Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Closed Thread

Old 22nd June 2009, 15:06   #1021
Distinguished - BHPian

This is dreadful. I'm horrified to know that these people have just run away from the scene.
Old 22nd June 2009, 17:09   #1022
Senior - BHPian

Sorry to hear about this episode, GeekSrik. I hope you succeed in tracing out that couple and make them cough up for your expenses.
BTW, doesn't Karnataka have a website like the one below?

Welcome To TRANSPORT DEPARTMENT GOVERNMENT OF ANDHRAPRADESH - INDIA
Old 22nd June 2009, 20:35   #1023
Senior - BHPian

The only one I have been able to find is Transport Department

But the problem is that these motor vehicle people have several websites up at the same time, one more updated than the other.

Kerala MVD is so much better in that regard. The website gives accurate information too.
Old 23rd June 2009, 11:33   #1024
Senior - BHPian

UPDATE:I found the owner after some detective work. He was staying in Koramangala and was from IBM. We had a very casual chat, I cooled his nerves a bit. Wasnt angry at all with him. Told him to meet me today and sort the cash part out. He met me and paid up about 14k bucks which is essentially my share of the total money. insurance estimated at 85k bucks (you can imagine what all was damaged). He asked for a discount on my NCB, but I didnt agree to that.

Later we drove to the police station, and I wrote a letter to take back my complaint, but police said they will fine him and thats the only way complaint is deemed closed. Fine was another 500 bucks. He was fretting at that cost but sometimes people dont understand that police also have their own formalities.

Shook hands after that, he was profusely apologizing for that again and again. I just told him learn to drive properly from next time. Parted ways, now I look forward to getting back my baby in shape again. Alls well thats ends well is a proverb.

murphy's law states: all's well that ends!
Old 23rd June 2009, 12:14   #1025
BHPian

Good to know that you were able to trace the car owner, If i was in your place i would have made him pay for the entire repair. Since you are claiming for the insurance it will be you who is going to pay more premium from next year right that to with no mistake of yours.
Old 23rd June 2009, 13:01   #1026
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeekSrik View Post
UPDATE:have their own formalities.

Shook hands after that, he was profusely apologizing for that again and again. I just told him learn to drive properly from next time. Parted ways, now I look forward to getting back my baby in shape again. Alls well thats ends well is a proverb.

Great to know this---feel kinda releived!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Circle View Post
Good to know that you were able to trace the car owner, If i was in your place i would have made him pay for the entire repair. Since you are claiming for the insurance it will be you who is going to pay more premium from next year right that to with no mistake of yours.
I agree. Not only more premium, but also loss of a hefty NCB if one is buying a new car of a higher segment.
Old 23rd June 2009, 13:28   #1027
BHPian

Quote:
UPDATE:I found the owner after some detective work. He was staying in Koramangala and was from IBM. We had a very casual chat, I cooled his nerves a bit. Wasnt angry at all with him. Told him to meet me today and sort the cash part out. He met me and paid up about 14k bucks which is essentially my share of the total money. insurance estimated at 85k bucks (you can imagine what all was damaged). He asked for a discount on my NCB, but I didnt agree to that.

Later we drove to the police station, and I wrote a letter to take back my complaint, but police said they will fine him and thats the only way complaint is deemed closed. Fine was another 500 bucks. He was fretting at that cost but sometimes people dont understand that police also have their own formalities.

Actually, you can ask him to pay through his insurance, instead of you claiming insurance. That is through his third party liability insurance cover. That way there is no problem about your NCB etc. He will take a hit on his NCB for the subsequent years, which he should be.
Did any one try this before. I was talking to a friend, and once he made a person who hit his car pay through his insurance as part of third party coverage.

Nevertheless, all is well that ends well

I am expecting we can share some intelligence if necessary in future about "detective" work if necessary
Old 23rd June 2009, 14:23   #1028
Senior - BHPian

siturl, i just called up various service centers. so much for intelligence quotient alternatively using RTI you can pay Rs.10 and get your IQ tested and results delivered from RTO in one single day. Intelligence I used was when asked "why you need those details", I said I am buying their car second hand. Period. Details flowed through.

to all friends who shared my agony with me. thanks a lot. i feel really good to be in such great company. i am floored with your gestures. any help, dont forget to ping me, i ll be glad to be of help when you need me.

Last edited by Jaggu : 23rd June 2009 at 14:49. Reason: back to back posts, thanks
Old 23rd June 2009, 14:49   #1029
Team-BHP Support

Geek i think you did the right thing! Was he driving or his wife? and why did he run away in the first place? No license?

Wishing the car a speedy recovery, ask dealer to ensure proper color matching while painting.
Old 23rd June 2009, 16:35   #1030
Senior - BHPian

@jaggu - His wife owns the car, its in her name. both were there. They have bought the car only this month looks like which made life difficult for me to fetch records. He did not run away. Since it was a public car park and he waited for me for an hour and I still didnt turn up, he decided to leave. When he did leave, while he left his car number on my car, on a piece of paper, he also gave his mobile number, to some guy around who also left the place. this car park is full of floating population. A lesson for me not to leave my car there again.

prior to this incident, he also had his own windshield smashed by some unknown guy, about a couple of weeks ago. Looks like they are having a bad time with their own car over and over again. I can only be a bit sympathetic at this stage.

he asked me whether I am a proper Bangalorean, I said I live in Koramangala for about 30 years now, and his reaction was this:

"Oh s__t ! I mean oh good "
Old 23rd June 2009, 17:37   #1031
BHPian

Thats great news. Atleast you wont have to shell anything from your pocket except for your NCB for next year.
Hope to see you car back in her original condition.
BTW can you share the list of damages?

Last edited by f1fan : 23rd June 2009 at 17:48.
Old 23rd June 2009, 17:42   #1032
BHPian

Wow, what an accident and an ending to it.

Courtesy bad driving schools and the RTO for issuing licenses left, right and centre. When are we going to come out of this mess?
Old 23rd June 2009, 20:11   #1033
Senior - BHPian

f1fan, the list of damages is quite long. i ll share it when i get the finall bill.

Srik
Old 23rd June 2009, 23:51   #1034
Distinguished - BHPian

I got the impression before that they just ran off. Apologies to them that I was wrong!

Glad you got it sorted amicably; by far the best way.

I really do not understand insurance in this country. In UK, the insurance company of the driver-at-fault pays, and the innocent party's insurer claims from them*, so all one ever has to do is to deal with one's own insurance company. What's more, the insurance company is expected to do the work; that's what they are they for!

(Furthermore, though they are hardly angels dying to give their money away, they do not invent stupid stuff like not paying for a piece of rubber or plastic because they have made up some silly idea that it was not meant to last as long as the car.

Sorry for the offtopic rant <Blush>)

*in principle, at least: in practice the larger companies agree to set off claims against each other to save the admin expence, etc.
Old 24th June 2009, 20:57   #1035
BHPian

Quote:
@
prior to this incident, he also had his own windshield smashed by some unknown guy, about a couple of weeks ago. Looks like they are having a bad time with their own car over and over again. I can only be a bit sympathetic at this stage.

"Oh s__t ! I mean oh good "
Having read thru the whole episode, let me congratulate you for handling the situation so well. The result speaks for itself.

It was very easy to have lost your cool after being smashed so badly but that would only have left you with a deep scar on your mind and pocket. A word to everyone - This should be put up as a BEST PRACTICE and LESSONS LEARNT. I think thats the way they term it in IBM.... GeekSrik you were really ideating.

Wishing your baby a early recovery.
Closed Thread