Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Closed Thread

Old 10th September 2007, 21:06   #211
BHPian

That is a very good mileage. May be if driven within 100-110 kmh, the mileage will still be more.
Old 11th September 2007, 00:08   #212
Senior - BHPian

Today had to drive through really bad patch of roads,and the sx4 was in its element,really love the way the car handles bad roads.

Somehow have a feeling the suspension has become even more better after the first service.
Old 11th September 2007, 20:50   #213
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopinathann View Post
I have completed 1000 km and giving my car for service tomorrow. After that I am going to test it capability & stability in high speeds.
Got the car from service. Oil changed, cost: 800 + tax.
Paint touch up done for very small scratches. I asked them to re-program the Nippon security system but they gave the support numbers.

Have anyone tested whether the car alarms when slightly banged, to activate the motion sensor.
Old 13th September 2007, 14:05   #214
VBV
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahul_intlad View Post
Today had to drive through really bad patch of roads,and the sx4 was in its element,really love the way the car handles bad roads.

Somehow have a feeling the suspension has become even more better after the first service.
Agree with you.
On bad road stretches, it handles it so well, that it made me feel bad to move to good roads :-)

The cross over inheritance is unmistakable. The NHC launch made me relook at my buying decision, but everytime I think about the way this car handles highways and bad roads, I feel justified regardless of the competition...

VBV
Old 13th September 2007, 14:34   #215
Senior - BHPian

Look at this, SX4 sport review.
2008 Suzuki SX4 Sport Car Reviews - The Car Connection
Old 13th September 2007, 18:02   #216
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr.dre View Post
Basically, looking for an above-average general purpose 205/60R16 tyre.
Bridgestone POTENZA GIII 205/60R16 92H is the closest & only one I got to!!!! Could’nt find the the size in Michelin Energy XM1 / MXV series, which otherwise would have, IMHO, been more appropriate for my needs.
[FONT=&quot]Looking forward to your valuable opinion & suggestions.[/FONT]

Changing the tyres is required ? will there be any adbantage with changing tyres like increase in mileage etc.. ?
I read in mouthshut.com that he changed his sx4 tyres to "Good year" which gave him smoother ride.
I am not sure if it really happens. As of now i did not face any problem with my sx4 tyres.
Old 13th September 2007, 20:10   #217
BHPian

Actually, SX4 makes you feel like you bought a bigger car than you actually did. I just look at the car in the parking lot towering over all the fiestas, NHCs and aveos. Forget the older accents and ikons and almost eyeballing Scorpios. I love it. and I can meet qualis and sumo drivers eye to eye(well almost) and look down on corolla drivers (almost again ) and ask (almost ..yet again). so you paid extra for a smaller car eh? look.. i love it man.. every minute of it.
I just got my car waxed and polished by a team(will write the company name later) that visited my home and did the job at my residence itself! Watergun and wax machines and all in full force (My house looked like a workshop for 2 hours).
I was not happy with them. Guess 3M folks at Balaji Agencies do a better job.
THe first time i filled her at the pump, she took in 48 Litres of speed. I thought whoa, is she hungry to go?
Waiting for my magic 2500k to let her loose. I realise Khivraj Motors gave me floor Mats of some other car. THey dont seem to fit square and proper.
Old 14th September 2007, 01:06   #218
BHPian

Default My Longest Long drive in SX4. Touched 140 KMPL !!!

I have driven the Sx4 in a longest ever trip of my life ( with my own cars ) covering 1300 KM in 4 days. Now, the odometer is ticking at 4400 Km.

I started from Hyderabad on thursday 6th sep, drove to Tirupati and then Nellore, Vijayawada and again back to Hyderabad on Sunday. This was my longest drive ever had in my wheel life. This trip not only gave me fun and pleasure but also proved the real caliber of SX4. I drove it with most of the time with four members sitting inside cabin and the bootspace was fully occupied with luggage. AC was alway ON!!!. I have maintained an average of 90 KMPL and 120 sometimes. I have touched 140 kmpl on the way to nellore - vijayawada ( National highway 4 with 4 lanes. It's a part of golden quadrilateral ).
Believe it or not , absolutely there was no vibration, no shaking, no blah blah blah and whatever you generally find in other cars at high speed.
My Sx4 just flown like a rocket on roads. I could feel the power while overtaking lorries, buses, Innovas , scorpios and what not.

The ghat road that leads to Tirumala from Tirupati has a length of 20 k.m. and typically takes at least 30 to 45 mins to reach the top of the Tirumala hill ( The abode of Lord Venkateswara ).
Guys, believe it or not I reached the hill top in just 20 mins I could feel the abundant power of sx4 while climbing the hill. The torque is amazing. I could overtake the vehicles in a row with A/C on and 5 people inside and total boot occupied with luggage. The road to reach the hill top is a single lane so you do not see vehicles coming in opposite lane. May be all sedans are capable of this , but this my first drive in a sedan , so can't say about other cars. However, there was not even a single drawback I could tell you on sx4 from my long trip.
Over all miles I got ( excluding ghat road drive ) 13.25 . ( I am getting 10 in city ) , this is little let down for me.

I think the following points are worth noting.

1. It is easy to reach a top speed of 120 without any extra acceleration. If you are in 5th gear and just keep your foot on accelerator without pressing it further, you could find your car cruising above 120+ after a minute or so.
Sometimes I didn't even notice that the car is racing at 130+. The smoothness of the car easily deceived me.
When I used to cross 90 in my old zen , my wife used to shout with fear. But no more in Sx4. Good for heart patients )

2. Sx4 is capable of overtaking in any gear. I could over take in 4th and 5th gear most of the times, except in the ghat road section where I got to come down to 3rd or 2nd.

3. The engine noise is negligible even at high speeds. whatever the sound the engine makes at 80s , you do hear the same even at 140s. As I always write in my reviews I say it again, it is like a racing car sound rather than noise.

4. The sx4 engine very responsive but I felt that it is little strained when you press the accelerator completely touching to it's bottom al of sudden. For example when I was at 60 and in 5th gear , I pressed it to its bottom, then the engine "grunted" and I could feel the sudden increase in more fuel burning. I think it is always better to increase the speed gradually.

5. Physical strain is very little. I could drive nearly 200 KM without a break and I could see a difference in Sx4 compared to my previous car : zen lxi.
I kept one litre Thumbs up bottles inside all four doors. I drunk wheneven I felt thirsty instead of water. Basically I do not like beverages, but it is an exception on highways . Sometimes I used to get some backpain while driving my old zen. no more with sx4 now. There were absolutely no body pains. And none of my family members reported anything as such. Again, might be the same with any other sedan.
However I can confidently say that sx4 driver seat is extremely comfortable for long drives.

6. Boot space. I could fit two big suitcases, two medium size + one large airbags , and two briefcases without stressing any internal body parts. The amazing 505 liters space is more than enough for a complete family travel.

7. Very strong chassis and great service by Maruti. Due to heavy rains there was road submerged in water somewhere on the way to Tirupati. To reduce some distance, I took a shorter path which was a blunder. To make the road visible out of water some villagers topped it up with big stones. I got to cross the road full of rocks with length of 1 to 2 ft. I passed through but unfortunately my sx4 bottom was rubbed thoroughly by the stones. The stones were huge enough that high ground clearance of Sx4 could not help itself :(. After crossing the bad road, the car started giving some kind of "dab dab" sound from the bottom. I thought that something was screwed and chassis was gone!!! Believe me I never drove a car through such a bad road. I cursed myself choosing a shorter path through sleepy villages.
The sound was heavy only in first and second gear . It was OK again after 3 rd gear. Then I though something got screwed up in the gear box. I stopped my car and tried see beneath and couldn't find any visible damage. I was scared whether I could make it to Tirupati. but I managed to maintain the car above 3rd gear, meanwhile my cousin immediately tried contact nearest service station from the sx4 ooklet. Fortunately we could contact service station in Tirupati located just beside the highway. After reaching the service station, they took my vehicle and parked it on the vehicle elevator and moved it up. They could find the cause of the sound. The very great silencer pipe which runs from the engine to the back got stuck up inside the body due to stonage road which is supposed to hang few inches little lower from main body chassis It is making the sound by hitting chassis when it vibrates as hot air passes through the pipe. The service guys took the silencer pipe out of the body with some simple instruments. I felt lot of relief since there was no major damage. They didn't charge me anything.

Folks , I have been driving maruti cars since 5 years but first time I truly realized the real service by Maruti . The service engineers allowed me inside their workshop and I could see my car from the bottom fully in an IMAX view ).

Hats off to great service by Maruti. If something would have happened to a Honda car , I think they would have charged at least a 10k bucks without letting us know what exactly happened.

8. Last but not the least, my 40 GB ipod did a good job playing almost 6000 songs. The 6x9 inch JBL oval tray speakers just rocked in the highways.

Bottom line is Sx4 is made for a long drive and Maruti means great service.

The only disappointing thing is I could only get 13.25+mileage on highways. I filled my tank using auto cut-off option and alway filled extra unleaded petrol in shell outlets.

Sathya is getting 12 in city itself.. Folks , is there anything that I need to do to improve mileage ? Now I am reaching to the second service.. many guys complained about replacement of clutch. Do you think there is problem in clutch ? For me it is soft but not sure....
Old 14th September 2007, 01:44   #219
BHPian

dilsoft, i am sure you ment 140 KMPH and Not 140KMPL...
and yes
if u keep cruising above 120+ all the time on highway then you will only get as much as 13.25+KMPL.

I own a santro and i get close to 22kmpl on highway with 80 to 90 KMPH speed.
This is the figure that no one believe. Yes its 22kmpl on a santro on highways with 4 ppl in.

Last edited by kick.throttle : 14th September 2007 at 01:56.
Old 14th September 2007, 02:53   #220
BHPian

yup dilsoft, for more mileage you shuld be cruising at 80-90. My Esteem returned with 20+ kmpl while drving from Chennai to Bangalore. However, it was never over 3000 rpm.

13.25 is what you can expect if you drive at high speeds through out.
Old 14th September 2007, 11:22   #221
Senior - BHPian

@dilsoft, nice to know, you are enjoying your car! I am yet to take my bad boy on a highway trip.. but after reading your experience, it tempts me now to go for one soon!!
Old 14th September 2007, 14:41   #222
BHPian

Yesterday I took the car for a highway drive and the experience was awesome. I was steadily cruising about 120, suddenly when I saw the speedo it was above 140, I couldn't feel that I am driving at this speed because it was very smooth. Didn't want to go beyond 140 as it was night, but sure to test it ability in another morning trip. While returning back I could felt ABS working 3-4 times during sudden braking which gave me confidence.
In one sentence "EXCELLENT PIECE OF MACHINE"
Old 14th September 2007, 16:37   #223
VBV
BHPian

Some body on this thread was looking at changing tyre sizes... Well, please take a look at the tyre bible and the tyre size calculator at:
Car Bibles : The Wheel and Tyre Bible Page 1 of 2

I think the BS Potenza GIII that fits in is available in India. Or atleast as per this website:
Bridgestone India Private Limited

When i'd enquired it costed around 25K and I dropped the idea. Also GIIIs are a little bit more noisier, but that's okay. A word of caution from me, please get the tyres changed at a good place and get good wheel alignment and balancing done.
Old 14th September 2007, 22:08   #224
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neoranjit View Post
yup dilsoft, for more mileage you shuld be cruising at 80-90. My Esteem returned with 20+ kmpl while drving from Chennai to Bangalore. However, it was never over 3000 rpm.

13.25 is what you can expect if you drive at high speeds through out.
20+ kmpl on esteem.. . i never heard more than 16+kmpl.

what do u feed your car???
Old 15th September 2007, 13:55   #225
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kick.throttle View Post
dilsoft, i am sure you ment 140 KMPH and Not 140KMPL...
and yes
if u keep cruising above 120+ all the time on highway then you will only get as much as 13.25+KMPL.

I own a santro and i get close to 22kmpl on highway with 80 to 90 KMPH speed.
This is the figure that no one believe. Yes its 22kmpl on a santro on highways with 4 ppl in.
You are right it's KMPH, sorry for type.
Closed Thread