Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Old 26th November 2007, 14:21   #166
Senior - BHPian

Why should any sensors be changed at all if they do not fail? Do we change the engine sensors? Do we change sensors in th radiator? If no then why change sensors in the fuel filter?

As per manual only fuel filter change is recommended and not the entire kit. IMO the service center is not providing the right information.

Last edited by DieselFan : 26th November 2007 at 14:22.
DieselFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2007, 18:19   #167
Senior - BHPian

Sensors can be of different types. SO you can't stereotype them. I am inclined to believe this mech as I know he is a competent guy and will not bull**** me. I prefer to be safe rather than sorry.
kuttapan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2007, 18:51   #168
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMAG View Post
The dicky door was stuffed with cotton waste in all cavities and the door pad stuck with a single large sheet of sponge-foam quarter-inch thick. The same was stuck on all other door pads as well. Works like a charm - all road noise is filtered out, all rattles/vibes extinct and the audio sounds distinctly more upmarket.
Thanks theMag, car does rattle alot.

20k kms service will cost not more then Rs. 3500/- i am told.
BUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th November 2007, 10:14   #169
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuttapan View Post
Sensors can be of different types. SO you can't stereotype them. I am inclined to believe this mech as I know he is a competent guy and will not bull**** me. I prefer to be safe rather than sorry.
What exactly did you mean by water entering the diesel engine ??
nikunj_cal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th November 2007, 21:41   #170
Senior - BHPian

I am no expert, but I believe water in the combustion chamber of any engine can spell doom, more so for diesel engines whose compression ratios are very high.

May have other ill effects also, maybe someone can clarify.
Old 29th November 2007, 02:30   #171

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuttapan View Post
I am no expert, but I believe water in the combustion chamber of any engine can spell doom, more so for diesel engines whose compression ratios are very high.

May have other ill effects also, maybe someone can clarify.
Kuttapan, water is very dangerous for the high pressure CRD system (> 2000 bar), since it would result in instant damage of the injectors. You can only replace them. Actually, the system has a Water-In-Fuel Lamp indication on your Cluster.

With this indication, you need to open up the fuel filter to drain out the collected water.
dvswift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2007, 14:30   #172
Senior - BHPian

Ah..So thats y the sensor is so critical. thanks, dvswift.
Old 29th November 2007, 18:49   #173
BHPian

BTW, the pressure in Swift DDIS is about 1400 bar.
iridium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2007, 20:08   #174
Team-BHP Support

but i dont think changing sensor is warranted at 20 k service, that might be a fast one dealer is trying to pull. anyways lets wait and see.
Jaggu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2007, 01:09   #175
Senior - BHPian

Thumbs down S.H.I.T Happens !!

Thursday Night 8.45 p.m. - I get a call from my old school mate who had come down from the UK while in office. Shut my laptop and head to his place.
After chatting for a while , we decide to head for dinner. My friend is the co-driver, his cousin sits at the back. Both aren't belted up, so I make my friend do it. He asks me if the law is stringent here. I tell him it's for his own safety and as a rule, my co-driver has to be belted up.

I lose my way somewhere in Wilson Garden. I realise that I had taken a wrong turn, so bring my car to a halt on the left side of the road. I am contemplating reversing the car and heading back the way we came. Time - close to 11.30 in the night.

BBBBBBBBBAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAANNNNNNNNNNGGGGGGGGG GG !!!!! There is a huge thud from the back.My friend starts yelling....I realise that my worst fears have come true. Someone has done the honours of ramming my car from behind. I unlock my door and get out. Of course, it is a white call center indica. The driver is hunched on the steering wheel, there is blood on his face. I can see the windshield of the Indica has a crack, so he has taken a hit. I wonder if he is dead, so I don't touch him. My friend is a doctor, by this time he has come out through the drivers side. For some reason(maybe he was shaken), he could not open his door(I checked later and there was no problem with the door). Another Indica stops, the driver says he has seen this guy driving rashly just a while ago. Meanwhile, I call the police and inform them about the accident. The moment I give them my regn. no, they have all my details. She says that someone will be on the way, but they take their sweet time coming. Meanwhile, the driver of the Indica has come to his senses and we pull him out of the car. My friend(doc) says he is Ok, probably some broken bones, a few stiches needed. So we put him in an auto and send him to Sanjay Gandhi hospital, which is the nearest, along with my friend's cousin.

Damages to my car - Rear bumper, rear door has taken a good hit and will have to be changed. Rest of the damage has to be assessed later.
Indica is not in running condition. Bumper and hood are gone. Probably radiator and assorted paraphernalia are damaged as well. I wish it would just rust and rot there.

