Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews


Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 23rd September 2007, 16:28   #286
Team-BHP Support
 
Akshay1234's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 9,759
Thanked: 6,669 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopinathann View Post
But many of them advise to go to the higher gear as quick as possible. Also, if I go in 2nd till 35 it will not be smooth. Because of the low end torque I am able to go slow in higher gear which is difficult in other cars.

However I will try to increase kmph per gear and see the mileage again. Thanks for your advise.
but you shouldnt start in 2nd. the sx4 isnt a bus. and by starting in second and changing to early youll put excess strain on the engine and that will use up more fuel.
Akshay1234 is online now  
Old 23rd September 2007, 18:41   #287
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 104
Thanked: 13 Times
Default

not only that - you are creating more chances for quick clutch wear by starting and running ahead in 2nd. Gearshifts should be governed by speed that you attain - and unnessarily being in higer/lower gears does help FE or the engine/clutch at all...my 2 cents...

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
but you shouldnt start in 2nd. the sx4 isnt a bus. and by starting in second and changing to early youll put excess strain on the engine and that will use up more fuel.
nssrini is offline  
Old 24th September 2007, 09:26   #288
BHPian
 
sathya_nars's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 642
Thanked: 52 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nssrini View Post
not only that - you are creating more chances for quick clutch wear by starting and running ahead in 2nd. Gearshifts should be governed by speed that you attain - and unnessarily being in higer/lower gears does help FE or the engine/clutch at all...my 2 cents...
I think you meant "doesn't help".
sathya_nars is offline  
Old 24th September 2007, 10:09   #289
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 104
Thanked: 13 Times
Default

Oops ! that was a typo. Thanks for pointing out Satya. Being in higher/lower gear than what is right - Does not - help the engine & Clutch wear & tear. During my first service & test ride thereof, the service manager told me - that even in speed breakers, it is better to shift to 1st gear & then accelerate further to higher gears/speed - considering the car of higher capacity & size...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sathya_nars View Post
I think you meant "doesn't help".
nssrini is offline  
Old 24th September 2007, 10:37   #290
BHPian
 
Venkatesh.C's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Chennai
Posts: 261
Thanked: 30 Times
Default

Starting in 2nd gear will require higher engine effort to overcome the inertia as the torque delivered to the wheel is not as high as it is in the first gear.
This will mean that you would have to rev a bit higher to get her started. This would only mean more clutch wear like @nsrini pointed out.
The very reason gears are there is to multiply the torque delivered to the wheels (for better details there is a good performance related article in OD -Auguest edition check it out). so, 1st gear with a ratio of 1:3 (where 1 is the flywheel) will result in a 3 fold increase in torque delivered to the wheel. 2nd , lesser and 3rd much lesser etc., So, you should always use the 1st and shift to 2nd before the engine hits 2000 rpm. You would have got sufficient movement by then. That ways you keep your rpm's in check (read as less fuel burnt) and vehicle in motion and enough for the 2nd to become efficient. So, you should get better mileage.
Essentially i'm just paraphrasing what others have said. Just wanted to add little bit more details.

Last edited by Venkatesh.C : 24th September 2007 at 10:39. Reason: torque multiplication simple formula added
Venkatesh.C is offline  
Old 24th September 2007, 10:49   #291
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Pune
Posts: 268
Thanked: 10 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopinathann View Post
Completing the 1st service, I again checked the mileage using tank-tank fill method. I got an impressive 12.7 (110.1 km / 8.7 lt) in city with 100% AC (24 - 27) .
Yes. When I initially said that I got 12.5+ to 12.9 kmpl in city with 100%AC, very few beleived it. You can reach upto 13. but it needs patience to accomplish that. I don't have that all the times. So happy at 12.5.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopinathann View Post
How I drive: Always start the car from 0 kmph in 2nd gear and rarely on 1st gear. Immediately shift to 3rd gear, even crossing the speed breaker in 3rd without downshifting to 2nd (Need to cross 13 speed breakers in 3 km range). I generally do not maintain at 40, when I get a chance I will cruise gradually and not sudden pickup. I go at 90-120 in expressway (2 km range). If I drive at steady speed I think I will get a mileage of 13. Even I didn't get this mileage in my Santro, so very happy with beast.
0-10 kmph - 2nd (1st only in slope or instance pickup)
10-20 kmph - 3rd
20-30 kmph - 4th
>30 kmph - 5th
I think you are straining the engine a little bit. Don't you feel vibration while doing this high gear & low speed driving?
Your speeds are OK, I feel you just lower the gear by one in each range.
0-10 kmph - 1st (1st in slope or always for instance pickup)
10-20 kmph - 2nd
20-30 kmph - 3rd
30-40 kmph - 4th
>40 kmph - 5th (but only for constant speed, so sparingly used in city)
omishra is online now  
Old 24th September 2007, 11:11   #292
BHPian
 
sathya_nars's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 642
Thanked: 52 Times
Default

BTW, do any of you feel clutch vibration beyond speed 60? I feel it and planning to complain to dealers during 2nd service.
sathya_nars is offline  
Old 24th September 2007, 12:40   #293
Newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 2
Thanked: 0 Times
Angry My experience with SX4

I got my sedan after big big really big waiting period of more than three months, that too opting for silver color in place of red color which i had booked for. I am surprised, is it because of dealer or Maruti factory, really I dont know.
I was too thrilled when i first drove it. But with in few kms I realised that wrist of my hands are paining badly. Is it because of hard EPS ? Sterring feeling is too heavy. My earlier car, Zen, EPS was just fantastic. I was able to control with just one finger. Here the feeling is as though sterring has jammed.
Second and biggest disappointement came while driving on roads with potholes every where. Those from Mumbai should know it. THIS IS WHAT I NEVER EXPECTED FROM 8L SEDAN. My wife is suffering from back pain and i thought if i change car which has been driven for almost 90000 Km will get us relief from this bumpy ride. But now I am feeling very sorry for myself. Why it is a night mare to drive SX4 on roads with potholes. My colleagues are driving Honda and Esteem and never felt that way.
Did any other owner experienced the same on such roads ? Can any one throw some light on this matter. I have been told that there may be imbalance in air pressure in tyres, can it be true ? Should I contact the dealer (about 50 km from my place) or any other maruti service centre. Do you think its a SUSPENSION problem or other minor problem which could be rectified.
All other + points have taken over my problem of stiff EPS and bumpy ride. I will write to you guys about other features once this problems get solved or reduces after first service.
I hope you guys are enjoying your "MEN ARE BACK"
By the way one stupid question, I am not able to locate radio antenna in my car, is is antenna less or something which i am not aware of.
Best regards
Kamlesh
RANBHAN is offline  
Old 24th September 2007, 13:10   #294
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 261
Thanked: 50 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopinathann View Post
0-10 kmph - 2nd (1st only in slope or instance pickup)
Please use the 1st gear whenever it is required, i.e, when you start the car for sure, crossing the hump at slow speed, whenever you have to stop (complete stop) and go, etc.

If you are not doing it, you are abusing the car!

I have heard people saying, "first gear is only for the learners and not for the experienced drivers"! I have blasted these poeple to refrain from spreading such "expert" advice and rethink over their thoughts.
Selective is offline  
Old 24th September 2007, 13:34   #295
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Pune
Posts: 268
Thanked: 10 Times
Default Nothing like that

Quote:
Originally Posted by sathya_nars View Post
BTW, do any of you feel clutch vibration beyond speed 60? I feel it and planning to complain to dealers during 2nd service.
Satya, whenever I go in 60, I am using 5th gear and its very very silent drive from point overall body vibration. No vibration in any pedal or gear shift handle too.
omishra is online now  
Old 24th September 2007, 15:41   #296
BHPian
 
gopinathann's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Chennai
Posts: 765
Thanked: 20 Times
Default

Thanks guys for your advise. Today I started using from 1st gear and didn't use the 5th one till 40, but I am not sure whether I will get a mileage like before, will check again.

Today I got an extended warranty from Khivraj Dealer. I didn't opt for this, but I don't know why they have sent me. Is this free ? Have anyone got this ?
gopinathann is offline  
Old 24th September 2007, 15:51   #297
BHPian
 
balaji_n29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Chennai
Posts: 135
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RANBHAN View Post
I got my sedan after big big really big waiting period of more than three months, that too opting for silver color in place of red color which i had booked for. I am surprised, is it because of dealer or Maruti factory, really I dont know.
I was too thrilled when i first drove it. But with in few kms I realised that wrist of my hands are paining badly. Is it because of hard EPS ? Sterring feeling is too heavy. My earlier car, Zen, EPS was just fantastic. I was able to control with just one finger. Here the feeling is as though sterring has jammed.
Second and biggest disappointement came while driving on roads with potholes every where. Those from Mumbai should know it. THIS IS WHAT I NEVER EXPECTED FROM 8L SEDAN. My wife is suffering from back pain and i thought if i change car which has been driven for almost 90000 Km will get us relief from this bumpy ride. But now I am feeling very sorry for myself. Why it is a night mare to drive SX4 on roads with potholes. My colleagues are driving Honda and Esteem and never felt that way.
Did any other owner experienced the same on such roads ? Can any one throw some light on this matter. I have been told that there may be imbalance in air pressure in tyres, can it be true ? Should I contact the dealer (about 50 km from my place) or any other maruti service centre. Do you think its a SUSPENSION problem or other minor problem which could be rectified.
All other + points have taken over my problem of stiff EPS and bumpy ride. I will write to you guys about other features once this problems get solved or reduces after first service.
I hope you guys are enjoying your "MEN ARE BACK"
By the way one stupid question, I am not able to locate radio antenna in my car, is is antenna less or something which i am not aware of.
Best regards
Kamlesh
Hi Kamlesh,
Sorry to hear you are not happy. Please see if there is any warning lights glowing in the odo. I suggest you to read the owner's manual once. This might tell why your EPS is stiff. You surely have to get it checked with your dealer. None of us face this issue. The EPS is silky smooth under 50 KMPH speed. It becomes stiffer at speeds above 50. But that doesn't mean its as stiff as you said.

