Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Old 12th August 2011, 15:03   #451
BHPian

Default Re: Chevrolet Optra Magnum TCDi ... My new love ..!!

If buying a car which has expensive parts such as an Optra, it is always worthwhile to get an extended warranty rather than a maintenace package. In a maintenance package, you are paying upfront for services and consumables so I dont really see the advantage of it unless there is a huge saving. I have seen quite a few Optras go in for expensive repairs after 50-60k on the odometer.
SPARKled is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2011, 15:35   #452
MAS
Senior - BHPian

Where was this thread for so long? How come i did not get to see it?

After reading the positives of the car in many other threads, i have already got the quote from Sundaram Motors, Chennai. I was planning to buy a 2.0 LT. But after reading this thread, i have my doubts now.

So many problems are being reported by real-life users. I have a 120 K kms run Fusion TDCi and is my daily drive. No problems as such (touch wood) except for for a shredded drive belt (65 K kms) and a gear change rubber socket which got cut (105 K kms). Service Intervals for Ford is 10 K kms, but for Chevy it seems it is in every 5 K kms plus unavailability of parts leading to further delays. I would rather be safe if i stick to Ford/Toyota/Hyundai instead of taking the plunge for the Chevy.
MAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2011, 15:43   #453
BHPian

Haven't heard of any major failures on the Optra.

There were Fuel Pump failures reported on the Optra's from the 2008 lot.

Basically MAS, it depends on your style of driving, the way you take care of them and looking at your history (kms logged on your vehicles) things look good.

I know of an Optra owner of 90K Kms on his beast without a single issue being reported.

Chevy maintenance is also not on the higher side, a typical 5K service with engine oil change, air filter and oil filter change would cost you in the vicinity of 3K odd.

The price at which Optra is being offered at this point in time is sheer VFM.

Happy Motoring !!
Torquedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2011, 18:46   #454
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by optimist View Post
Maybe this is a superfluous question but let me ask anyway.

Does anyone have an idea of the usable life of the engine versus Toyota/Ford/Fiat etc and how does it compare maintenance wise when engine repair comes?

The recommendation of fuel is premium according to the sticker. What have you all been using in the Magnum and which is best according to you?

Thank you
The discussion following this link may be of use to you.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post2359102 (Driven! Vento, Optra, Linea, SX4, Manza. EDIT: Fluidic Verna (pg4), New Fiesta (Pg5))

A member's uncle's Optra has done 130k and has needed only regular service!
Poitive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2011, 16:28   #455
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAS View Post

After reading the positives of the car in many other threads, i have already got the quote from Sundaram Motors, Chennai. I was planning to buy a 2.0 LT. But after reading this thread, i have my doubts now.

So many problems are being reported by real-life users.

I would rather be safe if i stick to Ford/Toyota/Hyundai instead of taking the plunge for the Chevy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torquedo View Post
Haven't heard of any major failures on the Optra.

There were Fuel Pump failures reported on the Optra's from the 2008 lot.

I know of an Optra owner of 90K Kms on his beast without a single issue being reported.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poitive View Post
The discussion following this link may be of use to you.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post2359102 (Driven! Vento, Optra, Linea, SX4, Manza. EDIT: Fluidic Verna (pg4), New Fiesta (Pg5))

A member's uncle's Optra has done 130k and has needed only regular service!
With the 2 other Optra defenders already here, I need to put my 2 cents in!
MAS, please do not treat other's experiences as your own. Every car has issues. Some post it, some don't. As Torq has said, everybody's driving style matters, and so does their luck.

It would be a shame to let go of such a fine car based on such reports. There are many more cars which have been running for thousands of kilometres without issues.

For your benefit, the last time I had been to the GM Service Station, I asked them about the issues faced by the Optra. They told me that there were hardly any issues. Yes, there were a few major issues, including one of a broken fuel sump, one with a major suspension issue and one with the AC ice kit problem (the last one was minor). But he also showed me a few cases where the cars were running about 150k+ kms and had no issues at all - only regular servicing.

You would find such issues in almost every car. My dad got a Fiesta Classic 4-5 days back. While we were getting accessories fitted, a new Honda City had come in for accessory fitments as well. While doing the filming, they realized that there was some fluid leaking. It turned out to be an issue with the brake fluid reservoir! Brand new car, hardly a few hours old - but you can't blame Honda for 1 issue - at the same time, the owner raised hell and called Honda names!
My father's friend's Corolla caught fore near the steering / console and the plastic melted away - all this due to some electrical fault - but we still swear by Toyota.

