Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Closed Thread

Old 20th August 2007, 16:24   #121
BHPian

Fantastic review Sathya. Very very informative. You'll make a good auto journalist?
Old 20th August 2007, 16:30   #122
BHPian

We (SX4 owners) are wondering if there is any defect wrt EPS :-(.

I am yet to visit Nandi hills, but had visited a town in TN that is 250 kms from here.
Old 20th August 2007, 16:43   #123
Senior - BHPian

No sathya nothing is wrong with the EPS ,it works like a charm for city driving completely hides the size of the car for the driver.I keep forgetting I am driving a big car.

Whatever speeds you are if you turn the steering ,the car will have to turn,so I don't think that is the appropriate way to check EPS.I can't actually put it in properly in words but once the car picks up speed the steering feels a lot more heavier,you need to experience this.This heaviness is not so significant that suddenly you feel like you are driving a non-PS car.

Regarding EPS,when you start the car the eps lights come on,and then if it stays on means you have a problem in the EPS,otherwise don't bother too much about the EPS thing.
Old 20th August 2007, 17:26   #124
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sathya_nars View Post
We (SX4 owners) are wondering if there is any defect wrt EPS :-(.
Is there any reason why you started wondering about it? Or is it that you got paranoid about it?? When i brought my car, I used to do this freq. Over a bad patch of road, i will switch of the audio, and try to listen for some rattle to see if any of the 'build quality' has given away. Just me being plain paranoid...

I would say every thing is fine with you car. Dont loose sleep over this EPS...

Quote:
I am yet to visit Nandi hills, but had visited a town in TN that is 250 kms from here.
Ahh... that should be fine. Just checking if you done any highway ride.
Old 20th August 2007, 17:34   #125
BHPian

Default Maruti Suzuki SX4 ZXI (without leather), 51 days, 2250km

High friends,

This is first time I am looking back at my last 51 days, I am driving my SX4 with all four corners safe in the bumper to bumper traffic as well as constant 110kmph on highway.

I am not comparing my car with any other car.

I was using HH splendor for last 5 years and had my first hands on Mahindra Commander sometime 15 years back. After that I never drove any 4 wheeler. This is my first car and I always avoided buying a car after looking at bikers menace in Pune city. But my second spinal cord surgery forced me to buy a car.

Maruti Suzuki SX4 ZXI (without leather), 51 days, 2250km

Decision: So car has to be easy to drive as my legs does not have enough force to press hard and minimal sense for vibrations. I zeroed in Honda city vtec/CVT. But dealer's attitude made me away from that wonderful car. That lady handed me keys of Customer's Service car for test drive. Then nearest look was SX4, a new launch that time. Only thing I was waiting for mileage figure from my Bangalorian friend and once that confirmed for 11.3 kmpl for him, I booked SX4 on May 14th 2007.

My first hands: It took 48 days to realize this dream. In SX4 driving seat I was so excited that I forgot to remove parking breaks. And realized this when engine stalled for 2 times there itself. After looking at traffic on JM road, Pune, I could not dare to take my new SX4 beyond 1st signal in traffic, parked along road side and asked for driver to get home safely.

My first feeling about car: No noise and vibration inside the car, even I can not figure out engine is on or off. Only instrument panel was help.

Accessory: I got floor mat(Rs.1200), leather steering cover (Rs.380) and normal seat covers (Rs.2700) fitted along with reverse parking sensor (Rs.3400). teflon coating (Rs.4500) was done. I opted for Garware Sun film (Rs.1200) as I may remove it sometime later. 2 years Extended warranty for Rs.12990. No reverse parking horn.

Inside car:
  1. Gears - This was very hard initially. I mean very good exercise for left arm but after 300km it turned smooth. Now it is butter smooth. Though I have problem of reverse gear not locking but it is getting in place and after 2200 km I am not facing that issue now. Also I can pull the car in 4th gear from 20kmph with 1500rpm.
  2. Steering - This is very good - stable, balanced and responsive. Once I was driving with 40km speed and one 3 wheel tempo with same speed, was heading towards me. As we were about to cross each other, I saw rear door of that tempo opened and coming on my face. I turned towards left ASAP and luckily road was empty. All this happened within 1 second. Oopps.. saved. On highway at speed of 110km it was stable and maintained straight line without any force. In parking taking on spot full turns, it required minimum power to do so. Rake - pinion adjustment is nice to have.
  3. AC - Very very good, no other words for this.
  4. Clutch - My car has no clutch issue still this comes under the range of chassis numbers 101030-107936. So dealer called for replacement of same. For safe side I am going to get it replaced.
  5. Break (ABS EBD)- This is the thing which was required must for me. While descending from Ghat on one turn suddenly the car leading me stopped because there was an accident took place seconds ahead. One bike fellow was overtaking new HC and crashed in HC's fender. HC was so new that it was not bearing registration number. Everybody ahead me climbed over break pedal. It took me 1 sec to realize and another half second to stop from 60kmph to zero.
  6. Headlight - I dont have issue with this as position 1 for highway driving is sufficient. So far never used any fog lamp too.
  7. Noise - Upto speed of 60-70 I can hear neither engine noise nor road noise. But Road noise (read tyre noise) sips in after that. I tested up to 110kmph only. I felt noise is coming from door sealing. This is only improvement required.
  8. Rattle - Absolutely no rattle after this 2200km run. Out of this 900km were on highway with spirited driving.
  9. ICE - Speakers are very bad and I am planning to replace. Remaining HU and internal AMP is OK (average). I can tell more after replacing speakers. Audio control on steering is great.
  10. Overall comfort - This is not for 5 people, only 2 person in rear seat. As a driver, I drove 4 hrs continuously in single stretch and covered 410 km distance in 7.5 hrs. Considering my two spinal cord surgeries (recently last in Feb 07 at Manipal Hosp, Bangalore) no back pain or so. Rear passenger my brother (6 feet ht) was also comfortable.
  11. Space - All we know this (huge boot and good leg room).
  12. Performance - engine is powerful. 1500rpm, 30-40kmph, 3rd -4th gear in city driving as well as some ghat sections during my long trip was awsome. 2000rpm - 4th gear 60kmph, 5th gear 80kmph and 2500rpm, 5th gear upto 110kmph was achieved.
  13. FE - I am not concerned for this. My expectation was 11.5 in city, all time AC on, I am getting -
    city - 12.5 to 12.9 kmpl, 33 psi air pressure
    highway - 16 kmpl, 35 psi air pressure
    fuel - normal petrol
  14. GC and wheelbase - Good GC saved me once I was trapped in mud. In night time, there was arrow sign where I wanted to take U turn on highway. I was new in that area and after turning I found tar road ended in thick mud. I took out the car with 1st gear and 3000rpm only. This is too without scratching anything including bottom.
  15. Security and iCATS - This was one of the points where one can look at. This is must after you pay from your hard earned money.
After 2200 km- Though I religiously followed the initial run in preriod, now I can figure out some engine noise but still same time I can hear more engine noise from car behind me. Always worried for left OVRM, it may be knocked down by auto or bike guys. Already buffalo once turned it reverse. This happened when I was allowing all of them to pass and waiting quietly without honking. Someone ditched them and one buffalo dashed my left mirror and fendor. Again saved without any scratch or dent.

Yes, people look at me when I drive this monster on road. On highway when I was cruising at 110km, nobody could cross me until I let them go.

Cheers!
Old 20th August 2007, 17:37   #126
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahul_intlad View Post
I can't actually put it in properly in words but once the car picks up speed the steering feels a lot more heavier,you need to experience this.This heaviness is not so significant that suddenly you feel like you are driving a non-PS car.
This explains better. Someone was telling me that since EPS is cut off you would notice significant difference in handling steering wheel. Now your explanation seems to correct this perception.
Old 20th August 2007, 17:39   #127
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkrishn View Post
Is there any reason why you started wondering about it? Or is it that you got paranoid about it??
Actually, people started commenting about my reviews on EPS. Thats when this discussion started.

Alright, lemme put full stop to EPS thingy !!
Old 20th August 2007, 18:12   #128

Default Single reversei indicator/rear fog lamps ?

I think most of the SX4 owners would have noticed the single reverse indicator / rear fog lamp.

Does any one know the real reason/purpose of having single ones instead of dual ?

-Elan
Old 20th August 2007, 19:36   #129
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by omishra View Post
That was a nice review. Enjoy the car

Last edited by msdivy : 20th August 2007 at 19:38.
Old 20th August 2007, 20:20   #130
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elan View Post
I think most of the SX4 owners would have noticed the single reverse indicator / rear fog lamp.

Does any one know the real reason/purpose of having single ones instead of dual ?

-Elan
This was already discussed in one of the other threads. <http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ing-light.html (Why do some cars have a single reversing light???)>. Pls use search option. Anyway the answer to this question is cost cutting.

Last edited by balaji_n29 : 20th August 2007 at 20:21.
Old 20th August 2007, 21:29   #131
BHPian

Very good review omishra!
Old 21st August 2007, 00:02   #132
BHPian

Reading reviews on SX4 it seems SX4 is a great car with VFM characterstics
Old 21st August 2007, 16:01   #133
VBV
BHPian

Hi all,

I went on a 600 km drive to ooty and back, last weekend. I could go through 36 hair pin bends and a stretch of about 180 kms of straight roads at an avg speed of about 80 kmph. There is no problem of stability for me. I had to break suddenly twice and I was still able to gain control. I think it is because of the excess body weight, that the car is really stable.

The best part of the trip was that for the resort I'd been to, I had to move the last 300 mtrs on a real off road stretch. Usually a scorpio has some scrapes on the bottom in that stretch. And the SX4 had none. :-)

The drive was fun, with elephants and deers in the Masinagudi forest being a few fortunate wild animals to witness a SX4. :-) While coming back, a bus driver let me pass with a hand signal on the ooty ghat section, and when I was about to overtake I saw an oncoming vehicle. I had to move quickly to escape the possible collision. That driver was an idiot and he also made one out of me.

I've done about 2000 kms of out of city driving now and the only thing I can say about SX4s ability in such roads is "ITS GREAT". Please take your SX4s out of the city, you're not doing justice to it.

There was a drama in my trip as well. On the day of return, I lost the car keys on a trek. And it was very tense. We went around searching for it and after a lot of drama and searching, one of the cow herds who had picked it, gave it to the resort people. I called up my dealer and he did not suggest anything other than getting the duplicate key. He says its possible to remove the wiring, but its too dangerous. I was thinking of coming back to Bangalore and then going to the place with the duplicate key. Just when I was about to finalise on that, we got the key. Let me know your thoughts on what else could have been done.

@Sathya:
Sathya, I really don't know how I am getting 11.5 kmpl in city :-) The usual stuff like less clutch usage, higher gears etc.,

Last edited by VBV : 21st August 2007 at 16:04. Reason: Avoid multiple posts
Old 22nd August 2007, 15:09   #134
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VBV View Post
Hi all,
There was a drama in my trip as well. On the day of return, I lost the car keys on a trek. And it was very tense. We went around searching for it and after a lot of drama and searching, one of the cow herds who had picked it, gave it to the resort people. I called up my dealer and he did not suggest anything other than getting the duplicate key. He says its possible to remove the wiring, but its too dangerous. I was thinking of coming back to Bangalore and then going to the place with the duplicate key. Just when I was about to finalise on that, we got the key. Let me know your thoughts on what else could have been done.

@Sathya:
Sathya, I really don't know how I am getting 11.5 kmpl in city :-) The usual stuff like less clutch usage, higher gears etc.,
You lucky people like Satya and VBV , how you are able to get good mileage like 11+ in city guys. My sx4 doesn't move a bit more than 10.

Always keep two sets of keys with you. I generally keep two sets of Car+house key. One will be with me and another one will be always with my wife. I heard that SX4 has 4 microprocessors in it. Altering any wiring may cause permanent damage to the whole electronics of the car. Do not service your sx4 with roadside guys at any point of time.

Did you call maruti helpline when you lost the key ? I think they might help in such cases.
Old 22nd August 2007, 17:06   #135
VBV
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilsoft View Post
Did you call maruti helpline when you lost the key ? I think they might help in such cases.
I actually called the authorised service person who I know pretty well. And he suggested that I better take the duplicate key and get it opened. He did not suggest the mechanics, because he felt with iCATS, it might be better to get the duplicate key.
Closed Thread