Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Old 1st August 2008, 13:38   #256
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vchounal View Post
I live in Greater Noida. Everytime, I have to go to Noida or Delhi, I will have the pleasure of driving this beauty on an expressway (25 km one way). I am looking forward to the fun.

By the way, how does Magnum fare in city traffic conditions?
it is quite drivable in the city traffic as well, however you will find that the ride at low speed on uneven road is not good. it will shake you inside the car like anything, cluth is a bit hard and breaking involves lots of guess work. You will also find that there is lack of power below 1800rpm so in case you find the gap between traffic and you wish take off immediately in second / third gear and you are below 1800rpm then there is problem till you push rpm beyond 1800.

now be carefull here, as you push your car so hard in first or second gear, moment it crosses 1800 mark there is a sudden rush of 320nm torque, and it tends drag towards either of the side. hold you steering tight to control this drag. this is because the gearbox is on the left side, and there is legnth different in front drive shaft.

Last edited by throttleking : 1st August 2008 at 13:51.
throttleking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st August 2008, 13:43   #257
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by throttleking View Post
now be carefull here, as you push your car so hard in first or second gear, moment it crosses 1800 mark there is a sudden rush of 320nm torque, and it tends drang toward either of the side. hold you steering tight to control this drag. this is because the gearbox is on the left side, and there is legnth different in front drive shaft.

This is called torque steer. In addition to the position of the gearbox, there could be multitude of reasons. More info here.

Torque steering - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
reignofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st August 2008, 13:56   #258
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by reignofchaos View Post
This is called torque steer. In addition to the position of the gearbox, there could be multitude of reasons. More info here.

wow!!! thats a great piece of information, not only the problem is properly documented but they have also proposed the solution. i am wondering why GM could not take care of this. Surprisingly the same problem exists in Captiva. :(
Old 1st August 2008, 15:34   #259
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by throttleking View Post
now be carefull here, as you push your car so hard in first or second gear, moment it crosses 1800 mark there is a sudden rush of 320nm torque, and it tends drag towards either of the side. hold you steering tight to control this drag. this is because the gearbox is on the left side, and there is legnth different in front drive shaft.
In actual driving conditions in cities, is it a real safety hazard or can one manage the torque steer easily?
vchounal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st August 2008, 15:49   #260
Team-BHP Support

Unless you are flooring in first gear, torque steer will not be an issue.
tsk1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st August 2008, 16:25   #261
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Unless you are flooring in first gear, torque steer will not be an issue.
On a magnum, there is just so much torque, I felt that there's torque steer even in 2nd gear once the turbo spools.
reignofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st August 2008, 16:44   #262
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
On a magnum, there is just so much torque, I felt that there's torque steer even in 2nd gear once the turbo spools.
It is probably an irritant for new car owners. But, once you get used to it, it actually is a pleasure
mobike008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st August 2008, 17:15   #263
BHPian

beautiful car..and a definite pick over the octavia 1.9.Just one grouse,the car rolls too much on corners,but on straights its a torquemonster.
balenopower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st August 2008, 18:31   #264
BHPian

Quote:

Thanx a lot for the info reignofchaos. I think i read somewhere in this thread about someone using yokohoma S drives which helped a lot on the performance front coz goodyears do not do justice to the ample power available.

Quote:
In actual driving conditions in cities, is it a real safety hazard or can one manage the torque steer easily?
Not a hazard of course not, but i can bet you'd fall in love soon.

Quote:
very rightly said. i think you've driven magnum quite a lot. the engine begs for better wheels esp in the lower gears

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
It is probably an irritant for new car owners. But, once you get used to it, it actually is a pleasure
Not quite an irritant. i think this is what pulled me towards this car while i was TD'in others. And believe me getting used to more power does not take time

Quote:
Originally Posted by balenopower View Post
beautiful car..and a definite pick over the octavia 1.9.Just one grouse,the car rolls too much on corners,but on straights its a torquemonster.
Yep .. rolls quite a lot on tight corners no doubt but don't get to experience that much coz i use it in the city

Last edited by beanstalk_230 : 1st August 2008 at 18:34.
beanstalk_230 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st August 2008, 20:03   #265
Senior - BHPian

Torque Steer, That's the problem i was facing with my vRs
gosh the sales man told about this and then heard it from Mr. Clarkson from the very famous TG .
I am a noob!
abhinav.gupta88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st August 2008, 22:30   #266
BHPian

Also i guess the torque wave is better balanced in the newer magnums. I felt major difference in torque distribution and turbo lag with mine and the older TD car. Is it technically so or just my feeling?
Not sure
kris905 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th August 2008, 10:48   #267
BHPian

Quote:
torque steer is definitely there in second gear, but there is self driven trick to handle this, and you can make up for the lost time
used to it.

Last edited by throttleking : 4th August 2008 at 10:54.
Old 4th August 2008, 10:48   #268
BHPian

Quote:
there is not much problem, however i suggest to be careful until you are used to it.
Old 4th August 2008, 12:13   #269
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kris905 View Post
Also i guess the torque wave is better balanced in the newer magnums. I felt major difference in torque distribution and turbo lag with mine and the older TD car. Is it technically so or just my feeling?
Not sure

I agree with you. The new Magnum has a more evenly towards the turbo and the sudden burst of power in the older magnums is not noticable. I think this has to do with the ECU re-mapping done on the newer cars.
manojgautham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th August 2008, 14:03   #270
BHPian

Is it true that GM has re-mapped the ECU. I got a mail from GM last week stating that there has been no change in the ECU. This was a reply to the question I asked about the same.

Deepu
deepug is offline   Reply With Quote