Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Old 16th November 2007, 12:15   #136
Senior - BHPian

Guys, relax.... The fuel filter costs Rs 950. Earlier it used to come with the entire housing kit which costed Rs 3500+. There is no need to change the housing.

I almost got a shock, cause this engine based car will be my next buy. Hopefully the new sedan.
mail4ajo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2007, 13:28   #137
Senior - BHPian

Thanks Nikkibike and mail4ajo - SO that settles the issue. If a dealer tries to con us by changing the whole thing, now we know better.

@theMAG - here are the clock pictures you asked for.

My clock - OE NIPPON

Clock in another swift I found at the parking lot.

I think this is the TITONI one. Can someone confirm?

Last edited by kuttapan : 16th November 2007 at 13:29.
kuttapan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2007, 13:56   #138
Senior - BHPian

@Nikunj - Maruti does not recommend an oil change at 5k second service, but some of us here have done so. Myself, Jaggu etc. We even changed the oil filter for good measure.

Depends on whether you want to spend an additional 1000 bucks.
Old 16th November 2007, 14:50   #139
Distinguished - BHPian

Mine is going for second service next week on six-month time basis. I have only done 2.5K --- I think an optional oil change might be a waste of money?

Might be an idea to see if it looks clean on the dipstick, I suppose...
Thad E Ginathom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2007, 14:57   #140
BHPian

@Kuttapan: The clock in the second pic, is the TITONI one. I have the same on my Swift.

However, would have anyday preferred the OEM Nippon, where did you manage to get yours? The dealers kept saying that they don't stock them anymore due to some problem, so ended up with the aftermarket one which cost 550 bucks.
RufRoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2007, 15:14   #141
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuttapan View Post
@Nikunj - Maruti does not recommend an oil change at 5k second service, but some of us here have done so. Myself, Jaggu etc. We even changed the oil filter for good measure.

Depends on whether you want to spend an additional 1000 bucks.
Well I really dont mind spending the additional 1000 bucks if it is worthwhile . What benefit does one get if one changes oil at 5k ? Lesser noise, better pickup ,........???
nikunj_cal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2007, 17:58   #142
Senior - BHPian

@rufroc - Armtwisted my dealer into fitting it. He kept saying the same thing. No stock, lot of problems with it, etc. No problems as of yet.

@Nikunj - It gives you a good feeling of having spent an extra 1000 bucks which you could have used for diesel. If you are finicky guy like me, you will feel the engine have become smoother, quieter etc. And you may notice .05kmpl increase in fuel efficiency as well.

To be honest, I did it more with an eye on engine life, rather than anything else.
Old 16th November 2007, 18:06   #143
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikunj_cal View Post
Well I really dont mind spending the additional 1000 bucks if it is worthwhile . What benefit does one get if one changes oil at 5k ? Lesser noise, better pickup ,........???
I dont see the point in changing the oil every 5000kms. I dont think there will there be any noticable difference. Most of todays engine oils are designed to run longer retaining the viscosity even in higher temperatures.

Apart from that new age diesels are also made to run longer without service. The manufacturer recommends change only 10000kms. They also offer standard warranty upto 40000kms. I feel it will just add to the maintainence cost.
Old 17th November 2007, 19:30   #144
Senior - BHPian

Oh.. We can debate till kingdom come about the advantages of synthetic over mineral/semi synth and the changing duration.

It gives me satisfaction to have changed oil at 5000km interval, it adds 0.20 Rs to the cost per km. That makes it 2.2 + 0.2 = 2.4 Rs. OK by me.
Old 18th November 2007, 00:37   #145
Senior - BHPian

I have been using Synthetic oil in my Swift and the car is quieter and definately smoother, the clatter has vanished.

I have the titoni one and it also has a problem of time changing on its own, so all digital clocks have problems.

Need to get some on board computer to fit in that place now. Any leads?

Last edited by BUSA : 18th November 2007 at 00:39.
BUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2007, 22:51   #146
Senior - BHPian

At this time and age, I am surprised that they cannot make a proper digital clock that shows nothing else but time !!
Old 20th November 2007, 10:12   #147
BHPian

@BUSA: So far, haven't had any problems with the TITONI on my car but keeping my fingers crossed.

I wish Maruti just comes out and says 'whats wrong' with the digital clock. Just Saying 'it has problems' is such a lame excuse and only makes everyone wonder what really is the problem. And it's just the time we're talking about here (talk about expecting a clock cum temperature display) .

For long, I did manage with the time display from the Pio HU but somehow that empty space up front seemed to always stick out and finally decided to do something about it.
RufRoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2007, 11:11   #148
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUSA View Post
I have been using Synthetic oil in my Swift and the car is quieter and definately smoother, the clatter has vanished.
I know its great to have synthetic oil. But wont it upset the engine warranty claim if anything comes up? Maruti specifically says OE oil only.
Old 20th November 2007, 13:34   #149
Distinguished - BHPian

"problems" with a clock is pretty absurd, isn't it!

The car has one of the most advanced pieces of new technology under the bonnet, and they have 'problems' with technology that has been around for a few hundred years?

Even the digital version of that technology, has been around decades. Even digital clocks that were probably manufactured in some chinese cottage-industry factory and cost almost nothing, go on working faultlessly for years.

Thad E Ginathom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2007, 13:45   #150
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuttapan View Post
@theMAG - here are the clock pictures you asked for.

My clock - OE NIPPON

Kuttapan - I cant see the pic of your OE Nippon clock! Pl repost.
theMAG is offline   Reply With Quote