Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 31st July 2007, 23:01   #1
BHPian
 
pugram's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Chennai
Posts: 271
Thanked: 36 Times
Default My Logan DLE: 8 years, 1,50,000 km update!

Hi all,

Had a great drive the week before. Flew from chennai to Mumbai by Air deccan and then drove from a Tata Indigo from Mumbai to chennai via Bangalore. Hats off to the Golden quadrilateral, the 1356kms that we covered (me & my cousin) were without any hiccups, but for the section at Chitradurga where lots of road works were going on. Car was great and the mileage varied between 18 ~ 20 kmpl.

Coming to the Logan. I took the Logan for a Long drive on the GST Road to our family deity's temple near trichy 1000kms 2 way. Stuck to the advice in the handbook to stick below 2500RPM for the 1st 2000 kms. I averaged between 80 ~ 100 kmph as the roads permitted.

The car feels solid and the ride feels awesome. My parents had lots of room in the car and were very appreciative of ride. Drove with 4 average sized adults seated in the rear (ofcourse cramped) for 350 kms. With Gas filled shocks all around, it was like literally floating on the GQ. The torquey nature of the engine is great and helps a great deal with overtakings on the highway. There is absolutely no engine noise in the cabin, but for the "whoosh" sound of the turbo, which is very addictive. No ICE done yet, so only the noise of the AC blower in the cabin.

Now to the question of Mileage on highway. The car was very frugal and delivered around 22+ kmpl (AC was on for only 20% of the time as the weather was excellent and had an aunt in the car who insisted on keeping the door open for fresh air 70+ could not refuse). Have to check out once again to confirm. 20+ is great mileage for a car of this class IMHO.

Plus:
Good road presence. Quite a head turner wherever it goes. Sleek boxy looks.
Boot space amazes everyone.
Steering feedback is right and the assistance provided is also right IMO.
Very low tyre noise intruded into the cabin thought the carpeting is minimal.
Torque is great from 2nd gear onwards. Just hear to the "whoosh" of the turbo and lift off on reaching the right rpm to change the gear or just drift . Addictive

Minus:
Very small rear view mirror. Definitely needs bigger ones. And a better left rear view mirror

The LHD wiper adapted to RHD is a pain as the smaller wiper splatters some drops of water on the driver side while returning to home position.

My friend pointed out screws jutting out naked in the boot where one could get injured if not careful (I had missed this)

The airvent to the footwell is placed at the bottom of the dashboard with the downward vents facing the floor instead of the footwell (the air flow is not directed at the foot, but at the carpet and that too between the driver and co-passenger, at the bottom of the dashboard).

The lack of a remote boot release.

Plan to put up these lacunae in the feedback section of the mahindra site. High hopes

Till the next update
pugram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st August 2007, 11:57   #2
Distinguished - BHPian
 
phamilyman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 5,601
Thanked: 3,451 Times
Default

Impressive stats. 22 kmpl - whatay mileage!!
What is city mileage? I'm speaking Mumbai bumper to bumper - where driving = letting go of clutch, and depressing it back in another 5m
How bad can it get in that case?
phamilyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st August 2007, 16:09   #3
Team-BHP Support
 
Zappo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 5,648
Thanked: 1,997 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pugram View Post
Had a great drive the week before. Flew from chennai to Mumbai by Air deccan and then drove from a Tata Indigo from Mumbai to chennai via Bangalore. Hats off to the Golden quadrilateral, the 1356kms that we covered (me & my cousin) were without any hiccups, but for the section at Chitradurga where lots of road works were going on. Car was great and the mileage varied between 18 ~ 20 kmpl.
Now what is this again? You actually mean it was a Tata Indigo? Then what is this bit of info doing here in your Logan thread buddy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pugram View Post
had an aunt in the car who insisted on keeping the door open for fresh air
Whatttttttt? Your aunt insisted on keeping the whole door open in a moving car to let in fresh air? And you complied?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pugram View Post
Sleek boxy looks.
Now if there ever was an oxymoron!
Zappo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st August 2007, 16:47   #4
Team-BHP Support
 
mobike008's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 10,728
Thanked: 7,890 Times
Default

Nice review. 20kmpl-22kmpl is very possible in most diesel cars of that size if driven in the conditions explained ( 20% AC, between 80kmph-100kmph) including powerful diesels like Accent CRDi or Fiesta TCDI.

