Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Old 16th December 2008, 10:24   #316
BHPian

Civic is definitely faster than Magnum, in 0-100 sprint Magnum takes only 9.87 secs where as Civic takes 9.5 secs. and yes Magnum gives you that feel and its real too

However it all depends on who is sitting behind the wheel, you make out for that 0.37 secs.
throttleking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th December 2008, 18:22   #317
BHPian

Default Magnum rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by throttleking View Post
Civic is definitely faster than Magnum, in 0-100 sprint Magnum takes only 9.87 secs where as Civic takes 9.5 secs. and yes Magnum gives you that feel and its real too

However it all depends on who is sitting behind the wheel, you make out for that 0.37 secs.
The beauty of driving a Magnum is that you feel there is enough metal in this car and "hopefully" any untoward incident wont be lethal. On the other hand I dont get that "secure" feeling while driving the ultra light civic. By the way I am not sure how much does a lower tyre profile (60 for Magnum Vs 65 for Civic) for the magnum help in a better speed. Based on my limited understanding, lower profile tyre gives better speed (glide factor) but compromises on the bumps.

Bottom line is....After driving for 33,300 kms in merely an year, I still lech at my Maggy. It is a common man's BMW and just like BMW says "There is no alternative" - the same applies here too....cheers:
ferrari_driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th December 2008, 23:02   #318
BHPian

Default update 25000 service done

Today 25000 kms service was done.The total bill was Rs.3107.The suspension 'tik tik' noise is vanished.Front right and left tie rod connector replaced under warranty(1250 for each) and rear right and left strut is also replaced under warranty due to leakage(2700 for each).The car is now 18 months old.These parts were replaced even after warranty period(12 months) because the suspension noise was complained from 10k service and it was never rectified.So wrote a mail to GM customer service after the last service few months back and got an immediate response from GM.GM assured to rectify all the problems during the 25k service and hopefully i think everything is rectified now.

The brake pads(front and back) were asked to replace by A.S.S and quoted around 5k.Didnt replace it from the service center.Got the brake pads from a friends shop in JC road for 1800(both front and rear).He told me it is the OE brake pad and replaced it from a local garage.

The headlight is also upgraded to 100/90w.The light throw is excellent and it is a must for Magnum since the stock light is poor.GE bulbs are used and the roots wiring kit.Total cost was 800/-.Rs 200 paid as labour for changing the brake pad.

Last edited by stable rock : 27th December 2008 at 23:04.
stable rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th December 2008, 13:37   #319
BHPian

Default Headlamps

Quote:
Originally Posted by stable rock View Post
The headlight is also upgraded to 100/90w.The light throw is excellent and it is a must for Magnum since the stock light is poor.GE bulbs are used and the roots wiring kit.Total cost was 800/-.Rs 200 paid as labour for changing the brake pad.
I want to know if got only the bulbs replaced or did you require some change in the wiring / installation of the relay as well. I had also replaced the bulbs with 100/90 w but i still feel the light is not adequate. Could anyone suggest what are the options except going for HID (Xenon) lights? Also, could something be wrong with the dynamo as it may not be configured for a higher wattage bulb
Old 29th December 2008, 17:55   #320
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrari_driver View Post
I want to know if got only the bulbs replaced or did you require some change in the wiring / installation of the relay as well. I had also replaced the bulbs with 100/90 w but i still feel the light is not adequate. Could anyone suggest what are the options except going for HID (Xenon) lights? Also, could something be wrong with the dynamo as it may not be configured for a higher wattage bulb
The bulb used in my car is GE ralley.The light is excellent now while in bright but in dim it is only a little better than the stock dim light.But i am satisfied with the present Ge bulbs used.There is no need of change in the wiring,nowadays readymade kit is available.i think it has to be connected to the battery and it is just 15 mints job.
stable rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2008, 12:04   #321
BHPian

Default Minor Problem with Magnum

As this is the place for long term ownership feedback, thought it would be of some use to inform you guys about a minor problem I faced yesterday. I had gone to Nainital a few days back and covered ~ 600 kms in a matter of 3 days. On the way, we hit a pit at a reasonable speed (I have front two tyres as Good Year and rear two as Bridgestones). My dad's reaction was of suspicion of the condition of the front left tubeless tyre which has born the max impact. As it turned out, it had a small leak coupled with a bump. (this is the 3rd good year tyre - 2 for my optra and 1 for dad's civic that has let us down). I had to get into Moradabad city to locate a Bridgestone dealer and bought a new tyre. The dealer was not even willing to take the old tyre for free. In fact he informed me, that Honda had switeched over to Bridgestone and ultimately to Michelin. Michelin gives the lowest road noise according to hime

