Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Old 30th March 2009, 19:41   #76
Senior - BHPian

Hi,

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderernomad View Post
The vehicle is under Extended warranty and the warranty document specifically says "belts and chains". The dealer though says that the alternator belt is not covered and the word belt refers to only the timing belt. I have asked him to give it to me in writing.
They are right. The belt and cahin is related to the timing gear as below.

The following is an excerpt from the extended warranty booklet.
Engine:

Cylinder head, head gasket, oil pump and drive, crankshaft, flywheel and ring gear, timing gears, belts and chains, camshaft, cam follower, valves
(excluding burnt and pitted valves), valve gear, pistons, connecting rod, gudgeonpin, distributor drive, inlet and exhaust manifolds, bore\liner, turbo,
intercooler units where factory fitted.

Alternator and other belts are usually wear and tear parts and are not covered.
trrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2009, 11:09   #77
Senior - BHPian

But they do not specifically exclude them do they? Why cant I create a royal stink over this issue simply because they specifically exclude the things that are not covered. Plus it might just generate some fun over the summer, pissing them off with repeated emails and phone calls? lol.
And please someone report this post for Mods to edit the mileage in the title to 20,000 Km.
wanderernomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2009, 11:37   #78
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
wanderernomad : But they do not specifically exclude them do they? Why cant I create a royal stink over this issue simply because they specifically exclude the things that are not covered.
Simple : because
Quote:
" they specifically exclude the things that are not covered. ".
In other words, what is not covered is excluded. And what is covered is inlcluded !

Quote:
wanderernomad : And please someone report this post for Mods to edit the mileage in the title to 20,000 Km.
As before, report any of your own posts in this thread & give a msg to the mods to edit the title. That's how I had got the title of this thread changed for you, to read 15000 instead of the earlier 10000.

Last edited by condor : 31st March 2009 at 11:38.
condor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2009, 12:20   #79
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yes the cost is for the Diesel Fuel Filter. It is for about 2500 INR.
Diesel filter for INR 2500? It is 900-1100 bucks for DDIS, Multijet etc. Isn't this one made by UFI as well? That's a huge difference. I hope all DiCOR-specific parts are not so expensive.

It seems Tata has lost all interest in selling DiCOR engines ever since the Quadrajets came in. OT: a 1.9 Multijet Safari would be fun!
architect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2009, 15:23   #80
Senior - BHPian

@condor: thanks mate I did report it and now it has been done. Exactly my point if it says chains and belts and doesn't specifically say alternate belt then it should be covered.
Even the price came as a shocker to me I just hope other parts are not that costly.
Old 31st March 2009, 15:37   #81
Senior - BHPian

Hi,

Even if I am repeating, if you look at what I have quoted, it says, 'timing gears, belts and chains' and so refers to things related witht hat only.

Quote:
@condor: thanks mate I did report it and now it has been done. Exactly my point if it says chains and belts and doesn't specifically say alternate belt then it should be covered.
Moreover,

I found this at the end of the document:

Air Conditioning:

Compressor, condenser, evaporator and clutch magnet.
(Exclusions: Hoses and pipes, drive belts and routine recharging of refrigerant.)

Since the drive belts are not covered under normal warranty, Tata won't cover it in the extended warranty.

All the best!
trrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2009, 15:37   #82
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
trrk : The following is an excerpt from the extended warranty booklet.
Engine:

Cylinder head, head gasket, oil pump and drive, crankshaft, flywheel and ring gear, timing gears, belts and chains, camshaft, cam follower, valves
(excluding burnt and pitted valves), ....
@Wanderer, see the words above, that I have highlighted in bold. The reference there is for timing gears, timing belts & timing chains. (This vehicle doesnot have any other chain in it)

Btw, isnt the alternator belt a polyster belt ? Those belts will definitely come under wear & tear items. And also should not cost much. Though labor may be on basis of time taken.

Did they give you the old belt ? Did you check it for cracks etc ?
Old 31st March 2009, 16:25   #83
Senior - BHPian

Ok my bad I was concentrating too much on just chains and belts and not the whole group of words. Yes they did give me the old belt. The groove linings were worn out. Yeah it didnot cost much but I think the overall shock effect of paying 4800 INR as cost of 3rd FREE service had me blankout. lol.
Thanks Condor and Trrk.
Old 31st March 2009, 16:38   #84
Distinguished - BHPian

@Wanderer, can understand. A FREE serivce that cost 4.8k !! Some free service that ..

Whoever wrote that Wty booklet needs a refresher course in English language. Something like our Yeti baba's English language knock-out course as in this thread :

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifti...r-english.html (A YetiGuide® : How To Post In Proper English)
Old 15th April 2009, 14:47   #85
Senior - BHPian

Yeah he sure does. I have already pricked them and threatened to sue them ( though I am not over a measly 250 INR) but they ahve asked their claim cell to go into the warranty clauses once again and revert back to me. Lolz atleast they will have to study and argue first before saying no to me.
And am scared to think about the things that might go worng now as the manufacturer warranty is no longer in force, hehe. Infact I am so scared that I am not driving it at all.
Old 13th August 2009, 12:04   #86
Senior - BHPian

Well but I had to drive it, no choice. Last week while reversing out of the garage the wind forced the door close on me. Tried to brake but the damage was done. The door hit the rear left door and the door edge made the beading come off. Went to a TASS and got it fixed for a measly 8 INR. They just put a lock and straightened the chrome strip with a screwdriver. Then put some rubbing compound on the scratched which thankfully were not very deep. Though the chrome strip aint fully straight but serves the purpose.
Old 5th December 2009, 20:51   #87
Senior - BHPian

Not much of driving these past few months. ODO is just about to cross 25000 Km mark.
Two days ago a lady drove her Swift into my right doors while I was going to drop off my daughter to her school. IN the last one month its the second scratch on my right doors at her school. Both by women drivers.
The latest one has caused some deep marks on the right doors. Thankfully there has been no dents. The way it happened is that I was in the right lane and the lady was in the opposite (oncoming lane across the divider) and she just turned (U Turn) through a gap in the median and smack drove into me. Her excuse " I was looking at the turn and didnot see the car at all". I had a kid she had a kid, was in no mood for a fuss so let it go. I just hope the incident improves her eyesight. Will get some rubbing compound over the area tomorrow and see what happens. This school business is wearing me down. First getting up at 6 am and now having the women driving into my car, ahh the price one has to pay for education.
Old 5th December 2009, 23:04   #88
Senior - BHPian

Sorry to hear about these instances. You post made for a hilarious read though.
"The price one pay for education" - Classic.
Amartya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2009, 13:45   #89
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for the ncie comment, Amartya.
A amp has been added to power the front components now. They sound good. Better still is that if you really pick up the volume the other noises do get drowned. Good thing or those days when wifey is in a foul mood and the kids are bawling.
Next in line are few LED mods that will be doen once I ahve procured the right stuff. They will be mounted on the front roof line and the rear spoiler. I ahve also finally gotten aroudn to fabricating the foot board myself. Lets see how it goes.
Old 24th January 2010, 17:00   #90
Senior - BHPian

Now my left ORVM gets broken today by an auto driver outside the Railway Station and then feigns ignorance. Was picking up some family friends so I let it be. Now both of my ORVMS are broken and will do what I got done to my other one. Fix it permanently using a drilled screw.