Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Old 11th December 2008, 11:41   #301
BHPian

I have a question to all magnum owners, what is your feedback on breaking of magnum? despite of four disks I feel breaking requires lots of guess work.

My magnum has done around 17k, couple of weeks back i gave it to Pashankar for 15k service, total bill was 3500Rs, that includes wheel alignement and Fog lamp bulb. I just casually asked them to do the break inspection as well, and service advisor came back saying break pads seems to wearing out and would not last more than another 4k kms. he said it would cost 2300Rs to replace the break pads.

I am wondering if break pads loses its life at just 17k? Cant really believe it. secondly after i got the vehicle from service, i immediately felt the difference in breaking, it sounds more weaker now, it could be just psychological or is it really weak now? has the workshop guys replaced break pads with weaker ones? cant really conclude on this. My Ikon had done 57k when i sold it and breaks were still doing good.

I sense some jhol here from the dealer. Your views please.

Last edited by throttleking : 11th December 2008 at 11:43.
throttleking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2008, 13:24   #302
BHPian

Default Nagging sound towards the right side of the car

Quote:
Originally Posted by stable rock View Post

There is a slight 'tik ' sound from the suspension(right side) when the car goes over bad surfaces.The same sound comes continously(tik tik tik)when full right turn is taken..

Hi stable rock,

I guess I can help you out on that as I faced exactly the same problem some time back. They took some time to figure out but they could not locate the faulty. Hence, they suggested to open the right shocker and I had no choice but to agree.

The fault was located, although I was not there personally to check it. Since then (its been close to 1,000 kms already 10 days * 100 kms per day ) and fortunately have not noticed any problem.

Hope your problem gets resolved.
ferrari_driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2008, 13:56   #303
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by throttleking View Post
I have a question to all magnum owners, what is your feedback on breaking of magnum? despite of four disks I feel breaking requires lots of guess work.

I am wondering if break pads loses its life at just 17k? Cant really believe it. secondly after i got the vehicle from service, i immediately felt the difference in breaking, it sounds more weaker now, it could be just psychological or is it really weak now? has the workshop guys replaced break pads with weaker ones? cant really conclude on this. My Ikon had done 57k when i sold it and breaks were still doing good.
The brake pad is not yet changed in my Magnum.During last service they told me that it is in good shape and no issues with braking for me.

My innova brake pad was asked to change at 10k kms by the Toyota Service center and i was shocked .Asked the reason for changing this early and the reason given was that it all depends on the driving style but still 10k is too early for a change.I was very dissapointed because previously i used lancer and first brake pad change was at 45k km.

2300 for the magnum brake pad is cheap when compared to other cars.The spare prices of magnum is cheaper when considering the spare prices of other car in same segment.This was one of the reason for choosing magnum and i am enjoying it.But service is not up to the mark in Bangalore when compared to Toyota and Mitsubishi(atleast in Bangalore,old Lathangi).
stable rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2008, 14:00   #304
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrari_driver View Post
Hi stable rock,

I guess I can help you out on that as I faced exactly the same problem some time back. They took some time to figure out but they could not locate the faulty. Hence, they suggested to open the right shocker and I had no choice but to agree.

The fault was located, although I was not there personally to check it. Since then (its been close to 1,000 kms already 10 days * 100 kms per day ) and fortunately have not noticed any problem.

Hope your problem gets resolved.
Thanx for the info firend.So you are telling that the problem is with the shock absorber(shocker is shock absorber isnt it),then how come the sound comes when the steering is turned completely to the right even in smooth surface.
stable rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2008, 14:31   #305
Senior - BHPian

Brake pad wear is highly dependent on ones driving style. My mother's car generally requires a change at around 30-40k mark whereas mine almost never last more than 20-25k. Hard braking means aggressive wear and vice-versa.

So, while 17k + 4k (estimated life left) = 21k is ok, 10k is still too low.
iraghava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2008, 15:34   #306
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iraghava View Post
Brake pad wear is highly dependent on ones driving style. My mother's car generally requires a change at around 30-40k mark whereas mine almost never last more than 20-25k. Hard braking means aggressive wear and vice-versa.