Coming to the minor problem, yesterday evening suddenly the car did not start at all. On turning the ignition, all sesnors started flickering, and it appeared there was some electrical fault. I called GM who sent two idiots who claimed there is some major fault. Eventually I had to call a crane which towed my car (the entire car was towed over a truck so no wheels on the road) with me sitting between the driver and the helper, and we reached the workshop (other than from where the two idiots had come) to deposit the car. First thing in the morning the GM guys observed that cos of some major bumps, the acid from the battery had leaked and casused some sulphur deposit on the battery which was hindering the current flow. The car started in 10 minutes. Got all systems checked to be sure, and was perferctly fine.

I guess, with 34,000 kms in an year, these are 'minor' problems after all - after all I am madly in love with my Magnum----thoroughly enjoyed driving to Nainital in dense fog (GPS assisted a lot), massive traffic (took us 14 hrs to reach from Delhi).cheers:

Questions, feedaback awaited
Old 30th December 2008, 17:41   #322
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrari_driver View Post
the GM guys observed that cos of some major bumps, the acid from the battery had leaked and casused some sulphur deposit on the battery which was hindering the current flow. The car started in 10 minutes. Got all systems checked to be sure, and was perferctly fine.
that is not very welcoming. a bump causing a leak in the battery. AFAIR magnum is supplied with some amaron battery... are they not that good or its just once in a thousand issue?
beanstalk_230 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2008, 18:14   #323
BHPian

Here i come with my first sad incident with my Magnum, some of my friends came from Nagpur and we all planned to go to mahabaleshwar for our fellow Bullet club's anniverssay party. as we were six of us, one of my friend decided to take my machismo 500 and five of us went in car.

In between clicked some good pics of my magnum to post it on Team-bhp, not knowing whats going to happen in next couple of hours.

Next day while returning home, we stoped at dhaba on highway for lunch at 4pm. we finished our stuff by 6pm and by that it was already getting dark. and my lovely friend who was riding my Bullet was eager to drive my Magnum. So I give him the keys (big mistake) and i tell him few rules of Magnum. 1. Beware of Torque steer and do not rev in 2nd gear the car literally drags, 2. breaking is weak so be careful, 3. Handling is not gr8 (he drives Baleno), 4. Its very powerful car so be careful again. I narrated the rules to him and i zoomed-off on my Bullet.

While these guys entered in city, he was driving behind TATA 407, then he saw a Palio went from the left, so there was a auto on the left side and a bike behind that. Palio managed to escape from left as the distance between 407 and bike was good, but by the time my dear friend decided to go behind Palio he didnt realized that its going to be very close, so he reved hard and nothing happening till 1500rpm, and then huge torque steer didnt even give him a chance to stop or control the car, he didnt find any gap and banged into bike. :(

Nothing happened to the bike rider and the pillion. But the left part of front bumper from fog lamp to wheel got completely seperated and fell off. So the total Damage here

1. Front Bumper Rs.2700 aprox
2. Fog Lamp Rs.2700 aprox
3. Bumper Paint Rs. 3500
4. Fog Lamp cover Rs. 500
5. Wiper washer tank Rs. 2000 aprox

I have been doing long drives and what not, have touched 190kmph many times, yet i ensure that i drive carefully, not that i touch 190 in city or something and not that i do it regularly. I have been driving carefully and taking all precautions to save my car in Pune traffic and managed to keep it scratchless for 11 months. and when i was about to complete a year, i am blessed with lovely gift from a friend.

repairs are not done yet as i have renewed the insurance, and new policy will be effective from 7th Jan, then will make claim and get it done.

