Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Old 17th November 2009, 18:28   #376
Team-BHP Support

Did anyone notice the Chevy Magnum advertisement in the newpapers(Delhi) yesterday? it wore amazing set of alloy rims. Will try to find the pic and post.
.anshuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2009, 10:09   #377
BHPian

.anshuman: Here's the ad from TOI for your reference. 8.49L for Diesel. I guess it is basic version price. Have to find out the price for LT.
Hudson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2009, 14:48   #378
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson View Post
.anshuman: Here's the ad from TOI for your reference. 8.49L for Diesel. I guess it is basic version price. Have to find out the price for LT.
Well i am not talking about the price, i was talking about the lovely Alloys in the pic. The price mentioned is the Ex showroom price delhi.
.anshuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2009, 17:46   #379
BHPian

Hey Throttleking, read your review that you are impressed by Magnum-Diesel even though it burns a hole in your pocket with high Emi's. My heart says Optra but mind says Manza. Booked a Manza-Diesel in the first week of November and was promised delivery within 15-20 days. Yesterday the dealer called me saying that deliveries are getting delayed and it may take around 45 days.

So started having second thoughts. Why not Magnum? So visited Pashankar. Current discount is 80K for LT. They also have a 2008 LT which they are offering at 1.5L discount. They are NOT open to doing insurance & registration outside.

Should I go for the 2008 model or bargain for more discount on new ones?

I personally feel that if I get 1.5L off on the new model and they allow me to do insurance & registration outside then I'll go ahead and buy Optra else my mind will have to convince my heart and wait another 45 days for Manza.
Hudson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd November 2009, 21:57   #380
BHPian

Quote:
Hey Throttleking, read your review that you are impressed by Magnum-Diesel even though it burns a hole in your pocket with high Emi's. My heart says Optra but mind says Manza. Booked a Manza-Diesel in the first week of November and was promised delivery within 15-20 days. Yesterday the dealer called me saying that deliveries are getting delayed and it may take around 45 days.

So started having second thoughts. Why not Magnum? So visited Pashankar. Current discount is 80K for LT. They also have a 2008 LT which they are offering at 1.5L discount. They are NOT open to doing insurance & registration outside.

I personally feel that if I get 1.5L off on the new model and they allow me to do insurance & registration outside then I'll go ahead and buy Optra else my mind will have to convince my heart and wait another 45 days for Manza.
Manza and the magnum are so far apart!! the only thing i see common in them is the back seat comfort. magnum any day for the engine and manza er... for a long troubled time at the TATA dealers!
nims is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd November 2009, 15:56   #381
Senior - BHPian

Magnum buddy. Thats one heck of machine. Hope you don't get ACC in 2008, but anyways check with them, if that is the case, crack the deal.

Best diesel eng, best-in-class rear seat comfort,A class higher, all wheel disc, good A.S.S(3y/45k kms) with ABS & airbags under 10L is a robbery.
Ramsagar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd November 2009, 18:47   #382
BHPian

Cool Optra- All The Way !!

Quote:

Buddy, before you get all excited about the 2008 optra, let me tell you what i think.
What is month of manufacture for the 2008 model?
Lets say it is manufactured in the month of Dec. Even then it has been lying in the stockyard for nearly a year. A car thats unused for so long will have its share of problems like rusted front discs,stiff suspension & so on. [SENIOR BHPIANS KINDLY CONFIRM]. The optra is a great vehicle. I would suggest you try for a bigger discount for the 2009 model. As the great Baba Shah Rukh Khan says - HAMESHA APNI DIL KI SUNO
powertrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd November 2009, 22:10   #383
BHPian

Default problem solved

Quote:
Originally Posted by nims View Post
Hi everybody. I bought a second hand optra magnum LT 2.0 with 14k on the odo for 7.2 lakhs. The colour is artic blue and i have installed audio parking system, rear view camera, lcd. The first 1000km was great. But after that while driving the park brake light along with the battery was lighting up intermittently while driving. I have given it to gm to sort of the problem. Has anybody experienced this problem?
the problem got solved. it was due to a niggle in the alternator which the GM people replaced kindly enough. it would have cost 15k to replace but i was under warranty so it was free.
now new problems have crept up like
1)screeching sound when retracting right front window.
2) tight clutch
3)fogging windshield(looks like there is water between the layers of glass
Old 24th November 2009, 16:09   #384
Senior - BHPian

You are lucky in getting replaced under warranty. How was the service at your place. Did it take long time to source the part and install.