So, while 17k + 4k (estimated life left) = 21k is ok, 10k is still too low.
surprisingly my drivign style has not change either. i mean i used Ikon for 57k and did not need to change the break pads, and suddenly so much difference in Magnum. I would agree on one thing that ikon was mostly driven in Nagpur with very less traffic around compared to Pune. However there are friends in bangalore driving magnum in heavy traffic and done around 35k and still there is no need to chnge the break pads.

i agree that 2300rs for break pads is not really expensive.
Old 11th December 2008, 17:03   #307
BHPian

^^ Cannot comment on the above coz mine is struggling to cross even the 11k mark now

@ throttle - even i went though some rare situations when i actually wished for the abs. no wonder wat'll happen if one puts on the petes... and moreover its not a 'minor' change in the torque figure (314nm - 364nm) with 20 more hp
beanstalk_230 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2008, 18:17   #308
BHPian

Default Shockers & Brake pads

Quote:
Originally Posted by stable rock View Post
Thanx for the info firend.So you are telling that the problem is with the shock absorber(shocker is shock absorber isnt it),then how come the sound comes when the steering is turned completely to the right even in smooth surface.
Well, honestly, I have just told you what GM guys told me in terms of what they did to rectify the fault. I guess, some component tied to the shock absorber might be making the sound. I am fairly certain that you get it checked as the symptoms were exactly the same as described by you.

As far as driving style is concerned for the brakepads, magnum pads are likely to wear out faster just because of the beating they take to tame the turbo charger. Man, the car lunges forward all the time.....my left foot aches far more than the right one...always. I have already run over 32,500 kms in 11 months, and have got the front brake pad replaced about 10,000 kms back.

Honestly, I wont mind getting them changed frequently also, as this car requires your brakes to work absolutely fine at all times, forget other parts.
Old 11th December 2008, 20:12   #309
BHPian

Congrats on the new car beanstalk. Nice to see the excitement and passion in your post.
fatherlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2008, 10:55   #310
BHPian

Alright without any hesitation i would change the break pads in next month at 20k Service. Safety first!!!

But apart from that nobody has given their feedback on Breaking performance of Magnum?
Old 12th December 2008, 20:06   #311
BHPian

hey guys check out the link below its a racechip for nubria 2.0 ctdi do u think it will work for my magnum ?its much cheaper than petes box and more powerful is it safe to order it?installation looks very easy 155hp with 361 torque vooorrrrrrrrrrmmmmmmmmmm
Chiptuning RaceChip - Chevrolet Nubria 2.0 CDTI, 1993ccm, 89kW (ca.121PS)
dockap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2008, 10:05   #312
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dockap View Post
hey guys check out the link below its a racechip for nubria 2.0 ctdi do u think it will work for my magnum ?its much cheaper than petes box and more powerful is it safe to order it?installation looks very easy 155hp with 361 torque vooorrrrrrrrrrmmmmmmmmmm
Chiptuning RaceChip - Chevrolet Nubria 2.0 CDTI, 1993ccm, 89kW (ca.121PS)

155bhp phewwwwww... that sounds interesting, hope you have Magnum topend with ABS and Airbags. Get a safty gear for yourself
Old 15th December 2008, 12:06   #313
BHPian

Default Is Civic really quick?

Hey guys,

I am just wondering if the Civic is really that quick to the 100 km/hr mark as claimed by the car magazines? My dad drives an automatic and I just feel it will take ages to reach 100 km /hr compared to my Magnum. I can understand the difference of maybe a second between the auto & the manual vairant...but it still appears really slow.

I really believe Magnum is far quicker in all aspects than any variant of the Civic - Auto / Manual / Hybrid....What say cheers:
Old 15th December 2008, 19:10   #314
Senior - BHPian

You are probably wrong. A diesel will feel faster because of all that torque pushing you into the seat.

Hyundai chose well when they tagged the Verna with "Feel it."

Race your dad one day and find out
ImmortalZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th December 2008, 09:53   #315
BHPian

Default How quick is the civic?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImmortalZ View Post
You are probably wrong. A diesel will feel faster because of all that torque pushing you into the seat.

Hyundai chose well when they tagged the Verna with "Feel it."

Race your dad one day and find out
On one hand I do agree that the torque makes the diesel feel faster, but the magnum is actually quick off the blocks to the 100 km/hr mark. I feel the Civic picks up speed only after the 80 km/hr mark true to any petrol engine for that matter.

As far as racing my dad is concerned, its out of question boss as he drives at an average speed of 50-60 km / hr