Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Old 1st November 2008, 19:54   #286
BHPian

[quote=beanstalk_230;1036033]Guys I was planning to change the bulbs of my car. Could you all suggest some specific products. I was interested in getting the phillips H4 (white light). Any other better options.

Please suggest...

i have installed xenons cost me rs 8,500 very nice comapred to the original candelight bulbs but cops can fine you if u use the xenons inside the city so i use them only on the highway and use the driving lights in the bumper for city driving
dockap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st November 2008, 20:03   #287
Senior - BHPian

there aint a fine on xenons on the low beam
you are not allowed to use them on high beam
abhinav.gupta88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st November 2008, 22:25   #288
BHPian

xenons would be out of budget for me (I'd put that for my ICE thingi instead. ). I was just planning to get some bulb with a decent rating. h4 were costing around 1k and i think they could bring about a desirable change but still i wanted to know my options
beanstalk_230 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2008, 20:25   #289
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by throttleking View Post
this weekend i did some nasty performance test on my magnum, decided the to pull the engine in each gear to the max. Following are the results

120kmph in second gear
140kmph in third gear
160kmph in fourth gear
and 190kmph in fifth
What!! 120kmph in second? Are you kidding me?
What'll happen if you put in Petes dude?!

Someone, please please sell me your second hand TCDi please!
d_himan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2008, 22:59   #290
BHPian

yes i am yet to find someone who has installed a petes box on the magnum
dockap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2008, 11:18   #291
BHPian

Default New entrant

Hi guys,
I am a new member to this forum...but believe can add some value to the discussion based on my driving experience. Jumping straight on the facts, I have driven my car (including being driven by the driver) 32,300 kms with about 10 days to go for its first birthday. My experience has been awesome to say the least. I have driven it to speeds of upto 185 km/hr - gadgets include 2 reverse parking sensors (audio & video) , GPS and a cute Enzo ferrari on the dash (where ppl normally put idols). The turbo charger is awesome on highways. I have had proper races with a) Corolla (old) b) Civic c) Verna d) Accord e) BMW 320d. Results....
Corolla - Can only give a fight if the road is absolutely devoid of any traffic as the moment it braked.....i killed him.....
Civic - Honestly, the guy gave up too quickly...so dont have much to say
Verna - He was driving as if it was his last day on earth......had i won i would have died for sure....but honestly i did not get enough straight line....
Accord - Same result - Accord was thrashed but again it did not get the distance to respond...
BMW 320 d - This was awesome man...i was coming back from Chandigargh.....stopped at a red light....was the first one....a Beemer comes right next to me with hardly 10 inches between us....was enough a hint that "Game on"....the road ahead...absolutely clear....here we go....till about 120...we were neck and neck..i am not lying....and till the toll booth arrived....i did not let me overtake with some clever driving.....and then the expressway came...and i smartly let him pass...he disappeared within 10 secs (out of sight)...but honestly....he did roll down the window to glare at my MAG.....

no major glitches so far....only some problem with the sensors...and the car lost pick up as all sensors reduced the performance to avoid any damage......shocker was making some noise...which the engineers identified swiftly....fairly happy with the service......

Let me know if any specific questions....hope I have not got carried away

Note from the Team-BHP Support: Please take the time to use proper punctuation as per Team-BHP rules. Avoid...typing...like...this. Thanks.

Last edited by Jaggu : 8th December 2008 at 11:55. Reason: stop... typing... like this....
ferrari_driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2008, 13:37   #292
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_himan View Post

120 means he must have redlined (4.5k-6k) it all the way. Till 90 in 2nd its around 4-4.5k range already. Petes...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dockap View Post
yes i am yet to find someone who has installed a petes box on the magnum
yeah.. quite the same here. Couldn't find any inputs from anyone except for Petes of course.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrari_driver View Post
Hi guys,
I I have driven my car (including being driven by the driver) 32,300 kms with
u kidding right... i barely managed to touch 10k in the 1st year.

BTW what sensors are you talking about..?
beanstalk_230 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2008, 14:06   #293
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_himan View Post

whenever i plan to sell you will be the first person i shall contact. speed at which i tested totally depends on road conditions and trafic.