I recall once in my viva crdi made a trip of 420kms up and down and ripping on speeds between 120kmph-140kmph, AC 30% or so on and covered the whole distance to and fro in 6-7 hours and got a healthy mileage of 19kmpl . So if i decide to go for a mileage run, then 22kmpl ain't that difficult

I get 13.5 to 14kmpl in city and reckon Logan may give a km or so more.
mobike008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st August 2007, 22:06   #5
Senior - BHPian
 
esteem_lover's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Madras/Py
Posts: 7,554
Thanked: 445 Times
Default

Good writeup pugram. Glad to know that you are enjoying your new Logan.
esteem_lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st August 2007, 22:11   #6
BHPian
 
pugram's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Chennai
Posts: 271
Thanked: 36 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zappo View Post
Now what is this again? You actually mean it was a Tata Indigo? Then what is this bit of info doing here in your Logan thread buddy?


Whatttttttt? Your aunt insisted on keeping the whole door open in a moving car to let in fresh air? And you complied?
@ Zappo: I did not want to start a new thread for my Pune-mumbai-pune-chennai trip. So just posted it there to share my experience.

Ok ok its not the door that was open. It was the glass rolled down.

The car is designed boxy for obvious reasons. But I think looking at it from a distance did give it a sleek look

@mobike008 : That is what modern diesels are about. This one is built for a budget and I thought the mileage was very good in that context. I have not been able to check the in-city mileage. Will probably update in a weeks time.
pugram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st August 2007, 22:21   #7
BHPian
 
pugram's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Chennai
Posts: 271
Thanked: 36 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
Good writeup pugram. Glad to know that you are enjoying your new Logan.
Thanks E_L : I have lined up another trip for the next weekend (11th & 12th), when i will be able to give more accurate figures.
pugram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st August 2007, 23:07   #8
Team-BHP Support
 
theMAG's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 7,034
Thanked: 1,470 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pugram View Post
The car is designed boxy for obvious reasons. But I think looking at it from a distance did give it a sleek look

Thats what most people say about Claudia Schiffer too.
theMAG is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2007, 00:34   #9
Team-BHP Support
 
Zappo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 5,648
Thanked: 1,997 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMAG View Post
Thats what most people say about Claudia Schiffer too.
OMG... what a comparison! I am kind of still trying to figure out whether you are a Claudia fan or a Logan fan. :-))

However the way it is going Logans are definitely adding up in number on our roads. Till a couple of months back I could not see a single of these here in Hyderabad. Now all of a sudden they do pop up on the road once every while in the melee of cars. Heck, even my office basement parking now has at least 2 of these (that I have seen).

So obviously there is something about these cars thats catching up on people's fancy. A year down the line we will know for sure how it is gonna be like.

For you Pugram it is definitely a fundu choice. I personally believe that irrespective of what people say what works for one is the best for him or her. The rest be damned.

By the way is not it time that you changed that avatar of yours?

Last edited by Zappo : 2nd August 2007 at 00:35.
Zappo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2007, 00:41   #10
Team-BHP Support
 
Zappo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 5,648
Thanked: 1,997 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pugram View Post
@ Zappo: I did not want to start a new thread for my Pune-mumbai-pune-chennai trip. So just posted it there to share my experience.

Ok ok its not the door that was open. It was the glass rolled down.
Hmmm... but you could have put in a separate post in a relevant Indigo thread. It would have added value to that thread as well.

Haa haa haaa... so now we are talking. It was the glass that was rolled down, was it. Don't mind buddy, I get this maddening urge at times to pull legs. I understood what you meant.

And by the way, this thread is going to be a really interesting one. One on which lot of people will keep an eye on. So I hope you will keep us periodically updated on how one of the earliest Logans in our forum is doing. The reason why it needed this separate thread for itself.
Zappo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2007, 09:28   #11
Team-BHP Support
 
benbsb29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Brisbane
Posts: 8,017
Thanked: 3,467 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMAG View Post
Thats what most people say about Claudia Schiffer too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zappo View Post
OMG... what a comparison! I am kind of still trying to figure out whether you are a Claudia fan or a Logan fan. :-))
Knowing Mahesh, i am sure he's more of a Logan fan rather than Claudia's.
USP here for the Logan being the 'Wide-bodied' car.
benbsb29 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2007, 11:10   #12
Senior - BHPian
 
GeekSrik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,279
Thanked: 8 Times
Default

pugram good review. would be nice if you can add in on road prices for benefit of others. nice mileages too. and if i am not wrong mahindra did come up with two more versions of logan wonder what the changes are in those variants...

and do they have abs? i do remember they have one airbag.
GeekSrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2007, 11:24   #13
BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 80
Thanked: 3 Times
Infractions: 0/2 (9)
Default

Nice review and congrats on your beauty!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pugram View Post
had an aunt in the car who insisted on keeping the door open for fresh air 70+ could not refuse).
I guess you meant window glass ..right?.You could have increased your mileage little bit more had you rolled down the glasses.

