Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Old 10th August 2007, 11:03   #31
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
As far as I know, 5th is an overdrive, the car would reach its top speed in 4th gear. Also I am yet to come across a car in India which redlines in 5th gear.. its just not possible.
In anycase, speedo error or not, 170 kph even on speedo aint possible.
Theoretically both of this is possible.

What if he were driving on a road which had a downward slope. Then it would be possble to increase the speed to 170 in 5th gear and the RPM to 6500. But, it would lead to engine damage due to over-revving. Damage would occur to the engine - camshaft and valves, tappets etc, which are not designed for such RPMs.
risga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2007, 11:11   #32
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neel12345 View Post
The new indica XETA has a 1.2l engine. This is very good and it seems that you are driving a car with a 1.5 l engine. I have reached the speed of 170 Km/H with it. The milleage is well enough as it gives 14kms/l with AC on all the time in heavily congested areas of Kolkata.The previous 1.4 l XETA used to give me only ten
The only reason why that might happen is something a Fortune Cars powai advisor told me:
It now has a Palio engine (same as the old 1.2). And while I don't knowof the FE, I know of some friends who did 170 speedo on the mum-pune expressway at night in their Palio. That would make sense if neel had a similar run with winds on his side and a good road. Just something I heard of, and sharing. So, don't jump on me
phamilyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2007, 12:38   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Okey! I will post the pics tomorrow.I cannot find time but i have to proove it to all the team bhpians.
becareful boss it is not worth it. we are just discussing here.
you dont have to prove it to any one..drive safe no need to take such kind of risk.

take care
God bless

Manu
msharma_79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2007, 19:29   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by risga View Post
Theoretically both of this is possible.

What if he were driving on a road which had a downward slope. Then it would be possble to increase the speed to 170 in 5th gear and the RPM to 6500. But, it would lead to engine damage due to over-revving. Damage would occur to the engine - camshaft and valves, tappets etc, which are not designed for such RPMs.
The rev limiter which kicks in at 5250 would prevent the over revving. And it should work effectively even on slopes we come across in every day driving in kolkata.

@phamilyman: The Xeta does not come with the old palio engine. Whoever told you this is talking crap.

My experience with the 1.2 xeta says that it struggles to do anything more than 140kmph on petrol.
Deeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2007, 20:33   #35
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
The only reason why that might happen is something a Fortune Cars powai advisor told me:
It now has a Palio engine (same as the old 1.2).

You should look for another advisor!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deeps View Post
The rev limiter which kicks in at 5250 would prevent the over revving. And it should work effectively even on slopes we come across in every day driving in kolkata.
If it revs to 6500 rpm, there is something wrong with the limiter! And it is a serious fault which could screw up the engine.
But then again, it will rev to redline at idle (when revved) also. And, revving to redline in 5th gear is something un-heard of in small cars (due to lack of power).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deeps View Post
My experience with the 1.2 xeta says that it struggles to do anything more than 140kmph on petrol.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2007, 22:44   #36
BHPian

After reading the suggestion of the team-bhpians that my car may have a speedo+tacho meter error, I took it to Lexus Motors for Checkup.

First I said that my redline is at 6500 RPM while others have the redline of 5300 RPM. They didn ot beleive me at first but when I showed them they were totally confused and harrased. They called an engineer and he said that it is a printing mistake of the redline, the red mark should start from 5300. They quickly replaced.

I told them that this was unfare and was an irresponsible work. They apologised me. I asked them to test the car with me. As we went, the speedometer indicated a speed of 103, but we didn't feel that much of speed, and moreover all the cars, even old taxis were swipping past us.He inspected the car and suggested that the total intrumental pannel along with the sensors as well as limiters should be changed. They wanted to keep the car but I rudely asked them to do it right then. They took 9 hours, making the other car owners impatient and gave me back my car. Now I feel the speed is correct and really the print is different. I also feel the diff between the XETA 1.4 and 1.2. Much Much Much diff in power. 1.2 sux. What a life with the car!
neel12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2007, 23:22   #37
BHPian

What a change in opinion when the truth was revealed!
Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2007, 23:45   #38
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
After reading the suggestion of the team-bhpians that my car may have a speedo+tacho meter error, I took it to Lexus Motors for Checkup.

First I said that my redline is at 6500 RPM while others have the redline of 5300 RPM. They didn ot beleive me at first but when I showed them they were totally confused and harrased. They called an engineer and he said that it is a printing mistake of the redline, the red mark should start from 5300. They quickly replaced.

I told them that this was unfare and was an irresponsible work. They apologised me. I asked them to test the car with me. As we went, the speedometer indicated a speed of 103, but we didn't feel that much of speed, and moreover all the cars, even old taxis were swipping past us.He inspected the car and suggested that the total intrumental pannel along with the sensors as well as limiters should be changed. They wanted to keep the car but I rudely asked them to do it right then. They took 9 hours, making the other car owners impatient and gave me back my car. Now I feel the speed is correct and really the print is different. I also feel the diff between the XETA 1.4 and 1.2. Much Much Much diff in power. 1.2 sux. What a life with the car!
Oh!

Sorry for what happened. Did they change it under warranty?

Hope you took pics of the faulty meters. Will come in handy if you have to complaint at some point of time.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 10th August 2007 at 23:47.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2007, 10:19   #39
BHPian

They changed it under warranty. In the previous intrumental pannel it was written "*pricol*". Now It is written "TATA". What had really happened is that i think that they had confused and installed the 1.4 pannels, sensors etc and thus it resulted in a malfunction. I am saying this as in my other 1.4 XETA, there is written " *pricol* ". The indicators are a bit diff and does XETA has ABS? I donot think so but there is a bulb. which never lights up on which is written ABS with the pic of a "foot on brake", in the intrumental pannel. But i feel the brakes donot have ABS.

Quote:
What a change in opinion when the truth was revealed!
Do you think I have made up a story?If you donot beleive me, I will upload the pics of the job sheet,service manual and a "replaced withn warranty" paper.
Old 14th August 2007, 09:23   #40
BHPian

in india we dont get indica with ABS but the indica selling in europe has got all that which you need in the car. may be the specific part in your car came from the export unit of Tata. just check out TATA's international product line and you will be surprised. the petrol car in europe goes by the name INDICA MPFI...and it is fully loaded.
Old 14th August 2007, 10:04   #41
BHPian

Ya its fully loaded! But did it really come from Europe?
Old 14th August 2007, 11:00   #42
BHPian

Who Knows Anything Can Happen With Tata
Old 14th August 2007, 11:43   #43
Team-BHP Support

ABS on an Indica? Not right, buddy.
benbsb29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th August 2007, 14:01   #44
BHPian

bro just visit tata motor website and you will see,even i did not believe my eyes. see for yourself.

here is the link to the page with specs.
Tata Motors - Specification

take care,

Manu

Last edited by Zappo : 14th August 2007 at 15:57. Reason: Do not break a single post into parts unnecessarily.
Old 14th August 2007, 14:48   #45
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
ABS on an Indica? Not right, buddy.
Why not benny,ABS and airbags are compulsory in europe on new cars.

I think even daytime running lights were to be made compulsory in europe,dont know about its status.

Last edited by rahul_intlad : 14th August 2007 at 14:50.
rahul_intlad is offline   Reply With Quote