Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Closed Thread

Old 27th September 2007, 10:36   #331
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kannanmr View Post
Today my sx4 got its first major scratch :cry:

The right ORVM is now scratched, because of a stupid BMTC bus coming in the opposite side. Luckily the ORVM bent in, so it didnt break!! but, the bus has taken with it a big chunk of RED color from the ORVM

My car has run close to 850kms, just nearing its first service. I'd like to know what I can do abt this scratch. Should I ask for a complete right ORVM replacement or a paint job is possible?

If paint-jobbed, will it show or in other words, how effective it is????

PS: I tell you guys, it really is painful to see the car getting scratches/dents....v painful! I can fully relate to the person who was cribbing about selling his sx4 because of the rear-light breakage (in one of the other threads, I guess, named "Bye Bye Sx4")
Scratches are painful. Get used to it though. Coz it is virtually impossible to avoid getting scratched. You will find that there are psychos who get their orgasms by scratching cars with keys or other lunatics who dont think twice before opening their car doors bang and hitting your car door in the middle leaving a scratch there and the list is endless.
So, dont get upset or spoil your day over scratches.
When i was driving my new santro (which is now 3 yrs old) by a parking lot, a bunch of guys just openend a mini van door when my car was passing and was at a point when the rear passenger door was besides the van.
The van door caught jammed inbetween the driver and passenger door and just ripped the door out of the socket.
I was very upset because the van guys started abusing me for not looking before i passed hte van (when the door was in fact opened after i was besides the van).
there are more such crazy things that happen. I have learned the hard way that there is no escape frm these things in India.
I often find scratches and dents in my cars that were not caused during driving. You have no control on this. It is virtually impossible to protect your car all the times.
So prepare yourself mentally buddy
I spent 10s and thousands the first few times scratches and dents appeared to restore my car to its pristine condition.
How long will you carry on doing it? I stopped after a year. I realise that it is futile.
:(
Nowadays i try and drive defensively and let buses and other lunatics through instead of slipping through close gaps. I go through many heart in the mouth situations with my new SX4 but the other day some courier wala just opened my house gate fast and banged it on the door and bam .. a new scratch. cant help it pal. part of life. SO much for my careful driving

As for painting your ORVMs, it should be possible. But i dont know if the paintshops in Maruti service stations will have the equipment to do it as painting on Plastic may require baking it too! (experts pls comment. am just speculating here)

Last edited by Venkatesh.C : 27th September 2007 at 10:40.
Old 27th September 2007, 10:39   #332
BHPian

Default keep cool, its car only

Quote:

PS: I tell you guys, it really is painful to see the car getting scratches/dents....v painful! I can fully relate to the person who was cribbing about selling his sx4 because of the rear-light breakage (in one of the other threads, I guess, named "Bye Bye Sx4")
Don't worry man!
In parking while reversing the SX4 I got bumper left side touch passed pillar (wrong judgment came from previous Santro and Indica drivings). I could see only after getting off the vehicle. It was area - size of mirror only. It costed me Rs. 500 (200 labor + Rs. 350 paint+clear coat) and full 2 days to get back vehicle. Now myself can not figure out whether it was there?

This was done at dealers workshop - Sai Service, Bombay-Pune road, Pune.

Do find same thing in Bangalore.

Don't worry. Keep patience while driving. I never go near bus, Taxi, lady driven vehicle and auto. If they come near (or I sense like that) then, for a moment I honk like mad, with flashing headlight & turning light simultaneously. So last 3 months SX4 is scratch less after first parking incidence. At signal, I try to cover up space near the car (front and one side at least) so no 2 wheeler can squeeze in.
Old 27th September 2007, 10:42   #333
BHPian

Default Rear Defogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
the rear defogger wont get water droplets off. its only supposed to take the mist or whatever formed. i dont keep mine on for too long.
People, this is right. rear defogger is only for clearing mist that cloud the rear windscreen and you cant see a thing through the rear windscreen.

Water drops need wipers not deFOGGER
Old 27th September 2007, 11:07   #334
BHPian

Don't worry kannan, in this forum you'll find many people have scratches and dents than you :-).

When I left mine in parking area, someone smashed rear bumper while I was away, you can't help these.

My right ORVM was hit multiple times till now and paint is gone, I am keeping it like that, what to do?
Old 27th September 2007, 11:24   #335
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venkatesh.C View Post
People, this is right. rear defogger is only for clearing mist that cloud the rear windscreen and you cant see a thing through the rear windscreen.

Water drops need wipers not deFOGGER
Today I sprayed some water on the rear windscreen while taking the car out. I pushed the defogger button and in 4-5 min, the water droplets dried off.
Old 27th September 2007, 11:27   #336
BHPian

Kannan,
Painting the ORVM mirror will be around 1k, The outer cover is just a plastic and replacing the outer cover will be cheaper than painting.

If you don't want to spend more money, just add some graphics in both the ORVM so that the scratches disappear.

Quote:
Today my sx4 got its first major scratch :cry:

The right ORVM is now scratched, because of a stupid BMTC bus coming in the opposite side. Luckily the ORVM bent in, so it didnt break!! but, the bus has taken with it a big chunk of RED color from the ORVM

My car has run close to 850kms, just nearing its first service. I'd like to know what I can do abt this scratch. Should I ask for a complete right ORVM replacement or a paint job is possible?

Old 27th September 2007, 12:15   #337
BHPian

It will dry since heat will dry off water. But its not going to help you in rains. The solution is lasting only on Mist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopinathann View Post
Today I sprayed some water on the rear windscreen while taking the car out. I pushed the defogger button and in 4-5 min, the water droplets dried off.
Old 27th September 2007, 14:31   #338

Default Don worry baby

Kannan , my baby , don worry...I know it hurts , but there wasnt much yu cud do about it...Agreed yu r a very careful driver..but this wasnt ur fault!
My boy, my dear boy!! Plz. 4get it...With SX4 , I m sure v have some very good days to see, my simba! Smile now..

Mod's Note: Please do read the board rules once again. Usage of SMS lingo or any unnatural abbreviations in your posts is not allowed.
Old 27th September 2007, 15:25   #339

very well written summary .. explains nearly everything

congrats on a lovely car
Old 27th September 2007, 17:13   #340
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopinathann View Post
thats going to happen when the glass gets hot but i wouldnt keep it on for too long if i were you.
Old 27th September 2007, 17:55   #341
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
thats going to happen when the glass gets hot but i wouldnt keep it on for too long if i were you.
Why, does it not get cut off after 10 to 15 mins? This feature is there in Ford Fiesta.
Old 27th September 2007, 18:39   #342
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
Why, does it not get cut off after 10 to 15 mins? This feature is there in Ford Fiesta.
Nops, but sometimes to clear off mist, auto cut off will make it uneasy.
Old 27th September 2007, 18:44   #343
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sathya_nars View Post
Nops, but sometimes to clear off mist, auto cut off will make it uneasy.
the mist would clear off in 5 mins or so.
Old 27th September 2007, 20:12   #344
BHPian

Quote:
I have noticed that there are two types of cutoffs
timed cutoffs and thermal cutoffs
Timed cutoffs are a pain as they cutoff regardless of surrounding conditions

Thermal cutoffs cutoff only when the windshield goes dry and the temperature of the heating element goes beyond a point. Which makes sense:0

No cutoff is bad as well as the battery will go for a toss
Old 27th September 2007, 20:16   #345
BHPian

Quote:
What happens when you are driving a 2 hour journey in Rain. So everytime we need to turn on the defogger to clear the mist after cut off.

All depends on the situation. I would appreciate if both auto & manual option are available in defogger.
Closed Thread