Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Closed Thread

Old 1st July 2007, 11:15   #1
BHPian

Cool Go Sparky Go..

Thanks to a long thread in "What Car" and loads of advice got Sparky and lot of good friends too - all thanks to Team-BHP.

Around 7 PM on Friday the 29th, Sundaram Motors finally got the car out. So after 2 hours of waiting around. Running in to see the car. Me and EMD taking pics we finally get our respective rides.

Never having driven in city conditions I had requested a driver. We started and as we reached the exit.. horror of horrors that fluroscent green speedo needle did not budge. I told the driver to take it back inside. He said we can check it in the reassurance check.. I said what crap. So he moved it back.

The sales guy was just leaving. But he got some service advisors on it.
They moved my Sparky on a hydraulic jack and checked the speedo cable and revved the engine. This time the needle moved (Touched 80 in 3rd gear effortlessly while on the jack). Kept revving till the odo registered a kilometer.. Then brought it back down.

It seems the speedo needle is a little lazy and does not get up for slow speeds.. So off we went. RIde was comfortable and I was itching to get inot the drivers seat but better sense prevailed and I let the driver park it also in my flat's parking lot.

Saturday evening: 5.30 PM. Back from office.
5.35 PM - WIth Sparky. Removed ribbons and the plastic cover on the front seats. Took some chocos I had bought and set out to my relatives..

Bangalore traffic for about 20 kms. Banashankari to Lingaraja Puram via Vidhan Soudha / Cantonement. Stop and go traffic. Sparky moved like a dream. Keep her in 2nd and the soft clutch does everything else. See an empty stretch. No probs. The Sparky zipped ahead.

After parking proudly in my grandparents house did I realise their house was in a dead end and I would have to reverse 50 meters or so.

After showing them and getting it prayed. Got in and slotted into reverse and apprehensively released the clutch.. but the car was so manuevarouble that it was easier than I thought .

Then I got lost in Lingarajapuram. All dark narrow streets. Some went into a dead end. Reverse the way I come..(now reversing is a breeze). Went under flyovers where only autos could go..(Sparky rocked). All tight corners and turns.. Sparky's turning radius was amazing and it went where it was pointed.

Finally found Hennur road to my aunts place on Hennur cross. Reached without incident. Showed them had dinner and started around 10 for the 20 km drive back home.

Started drizzling.
Now the Sparky in rain. Initially confused with the wiper stalks and indicator stalks. Sparky was confident on the wet roads. And I drove in my normal speeds (40-80 max). Reached home by 11. Wiped the windows/windshield with newspaper. Wiped the wet parts of the car and put her to sleep. Took this pic after she slept.

More pics will follow.

Impressions:
Absolutely easy to manouvre and drive. Handles very well.
You dont feel unsure on any turning.
FUN to drive especially in mild traffic. Get a gap in the traffic. Point Sparky's nose there and tap the pedal she zips ahead.
Engine noise - NIL. I sometimes.. well almost all the time was never sure if the engine was on.. In long traffic stops I switch off the engine. And sometimes re-cranked the engine even after it had started. I know its bad for the engine. (Would I have spoilt anything these 3-4 times..real worried)

I would have to do something about this soon. Any ideas bhpians.
Am getting an Autocop with Imm. Would that prevent me from re-cranking the engine? Or should I go for an after market tacho meter. I'd know if the engine was running??? help
Old 1st July 2007, 11:26   #2

Nimz,
All the best with your car. Spark is a good choice. First few thousands it would be good if you don't go on a long drive. Anyways its a proven engine though. Don't make it hard by taking it to Nandi hills until finish 1000 normal kms ! Tachometer are personal preferences. Check it twice if you fit any extra fitment warranty should not get void. Ask your service advisor for the warranty clause before you get in to the same.

Until first service its good to have the car as it is, Incase of any diagnosis you are not adding any variables with imm or tacho. (I think you would go for first service at 1000)
Old 1st July 2007, 11:33   #3
BHPian

Awesome Nimz, looks like you are loving the car. Is this your first car? - In that case the excitement is understandable. Or did you own a car before? - In that case the excitement talks volumes about the performance of the car - And how would you compare the new and the old car in this case?

So Spark is released in Bangalore finally is it? Thats good news, lets see how the sales are for the Spark.
Old 1st July 2007, 11:40   #4
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations on a lovely purchase. That car is damn good especially in the city. Enjoy and drive safe.

Drifter
Old 1st July 2007, 11:49   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by herculesksp View Post
Awesome Nimz, looks like you are loving the car. Is this your first car? - In that case the excitement is understandable. Or did you own a car before? - In that case the excitement talks volumes about the performance of the car - And how would you compare the new and the old car in this case?

So Spark is released in Bangalore finally is it? Thats good news, lets see how the sales are for the Spark.
We have an Indica Xeta back home which my dad uses. So technically its not my car. And I get to drive it only during holidays and long trips we take.