Coming to the ride, did you check your tyre pressure as soon as you took the delivery. Normally, dealers don't do that. The recommended tyre pressure is 33 PSI. I keep at 34 PSI. Some people keep at 35. The SX4 handles bad roads really well. If this doesn't solve the issue I think you have got a lemon. Please take your car to the dealer. There is no question of fixing this issues as your car is brand new. Replacing the concerned parts is the way to go. Good luck!

The radio antenna is printed and you won't be able to locate it .
balaji_n29 is offline  
Old 24th September 2007, 15:59   #298
Team-BHP Support
 
Akshay1234's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 9,759
Thanked: 6,669 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopinathann View Post
Thanks guys for your advise. Today I started using from 1st gear and didn't use the 5th one till 40, but I am not sure whether I will get a mileage like before, will check again.

Today I got an extended warranty from Khivraj Dealer. I didn't opt for this, but I don't know why they have sent me. Is this free ? Have anyone got this ?
whether you get the mileage or not at least you wont wear out the clutch prematuely an put excess strain on the engine.
Akshay1234 is online now  
Old 24th September 2007, 16:09   #299
BHPian
 
sathya_nars's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 642
Thanked: 52 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RANBHAN View Post
I was too thrilled when i first drove it. But with in few kms I realised that wrist of my hands are paining badly. Is it because of hard EPS ? Sterring feeling is too heavy. My earlier car, Zen, EPS was just fantastic. I was able to control with just one finger. Here the feeling is as though sterring has jammed.
Second and biggest disappointement came while driving on roads with potholes every where. Those from Mumbai should know it. THIS IS WHAT I NEVER EXPECTED FROM 8L SEDAN. My wife is suffering from back pain and i thought if i change car which has been driven for almost 90000 Km will get us relief from this bumpy ride. But now I am feeling very sorry for myself. Why it is a night mare to drive SX4 on roads with potholes. By the way one stupid question, I am not able to locate radio antenna in my car, is is antenna less or something which i am not aware of.
Best regards
Kamlesh
Very sad to hear these.
1. EPS seemd hard for me too initially, but it is not a problem nowadays - may be this was my first car and I didn't know it correctly. Please complain it to your dealer.
2. I drive on bad roads, but didn't feel any backpain and my family too didn't. You can check your seating position, but if rear passengers also get it, I think you should check with your dealer. BTW what psi do you fill for tyres?
3. Rear antenna is embedded in rear window.

Quote:
Originally Posted by omishra View Post
Satya, whenever I go in 60, I am using 5th gear and its very very silent drive from point overall body vibration. No vibration in any pedal or gear shift handle too.
Clutch vibration happens slightly, not big. This too is felt when you put your feet on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selective View Post
I have heard people saying, "first gear is only for the learners and not for the experienced drivers"! I have blasted these poeple to refrain from spreading such "expert" advice and rethink over their thoughts.
I too heard it and didn't argue with them since they believe in what they think, I don't waste my time in arguing with those !!
sathya_nars is offline  
Old 24th September 2007, 16:11   #300
BHPian
 
sathya_nars's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 642
Thanked: 52 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopinathann View Post
Today I got an extended warranty from Khivraj Dealer. I didn't opt for this, but I don't know why they have sent me. Is this free ? Have anyone got this ?
I had paid to get extended warrenty, didn't you?
sathya_nars is offline  
Closed Thread


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Bajaj Pulsar 200 NS : Ownership Review, 2200 Kms preetam_KORG Motorbikes 173 2nd December 2017 19:06
Maruti-Suzuki SX4 Zxi: Running Report amit Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 507 14th August 2014 00:43
Maruti SX4 ZXi - EDIT: Updated for 9000 Kms sathya_nars Long-Term Ownership Reviews 112 4th May 2009 20:10


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 11:48.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks