Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Old 27th September 2011, 20:15   #541
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: The Story of MIKE - My Ikon Flair 2006 EDIT : Now completed 60,000 kms + New Foot

I checked out the MRP on one of the shocks today: 2250/- Four shocks should therefore be around 9k. The kit would probably take it up to 10k. The shocks are without springs. The original springs will be mounted on them. So the only things being replaced are the shocks and the kits. The springs or the lower arm assembly or the joints are all fine.

Labour quoted for the suspension work was Rs. 1200/-, so the total would be under 12k.

I am having some problem with my own thread (the last page doesn't open), so I am posting this info here as well.

Last edited by honeybee : 27th September 2011 at 20:27.
honeybee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2011, 00:02   #542
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: The Story of MIKE - My Ikon Flair 2006 EDIT : Now completed 60,000 kms + New Foot

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybee View Post
I checked out the MRP on one of the shocks today: 2250/- Four shocks should therefore be around 9k. The kit would probably take it up to 10k. The shocks are without springs. The original springs will be mounted on them. So the only things being replaced are the shocks and the kits. The springs or the lower arm assembly or the joints are all fine.

Labour quoted for the suspension work was Rs. 1200/-, so the total would be under 12k.
Honeybee, these price quotes are are actually expensive than OE parts. OE shocks cost 1700 each. Also, a complete front shock and spring remove and install cost me just 200 bucks.

Lets just hope he does a good job.

EDIT: Even I cant access your thread. May be you can report it to a mod?
dhanushs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2011, 10:27   #543
Senior - BHPian

Which brand are the OE shocks? I have heard Monroe are a good brand.

Mind you, I may not necessarily have to pay the MRP

I am sure the mech will do a good job, and regarding the price, there really isn't much choice too. Besides the mech handles most of the work on both my cars, so he is likely to pay back in kind. Btw, when did you get the shocks changed?

I am waiting for one of the mods to reply to my post in the Suggestions thread. If that doesn't happen today I shall report the thread to a mod to look into the problem.
Old 17th October 2011, 12:38   #544
Team-BHP Support

Default Battery replaced - Motorkraft

I'd mentioned about how the Ikon gave up when wifey was using it. As i had predicted, it was the battery which was dying, at close to 5 years of owing the car.

I took it to Lathangi Ford (as the Ford OEM battery is cheaper ) and asked them to replace the battery. They first checked the cranking voltage, which was only about 8V and then proceeded to replace the battery. They spent about 20 mins just sourcing the battery from their store!

The battery was replaced and it came to about 2800 bucks, with about 300 bucks as labour plus taxes.

They weren't willing to offer anything for the old battery, so i took it with me and gave it to Sejal Motors who offered me 400 bucks for it in return.

That aside, the car seems to be in good health and is being used by wifey once in a while for her office commutes.
benbsb29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2011, 13:07   #545
Senior - BHPian

Wow, so there's something you get cheaper as OEM than aftermarket, and that too a battery! I need to remember that.