BTW which year model your Optra belongs to?
Ramsagar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2009, 16:38   #385
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramsagar View Post
You are lucky in getting replaced under warranty. How was the service at your place. Did it take long time to source the part and install.

BTW which year model your Optra belongs to?
the service here is pretty good actually because my dad knows the dealer here. Still it took about 2 weeks for the parts to come as well as the approval to change the part from head office. Once the part came they swapped the part within a day! My optra is a 08' model.

Last edited by nims : 24th November 2009 at 16:40.
Old 3rd December 2009, 18:45   #386
BHPian

Guys,
My magnum had a fuel pump failure last week and stalled amidst traffic. The service guys says its a problem with the series for 2008 magnums. They are replacing with a modified pump. So please check with your A.S.S guys and get it replaced ASAP before you plan long trips. The service guy said they have replaced 7 optras already.

I ve done 21000 Kms so far and the car rocks!

Last edited by kris905 : 3rd December 2009 at 18:49.
kris905 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2009, 01:32   #387
BHPian

hi..there seem to be a lot of magnum lovers here so i thought why not join you.

i have a 2.5 yr old LS magnum, done 23k km's so far and havent faced any major issue except for a alternator problem.

also one of the rear damper needed replacement at 20k but this was due to my 17"s on the car.
other mods include a endcan , a custom bumper and projector headlamps..
no engine mods as i feel the performance is stupendous as it is.

cheers.
fiorano88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2009, 20:42   #388
BHPian

Default pictures of your car

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiorano88 View Post
other mods include a endcan , a custom bumper and projector headlamps..
no engine mods as i feel the performance is stupendous as it is.
cheers.
where did you source the projector headlamps and what was the price? i need to change my stock ones since they suck. very poor lighting
Old 10th December 2009, 22:43   #389
BHPian

Default Help Pls

I have recently purchased 1.6LS Optra Magnum on 23rd Nov 09 and it is giving me around 9.6KMPL with AC in Pune City driving conditions. Due for its first service in around 10 days from now, have driven close to around 500Kms. Need help as Fog lamps are not available with anyone in Pune, got it checked from Delhi as well but no luck. Company fitted one is costing me close to around 8K, any inputs. Also I have observed fogging off the rear mirror when the AC is on during night and even after I switch on the deffoger it takes about 4-5 mins for the fogging to become clear but then again it appears after about 4-5 mins deffoger remaining on. Why is this happening?

I love the power and holding myself back to push it on highways and just getting it used to city traffic and getting the overall feel before I start pushing it to the max on highways. Got Nitrogen air filled in all the 5 tyres for about Rs 150 and the Petrol Pump Owner claimed that I need to get the air filled/checked only after 3 months and it would cost Rs 5 per tyre. Hope this was a wise decision. I feel getting 9.6 in city driving conditions with AC is extremely good....would reqest inputs as I am still learning
gmalik30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2009, 14:24   #390
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmalik30 View Post
I have recently purchased 1.6LS Optra Magnum on 23rd Nov 09 and it is giving me around 9.6KMPL with AC in Pune City driving conditions.
Gaurav, if you don't mind I wanted to know what was the on road price (and any offers) that you got for this?

For all, the other main query I have is re ABS... It looks like I will not be able to buy either of the ABS versions (diesel or petrol)... So are the stock tyres and all round discs sufficient or is ABS a must?

I realise this is a little , so if you could please direct your answers on my thread in the 'What Car?' section please at this link.

Thanks!
mrwalker is offline   Reply With Quote