Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Closed Thread

Old 24th September 2007, 16:12   #301
VBV
BHPian

Well, mileage is not the only concern with lower/higher gears.

If the car is lugged(driven on a higher gear at rpms not supported, leading to a vibration in the car), its more likely to develop problems than not. Clutch, rattling parts, gear box are a few of the issues that would need sooner replacements if driven too much at low rpms.

It would not be a bad idea to do a cost benefit analysis of mileage v/s cost of replacement of clutch etc., But till then its not right to conclude that driving at lower rpms is better.

VBV
Old 24th September 2007, 16:34   #302
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RANBHAN View Post
By the way one stupid question, I am not able to locate radio antenna in my car, is is antenna less or something which i am not aware of.
Antenna is pasted on the rear glass - upper 2-3 copper lines sepated from heater. Below lines are heater wires.

BTW please get your car checked at dealer. I have undergone double spinal cord surgery and still could not hold by balance while walking. I can not lift my laptop bag on one shoulder for more than 10 minutes. Still I am able to drive and enjoy SX4. It is silky smooth and no problem for back. I made 200+210 in total 7.5 hrs without any issue.
Old 24th September 2007, 16:49   #303
BHPian

Hey Kamlesh,
1. suspension: It is on the stiffer side. Do not expect carpet ride like the Corsas/Aveos/Vernas. Here is a tip though. When you ride smaller pot holes ride them at say 15-25 kmph the ride will be slightly better
2. Steering; Technically there is supposed to be slight stiffness and yes WagonR etc used to have buttery smooth EPS but that is not good either. You should not experience more stiffness than what is there when you Twist a bike's accelerator. Try switching off the engine and turn your steering. if you dont experience any difference in steering effort between when the engine was running and when the engine has been turned off call the dealer coz your EPS is not working then.

Finally, you seem a bit disappointed by the way your car has turned out. I only wonder whether you test drove the car enough before you put your money down.

Last edited by Venkatesh.C : 24th September 2007 at 16:52.
Old 24th September 2007, 17:34   #304
BHPian

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopinathann View Post
Yes Venkatesh, it is just a cost cutting, but I don't know how much they will save doing that. Looks weird when taking reverse as if one of them is not working. Them same is being followed in Logan and some other cars also.

well i was about to ask on this thread abt this, abt the tail lights on SX4. Ohh, so its only 1 reverse light and thats why one is red and the one on the left is white. that really looks sice..

and what cost cutting are u talking about ?? what diffrence will it make in the cost by just adding only one light.. man the car costs 5L+. adding 1 more light for the reverse is just no big deal. insted they should giv few more lights for free
Old 24th September 2007, 17:40   #305
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sathya_nars View Post
I had paid to get extended warrenty, didn't you?
I have paid the Ex-showroom charges + Registration + Tax + Accessories cost. Apart from that they didn't charge me extra.

However today I received the extended warranty book from them.I have to wait and see whether they ask me Rs. 3990.
Old 24th September 2007, 17:46   #306
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kick.throttle View Post
well i was about to ask on this thread abt this, abt the tail lights on SX4. Ohh, so its only 1 reverse light and thats why one is red and the one on the left is white. that really looks sice..

and what cost cutting are u talking about ?? what diffrence will it make in the cost by just adding only one light.. man the car costs 5L+. adding 1 more light for the reverse is just no big deal. insted they should giv few more lights for free
I am not sure how much they save, but this was the answer I got.
The additional brake light placed in the rear windshield should have kept as fog light or they should have placed additional lights below the bumper like the zen.
Old 25th September 2007, 10:25   #307
Team-BHP Support

the brake light in the windshield cannot be a foglight since it is a rule that there must be a 3rd high mount stop lamp.
Old 25th September 2007, 10:42   #308
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks guys for your advise. Today I started using from 1st gear and didn't use the 5th one till 40, but I am not sure whether I will get a mileage like before, will check again.

Today I got an extended warranty from Khivraj Dealer. I didn't opt for this, but I don't know why they have sent me. Is this free ? Have anyone got this ?
I dont think usage of 1st gear translates to less FE. Using the 1st gear when required and changing the gear to 2nd at appropriate RPM is what required. So dont worry about FE, I am sure you will not see any difference.
Old 25th September 2007, 11:04   #309
BHPian

The rear light funda is definitely not 'cost cutting' as far as SX4 is concerned. It is supposedly the new European Funda to have such a 'design'. Also there is no cost cutting as there 'IS' a bulb in the place where there should have been a reverse lamp (the drivers side). This glows when you turn the 'invisible' ring around the headlight switch behind the steering. Also, you can turn this ring only when you have switched your headlights ON. They also turn get turned off automatically when you turn your headlights 'OFF'.
So, i guess this is 'By Design'. than for anything else.
Old 25th September 2007, 11:23   #310
BHPian

I have created a new thread for SX4 mods for Racing Stripe vinyl. Give your comments on that .

