no risk to ECM.
Old 8th December 2008, 18:14   #874
Team-BHP Support

This whole ECM business is overblown if you ask me. Yes as far as i have heard, the OE horns also have a relay but am not sure if it will take the load of a very heavy duty upgrade, should take care of OE units though (2 tone/piece units).

You want to upgrade horns, either you can add a pair and remove the existing single unit. SX4 units will be a good choice if you are ok with decent ones and dont want very LOUD ones.

OR you can keep the existing horns, add a relay and fit the additional horn with a selector switch. This will give you a back up horn just in case one unit fails, also the mild OE ones can be used inside city or other areas where a loud horn might be undesirable.

I have additional horns with relay in my car, first i was running Stiebel Nautilus, which was airhorn with pump (heavy on current). The horn conked off due to age (it was carried from my old iKON) and now replaced the horns to Mico Bosch Windtone (skoda type), have retained the old relay circuit from Nautilus. No issues till date.

I just saw the previous page, since you have already bought the horn, you can connect the same instead of single piece OE one in swift. (hopefully there is a provision for connecting the second horn also, if not a small parallel wiring will be required)

OR add it as separate as your garage suggested, its your choice.

Last edited by Jaggu : 8th December 2008 at 18:19.
Old 10th December 2008, 10:50   #875
Senior - BHPian

twin horn

GeekSrik,

The new version of the Swift D (2008) has a twin horn. wouldn't you be able to fit this from the dealer itself? It's pretty loud too...the tone that you hear inside with the windows wound up is actually different from the one with the windows wound down.

- Shibu.
Old 10th December 2008, 11:57   #876
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by shibujp View Post
GeekSrik,

The new version of the Swift D (2008) has a twin horn. wouldn't you be able to fit this from the dealer itself? It's pretty loud too.
This is good news, need to check out to upgrade the OE horns in my car
Old 10th December 2008, 15:12   #877
Senior - BHPian

horm upgrade done, and it was an annoying affair. took one and half hours. the horn is located before the front left wheel behind the bumper. which means removing every damn screw all the way upto it. as of now I am using only the windtone horn, and the original one is disconnected though physically connected there yet. total cost Rs.600/- purchase and installation. the windtone horn is from roots, not mico as he said mico cannot be repaired, but roots could be. that aside with the new horn shibu is mighty right. you feel like a skoda inside, but others would feel annoyed outside the horn does scare people off the way and thats whats necessary in a city like Bangalore. there was one wagon R who was to my left and took a right turn cutting me off, one honk and out came a hand in apology! I also feel very grown up using this horn, and I dont trumpet too often. just the right amounts at the right times to get my way. more pics later!
Old 10th December 2008, 19:59   #878
Senior - BHPian

Hi,

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeekSrik View Post
thats whats necessary in a city like Bangalore.
I did a 2366 km round trip without using the horn and one of the cities I passed through (twice) was Bangalore!
Old 11th December 2008, 14:15   #879
Senior - BHPian

sir, this is for normal people like me not doctors and automotive veterans in specific

meanwhile, i myself dont honk often in fact I leave home vowing not to honk unless really necessary and to some extent that is working.
Old 11th December 2008, 23:18   #880
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by trrk View Post
Hi,

I did a 2366 km round trip without using the horn and one of the cities I passed through (twice) was Bangalore!
I would say you were damn lucky. I feel horn is a safety device to be used when in doubt (Blind curves, overtakes, warning pedestrians and cattle etc). I am really surprised how you drove on a highway without using one.

All - Never attempt such a thing. too risky (not only to your life but to other road users' life also).
Old 11th December 2008, 23:31   #881
rippergeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselFan View Post
I would say you were damn lucky. I feel horn is a safety device to be used when in doubt (Blind curves, overtakes, warning pedestrians and cattle etc). I am really surprised how you drove on a highway without using one.

All - Never attempt such a thing. too risky (not only to your life but to other road users' life also).
I have to disagree. Honking is putting the onus on the other driver to be careful because you are approaching. Driving without honking leaves the responsibility of your safety with yourself, where it should be.

trrk's driving style is rather safe, If he doesnt need the horn its because of that, not because he's lucky. Its skill, not risk.
PS- I use the horn liberally sometimes, but that is only as a substitute for expletives, not as a warning to any other road user.

Last edited by rippergeo : 11th December 2008 at 23:34.

Old 12th December 2008, 10:52   #882
Senior - BHPian

Hi,

Quote:
Rippergeo has given some details already. I agree with your opinion about it being a 'safety device'. But the horn is no longer being used as one and is generally used for clearing your way through anything.

For the past two years I have been driving in this 'no horn' mode and I have adjusted my driving style to fit this. It is more defensive now. Even for overtaking I flash the lights and wait patiently for getting the way. And in crowded streets, I do go slowly until the pedestrians move out of my way to go ahead. So it needs a lot of alteration in your driving style to do this.

Quote:
I have never advised anyone to follow my quirky methods.

And sorry for this off topic discussion!
Old 12th December 2008, 11:28   #883
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rippergeo View Post
I have to disagree. Honking is putting the onus on the other driver to be careful because you are approaching. Driving without honking leaves the responsibility of your safety with yourself, where it should be.

trrk's driving style is rather safe, If he doesnt need the horn its because of that, not because he's lucky. Its skill, not risk.
PS- I use the horn liberally sometimes, but that is only as a substitute for expletives, not as a warning to any other road user.
Honking is a means to warn (not to shift Onus or responsibility). On a blind curve irrespective of how careful you are you may be in grave danger if the other party coming in the opposite direction is not warned. There is no doubt the horn is a warning and a safety device.
Old 13th December 2008, 05:15   #884
BHPian

I found root's horn (skoda) from one retailer for Rs 450 and other one is giving for Rs 330. Both have similar packaging and looks same from outside. Just wondering if there are fake roots in market ?

By the way, my style is "bit" similar to trkk, If someone ahead is driving at 40-50 in 60 kmph road , I will drive behind, flash lights 2-3 times, if that doesn't work then I honk. Sometime that also doesn't work, then I have to overtake form left side. May be after upgrading to roots, I dont have to overtake form left side.
Old 14th December 2008, 16:10   #885

hi Friends,

Please suggest me wht all needs to be taken care of in the 3rd service of swift vdi. after 10000kms. And do you guys leave the car at the dealer place or you stay there to see that everything that needs to be done during the service is taken care of. Please suggest.
One more thing i would like to share is that my swift horn is playing a spoil sport. Sometimes i feel only one of the horn is blowing and sometimes both are blowing and i don;t know why.
Any suggestion would be most welcomed.
Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed