Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Old 18th September 2015, 13:34   #136
Thumbs up 8yrs and 1,51,000 kms later

As I write this update, my Logan DLE has around 152000kms on the meter. Apologies upfront for the longish update, but its been 2 years since the last update.

Overall I love this car and would like to have it for a loooong time. I only hope Mahindra does not pull the plug like Ford has done for the new Fiesta. A price correction if done properly, by Mahindra, they would be able to sell more cars than they can imagine.

Since the last update, the car has seen the following events::

1. Oct 2013 - Minor incident - Airport chennai
2. Upgrade to XM2
3. RD Dieseltronic kit
4. Oct 2014 - Rear ended on the NH while standing in traffic

1. Oct 2013 - Minor Incident - Near Airport, Chennai

This incident happened because of the ongoing metro work at that time and bad traffic management. We were in bumper to bumper traffic and moving at snails pace, when this dumper truck (one with 8 wheels and tyres almost the height of your car) next to me, decided to move forward and the tyre nut just grazed my right front bumper and the tyre. Tyre burst and there was a huge scratch / dent on the panel.

Took this to Mahindra First Choice as they were located in the Guindy Indl. Estate and nearer to my residence. While the initial signs were encouraging, their quality of work was very shoddy. Not expected of a Mahindra group co. to goof up on their product. This experience was similar for others who were there for repair works. I think all of us got carried away by their ads in newspapers and it was a "Mahindra" for me.

I had replaced the headlights at First choice since they started fogging up. Now 2yrs down the line the headlight alignment is awry and when taken to the MPL Service, they gave me a shock saying the headlamp units are not OE and cannot be adjusted any further and will need replacement to get the proper alignment.

Clutch plate was also replaced there and it seems to be holding good, till now.

2. Upgrade to Michelin energy XM 2 ~ 113000KMS

The XM 1+'s had run around 65000kms and I found the grip levels deteriorating. I took it to "Tyre store" on Greams road and upgraded them to XM 2 tyres. As you can see the car has run around 38000kms with the new tyre setup. Grip and confidence levels are good. The tyres are definitely getting noisier, unlike the XM 1+ at this stage. Sufficient tread depth is still available for another 15 to 20K kms. These new set of shoes cost around 20K.

3. RD Dieseltronic Kit

My Logan DLE: 8 years, 1,50,000 km update!-rdkit.jpg
The urge to extract more from the engine is always there, I think for most forum members. I could not resist the offer in snapdeal (10% off on MRP) and would have been the first few buyers of the kit. Combined with an EMI option I thought it was an affordable way to spice up your car. Only later did I come to know that the offer on snapdeal was not with the company's consent. I don't know how myself as a buyer can get this information and I think its the same with other products sold on e-commerce sites.

I took it to my FNG who helped me fit the kit. Initially I couldn't make out whether the kit was working or not. But one ride on the highway convinced me that it was working.

Of the 4 modes available on the remote. I was mostly using the P2 mode. Drivability - both on the city and highway, improved by leaps and bounds. The gruff motor sort of sounded creamy now. There was no turbo lag evident and the mid / top end performances changed. Anyone wanting to know the difference between Peak and Off peak modes need to test it in overtaking conditions. Stamp on the accelerator and see the car surge forward with a smile on your face.

Tested the E mode a few times. The acceleration is very linear without any drama. The car does move forward albeit progress is slow. But this helps in improving mileage. In P2 mode mileage ranges between 17 and 19kmpl, depending on the driving style. In the E mode I got 23kmpl. Patience is a virtue when you are in E mode. You should not have any time deadlines on reaching your destination. I was still reaching 100 ~ 110 kmph, when road permitted. Maybe the mileage would have been better, if I was at 80 or 90 kmph. But after P2 who wants to drive in E - Mode.

P1 was rarely tested and so was S mode. The AC also seems to work better with the kit.

I did have a problem recently with the "Coolant Temperature" indicator lighting up intermittently. The car was behaving normally with no visible indications of overheating. The temperature related bars indicated that the car was normal. This happened during highway runs and after the car crossed 60kmph and was frustrating. I took it to my FNG and he was clueless. I tried switching between P2 and S mode and found that the indicator did not light up in S mode, irrespective of the speed.

Finally shot a mail to RD with my symptoms.They responded promptly and asked me to courier the unit with the remote. However I was going to Bangalore that weekend. They coordinated well with me and picked up the unit from my place at Bangalore. I told them I got it from snapdeal and warranty was still honored. The unit was returned by courier, within a week without any cost to me. Kudos to them for the excellent service.

4. Oct 2014 - Rear ended on the NH while standing in traffic

My Logan DLE: 8 years, 1,50,000 km update!-rear.jpg
We were returning from our family temple near Trichy and were part of a minor traffic congestion before the Tindivanam toll. This congestion was after a slight blind bend on the NH. There was a SWIFT standing behind me. An ICML Rhino turned a bit fast into the bend and saw the congestion ahead. I think the driver panicked and lost control. He rear ended the SWIFT which rear-ended me. My hand was on the steering wheel and I was in neutral.

Just heard a crushing sound and next moment I was in the gap between a lorry in my lane and car in the next lane. Divine intervention had moved my car to the right, else would have rear ended the lorry and got stuck behind the lorry. Myself and my father in the front were wearing seat belts, nothing but shock. Wifey got a whiplash bump at the back of her head, as she was not wearing seat belt in the rear seat. I think the SWIFT was in gear, both occupants were not wearing seat belts. The owner driver had the classic chest and abdomen injuries hitting against the steering wheel, albeit not visible outside. The lady passenger had banged her head against the dash and was in pain. The Swift was not driveable as the front and rear had taken a hit. The radiator was leaking, headlights crushed and the tyre burst when towing to the sides. Had to stay a long time at the police station to get the certificate.

Took it to the FNG for repairs, who did a decent job. But Bajaj allianz and the non availability of spares in open market frustrated us a lot.

However car is back on its feet and we have done many trips after that.

In between the AC Cooling coil was also changed as it was clogged and started leaking oil. The OE cooling coil was of BEHR make and was replaced with a BEHR one of similar type. Car cools better now. INR 7000 damages including labour for replacement.
My Logan DLE: 8 years, 1,50,000 km update!-acccoil.jpg

Thanks for patiently going through my post. Wishing you all happy and safe motoring.
pugram is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote