Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Old 18th August 2009, 12:52   #361
BHPian

Well My Magnum has done about 22K.

Considering GM changes the engine oil only after every 10K Kms, was wondering if any of you change the engine oil every 5K considergin they put mineral oil?

Which brand do you recommend?
kewlferrari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2009, 11:30   #362
BHPian

Car is back from servicing, changed the oil, oil filter, rear breaklight bulb and front break pads, total bill 5106/-
throttleking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2009, 20:50   #363
BHPian

Default Optra Magnum (Diesel) Review - 55k Kms

Hi Guys,

I am back in this forum after a long gap - world of financial consulting leaves no time - anyway straight to business - My magnum has done 54,000 kms in about 1.5 years - I drive 90-100 kms every day on an average and a weekend getaway once 2 months.

Till date, other than a fault in one of the sensors (some 20k kms back) I have not faced any problem with my car - have rarely been late in service even by a day. In fact I have been maintaining a detailed record of the mileage as well for the last 2 years.

Typically, I get 12.5 to 13 on Premium fuel and the mileage curve is a bell shaped curve with the average dropping closer to service due date.

I have off late started feeling too much tyre noise though at speeds above 120 kmph (in Magnum its not too infrequent). I have front two tyres as Bridgestones (12k each) and have rear tyres as Good Year (20 k and 53 k) I guess the latter is the trouble maker. Thinking of replacing two tyres (including a worn out stepnney - 31 k bridgestone) with Michelins Primacy LC to give it a shot

Pick up is still the same and have loaded the car with gadgets - GPS, Video + Audio parking sensor and Car Speaker Phone (Bluetooth)

Had an accident where a biker rammed into my left side - no need to replace the door as each door has a beam

Do let me know if anyone wants to know feedback on any specific issue - 54 k is a lot of statistical kms to even out one off events.

Would try my best to be regular - hope I have not violated any Team Bhp rules here !!!
ferrari_driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2009, 11:15   #364
BHPian

fantastic review ferrari_driver, i am sure other magnum owners will agree, Magnum is reliable car and fun to own.

why dont you change all four tyres?
throttleking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2009, 12:47   #365
Senior - BHPian

Congrats and good update from ferrari_driver.
Pls post the detailed maintenance record if you have one.There are many people over here who are worried abt the Service & spares costs etc.

Few problems I've noticed in Magnum.

a)There seems to be frequent change in tires & break pads in the Magnum,might be due to more power.(changing to Michelin PP2 is a wise idea)
b)Tik tik sounds from shockers.
c)Changing only the tires instead of alloys during a tire rotation to avoid pulling.
d)Rattling sounds from wooden panels

last but not least,no car is perfect,can live with these.
Ramsagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th August 2009, 18:49   #366
BHPian

Default Magnum Service Costs

Thanks guys, I am glad you liked the review.

As far as the service costs are concerned, thumb rule for disel cars is around Rs 0.5 - 1 per km ( in my opinion) so on an average your service bill should be between Rs 2,500 to Rs 5,000 for every alternate service.

Till date, I have had front pair of shockers changed and rear are also due for change (100 kms a day take its toll somewhere) Let me address specific concerns of yours here to the best of my ability:
  • Tik tik sound is certainly from the shockers / mounting - I had taken it to the GM workshop - and guess what - they started tightning all the screws!!! - of course I was not satisfied and they had to unmount the shockers and fit it back again - the sound then disappeared
  • Wooden panels creaking is common and unavoidable I guess
Ok here is where I am in the middle of a long drawn research - I have maintained a detailed record of the mileage using premium fuel - predominantly - BP Speed and now have given HP - Turboject a shot. As I mentioned before, a weak after service the mileage starts going up, attains a peak of 13.5 and starts falling to about 12 closer to service. Pick up with HP is slightly better (although it could be judgemental error)

I have not made up my mind on tyres - although I am a hard core Ferrari - Schumi - Bridgestone - Potenza fan : would be a shame to see Michelins on my car!!!

Headlights were a pain - so got the HIDs installed (with alignment from workshop) no issues there -

Brakes are working fine - no issues with that

Thats it - wud keep posting - one week means 700 kms of feedback from my side
ferrari_driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd September 2009, 17:39   #367
BHPian

On my magnum, i would like to replace the fog lamp with some HID Kit.
Need suggestion pls
raaga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th November 2009, 16:06   #368
BHPian

Hi everybody. I bought a second hand optra magnum LT 2.0 with 14k on the odo for 7.2 lakhs. The colour is artic blue and i have installed audio parking system, rear view camera, lcd. The first 1000km was great. But after that while driving the park brake light along with the battery was lighting up intermittently while driving. I have given it to gm to sort of the problem. Has anybody experienced this problem?
nims is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th November 2009, 18:47   #369

Default 30k Service

Thought i should share my experiences with my Optra.

It is around 2 Years old and has done about 33K. The car is mostly driver driven (what a shame) and is used by my family.

My Optra broken down near the airport and it had to be towed to SUndaram Motors, Chennai. The culprit was a damaged Clutch and was told that it had to be replaced. I was quite shocked that a clutch needed replacing by 30K Kms. The sundaram motors guy blamed the driver for the clutch damage and claimed that there was excessive clutch driving. My driver has more than 20 years of driving experience, and we havent had a single clutch replacement so far this early... What can you say ...

Anyways here are a few problems in the Optra so far,

1. Front left hand side fog lamp had gotten loose (i suspect the towing guy did this) - Fixed
2. Suspension tik tik noise - Fixed
3. One minor rattle, cant seem to figure out where it is coming from.
4. Brake Pads were almost dead but dealer gave them another 5K Kms - So decided to change them during the 35K service.
5. The good years are terrible, one of the tyres is so out of shape, it hasnt been used and is lying in the boot. tyres look like they will come for another 5K -10k Kms. I am thinking of BS or Michelin.

Overall bill - 22K (Clutch was around 15K including a new plate, labor etc)
the remaining 7K was for various oil changes, and some other things that i cant seem to remember.

Anyway overall the car is holding out well, it is driven almost 95% in the city and mostly in peak traffic. That is the worst kind of abuse a car can get.

Overall a thumbs up for the Optra. I love this car on the highway... Nothing i have driven comes close...

Other Observations,
1. I get between 11-12 in city driving with 100% AC on.
2. I am amazed at the noise levels inside the Optra. Inspite of its very noisy engine, the back seat is very quiet.
3. Clutch definitely hardens with time and but is much better after the regular service. Most service bills for me till this one were between 1-2K.
vc_naveen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2009, 16:34   #370
BHPian

A pics of my magnum.

even i got the heavy clutch problem. Its a pain when you drive for a while!
Attached Thumbnails
Chevrolet Optra Magnum TCDi ... My new love ..!!-12112009.jpg  

Last edited by nims : 15th November 2009 at 16:41.
Old 15th November 2009, 17:11   #371
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dockap View Post
hey guys check out the link below its a racechip for nubria 2.0 ctdi do u think it will work for my magnum ?its much cheaper than petes box and more powerful is it safe to order it?installation looks very easy 155hp with 361 torque vooorrrrrrrrrrmmmmmmmmmm
Chiptuning RaceChip - Chevrolet Nubria 2.0 CDTI, 1993ccm, 89kW (ca.121PS)
just saw this post. This is like half the price of a pete's box(28k)
Is it for the same engine as the magnum??? IF it is im definitely getting it
Great find mate!!
Old 15th November 2009, 20:06   #372
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vc_naveen View Post
I was quite shocked that a clutch needed replacing by 30K Kms. The sundaram motors guy blamed the driver for the clutch damage and claimed that there was excessive clutch driving. My driver has more than 20 years of driving experience, and we havent had a single clutch replacement so far this early... What can you say ...
Clutch longevity is based on the driver. It can last just 100 kms or can serve you close to 70 K kms.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nims View Post
even i got the heavy clutch problem. Its a pain when you drive for a while!
This is early signs of clutch wear. Get this checked by the Authorized SS.
DieselFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2009, 13:23   #373
Senior - BHPian

nims: Congrats on the buy. You have a stonker machine.
I've came across many Optra's selling within 20 to 30k kms. Can anybody tell us the reason.
Ramsagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2009, 18:06   #374
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by raaga View Post
On my magnum, i would like to replace the fog lamp with some HID Kit.
Need suggestion pls
Check in your owners manual which bulbs do they use in the foglamp? Specify the bulb no. to the store you get the kit installed from.

HID in a foglamp it would serve no practical purpose apart from looking bling. Get HID for the headlamps instead.
.anshuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2009, 18:16   #375
BHPian

A friends magnum, check out the alloys. I think they are hot!!
Attached Images
File Type: bmp optra.bmp (695.6 KB, 2870 views)