Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Closed Thread

Old 29th September 2007, 12:50   #361
BHPian

did anyone change the JK tyres to michellin or bridgestone?
Old 29th September 2007, 13:07   #362
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinodbijlani View Post
did anyone change the JK tyres to michellin or bridgestone?
Exactly what I want to know. Aren't the J.K. Tyres very noisy? I noticed this in both the SX4 demo's I test drove.
Old 29th September 2007, 21:04   #363
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopinathann View Post
I will be doing that this week, will post the pics once it is done.
Venkatesh,
Posted the pics in SX4 Mods link
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...cs-mods-3.html (SX4 Vinyl Graphics/ Mods)
Old 30th September 2007, 00:49   #364
BHPian

hi to amit and vinod bijlani. took delivery of mty sx 4 this tuesday. thought of changing to michelin or bridgestone , but the price for michelin mxv8 is rs.8300 and for bridgestone giii is rs. 7100 in mumbai from reputed dealers. so thinking of using stock jk vectras for sometime. the money offered in exchange is also not worth. thanx.
Old 30th September 2007, 07:45   #365
BHPian

rs 7.1k for bridgestone g3 . agreed the money offered for jk is not worth. seems like no one is buying 205/60/R16 jk tyres.
Old 30th September 2007, 09:28   #366
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by man_1 View Post
hi to amit and vinod bijlani. took delivery of mty sx 4 this tuesday. thought of changing to michelin or bridgestone , but the price for michelin mxv8 is rs.8300 and for bridgestone giii is rs. 7100 in mumbai from reputed dealers. so thinking of using stock jk vectras for sometime. the money offered in exchange is also not worth. thanx.
itll be more of a loss later on. why dont you just change your tyres now.
Old 30th September 2007, 22:14   #367
VBV
BHPian

A friend of mine changed his tyres to BS GIII, that costed him 25K totally. He had some problems initially, because somebody had screwed up his alignment. But he's now set that right and it handles real good. The road grip is much better. But there is a little bit more noise.... (As has been observed with GIIIs)

Also, I think its too soon to say if 25K was worth it, because GIIIs are supposed to be more long lasting than most tyres. I believe if you change your tyres to GIIIs, the real benefit will be when the stock tyres wears out in 2nd year and GIIIs will probably come handy for a lot more time than that.

VBV
Old 30th September 2007, 23:18   #368
BHPian

vbv,
i hope 25k was not after exchange of jk?
anyone tried the michelin?
thx
Old 1st October 2007, 11:58   #369
VBV
BHPian

Yup 25K was after exchange. He changed all 5. This was about 4 months back. I believe GIIIs > R15 have a huge price tag. It was prohibitive enough for me to say no to something I'd wanted.

also, you might want to check out this link: Car Bibles : The Wheel and Tyre Bible Page 1 of 2
It has enough and more on tyre size conversion. It even has an automated tyre converter.

VBV
Old 3rd October 2007, 14:46   #370
BHPian

Did you guys notice this thing with auto climate?

I used to keep internal temp to be 24-26 deg. Sometimes when external temp is below this, by default it will go to 'fresh-air' mode. Since I don't like external air coming in, I force it to 're-circulation' mode. So, at this time, I felt that AC is cooling very slowly (takes 20 mins or more) or not feeling the AC at all.

Last edited by sathya_nars : 3rd October 2007 at 14:47.
Old 3rd October 2007, 15:57   #371
VBV
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sathya_nars View Post
Did you guys notice this thing with auto climate?

I used to keep internal temp to be 24-26 deg. Sometimes when external temp is below this, by default it will go to 'fresh-air' mode. Since I don't like external air coming in, I force it to 're-circulation' mode. So, at this time, I felt that AC is cooling very slowly (takes 20 mins or more) or not feeling the AC at all.
It is slow, but not 20 mins. It took me about 5 to 10 mins with four people inside, based on how hot it was. It might be an issue.

As an aside: People in Bangalore are always forced to go onto re-circ mode, because of the pollution. Its a sad state of affair, is'nt it?

VBV
Old 4th October 2007, 11:40   #372
BHPian

Satya,
Why don't you decrease the temperature in the climate control? That should resolve the issue. I have always used re-circ mode. So I don't know if its slower than normal.
Old 4th October 2007, 13:07   #373
Senior - BHPian

Guys, today I was cleaning the engine bay and its compartment.. and to my surpise, I saw and felt the black plastic wall (or synthetic platics) that separate the engine compartment and the car cabin.. the wall is thin as well as the have doubt on its quality too.. that probably explain why the engine noise is very prominent inside the cabin.. I am pretty sure that reinforcing this wall barrier with better plastics (or perhaps carbon fibre sheets) will considerably decrease the proliferation of the engine's noise into the car cabin. what say?

Last edited by iTNerd : 4th October 2007 at 13:09.
Old 4th October 2007, 13:35   #374
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iTNerd View Post
Guys, today I was cleaning the engine bay and its compartment.. and to my surpise, I saw and felt the black plastic wall (or synthetic platics) that separate the engine compartment and the car cabin.. the wall is thin as well as the have doubt on its quality too.. that probably explain why the engine noise is very prominent inside the cabin.. I am pretty sure that reinforcing this wall barrier with better plastics (or perhaps carbon fibre sheets) will considerably decrease the proliferation of the engine's noise into the car cabin. what say?
Have u fixed your tires? THey make the maximum noise in the SX4. The other day i was on the east coast road and doing sixty. There was nary a noise from the engine which was doing little over 1500rpm. The tyre and road noise was really killing me. It was a steady groan from the tires(Bridgestone Turanzas 15") that is really irritating
Engine noise comes at higher RPMs which is enjoyable actually.
If you do U.C rubber coating and build some cladding on those Anti-Aero dynamic ORVMs your high speed noise should come down

Last edited by Venkatesh.C : 4th October 2007 at 13:36.
Old 4th October 2007, 14:37   #375
BHPian

The engine noise comes more from the rear than the front, why is that.

Venkatesh, last week I went to ECR at 140, but it was smooth and and the engine noise was not too high.
Closed Thread