So ensure that whichever car you buy, do your homework, check the car thoroughly during the PDI, check how fresh the car is and then buy it. Beyond that, it's luck!

As for the costs and After Sales Service, check my 5000km service experience here :
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post2486662
keyur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2011, 16:48   #456
MAS
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by keyur View Post
With the 2 other Optra defenders already here...

...As for the costs and After Sales Service, check my 5000km service experience here :
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post2486662
Thanks Keyur for your Inputs. My post was long time back and after that i did go in for the test drive twice, test drove a number of cars in the price range. The car is good and for the price it was being offered, it is VFM.

But after, weighing all the pros and cons, doing a lot of research, a number of sleepless nights, i have decided to go in for the NFF as it ticked the most boxes.

I read your 2nd service post and was impressed with the love you have for your car. I am sure the car deserves such a worthy owner and viceversa.

Note from Team BHP Support-Team: Please refrain from quoting long/entire posts. It may inconvenience small-screen and mobile users. Thanks!

Last edited by suhaas307 : 27th January 2012 at 01:20.
MAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2011, 17:31   #457
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAS View Post
i have decided to go in for the NFF

I read your 2nd service post and was impressed with the love you have for your car. I am sure the car deserves such a worthy owner and viceversa.
Congrats and All the best with your NFF!
And thanks for the kind words!
keyur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2011, 22:23   #458
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by keyur View Post
With the 2 other Optra defenders already here, I need to put my 2 cents in!
They told me that there were hardly any issues. Yes, there were a few major issues, including one of a broken fuel sump, one with a major suspension issue and one with the AC ice kit problem (the last one was minor). But he also showed me a few cases where the cars were running about 150k+ kms and had no issues at all - only regular servicing.
If you asked me about it instead of the chevy dealer I could give you a long list of problems I've faced on a 2008 magnum. When I read on Team BHP about the fuel pump and I told the dealer about the car stalling they gave me a blank stare and said we can't do a thing unless a problem shows on the ECM. and then a couple of months out of warranty the fuel pump became toast. And Chevy didn't call in cars to change a defective pump. I've had endless aircon problems all this while. And at one service the dealer tried to charge me for some Air Con rectification even though the car was under warranty. They told me that in their records the car was sold off on 31 st march even though I could show them an invoice that says Date of Sale 12 May
I've had the rear brake calipers get jammed and on the NH4 a day after I got the car serviced and specificly told the dealer that the brakes were feeling strange. So I had to get the calipers done at pune and in just 4k kms it happened again. This time the rear discs had to be changed too. So an even bigger bill. What was worse than this is as I drove back 35 kms from the workshop and reached my destination I thought let me touch the rear disc as I did a month earlier on the mumbai pune expressway. And it was the same experience. I burnt my finger and got a blister, it was that hot. So a repeat job for this as well as the suspension noise which persisted inspite of the dealer having change both front struts and some links. After sending off an email all this was rectified by the dealer. But inspite of all this a few weeks later LH rear caliper jammed again.
In addition to all this I have a air con problem which needs to be solved still.
Do you think that maybe these faults were parlty the dealers. I would say not since on all ocassions they were different dealers involved. Would you say it was a bad Magnum? I have no idea. Would I recommend a chevy to another person? I think not.
Maybe I should have put this up on team bhp a couple of years ago. But I know for sure that Chevy lost me as a potential SUV buyer. I'll steer away.
Cheers
deutscheafrikar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2011, 17:12   #459
BHPian

I recently purchased the Magnum Diesel LS ( Pearl Diamond Colour) on 30th Nov'11 from Regent Automobiles , Delhi. Got a very good deal on it as well, INR 8.7 Lacs OTR including the extra 10k for the colour. They even threw in the teddy, floor mats, key ring and mud flaps.

Was not interested in other accessories as i wanted toe get others done by myself outside. The OE audio system is really good specially with the 4 in door speakers and 4 tweeters. Vkool , Hella Wind Tone and 130/100 lights were put for an additional INR 9200.

Coming to the points, on checking the VIN i was shockedto see that the vehicle was manufactured in Feb'11 (BB) , however quite a few of the vehicle electricals have manufacturing date mentioned as Oct'11 - Horn, Battery & Lights are few which i have checked. Even the tyre is dated Oct'11. So in this context, how accurate is the VIN identification ? And the second more important question is - if i have been taken for a ride ?

Please help and given your replies on whether i should keep the vehicle or ask for replacement ? And how to go about getting it.
Hondaism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2012, 00:40   #460
BHPian

Default 55000 KM Update !!!

