Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Old 24th July 2007, 03:28   #31
BANNED

@wondernomad..... I use a Petra 1.9D! I never wanted to own one but this one was forced upon me.
Please PM me and I will try and help you.

@Extreme..... Does owning means buying one with my own money? I have been using a Petra 1.9D for more than a year now. I rarely drive it. My driver does it. It is used mostly for my grandparents (they were the ones who paid for it) and does chomp a lot of kilometers like all our other cars. Our Petra is nearing 80k kms or so now. The car is only 1.4 years old.

Why should you be so defensive about Fiat's A.S.S? I think it was not necessary here. Or is it in every Fiat related thread?

My Alto has covered a distance of 40k kms in 10 months. Our Innova has covered more than 60k kms in a year. My Qualis has done 9k kms in It's first month of purchase. My old Qualis has done 1.6L kms in It's 3 years. Our Merc W124 250D had done 1.4L kms in 6 years and now It's sold. Our second Innova is almost 25k kms. Our new Swift VDI did more than 300kms in It's first day. Our 2 M800s have done some where close to 40k kms. Our Accord has done 32k kms in 3years.
Our Merc E 220 CDI is the least used with less than 10k in last 4 months or so. That was due to a steering change in which the current steering was sent to Dubai to get a new identical one. And it took nearly 1 month and a small ECU problem which made us ignore the car most of the times. Also remember this car was bought 2nd hand so we were expecting these kinda problems.

Out of all these cars, nothing has given us more headaches than the Petra. Yes, the E220 included. The amount of money it has gobbled in spares and service was enough for me to buy a 2nd hand Baleno. Yes, more than 2.5L has been spent on this car.
Starter mechanism was changed twice. Clutch assembly was changed innumerous times. Engine was rebuilt when a con rod broke due to the car hitting a pot hole at high speed (Service guys said so!). Power window assembly changed 2 times. Day before yesterday, it was not working though.
It also takes 5 reheats before it starts in the morning and 2 reheats after that. Sun visors fall off every now and then. And the replacement spare part is yet to arrive at our service station since the last 4 months.
Guys, it is a hell. I hate to drive that car. When I am forced to keep it for few days, (mostly when my Qualis is taken away for my grand parents) I park it somewhere in the shade and forget it until I am very much needed for it.

You may ask my neighbours how much I hate this car. Because, they see the car in my house and they all go laughing at me.

Don't just take my word for all this. Some other BHPians have driven and experienced this car too.

I think now you understand why I have that four letter word which starts with F! No, not Ford nor the other one.
speedzak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2007, 09:27   #32
Senior - BHPian

What speedzak says is true - I don't know him personally, but there are some, nay too many horror stories. That being said, there are horror stories from other manufacturers as well. In the case of Fiat, however, the manufacturer has managed to feed the bad reputation as well. In the case of other manufacturers, the bad cases either get swept under the carpet or are taken care of. This is because there is more choice in terms of dealerships implying that there are more competent dealers around. Also more sales means more buy in, more spares etc etc. It can either be a benevolent or vicious cycle. Fiat has managed to create the latter for itself.

I have seen Marutis and Hondas falling apart after a few years and Fiats that are still going strong after 9 years (this one is a Siena in office). No paint fading, no complaints about service. The owner says that the F.E. is not great - that is all.

I think what is highlighted in this thread is that Rishi takes care of his car(s). Many people don't do that and then wonder what is going wrong. What is also highlighted is that you can get stuck with the crappiest piece off the assembly line - Speedzak, McLaren etc are proof of that.

My car has not given me any trouble that is not my fault - except a starter motor that conked out and had to be replaced. I have rattles, yes. But you don't even ask where I have taken the car out. My electricals don't function great - but don't ask how long the rats had a free run in the car while I was in the US.

There are tonnes of people who have trouble with other cars who are not on this forum. Also, there are many people who have good things to say about Fiat who are not on this forum. Lets live and let live and not use the first possible opportunity to bash another model/make. I would say this to people who would bash Tata and Hyundai as well because these are the other two manufacturers that get stick here. Sometimes, unfairly.

Last edited by typeOnegative : 24th July 2007 at 09:29.
typeOnegative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2007, 15:09   #33
Senior - BHPian

Question

but out here what I want to know is is it worth a deal to buy the 1.9 D @ 5.25 considering that my other option is the indigo marina which is costing me 6.10.
Also please let me know the FE overall, city/highway and also that whether @ 63 PS , is it underpowered and does it show?
wanderernomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2007, 16:36   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderernomad View Post
but out here what I want to know is is it worth a deal to buy the 1.9 D @ 5.25 considering that my other option is the indigo marina which is costing me 6.10.
Also please let me know the FE overall, city/highway and also that whether @ 63 PS , is it underpowered and does it show?

1.9 D? is this a petra 1.9d ? then from where are you getting it?.
rapideffect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2007, 16:47   #35
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
It must be an old stock petra D. A brand new Marina will be a better bet. Fiat has stopped production of the Petra, so spares may be a big problem.
tsk1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2007, 17:03   #36
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Fiat has stopped production of the Petra, so spares may be a big problem.
90% of the Petra except the Boot is a Palio. It shouldn't be a problem to get regular spares for routine services, etc. But the Marina is a better deal at present for you.
moralfibre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2007, 17:09   #37
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by moralfibre View Post
90% of the Petra except the Boot is a Palio. It shouldn't be a problem to get regular spares for routine services, etc. But the Marina is a better deal at present for you.
Well if he was talking about the Petrol Petra, it would be true, but the problem is that 1.9D has been orphaned, and though its a great car, for all practical purposes its best to stay away from such a vehicle.
Old 24th July 2007, 17:13   #38
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Well if he was talking about the Petrol Petra, it would be true, but the problem is that 1.9D has been orphaned, and though its a great car, for all practical purposes its best to stay away from such a vehicle.
Oops I didn't read the 1.9D part. Spares for this car are mighty expensive and difficult to come by. Its better to stick to the Marina.
moralfibre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2007, 17:57   #39
Team-BHP Support

Rishi, thats a nice report of your petra.

i have recently driven the Fiat Petra 1.6ELX from Mumbai to Pune on the expressway and must say that it was an awesome experience. This drive also included a quick trip to amby valley on those twisting roads and the car hugged to the road like it was no tomorrow.

Though my friend whose car i was driving was running them on Bridgestone S322's the grip was just about adequate but bigger rubber would have certainely made a difference.

Overall, it was a fantastic experience driving the Petra
mobike008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2007, 20:12   #40
Senior - BHPian

@Rapid: Yes I mean a 1.9d only. Samyak motors in Delhi says he can get a June production car for me.
@moralfibre : I meant the 1.9d version. Have they discontinued the Palio Diesel as well? Wont TATA be offerring the parts & service for the 1.9? What about the regular FIAT dealers?
I know I am sounding all confused but please help me out.

@tsk : The dealer says the car is still being produced on demand this year. Any place we can cross check? Any FIAT people around to reply and clear the doubts? He says it is being discontinued only because of the product clash with Indigo.

Last edited by tsk1979 : 24th July 2007 at 21:58.
Old 24th July 2007, 22:00   #41
Team-BHP Support

Look on fiat India website. There is just the Stile and adventure. No mention of any 1.9D. So stay away. Dealer will say anything to clear old stock. IF some day something fails and you don't get a part you are in trouble. Look at speedzak he can't find seemingly easy to find parts.
So take the safe option of an Indigo TDi. I guess thats around 5.5 on road for brand new in Delhi
Old 24th July 2007, 22:11   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Have they discontinued the Palio Diesel as well? Wont TATA be offerring the parts & service for the 1.9?
Yes the palio diesel has also been discontinued.Tata is not supporting diesel cars from fiat for the moment.

Quote:
The dealer says the car is still being produced on demand this year.
I don't think that's correct,the dealer just wants to pass off the old car to you.

Last edited by rahul_intlad : 24th July 2007 at 22:17.
rahul_intlad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2007, 23:03   #43
Senior - BHPian

@ Rapid : It is a 1.9d and I am being offered the car by Samyak Autos in Delhi.

Gents I would appreciate if you can provide me with the tele nos for the FIAT dealers in your respective regions please.I would like to talk to as many as possible and verify the claims of Samyak.

Last edited by wanderernomad : 24th July 2007 at 23:14. Reason: An afterthought.
Old 26th July 2007, 13:07   #44
BHPian

Quote:
@ Rapid : It is a 1.9d and I am being offered the car by Samyak Autos in Delhi.

Gents I would appreciate if you can provide me with the tele nos for the FIAT dealers in your respective regions please.I would like to talk to as many as possible and verify the claims of Samyak.
Place a counter offer to them with the price of a used car of the similar year of mfg or may be lesser. Then try your luck if you are really on it.
rapideffect is offline   Reply With Quote