Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Old 18th September 2007, 17:16   #106
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuttapan View Post
Sorry Biju, I did read your post, but forgot to reply.

AFAIK, these are just asymmetric tyres, not directional. You just have to ensure the "OUTSIDE" mark of the tyre is actually on the outside. Does not change when you rotate tyres.
Yes, you are right , thanks for the reply.
BijuPaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2007, 23:57   #107
Senior - BHPian

Default 10000 kms in 4.5 months !!

Mods, request you to please change the title of this thread to - 10000km update.

Guys, it's been a long time since I updated this thread. Just finished my third service at 10151 kms on the odo.

Every km in the 4 1/2 months has been enjoyable and I enjoy driving it so much so that my bikes have gathered too much of dust from disuse.

Mileage has hovered in the 14-17kmpl mark in the city limits, not been on the highway for sometime now. Tried using BP normal diesel, the engine was quieter than Shell, but gave atrocious mileage. Promptly switched back to HP normal, which is my regular brew now. Moreover, this particular pump(HP - AECS Layout) is very reliable, so no more experimentation. Maybe an occasional turbojet/Shell refill, that's all(for the additives).

Issues faced -

1. Wiping quality gone bad. Reported it at service. They did not change the wiper blades(as done for Jaggu's car, but told me the issue has been fixed. Yet to check it out). I was asked if I park the car in direct sunlight. Was asked push the wipers away from the windscreen on such occasions so that the blade rubber does not melt and deteriorate. So that's why wiper blades on some parked cars are not in the wipe position !

2. Occasional(very rare) hesitation from the engine. Service advisor was aware of the problem, he said it has to do something with the acceleration pedal sensor - he just checked the contacts, I believe.
3. The minor leak on the driver side front door. Said to be rectified, yet to test. Will get back on this. Problem is, the car has to be left overnight in pouring rain to find some amount of water.
4. Got a clock fitted and the fitting guys undid all the efforts of the earlier guys who fixed the dashboard rattles. Yet to get it completely fixed, going to Pratham tomorrow.

On the nandi hills tBHP meet, I was getting some odd sounds from the front suspension during the no-roading session, I was worried about it, but Maruti says the suspension is OK. Car does not make any sounds while on good roads, so I believe them. The window rattles etc happen only on broken surfaces.

A/C is just so-so. Cannot chill the occupants during the afternoon, but can just about make them comfortable. I feel that there are hot and cold zones created in the car, but then maybe I watched that bluestar ad too closely.

My major grouse with the car was it's front seat - which the automags hail as great - has been dealt with. The solution was - guess? ADAPTATION ! I adapted myself to the seat and now do not feel any discomfort.

WISHLIST -

1. Rear Wiper !!
2. Pete's box

in that order, yes. Don't know why Maruti skimps on such things on a 6 lakh(well, almost) car.

I pitted my car against a peted swift(thanks for obliging me, Karthik) both on straights and climbs and the Pete'd swift was awesome. It has that added grunt throughout the rev range and I could just play second fiddle.
kuttapan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th November 2007, 11:24   #108
BHPian

Default Same issues....

Quote:
1. Wiping quality gone bad. Reported it at service. They did not change the wiper blades(as done for Jaggu's car, but told me the issue has been fixed. Yet to check it out). I was asked if I park the car in direct sunlight. Was asked push the wipers away from the windscreen on such occasions so that the blade rubber does not melt and deteriorate. So that's why wiper blades on some parked cars are not in the wipe position !
I also face the issue has to report in next service. 2.5k to go.

Quote:
2. Occasional(very rare) hesitation from the engine. Service advisor was aware of the problem, he said it has to do something with the acceleration pedal sensor - he just checked the contacts, I believe.
What do you mean by hesitation?

Quote:
3. The minor leak on the driver side front door. Said to be rectified, yet to test. Will get back on this. Problem is, the car has to be left overnight in pouring rain to find some amount of water.
Exactly, I have also noticed on Diwali day. My car was under heavy downpour around 4 hours. Noticed the wet surface under the mats in the front driver seat

Quote:
On the nandi hills tBHP meet, I was getting some odd sounds from the front suspension during the no-roading session, I was worried about it, but Maruti says the suspension is OK.
Is this a -tuk-tuk sound? Esp. while turning? I was having it and reported to Mandovi, they rectified it

Quote:
A/C is just so-so. Cannot chill the occupants during the afternoon, but can just about make them comfortable.
Yes. if it is a hot afternoon..its just ok.
blorebuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th November 2007, 11:36   #109
Senior - BHPian

@Blorebuddy - Hesitation in the sense, I depress the accelerator pedal, the car waits for a couple of seconds before responding to the input and then proceeds as if everything is normal. On a particular day, it refused to climb the incline to exit my parking. Had to do a lot of cajoling etc to get her do it(Sounding, kinky, am I?). Never missed a beat since then. In fact, today, she just hurried up that 30 deg slope - So I guess all is well.

It is that tuk tuk sound and you are right ! It usually is very audible when the steering is under full lock, during parking etc. Do you know what was done?

Mods - Thread title update please.

Last edited by kuttapan : 12th November 2007 at 11:46.
Old 12th November 2007, 11:40   #110
Team-BHP Support

Kuttapan,

How abt a pic of your clock?
theMAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th November 2007, 12:33   #111
BHPian

Kuttapan many a times when i am just entering the drivers seat of my Swift D, my lap hits the steering wheel and I hear a rumbling sound coming from beneath my car . It happens only sometimes. My wheel at that time are straight , Has anybody else noticed anything similar like this ?

Also recently my car was unfortunate to have gone through a huge potholed at high speed, After that i seem to get a rattling sound sometimes coming from the front (middle to be more precise) at times especially on rough rods, what could be the problem ?

P.S : the rumbling sound is coming for quite some time now even before the car had gone thru that huge pothole at high speed !
nikunj_cal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th November 2007, 12:45   #112
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blorebuddy View Post
Yes. if it is a hot afternoon..its just ok.
If this is in Bangalore, it definitely points to something being wrong! An AC not being able to cool properly during an afternoon in Bangalore's winter should be checked, shouldnt it?
mtnrajdeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th November 2007, 17:26   #113
BHPian

Quote:
@Blorebuddy - Hesitation in the sense, I depress the accelerator pedal, the car waits for a couple of seconds before responding to the input and then proceeds as if everything is normal. On a particular day, it refused to climb the incline to exit my parking. Had to do a lot of cajoling etc to get her do it(Sounding, kinky, am I?). Never missed a beat since then. In fact, today, she just hurried up that 30 deg slope - So I guess all is well.
Got it. Are you driving in 1st or 2nd gear? May be reducing the gear and trying will do.. I usually do not push accelerator for short and small climbs (esp. in the apartment, office parking etc) ...just releasing the clutch does the job.

Quote:

It is that tuk tuk sound and you are right ! It usually is very audible when the steering is under full lock, during parking etc. Do you know what was done?
First the service advisor told it is suspension sound and if he applies some spray that will go off. But it did not and I have complained again and he has corrected it and delivered it at home so I did not get an explanation.
Old 12th November 2007, 17:33   #114
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnrajdeep View Post
If this is in Bangalore, it definitely points to something being wrong! An AC not being able to cool properly during an afternoon in Bangalore's winter should be checked, shouldnt it?
Sorry this observation is not in Bangalore and in NH7 stretch Tamilnadu.
I would not say it is not cooling properly.

It is cooling but not chilling me down. The AC has to be always ON at fan speed of 2. But in the evening say after 4 PM or so I cant keep the AC with same fan speed for more than 20mins either I need to reduce the fan speed or reduce temperature or switch off.
Old 12th November 2007, 19:38   #115
Senior - BHPian

@theMAG - Clock pic, I will put up in a day or two.

@Nikunj - Well, my lap has never hit the steering wheel(at least I never noticed) and anyway there is no rumbling sound.

@mtnrajdeep - Afternoon's in Bangalore winter(what winter?) are still hot, especially when the car has been parked in hot sun for a few hours(it would be the almost same everywhere). I could judge the difference by sitting in my friends fiesta, I had to ask him to switch off the a/c in the evening, which I never do in my Swift.
Old 12th November 2007, 19:42   #116
Senior - BHPian

@Blorebuddy - There was no pattern to the hesitation, it happened in different gears and at different rpm levels and it certainly wasn't turbo lag.

The climb I am referring to should be well over 30 deg, no car is going to climb it without your foot firmly stamped on the pedal.
Old 12th November 2007, 19:57   #117
BHPian

Surprising regarding the AC on the Swift DDIS.
My Swift VDI has done 5.5k kms and if I have the fan switch at 2 with AC on, it gets cold in a few minutes and I need to switch back to 1.
I find it very effective with 3-4 people on board.
Usually I am alone in the car.

Regarding Philips 100/90W bulb, the bulb MRP is Rs. 155 and I got them for Rs. 150 each.
The 200W DC cutout is something called "Ace" and the package with the bulbs was Rs. 650.
However was told that the cut out was not required for Swift DDIS and hence paid Rs. 300 for the bulbs. Changing the bulbs takes a few minutes.
The lighting is definitely good.

Question from my end is that I have changed to Castrol Edge 5W-40 in the 5k service. Is this Ok for the car ?.

Its CF approved while the manual recommends CG-4.
It is ACEA A3/B3/B4 approved too.

Regards
Ravi.
iridium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th November 2007, 21:31   #118
BHPian

Quote:
I could judge the difference by sitting in my friends fiesta, I had to ask him to switch off the a/c in the evening, which I never do in my Swift.
Ideally, you should be comparing it with another Swift. Only then it will be possible to know if there is a drop in AC cooling.
mtnrajdeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th November 2007, 22:02   #119
Team-BHP Support

AC is fine for me also, cant do more than level 2 in bangalore afternoon's, it doesnt become bone chillin or anthing but surely does become lil un comfy.
Jaggu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13th November 2007, 09:38   #120
BHPian

Default Swift's swiftFE

Hi,

I just came back from Highway ride on my Swift VDi with 1st service done. It was a sheer pleasure to drive as always. Loved its speed. I got a FE 23kmpl on highway. Filled up HighSpeed Diesel from BP. It was just awesome. Looking forward for more such journeys with a great FE

Anmol
anmolbedi is offline   Reply With Quote