Last edited by blrboy : 2nd August 2007 at 11:28.
blrboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2007, 13:35   #14
Newbie
 
carguru07's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: mumbai
Posts: 14
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
Impressive stats. 22 kmpl - whatay mileage!!
What is city mileage? I'm speaking Mumbai bumper to bumper - where driving = letting go of clutch, and depressing it back in another 5m
How bad can it get in that case?
hey Logan is a great car, great value for money...i guess the average in the city wit AC wd decrease by 3-4 max like all cars so its not a thing that shd bother much while crusin along n enjoyin its wide space inside...hey greeksrik u can catch the on road price on their official website or at any dealer site...(Mahindra Renault Logan) Welcome to Logan
carguru07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2007, 14:12   #15
Newbie
 
carguru07's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: mumbai
Posts: 14
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pugram View Post
Hi all,

Had a great drive the week before. Flew from chennai to Mumbai by Air deccan and then drove from a Tata Indigo from Mumbai to chennai via Bangalore. Hats off to the Golden quadrilateral, the 1356kms that we covered (me & my cousin) were without any hiccups, but for the section at Chitradurga where lots of road works were going on. Car was great and the mileage varied between 18 ~ 20 kmpl.

Coming to the Logan. I took the Logan for a Long drive on the GST Road to our family deity's temple near trichy 1000kms 2 way. Stuck to the advice in the handbook to stick below 2500RPM for the 1st 2000 kms. I averaged between 80 ~ 100 kmph as the roads permitted.

The car feels solid and the ride feels awesome. My parents had lots of room in the car and were very appreciative of ride. Drove with 4 average sized adults seated in the rear (ofcourse cramped) for 350 kms. With Gas filled shocks all around, it was like literally floating on the GQ. The torquey nature of the engine is great and helps a great deal with overtakings on the highway. There is absolutely no engine noise in the cabin, but for the "whoosh" sound of the turbo, which is very addictive. No ICE done yet, so only the noise of the AC blower in the cabin.

Now to the question of Mileage on highway. The car was very frugal and delivered around 22+ kmpl (AC was on for only 20% of the time as the weather was excellent and had an aunt in the car who insisted on keeping the door open for fresh air 70+ could not refuse). Have to check out once again to confirm. 20+ is great mileage for a car of this class IMHO.

Plus:
Good road presence. Quite a head turner wherever it goes. Sleek boxy looks.
Boot space amazes everyone.
Steering feedback is right and the assistance provided is also right IMO.
Very low tyre noise intruded into the cabin thought the carpeting is minimal.
Torque is great from 2nd gear onwards. Just hear to the "whoosh" of the turbo and lift off on reaching the right rpm to change the gear or just drift . Addictive

Minus:
Very small rear view mirror. Definitely needs bigger ones. And a better left rear view mirror

The LHD wiper adapted to RHD is a pain as the smaller wiper splatters some drops of water on the driver side while returning to home position.

My friend pointed out screws jutting out naked in the boot where one could get injured if not careful (I had missed this)

The airvent to the footwell is placed at the bottom of the dashboard with the downward vents facing the floor instead of the footwell (the air flow is not directed at the foot, but at the carpet and that too between the driver and co-passenger, at the bottom of the dashboard).

The lack of a remote boot release.

Plan to put up these lacunae in the feedback section of the mahindra site. High hopes

Till the next update
it lacks the remote boot release agreed....bt the price at which the car comes...tht is not such big a deal isnt it...well regarding the other shortcomings...yeah surely go on thier site...Mahindra Renault n post it in a feedback section...hope they will look back into it to gv s a better product....cheers
carguru07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Logan DLE 2100+ Ownership and experience mishranishant Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 33 14th April 2010 12:43
Need an approval for an ICE setup for the Logan DLE vikod In-Car Entertainment 7 14th November 2007 12:11
Logan - DLE pugram Sedans 63 1st August 2007 16:16


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 17:53.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks