Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Old 26th April 2011, 01:21   #526
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: The Story of MIKE - My Ikon Flair 2006 EDIT : Now completed 60,000 kms + New Foot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Keep a tab on air pressure and tyre wear. I feel A drives like a pound or two more compared to my old Goodyears for a flat wear.
My A-drives lose pressure much faster than my good ol BS tube-types.

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
(gujri maal) .. fade away within a blink of your eye.
@John, thanks for that. Was expecting some salvaged stuff there but from what you have said, these dont offer much hope.
condor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th April 2011, 01:28   #527
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: The Story of MIKE - My Ikon Flair 2006 EDIT : Now completed 60,000 kms + New Foot

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
... 185's would have been good....
Yes, 185's seem perfect to me, both on the ride and handling front. More grip, obviously.

Quote:
... I feel A drives like a pound or two more compared to my old Goodyears for a flat wear.
Yes, as compared to the Goodyears and Bridgstones. May be because of the soft compound(?)
dhanushs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th April 2011, 09:52   #528
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post
Benny, not sure about the branding, but Ford OEM batteries cost 2,800 and Amaron's I got cost 5,500. Got ~1000 for my old battery, hence total damage ~4,500.

The difference - Ford warranty is 1 year, and Amaron warranty 4 years. Also, Ford OEM is 42Ah, and my Amaron is 45Ah.

With AC, Fogs, my 100/90 ralley bulbs, moderately powered music system, and log durations of parking with park lights warrant 45ah for me.
Well, except for an FM transmitter which i regularly use off the 12V supply, rest everything else is stock with respect to the power drawn. So, i feel i can stick to the stock specs for the battery. Also, the price difference is almost half! Shall check with Mustang again, on the warranty provided. Considering how well the OEM has stood up till now, dont want to ignore it so easily.

Between, why do you park with the parking lights on for long? Parking on the road side?

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Benny, why didnt you upsize ? 185's would have been good.
Quote:
Yes, 185's seem perfect to me, both on the ride and handling front. More grip, obviously.
Good question. In my mind, i had prepared to get the 185s this time. However, when i looked back at my past driving style and also my generally sedate driving pattern, it really didnt make much sense. I checked with Nikhil as well. But yes, it is certainly worth considering.

Quote:
Good you also got A drives. Right kind of rubber for us sedate drivers Keep a tab on air pressure and tyre wear. I feel A drives like a pound or two more compared to my old Goodyears for a flat wear.
I haven't checked the tyre pressures since they were put on. If i see the line to fill air at the bunk is long, i move on. Will have to keep a regular watch on them henceforth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
Knowing what YOU want, I think you should have gone with MRFs/Bridgestones. Why the brand change unless you were looking for better tyres benny ? Are the A drives soft compound ? Even if they are, they are no great performance tyres like the S drives or the Michelin Precidas. Your MRFs did a decent job, i know they always do, you can run them till you see the steel belts.
I agree with your point, John. As much as the MRFs were tough, they were horribly noisy as well. Add to that, the grip they offered could always have been better. With both these tyres being at price points close to each other, wanted to try out the A Drives. Fingers crossed.
Between, the spare tyre is still an MRF !
benbsb29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th April 2011, 11:44   #529
Senior - BHPian

Good choice, Benny !

A drives are pretty rugged, I've tested them @ high speeds, bad roads, potholes and also jumped over speed breakers at high speeds.
They are damn good when it comes to straight line braking.

I've on the second set of A drives @ 80k kms.
kpzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th April 2011, 22:10   #530
Team-BHP Support

Prajesh, thanks a lot for your inputs. Highly reassuring, i must say. How long did they last on your first set?

I guess you run them out faster considering the higher speeds you clock regularly and the braking involved.
Old 26th April 2011, 22:56   #531
Senior - BHPian

Correct me if I am wrong, I am presuming that the Yoko A drives are soft compound, right ? So you have upgraded your tyres as well as your thinking, good on you benny.
esteem_lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th April 2011, 15:24   #532
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
Prajesh, thanks a lot for your inputs. Highly reassuring, i must say. How long did they last on your first set?

I guess you run them out faster considering the higher speeds you clock regularly and the braking involved.
First set lasted for 50k kms.
Current set got 50% tread left at 30k..should last another 20k
trust me, i have tortured them to the limit with torque.

Last edited by kpzen : 27th April 2011 at 15:30.
kpzen is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd June 2011, 12:08   #533
Team-BHP Support

Nearing the 63k mark, the suspension has started creaking when going over speedbreakers. This is pronounced from those at the front. I also need to add that its been ages since the underbody has been washed/hosed down. Accumulated muck, perhaps?

Playing around with the 12V power outlet, and i managed to blow the fuse. Realized that this is linked to the central locking too. It was a pain without central locking, or remote keyless entry. Reminded me of the 80s.

What made it all the more painful was that on a Ford you cannot press the lock on the front doors before you close the door. So, you have to lock all the other doors, then use the key to lock the front door/s.

I managed this way for a few days, then replaced the blown fuse (15A rating), only for the central locking to start working, but not the Autocop remote locking. Currently too lazy to schedule a checkup from the Autocop people.

Vehicle is due for the normal service at Sejal shortly. Checking the suspension is also on the cards.

Last edited by benbsb29 : 3rd June 2011 at 12:09.
Old 3rd June 2011, 14:19   #534
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Nearing the 63k mark,....
.... Accumulated muck, perhaps?...
I believe suspension overhaul is on cards. I had to change my shocks and LHS lower arm at 70k. Do you feel the car wallowing while cornering?. If so you might need to change the shocks.

And one question: Is the creaking from the rear?.

Quote:
What made it all the more painful was that on a Ford you cannot press the lock on the front doors before you close the door. So, you have to lock all the other doors, then use the key to lock the front door/s.
Another strange thing about the central locking is that, In the case when the vehicle is locked and the battery is exhausted and we manually unlock it: When we replace the battery with a charged one, the car immediately locks its doors the moment the battery is plugged in. So, beware of keeping the keys inside the vehicle.
Old 10th August 2011, 19:31   #535
Team-BHP Support

Unhappy Re: The Story of MIKE - My Ikon Flair 2006 EDIT : Now completed 60,000 kms + New Foot

Ever since i bought a Scorpio (Ownership review posted here => Scorpio), the Ikon has hardly been used. It got a well-deserved rest, and was due for the pending service, as it had already been over 10,000 kms since the last service. With the inkling that the Scorpio would be delivered soon, i kept on postponing the Ikon's service, as the car was needed on all days, including weekends.

A couple of days before the Scorpio was delivered, the Ikon started showing its displeasure in its own small ways :

One of the headlamps went kaput - only the low beam.

Then, the A-Drives developed a puncture, thanks to a key which pierced through, while i was on my way to work. I replaced it with the spare tyre, which was the old MRF which came with the car, and carried on.

The next day, the lighting for the speedo console went kaput.

It all felt so symbolic! I could only postpone all these, since i didnt have the time.

After the Scorpio came, the Ikon was taken to my FNG, Sejal Motors for the long due service and pampering. I had asked for some denting and painting work too to be taken care of. As i type this, the car is still with them.

After about 2 weeks with the Scorp, getting into the Ikon felt different. Suddenly, the car which was oh-so-familiar felt so strange! Everything felt so small, the steering, the gear knob, etc. I then realized once again what exactly a short throw gearbox felt like, what the point-n-shoot steering of the Ikon felt like, and how easy it was to throw around.

Currently, we plan on retaining the Ikon with us so wifey can use it for a while. After that, we still need to decide.
Old 10th August 2011, 19:43   #536
Distinguished - BHPian

Glad to know that MIKE got the care it deserved.

btw, Benny, have you done any work on the suspension?. If so, could you please update the cost the FNG charged, here. I'll be doing my 2nd overhaul from an FNG only, with custom shockers, et al.
Old 11th August 2011, 09:04   #537
BHPian

Quote:
Ever since i bought a Scorpio (Ownership review posted here
Hi Ben, congrats on the Scorp! The mHawk Scorp is a real humdinger, I love it (I get to drive my friend's mHawk on all our holidays). Will read up your review soon, didn't know you had got one.

Quote:
A couple of days before the Scorpio was delivered, the Ikon started showing its displeasure in its own small ways :It all felt so symbolic! I could only postpone all these, since i didnt have the time.
I readily believe that! That's exactly what happened with my Ikon too! As soon as I got the Fiesta and gave the Ikon to my son, it started giving trouble. It had never troubled me in 6 years. Battery packed up (after 6 1/2 years), windshield cracked, some engine bay work. Now she's back with me and is as sweet as ever!

Quote:
I then realized once again what exactly a short throw gearbox felt like, what the point-n-shoot steering of the Ikon felt like, and how easy it was to throw around.

Currently, we plan on retaining the Ikon with us so wifey can use it for a while. After that, we still need to decide.
Ha, ha! You'll find it hard to give away. My baby is still with me although common sense says I should sell it.

Enjoy it Ben!
Damu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2011, 08:18   #538
Team-BHP Support

Unhappy Re: The Story of MIKE - My Ikon Flair 2006 EDIT : Now completed 60,000 kms + New Foot

Quote:
btw, Benny, have you done any work on the suspension?. If so, could you please update the cost the FNG charged, here. I'll be doing my 2nd overhaul from an FNG only, with custom shockers, et al.
Dhanush, when the car returned from the last service at my FNG, i was told there was no suspension work required at the moment, so left it at that.

I was unable to update the service details on this thread owing to lac k of time, and also as i am not in India at the moment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damu View Post
Hi Ben, congrats on the Scorp! The mHawk Scorp is a real humdinger, I love it (I get to drive my friend's mHawk on all our holidays). Will read up your review soon, didn't know you had got one.

I readily believe that! That's exactly what happened with my Ikon too! As soon as I got the Fiesta and gave the Ikon to my son, it started giving trouble. It had never troubled me in 6 years. Battery packed up (after 6 1/2 years), windshield cracked, some engine bay work. Now she's back with me and is as sweet as ever!
Thanks for the wishes, Damu.
The Scorp really make light work of the bad roads thrown at it, and also considering how roads flood in Bangalore after an extended shower, it surely is par for the course.

----------------------------------------

To update further on the car, for the first time since the years i have owned it, the Ikon gave up on the road. This was when wifey was driving it back from work. After the car got switched off on Hosur Road (of all places!!), it refused to crank at all. Wifey had to face the fury from all the other motorists as the car was now blocking the road.

She called me up, and i went in the Scorpio, and on reaching there parked it away somewhere and went to check out. By then, people were cussing and swearing at the car and someone almost pushed the car into the side kerb in an attempt to make way to go on. Someone had also planted a twig on the boot, in true lorry style, to indicate this was going nowhere.

I then approached the traffic cops on the opposite side who were watching the mayhem, and they in turn directed the traffic control wardens to help push the car to the side. As they were pushing the car, i slotted it into the second gear, and it started. I ended up doing this, although the manual says this shouldn't be done on MPFI cars.

I then drove home with the Ikon and my family, leaving the Scorpio waiting patiently for me to come back and retrieve it later. As i was leaving for China the very evening, i didn't want to spend time in taking it to Sejal Motors for an inspection. I shall do that once i am back.

I suspect the battery which i had been putting off for some time now, if not possibly the ignition coil. Will update on it later.
Old 26th September 2011, 19:03   #539
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I am getting all four shock absorbers replaced with Monroes, estimated damage under 15k. In a day or two I shall know the exact amount.
honeybee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th September 2011, 20:43   #540
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybee View Post
I am getting all four shock absorbers replaced with Monroes, estimated damage under 15k. In a day or two I shall know the exact amount.
hmm.. 15k doesn't sound friendly for a similar to stock set up.

If possible, can you please post a detailed quote on the work done on your thread?. It would be really helpful.

Thanks,

Dhanush

Last edited by dhanushs : 26th September 2011 at 20:44.