Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Old 27th July 2007, 07:03   #16
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by innersky View Post
The -U- had posted "
"This is a major gripe. I didn't realize fully that there is no slip in the drive line even on 4HI mode. When there is no slip, one can't really use the 4x4 on the tarmac. I wish TATA had given us some slip on 4HI and no slip on 4LO. I don't think its too much to ask. When it rains on the mountain twisties, it would have been advantageous to have 4HI with some slip."

What does this mean ? Sorry if I seem ignorant.
Enagaging 4WD on tarmac is strictly forbidden by TATA on both 4Hi and 4Lo. Check this post and a few below for details:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...tml#post238826

although I think the front differential gets locked on both 4Hi and 4Lo. In contrast, the new MarutiSuzuki Grand Vitara has a 4WD mode for tarmac in addition to 4Hi and 4Lo.

Other helpful links are also on the above thread. Check also:

Howstuffworks "How Four-Wheel Drive Works"

Howstuffworks "How Differentials Work"

Hope this helps.
THE-U- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2007, 11:28   #17
Senior - BHPian

Just tested the grand vitara for offroad capability.
Very very good.
Will post the details in the grand vitara TD thread.

cheers,
anandpadhye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2007, 13:35   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE-U View Post

tata should give an over ride switch to choose between ABS and regular braking.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BUSA View Post

LOL that is not possible buddy.
Actually, it is. Some off road vehicles (G Class mercs for example) allow ABS to be switched off. Off road, ABS will actually result in longer stop distances. I had a BMW R1100GS bike in which ABS could be switched off.

Gears,
Red-One.
RedOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2007, 16:09   #19
BHPian

Congratulations on a fantastic review, The-U. It must have taken quite an amount of patience to write this big review. Spot On and I can vouch for some of the weak links you have mentioned.

Hope you have many many more miles of unadulterated driving pleasure with the beast.

Keep driving.

-Sumit
sumitsingh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2007, 13:31   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE-U- View Post
Window tint only for the second and third row windows and the rear wind shield
Hi 'The-U-'

I never saw an SUV tinted only the middle and the last row. Do you have a pic took from side of the vehicle? And whats the percentage of visibility the tint offers? If you are not intend to have 'privacy' in the cabin may be you could go for a film with high transparency visible light spectrum and a good UV protection. (As you did not tint the front-row-window 'privacy' can not be the purpose )
binoy_tharakan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2007, 14:02   #21
BHPian

Default Good that Safari has a side cladding!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Cladding protects the body when going off-road. In the event of damage, You would rather replace one single plastic part than dent / paint a body panel.
Thumps up to you GTO, Its just a day over an Indica brushed my Dicor on the front left at a traffic signal. The caby was trying to get in front of me at the signal and brushed the small cladding portion just above the front left wheel. Good that Safari has multiple sections for its side cladding and I will have to replace only the piece above the wheel.
Old 3rd August 2007, 16:14   #22
BHPian

Default Tire pressure recommendations for safari

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE-U- View Post
What is the real tyre pressure to use? I am somewhat concerned about the obvious differences between dealer recommendation and the manual. The SUVs in the US most of them recommend 35PSI all around and most of them are lighter than the Safari.
Most of the cases its good to stick to what the manual says, but if the case is about the tire pressure, its good not to go for 35Psi on all 4 wheels as in India you will see what in Florida consider to be 'off road' at most of the places-Kerala is just the best example! Having a higher tire pressure will only help your tire to have premature side wall cracks due to the protruding stones on road.

My request is to hold on to the Tata's recommendations(-32 for front and 35 for rear(again its depends on the vehicle loading!). If you are not satisfied with what manufacturer says -You may find bits of info about the tire pressure recommendation for different terrains in the following link- its a generic information page on 4x4 driving.

I would like to end it up by saying that increasing tire pressure will have the following impacts.

Better steering of vehicle
Better Mileage
Poor ride quality
poor breaking ability
Cuts on the sidewall of your tires (I have experienced it myself at Kerala-Idukki itself!)
Old 3rd August 2007, 17:06   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binoy_tharakan View Post
You may find bits of info about the tire pressure recommendation for different terrains in the following link- its a generic information page on 4x4 driving.
Sorry..
The link URL is here
4WDriving Techniques Index
Old 16th August 2007, 08:32   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumitsingh View Post
Congratulations on a fantastic review, The-U. It must have taken quite an amount of patience to write this big review. Spot On and I can vouch for some of the weak links you have mentioned.
Thanks Sumit for your kind wishes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by binoy_tharakan View Post
Hi 'The-U-'

I never saw an SUV tinted only the middle and the last row. Do you have a pic took from side of the vehicle? And whats the percentage of visibility the tint offers? If you are not intend to have 'privacy' in the cabin may be you could go for a film with high transparency visible light spectrum and a good UV protection.
I don't know the percentage of tint, but its pretty dark. I don't have picture handy at the moment, but will post if I find one. The tint does give privacy for the second row occupants (slightly better for sleeping kids etc). I didn't want any film on the front windows as it somewhat reduces visibility one way or the other.

Regarding the tyre pressure, I am still trying to figure out why the dealers universally recommend 30 psi all around. Is it just for improving the ride quality?
Old 16th August 2007, 09:03   #25
Senior - BHPian

Nice review.Your review was spot on.
Once I was in 4WD doing 120 kmph (for about 1Km)when I realised with a shock that I was on 4Hi. Quickly slowed down and put it back into 2WD. Thankfully nothing happened.
I find that I need to put the AC on max speed to get cool when the car is parked in the sun. Also, the front vents cannot be aimed straight at the driver unless both vents are turned towards him.
Next time you are in Madurai, give me a call. Would love to meet up with a fellow bhp-ian.
jyobeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th August 2007, 08:22   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jyobeb View Post
Nice review.Your review was spot on.
Once I was in 4WD doing 120 kmph (for about 1Km)when I realised with a shock that I was on 4Hi. Quickly slowed down and put it back into 2WD. Thankfully nothing happened.
That is a big relief. Perhaps there weren't too many turns. Otherwise axle binding would occur and I believe the tyres may go first before the transaxle in Indian conditions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jyobeb View Post
I find that I need to put the AC on max speed to get cool when the car is parked in the sun. Also, the front vents cannot be aimed straight at the driver unless both vents are turned towards him.
Next time you are in Madurai, give me a call. Would love to meet up with a fellow bhp-ian.
Will do. Thanks for the info earlier with regards to the ARAS in Madurai. The A/C definitely needs to have more capacity on the Safari and vents redesigned for proper circulation.