Cops arrive, they take stock of the situation, and ask me to take my vehicle to the Wilson garden traffic police station. We find that the Indica cannot be started, so it is pushed to the side and locked. I slowly make my way to the police station. The cab is owned by Janani tours and travels - a few of the fellow cabbies turn up at the hospital, but I end up paying for the drivers x-ray, medicines etc as they don't seem inclined to pay.I did not make an issue, though. Indica Driver got away with a few stiches on his upper lip. I ask him several times what he was doing and how the accident happened, but he does not talk. I would have liked to smash his face into pulp, but see his sorry state, I control myself. My friend greases the palms of the two policemen, presumably to speak for us(later realise it was never needed in the first place). THe travels guys later turn up at the police station, but we don't reach a conclusion. ASI asks us to come in the morning, wherein the travels owner is also supposed to come.

I hand over the keys of my car, write a complaint and go to my friends pad to get some shut eye. I am back at the police station at 8.a.m but the travel guys come only by 11 or so. Meanwhile I get friendly with the Inspector at the station(see the cops thread) who actually asks me to go and make the travel guys wait, when they come. I tell him that is not an option as my house is quite far, though I like his idea. The travels guys want a compromise, they offer me 10k. I am frankly surprised at their offer - I never expected it in the first place - but since it wont cover my repair costs, I refuse. I decide to go ahead with a case and make a fresh complaint. Inspector sees to it that all the necessary formalities are completed in record time and a requisition sent to RTO to come and inspect the vehicle, so that he can release it for me. Even the FIR is done in double quick time.

The RTO however does not come. It is 4p.m. I need a witness to sign the FIR, so I call my friend and ask him to come. He comes by 5, signs the documents, still no sign of RTO. I decide to go home, shower, change clothes and come back. Frankly, I don't expect the RTO to come on the same day. I leave. I also leave my mobile number with the cops, so they can call me if the RTO comes. Unfortunately, my mobile battery is almost drained. The RTO does come at 5.30 or so, but by then I am on my way home an mobile is switched off, so I didn't get to know.

I come back to the Police station at 8.p.m, the Inspector says - everything done, you can take your vehicle. He asks his sub-ordinate to release my vehicle immediately and apologizes for the delay. He is feeling genuinely sad for me. He says - you are not even the accused here, and I am sorry that your day had to be spent at the police stations. He even asks me to drop in when I am passing by. We shake hands and he leaves.

I call Pratham and informs them that I am bringing my car over. They say that they close by 9. I am driving my battered car through the dense traffic, pretending to be oblivious about the looks my car and I am getting. I reach Pratham at 9.15, they are closed. Security says they cannot open the gates and I have to leave my car outside. I give them a stern look and park outside. I tell them that I will write to Maruti about this - if a towed accident vehicle can enter anytime, why not a self driven vehicle? Because the nature of accident was such, that the vehicle could be driven? They get scared, call someone and informs me that I can park my car inside. Ok, I say and park it inside.

I call my friend to say that the vehicle has been released. I get some more bad news. His brothers vehicle has been rear ended by a truck at Marathahalli and it ends up into a 3-4 car pileup. The common factor seems to be my friend and his cousin. I make a mental note to never take these guys in my car again.

Saturday morning, I go to Pratham and fill up some forms to claim the insurance and give them a copy of the FIR. I learn that the insurance guys have saturday off, so I will have to wait till Monday for the survey. I get the numbers of the Body repair shop guys and leave.

8 hours to go to Pratham to get the formalities completed.

I have to get some more sleep. btw, I forgot to say this - I hate cabbies - I will hate them for the rest of my life.

(pics in the next post)

Last edited by kuttapan : 10th December 2007 at 01:14. Reason: I just like to edit my posts - at least once.
Old 10th December 2007, 01:27   #176
Distinguished - BHPian

thats awful news, hope your car gets back to good shape without further fuss. have a good night's sleep and everything will turn out fine tomorrow.. all the best
BlackPearl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2007, 08:19   #177
Senior - BHPian

Thats really unfortunate...I know these cabbies better now...that I am driving daily to office 25km oneway from CV Raman nagar to Electronic City...Sometimes they really do some very rash driving specially in the night time...

Anyway, dont worry. Since you are fine in the incident, Your car will be in shape soon.

Abhi
akroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2007, 09:33   #178
Senior - BHPian

Very sorry to hear about the Accident. Good that you are safe.

All the best and speedy and efficient recovery to car.

Regards,

Ravi.
ravibhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2007, 10:05   #179
Team-BHP Support

speedy recovery to your car kuttapa.
Jaggu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2007, 10:25   #180
BHPian

Sorry about it Kuttappan. Thank God for you guys are safe.

I have couple of questions, sorry for my ignorance.

I did not understand the whole process.
  1. Why do we need to file an FIR?
  2. Since this is not your mistake, whether your insurance will be affected? are you going to claim from your insurance?
blorebuddy is offline   Reply With Quote