Meanwhile i am very upset, only I know what it has taken to buy that dream car.
Old 30th December 2008, 23:22   #324
BHPian

thats really sad but dont worry after repair she should be as good as new.i 2 learnt the hard way never give your car to your friend to drive when you are not with him in the car i am sure if you were with him you would not have allowed him to follow the palio

regarding the stock goodyear gt3 tyres they suck i have changed to michellin pp2 10k now no problems very comfy,good grip and no road noise
also 1 of the stock goodyear gt3 on my wifes indica vista burst it had run only 2500 kms changed all 4 tyres on the vista to bf goodrich not as good as michellin but hey you get what you pay they cost 1700 less per tyre compared to the michellin pp2
dockap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st December 2008, 18:33   #325
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by throttleking View Post
Here i come with my first sad incident with my Magnum, some of my friends came from Nagpur and we all planned to go to mahabaleshwar for our fellow Bullet club's anniverssay party. as we were six of us, one of my friend decided to take my machismo 500 and five of us went in car.

In between clicked some good pics of my magnum to post it on Team-bhp, not knowing whats going to happen in next couple of hours.

Next day while returning home, we stoped at dhaba on highway for lunch at 4pm. we finished our stuff by 6pm and by that it was already getting dark. and my lovely friend who was riding my Bullet was eager to drive my Magnum. So I give him the keys (big mistake) and i tell him few rules of Magnum. 1. Beware of Torque steer and do not rev in 2nd gear the car literally drags, 2. breaking is weak so be careful, 3. Handling is not gr8 (he drives Baleno), 4. Its very powerful car so be careful again. I narrated the rules to him and i zoomed-off on my Bullet.

While these guys entered in city, he was driving behind TATA 407, then he saw a Palio went from the left, so there was a auto on the left side and a bike behind that. Palio managed to escape from left as the distance between 407 and bike was good, but by the time my dear friend decided to go behind Palio he didnt realized that its going to be very close, so he reved hard and nothing happening till 1500rpm, and then huge torque steer didnt even give him a chance to stop or control the car, he didnt find any gap and banged into bike. :(

Nothing happened to the bike rider and the pillion. But the left part of front bumper from fog lamp to wheel got completely seperated and fell off. So the total Damage here

1. Front Bumper Rs.2700 aprox
2. Fog Lamp Rs.2700 aprox
3. Bumper Paint Rs. 3500
4. Fog Lamp cover Rs. 500
5. Wiper washer tank Rs. 2000 aprox

I have been doing long drives and what not, have touched 190kmph many times, yet i ensure that i drive carefully, not that i touch 190 in city or something and not that i do it regularly. I have been driving carefully and taking all precautions to save my car in Pune traffic and managed to keep it scratchless for 11 months. and when i was about to complete a year, i am blessed with lovely gift from a friend.

repairs are not done yet as i have renewed the insurance, and new policy will be effective from 7th Jan, then will make claim and get it done.

Meanwhile i am very upset, only I know what it has taken to buy that dream car.
That is very sad buddy........ Driving the Magnum is more like riding a wild horse. It takes you sometime to get used to car.

The car should be back to normal after the repair, take care.
manojgautham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2009, 17:55   #326
BHPian

^^ that is indeed very sad to hear. Hope the repairs are completed soon. Do take care in the future.
beanstalk_230 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2009, 16:45   #327
BHPian

Default Nitrogen inflated tyres

posting a few pics of the nitrogen filling machine and my car while they inflated the tyres with nitrogen
advantages-
nitrogen does not expand with heat so tyre pressure remains constant
less chance of tyre burst when driving at high speeds
no need of checking the tyre pressure for upto 6 months

proccedure was very simple
they use a hydraulic jack to lift each tyre and then empty the air then they connect it to the nitrogen filling machine and it empties the residual air and inflates the tyre with nitrogen
same proccedure repeated for each tyre
Attached Thumbnails
Chevrolet Optra Magnum TCDi ... My new love ..!!-02012009163.jpg  

Chevrolet Optra Magnum TCDi ... My new love ..!!-02012009164.jpg  

Chevrolet Optra Magnum TCDi ... My new love ..!!-02012009165.jpg  

Chevrolet Optra Magnum TCDi ... My new love ..!!-02012009166.jpg  

Old 6th January 2009, 16:55   #328
Team-BHP Support

I see that the new Optra Magnum's come with full automatic climate control and a new HU.

I'm sure the next version will have sunroof, auto foldable ORVM's and some other goodies.
Vid6639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2009, 17:00   #329
BHPian

good one dockap, are those Michelin PP2s? how is the performance?
Old 6th January 2009, 17:07   #330
BHPian

yes they are pp2s run 10k on them no problems so far and they still look almost new
very very comfy and good grip,they are the best tyres i have had so far on any of my cars