Petes yes recently my friend bought it for his Swift, one of the t-0bhpian arranged the contact number fo peter. i just casually asked my friend to ask peter about petes for Magnum. and peter said "who is this crazy guy who needs petes for Magnum?" and after couple of days he called back my friend saying tell you crazy friend that petes for Magnum has arrived making it 135bhp and some minor change in torque. will cost you around 28k.

one more incident so far with my Magnum when I was driving down on highway at night. I was cruising at about 100kmph and I had to break suddenly as there was broken road ahead with no diversion notice, it was pretty close by the time I realized I have to break, I usually release the break and floor it again to avoid skidding but this time I could not avoid that and Car went skidding about 30-40 feet and huge rubber smoke came out, a proper tyre burnout, I enjoyed the smoke for a moment. Thank god car just stopped before the broken road. I started my drive again and car started wobbling like wheel balancing and alignment is gone, but if that is the case then car would wobble at high speed and not at low speed. Initially I though one of tyre is flat, so I stopped and checked the tyres but there was no sign all tyres were properly inflated. Next day morning I check the tyres again and I found that the front 2 tyre has flat surface, all the tyre design and side wall is just washed out during the hard breaking. Service advisor says he has not seen this happening before in any of the car. And both tyres are flatt spotted and now useless.

Launched the complaint with Goodyear, nothing happened. threw off one of the tyres and got one new GT3. Car has done 17k so far one month to go for its birthday, will drive it for another 10k and then will switch to Bridgestone Potenzas 205/60/15

Last edited by throttleking : 9th December 2008 at 14:20.
throttleking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2008, 14:34   #294
Distinguished - BHPian

throtteking: tyre locked?

Saw a black one with mesh grill instead of the stock chrome and with chevy emblem painted red. The emblem was fixed towards the left side. Looked hot.
jkdas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2008, 20:05   #295
Senior - BHPian

Optra Magnum has no ABS?!?

And you want to Pete that thing?
ImmortalZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2008, 20:43   #296
BHPian

Quote:
whenever i plan to sell you will be the first person i shall contact
thanks! looks like its gonna be a pretty long wait though

Quote:
petes for Magnum has arrived making it 135bhp and some minor change in torque. will cost you around 28k.
140bhp and 364NM ...
Pete's Automotive Products Pvt Limited

Quote:
I had to break suddenly as there was broken road ahead with no diversion notice, it was pretty close by the time I realized I have to break, I usually release the break and floor it again to avoid skidding but this time I could not avoid that and Car went skidding about 30-40 feet
ABS ABS....
d_himan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2008, 10:53   #297
BHPian

"u kidding right... i barely managed to touch 10k in the 1st year.

BTW what sensors are you talking about..?[/quote]

I am serious, I commute over 90 kms everyday to office and back plus I have gone on several weekend getaways.

I am talking about the performance monitoring sensors that are installed in the car. For instance, if one of the filters has malfunctioned, then the corresponding sensor would indicate that to the master sensor which would send an input to all the other sensors to adjust performance of their respective components to reduce damage to the engine.

In my case, one of the sensor had malfunctioned not the component it was monitoring, hence wrong feedback was going to the main sensor. As a result the pick up of the car was reduced considerably
Old 10th December 2008, 13:28   #298
BHPian

somebody please get me aftermarket ABS no i dont want Petes. but probably need beter footwear for my Magnum.
throttleking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2008, 14:12   #299
BHPian

Default Is it really Effective?

Quote:
somebody please get me aftermarket ABS no i dont want Petes. but probably need beter footwear for my Magnum.
I am not sure how effective are the Pete's of the world in the long run. Anyway the Magnum has tonnes of power already available for Indian roads which has almost landed me into trouble a few times. After all I don't think the 200+ bhp cars are every stretched on india roads

Maybe my ignorance is making my say all that
Old 11th December 2008, 00:44   #300
BHPian

Default Completed 25000 km

Completed 25000km in my Magnum TCDI.I am very happy with the the car except for the following,

There is a slight 'tik ' sound from the suspension(right side) when the car goes over bad surfaces.The same sound comes continously(tik tik tik)when full right turn is taken.Complained regarding this at 15k service at TVS Bangalore but gave back the car without rectifying the problem.Wrote a mail to GM regarding this and based on this complaint the service centre manager got in touch with me and assured that it will get rectified.TVS guy came and took the car from my home and delivered back after two days.For one day there was no sound but it started again.Now TVS has sent me a mail that this problem will be rectified completely during the next service interval.The sound is slight but it irritates because it should not come from a car which has done only 15k km.Anybody have any idea what sound it might be

Other than this the car is performing well.Used to get around 9-10 (with AC)in Bangalore city traffic.In long drives if driven around 80-90 it gives around 17.Last week went to Chennai and the speed were around 110-120 and gave 15.3 per litre(with AC).During spirited driving it use to give only around 13.

During the 15k service engine flushing was done and additives added to the engine.Was this necessary at 15k(bill was 4350rs at 15k).The executive then told me that it has to be done at every 20k km interval.

Will update after the 25k service,Hopefully this time the sound from the suspension will be rectified.
stable rock is offline   Reply With Quote