Indica has got a good pickup.. but then I see a gap in traffic and I want the car there.. the Spark zips effortlessly. I didnt notice this in the Indica. Was initially apprehensive about doing this with Sparky but it allayed all my apprehensions.. And the Xeta has a relatively bad suspension and road noise gets into the car. I found these aspects significantly different in the Spark. The Spark is just tooooooo silent. Dont know if its good or bad though!!
Have touched 130 kmph on the Xeta without strain. Not crossing 80kmph on Sparky now. When would you all adivise on crossing 100 Kmpn on 4th gear (the rpm would sufficiently be high hence 4th gear)

Nimz
Old 1st July 2007, 12:46   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nimz View Post
Wiped the wet parts of the car and put her to sleep. Took this pic after she slept.
If she is sleeping then why her eyes are wide open

Congrats on the new car. Did see one on GQ on the way to chennai. It looks fabulous.

Planning any accessories???
Old 1st July 2007, 12:47   #7
Senior - BHPian

Nimz, you seem to thoroughly enjoy your Car!

Well, Sparky seems to be perfect City Car!
Do take it for a spin on a highway & see how it performs on highways too.

Dude, you came to Hennur Cross y'day, had you come little further to Hennur Bande and PM me, I could have seen your Sparky!
Old 1st July 2007, 13:10   #8
BHPian

Nice Romantic write up Nimz... Fabulous love story .

I agree to you chevy cars have amazing engine refinement it is difficult to make it out whether is engine is running or not. But after a duration you will be used to it

In between do check on FE side and let us know

Happy driving !
Old 1st July 2007, 13:48   #9
BHPian

my sister has a matiz nad i used to love it (used to sneak away with it for a ride when she was at home) only draw back was the power but now with the 1 lt engine in the spark i think it should be the best car to drive in the city
Enjoy ur car Nimz
Old 1st July 2007, 15:06   #10
BHPian

Dude, did you have a look at the AC? How does it perform with the AC on? Is that 1-litre engine capable of driving the AC without too much loss in power, with effective cooling?
Old 1st July 2007, 15:50   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Congrats Nimz!

Can you kindly answer a few questions of mine?
Hows the ride quality, build quality and backseat comfort? can you please check that out and answer?

And also, an update on the initial mileage (i know its brand new... hehe) would be nice.

Thanks in advance. Enjoy the car.
Old 1st July 2007, 16:14   #12

Question OT: No hills?

Quote:
Originally Posted by meenakshi View Post
First few thousands it would be good if you don't go on a long drive. Anyways its a proven engine though. Don't make it hard by taking it to Nandi hills until finish 1000 normal kms !
Meenakshi,

I'm not much well versed with car engines, but I think what you're saying above is completely wrong!

Firstly, if that was true, Maruti would not have showrooms in Shimla (all of 7000ft). I'm sure Nandi hills would be less torturous. Or would maruti be driving its cars 1000km in the plains before getting it there, I don't think so!

Secondly, as I understand, run-in is really about driving in the right RPM. So, at a good torque RPM, the car could well climb (AC on/off depending on load) any hills without any issues with the engine. When 1950s pushrod technology bullets can be taken brand new from the showroom to Gangotri, I'm sure Nimz needn't worry that much about the Spark (just right speed in each gear - like the manual would say)
Old 1st July 2007, 16:33   #13
BHPian

@ crazy @ Hercules

AC - I drove wtih the AC on with the fan at speed 1. Did not notice any perceptible drop in power or pick up. Let me think... no I didnt feel any perceptible drop or gain (this when I switched off AC).

Ride : Ride is one the better ones I have driven. I guess due to the tubeless tires and gas filled shocks. No complaints. I kinda liked the ride quality.

But Seats are a bit short. The part where you place your bottom. It just accomodates your bottom so the majority of your thighs are not supported. (Am not fat and stand at 5'7") So I guess a bigger built or taller person would find it very uncomfortable.

Build quality - looks solid. But am not that experienced to give you a correct description. If you were in Bangy would have invited you over to see for yourself. The bonnet is heavy compared to say a Zen / Santro. Door has a more thuddy feeling than a tinny feeling.

Initial FE - any pointers on how I can calculate. Doesnt have a reserve like my bike.

Rear Seat - have only driven and no one has sat in the rear seat so far. For a person my height you can sit in the rear with comfortable leg space even when the front seats are slid back. But.. if you have size 8 feet and above, getting in and out will be a problem as the space between the B pillar and the seats is very small.
Old 1st July 2007, 16:37   #14
Senior - BHPian

Excellent Writeup...Looks like u r the earliest sparky owner from Bangalore...COngrats !!!

Abhi
Old 1st July 2007, 16:40   #15
Senior - BHPian

[quote=Nimz;485787Initial FE - any pointers on how I can calculate. Doesnt have a reserve like my bike.[/quote]

Make a full tank...set the trip meter to zero, dive around for say 150-200km...then do a tankfull (probably autocut to autocut method and if possible from the same nozzle)...u will get ur FE...

Abhi
Closed Thread