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...hics-mods.html (SX4 Vinyl Graphics/ Mods)
Old 25th September 2007, 11:36   #311
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venkatesh.C View Post
The rear light funda is definitely not 'cost cutting' as far as SX4 is concerned. It is supposedly the new European Funda to have such a 'design'. Also there is no cost cutting as there 'IS' a bulb in the place where there should have been a reverse lamp (the drivers side). This glows when you turn the 'invisible' ring around the headlight switch behind the steering. Also, you can turn this ring only when you have switched your headlights ON. They also turn get turned off automatically when you turn your headlights 'OFF'.
So, i guess this is 'By Design'. than for anything else.
Yes, they should have made it automatic when reverse is engaged instead of turning it on. What is the purpose of rear fog light.
Old 25th September 2007, 13:18   #312
VBV
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RANBHAN View Post
I got my sedan after big big really big waiting period of more than three months, that too opting for silver color in place of red color which i had booked for. I am surprised, is it because of dealer or Maruti factory, really I dont know.
I was too thrilled when i first drove it. But with in few kms I realised that wrist of my hands are paining badly. Is it because of hard EPS ? Sterring feeling is too heavy. My earlier car, Zen, EPS was just fantastic. I was able to control with just one finger. Here the feeling is as though sterring has jammed.
Second and biggest disappointement came while driving on roads with potholes every where. Those from Mumbai should know it. THIS IS WHAT I NEVER EXPECTED FROM 8L SEDAN. My wife is suffering from back pain and i thought if i change car which has been driven for almost 90000 Km will get us relief from this bumpy ride. But now I am feeling very sorry for myself. Why it is a night mare to drive SX4 on roads with potholes. My colleagues are driving Honda and Esteem and never felt that way.
Did any other owner experienced the same on such roads ? Can any one throw some light on this matter. I have been told that there may be imbalance in air pressure in tyres, can it be true ? Should I contact the dealer (about 50 km from my place) or any other maruti service centre. Do you think its a SUSPENSION problem or other minor problem which could be rectified.
All other + points have taken over my problem of stiff EPS and bumpy ride. I will write to you guys about other features once this problems get solved or reduces after first service.
I hope you guys are enjoying your "MEN ARE BACK"
By the way one stupid question, I am not able to locate radio antenna in my car, is is antenna less or something which i am not aware of.
Best regards
Kamlesh
@RANBHAN:

Stiff EPS: Do you check your seat position for ergonomics? If you place yourself in a position that is least stressful to move the steering wheel, the effort required to move the wheel around is less. I have felt that the EPS is stiff if I place the wheel too high compared to my seat. I believe the right position is to have your fists at the level of your chest. If its above your shoulder, its not good. Also both your fists should be at mid wheel and you should be seeing the instrument panel clearly. There are many sites which are having information on the right ergonomic driving position. I would suggest that you check them out for an optimal position?

Bad Suspension: Hmmm, if you go through this thread, a lot of people including me have pointed that SX4 is great in handling bad roads. So I think its a problem particular to your car and you should get it fixed. I've been in an esteem many times and I feel SX4 handles bad roads much better than esteem wrt passenger comfort. Please get it checked up and fixed before the first service itself as it is your right as a consumer to get good quality ride.

VBV
Old 25th September 2007, 13:54   #313
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Yes, they should have made it automatic when reverse is engaged instead of turning it on. What is the purpose of rear fog light.
same as a fron fog light. to warn people behind you in a fog.
Old 25th September 2007, 15:40   #314
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
same as a fron fog light. to warn people behind you in a fog.
So, it is a waste in chennai climate. Is it possible to do modifications so that both of them glow during reverse ?
Old 25th September 2007, 16:15   #315
BHPian

@RANBHAN:

Stiff EPS: I feel it could be a matter of expectation...SX4 EPS is commensurate with car of its size & with the large rubber beneath. Surely you cannot compare this with a car like Santro/Zen - smaller cars, lower wheel base & tyres - that gives you the feel that the steering is super light. However, as folks mentioned you could have this checked anyhow.

Bad Suspension: Again, due to the bigger length/width/height - there could be some body roll effect when you move over potholes or humps - and reducing speed & going over it smoothly - will see you with no problems.
Closed Thread