Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Old 15th June 2008, 13:05   #91
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insane Devil View Post
8. Right & Left moving Xenons. ( this am not too sure. the dealer said it moves left and right with the steering in dark - someone please confirm if its true)
When you start Laura, the xenons go up/down. When you start Passat, the lights go Up/down *and* left/right. Beautiful sight!

Xenons tilt in the direction of the steering input to help you see more of that area. Without this feature, you will see the road after taking the turn instead of while turning.

I have also been curious to find out what can be a logical upgrade to Laura L&K. It is way too 'loaded' and sometimes you wonder if you should just directly go for E/5/A6 range and skip the C/3/A4!
androdev is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15th June 2008, 21:19   #92
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by androdev View Post

I have also been curious to find out what can be a logical upgrade to Laura L&K. It is way too 'loaded' and sometimes you wonder if you should just directly go for E/5/A6 range and skip the C/3/A4!
Unless you want handling , the badge and a little more power!!!!
ajmat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th June 2008, 23:11   #93
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Unless you want handling , the badge and a little more power!!!!
you have a point. i do not have any false notions about the greatness of Laura :-)

but this is my personal opinion. i am not really into 'power' so for the 100kmph speeds i do Laura is more than adequate. it is 70-80kmph if I am with family.

what i am interested in is creature comforts and safety. badge value is proportional to the money you pay (there is no other criteria for badge value, IMHO)

things i would like to have in my next upgrade:
>better overall safety rating
>all seats electrically adjustable
>electric sun blinds for at least rear and rear-side windows as i don't like sun film
>boot lid that opens/closes fully with remote
>state-of-the art ICE (dvd, bluetooth, ipod, internet, gps, etc.)
>bi-xenons
>better parking sensors
>bigger (panorama) sun roof
... there are more but these will do for now ;-)
Old 16th June 2008, 09:43   #94
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by androdev View Post
things i would like to have in my next upgrade:
>better overall safety rating
>all seats electrically adjustable
>electric sun blinds for at least rear and rear-side windows as i don't like sun film
>bi-xenons
>better parking sensors
>bigger (panorama) sun roof
... there are more but these will do for now ;-)
No car has all of the abover

better overall safety rating - Mercs and BMW - mind you the Laura is pretty good

>all seats electrically adjustable - Merc S Class / BMW 3/5 - do you need it if you are sole driver?

>electric sun blinds for at least rear and rear-side windows as i don't like sun film - Merc / BMW

Merc/ BMW - opens, only the Lexus, Merc S class, have the closing - use gravity, it is more greener!

None offer all this in India. Merc gives you bluetooth

>bi-xenons - Merc E class
>better parking sensors - Not sure if BMW offer it - surprising ommission from Merc
>bigger (panorama) sun roof - Merc E320 on special order
ajmat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2008, 11:56   #95
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Classic dilemma, androdev. It only highlights the fact that once you own a 15 - 20 lakh sedan (Laura, Accord etc.), any car from the segment above will have a lower cost / benefits ratio. An upgrade to the Benz / Beemer / Audi segments is more for intangible benefits than any else.

Ajmat, do you remember this interesting discussion we had in 2004?
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2008, 18:40   #96
BHPian

Androdev, u are absolutly right about this dilema! and right now i am exactly at that point! I have the Tucson that i want to do off with, and no proper replacement SUV in around 27-33 range! the goods ones are now all above 50lk onroad.

Now i am considering going for a sedan, and the problem is.. as we have a Laura in teh house, what is a good upgrade! u rightly said that the next rightly upgrade is actually the 50lk range sedans, as the laura would be almost equal to the C, 320d & A4 in the features and fittings wise. Other than going for them for Brand Value, dont find anything good in them! they are way cramped in the rear!

SO well, Passat is still in my top list, in case i find the new A4 too pricey for what it is. I dont mind the 35lk price, but wouldn;t buy it if i dont get much out of it.

So finally Passat sure looks a great buy, and Black would be my color! (yes, i hate it, but it looks beautiful in it, and as it will mostly be with my wife, so i can afford a black ) she is a very careful and relaxed driver. good for me!
Insane Devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2008, 20:25   #97
Senior - BHPian

Curse of the Black. Can't live with it. Can't live without it!!

If the upgrade is inevitable, then I suggest go for BMW or A4. I would not buy Passat. Would drive the ol' Laura till I can print some more cash.

Passat is a lovely car, no doubt. But it is exactly in the middle of the Laura, A4 spectrum. As such I want to skip A4 and join the A6/E/5 range - now Passat is too many baby steps!

All my posts are hypothetical and I am not planning any upgrade :-) I enjoy writing in first person about such expensive concepts.
Old 21st June 2008, 16:13   #98
BHPian

Androdev, with me, its like the laura is with my father. we both live seperately, so he keeps it with him, and Tucson is with me. Now only in teh day times, when we are in office i drive the laura if i go out , coz he picks and drops me back everyday as our homes are on the same route. So for me, its more like upgrading from the Tucson, than upgrading from Laura.

I luv the automatic in laura, and well, all the extra luxury features coming in with the PAssat is surely good.
- The Paddle shift, along with the superb automatic DSG!
- The Electronic Parking Brake
- The rear electronic sunshade for windscreen
- Rear door sunshades
- Excellent Pickup.

Now these things are sure a nice upgrade for me from the Tucson.

The reason i am not very keen on the 320d, thou its definately a SUPERB car, is that i found it a little too small for me, being an SUV lover, and having cars which are big and spacy, the 320d and the current A4 both are horribly small for me. The entry and exit of these cars thru the driver door, i found less than the Laura too! and yea, i got extra love of my wife on my stomach too, so u know, its good if someone is lean kinda.

So till now, overall, passat does seem to be the only righteous upgrade.

I am thinking that if i take the Passat now, then 4 years later, i can think of the 525d/A6. Coz in case i go for the new A4, i will be stretching my budget to a bit, so no point if u aint getting what u want.

The 320d being an awesome car, excellent cruiser, and even better at sporty driving, but with our indian roads, if i take it on highways, its a pain! with our present road conditions, we have uneven roads, and stuff like that even now in most parts of the country. So in those situations the passat is the best bet, with its excellent suspensions.

But well, i go out once a year with the car, so no big deal. But in City, the 320d sure gave me a bad bad feel on a small pothole on the road! i was really dissapointed with the horrible suspensions (or due to runflats) that cause it to be so harsh in the potholes and stuff. And as in many other cities, even hyd roads are bad!

While on the same lines, the current A4's suspension setup really IMPRESSED me! it was so nice and soft ride, with very good handling too, not as good as the beemer. hence the reason, i am waiting for the new A4.

But with me, its like, till last moment i dont what i am going to strike. Some funny calculations/reasonings might come up in my head and make me go for something which i LIKE a lot, but have a couple of negatives due to which i dont keep them on top of the list!
Old 21st June 2008, 19:55   #99
Senior - BHPian

My bad. i didn't read your posts properly. i was under the impression that you were replacing Laura.

BMW should have kept run-flats as an option instead of "standard". I do not believe run-flats make much sense in Indian context.
Old 22nd June 2008, 14:24   #100
Senior - BHPian

I believe the Passat now comes with a 3 year maintainence package like BMW and Volvo.
amit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2008, 09:35   #101
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit View Post
I believe the Passat now comes with a 3 year maintainence package like BMW and Volvo.
actually quite different ..
VW is giving it free of cost

email offer from mumbai VW dealer

----

Dear Sir,

This is in regards for the discount offered an AT/B6 model of Passat called as the Special package.

In which Consumables and Labor will be free 3 years or 45000 kms. The consumables which will be free will be as follows (Engine Oil, lock cylinder oil lubricant,

Engine Oil Filter, Drain Pug, Air Filter, Fuel Filter, Pollen Filter.) Will be F.O.C to the customer and the rest of the parts will be chargeable. This offer is only

Applicable for this month.

----

Last edited by Mad Monkey : 23rd June 2008 at 09:38.
Mad Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th June 2008, 19:42   #102
BANNED

This car IMHO is the best car for city driving!! small sporty and yet turns heads like no c lass or beemer.. people wander what the VW sign on the chrome grill is and you'll love it:P
Big Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2008, 03:06   #103
BHPian

Now VW really knows how to degrade a car or should i say play around with ppl's money! imagine paying 6 lakhs extra for just a few things extra! With the CRDi engined passat out by Diwali @ 20lk ex showroom - 22lk OnRoad, (THIS IS MANUAL SHIFTING!) the Passat Highline DSG S model loses all its charm paying 28lk for a 22lk car. And above that, the CRDi engine is going to be more better than the current engine too! The current engine has a very bad turbo lag as of now. When u peddle down the accelerator, it waits for a couple of seconds, takes the rpm above 2500, and then shoots like a rocket! the turbo lag is felt Drastically, which forces one to engage the lower gears via paddle shift, and make this car run!

NOw if the passat is going to be sold around 22lk, there aint much worth paying 28lk for a fully loaded model, i think. Even the 4 lk extra they charging between the current 2 models, is just not worth it. All u get extra is :
1. Automatic Seats (its so BS! giving all manual seats in the 24lk version!!! so this cant be compromised, coz else it would spoil the whole charm of buying a luxury car!)
2. Paddle Shift (can pretty well do without it! not an everyday use!)
3. Xenon lamps, ( can pretty well do without it)
4. Front Parking sensors! (worth rs.4,000 in reality in aftermarket)

God knows what else they will strip out in the base 20lk model! what i think is the following:
1, No Leather seats
2, No Automatic, (automatic base model will be out after some time)
3, Basic Audio System,
4, NO rear window automatic sunscreen
5, NO rear door suncreens
6, No Parking sensors
6, Well, the 24lk model anyway doesnt have much in it, so there isnt much left to strip it further!

What a waste! This is getting so frustrating, that i think now if the new A4 doesnt come up my liking, in means of features and pricing, then i might as well keep the Tucson for another year or so forgetting about buying a new car now, so that would cool my frustration and take my mind off buying a new car! really sad to see indians being taken as S**T when it comes to the choices, or rather lack of choices offered to the Indian consumers, and the way these companies RIP us off our money for things sold half the price other side of the world! argh!

Just for info... VW has finally understood that it cant have its way when it comes to Diesel technology. It has finally dumped its Pump Duse technology, and has started the production of CRDi diesel engines. The 2.lt engine seein the the Passat is the last PD engine created by VW. All future engines will be on CRDi tech only.

One last thing..
From past one week the Laura is with me as my dad's away. Driving it all the time from past one week, and having been looking for a new car for myself in place of my Tucson. Last night i was having a fantastic time driving the Laura as the roads were quiet empty, and that time, i really took time to FEEL the car, its power, It makes me think that rather, i should just go and buy one more Laura, for myself!!! The features are very high, the comfort is great! (compared to A4/320D as only the front seats are good in these! and Passat wherein the front seats are same in dimensions as in the Laura) Now there is not a single complain i have with the Laura. If forced to complain of some lack of feature, i would say the Paddle Shifts and the Electronic Parking Brake! thats the most i can say! as nothing else is lacking in this car, that u need! If only the Laura vRS would launch now,then i would actually go in for that! 170bhp of power! much more powerful than the Passat/320d/A4

Last edited by Insane Devil : 29th June 2008 at 03:13.
Old 13th July 2008, 13:51   #104
BHPian

Hey guys,
Jus going thru some old posts in this forum (testdrives of jetta and passat in 2005 in the US), i was so shocked to see that the current PASSAT and the JETTA sold/to be sold in India are of 2005 model! ugh!

Paying 28lks for the 2005 model Passat! VW gotta be jokin! in that way, While i did know the Toureag is of 2001/2 make! Shame on them to give us such old piece of S***! What does VW think we indians are? idiots?

Well, this is surely to be scrapped any moment now, so there is no way i would place my money on it!

a model launched one year late, is well accepted here, as it would still be quiet futuristic in India, for Indian conditions, and due to the Indian automobile laws about homologations and stuff. But 3-6 years old model being launched as LUXURY! thats heights!
Old 13th July 2008, 13:55   #105
Senior - BHPian

Insane,

Have you checked out the new A4 ?
normally_crazy is offline   Reply With Quote