Needed a small advice:
Car has nearly due for its 55K service. Was planning to get the timing belt replaced in this service instead of waiting for 60K. What are the other components that would need replacement with the timing belt?? Good move??

Car is running on Bridgestone Turanza ER60 - a really welcome change. Dynamics of the car have seem to changed drastically. Would totally recommend it for a good balance between ride comfort and grip. On both aspects the tyres have performed above my expectations or may be the stock tyres were really crappy

Servicing charges have hovered around 2 or 3k at each interval. FE has been a consistent 13+. Nothing new to report as such.

Drove the updated magnum (BSIV I guess) recently. Turbo kick has definitely reduced and the engine feels really tamed instead of the sudden rush that the BSIII engine gives. Somehow I could find a huge difference in the steering feedback between the 2 cars. Seems the hydraulic system between the two has been changed since the newer one did not provide me enough feedback and gave a very disconnected feeling. Don't know if that was an issue with that particular car though everything else was the same.
beanstalk_230 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2012, 13:42   #461
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by beanstalk_230

Car is running on Bridgestone Turanza ER60 - a really welcome change. Dynamics of the car have seem to changed drastically. Would totally recommend it for a good balance between ride comfort and grip. On both aspects the tyres have performed above my expectations or may be the stock tyres were really crappy
My magnum is also due for tyre change what size did you put? How did it cost you?
Rodeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th January 2012, 00:37   #462
BHPian

Stock size - Was around 4800 for each.
beanstalk_230 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th February 2012, 18:55   #463
BHPian

@beanstalk_230 and other contributors to this thread:
Thanks a lot for this thread. It is full of useful information. It was one of the more influential threads in confirming what a wonderful car this is. As some would know, I eventually went for it some 6 months back (had started the ownership thread right then). About 13k down the line, one loves it even more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by beanstalk_230 View Post
Sorry for not running through the thread again to check on the stock tyres. What were the stock tyres? Now they are coming on Apollo Acceleres, which are pretty decent. They are on the softer side however and do well with a slight increase in tyre pressure. Especially the front.

Quote:
Drove the updated magnum (BSIV I guess) recently. Turbo kick has definitely reduced and the engine feels really tamed instead of the sudden rush that the BSIII engine gives. Somehow I could find a huge difference in the steering feedback between the 2 cars. Seems the hydraulic system between the two has been changed since the newer one did not provide me enough feedback and gave a very disconnected feeling. Don't know if that was an issue with that particular car though everything else was the same.
The change in turbo kick/spiked power delivery, was rather curious. I had had a few TD's on the same car before purchase. It felt rather different in the third TD, which I reported here (Choosing a Spacious Diesel Sedan upto 12L). It was a BS4 variant. If one wants the rush, one can still feel it. More details in posted here (Finally! “Driven!” & “Chosen a Diesel Sedan” – The VVS Magnum (Chevrolet Optra)).

The change in the steering feel is strange again. Have found this car to be excessively sensitive to tyre pressure. Do you think it could be, that the tyre pressure was inadequate? I find this car to be behaving quite differently with a change in pressure - both handling in general and also the steering feel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodeo View Post
My magnum is also due for tyre change what size did you put? How did it cost you?
@Rodeo, thanks for all your inputs (especially in the Driven! thread), which helped me confirm the decision to go ahead with the Optra. As mentioned above, have found this car to be excessively sensitive to even a 1-2psi change in pressure. Strange, but true. Had also read about others pointing about a change in size being taken up with caution. So, if you must change the size, do try to do so from a place which allows you to test if, even if you are being charged higher. In the long run, it may be very much worthwhile, than being stuck with dynamics which you find bothersome.
Poitive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th February 2012, 21:59   #464
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poitive

@Rodeo, thanks for all your inputs (especially in the Driven! thread), which helped me confirm the decision to go ahead with the Optra. As mentioned above, have found this car to be excessively sensitive to even a 1-2psi change in pressure. Strange, but true. Had also read about others pointing about a change in size being taken up with caution. So, if you must change the size, do try to do so from a place which allows you to test if, even if you are being charged higher. In the long run, it may be very much worthwhile, than being stuck with dynamics which you find bothersome.
I got stock size yoko c drive. Not driven much but quite happy to change from worn out tyres.
Rodeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2012, 01:09   #465
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dockap View Post
nitrogen cost should be rs 20 per tyre for initial filling and rs 5 per tyre for top up
9.6 in the city is ok.i get between 9 to 10 in the city and between 12 to 14 on the highway depending on the condition of the road and the traffic and the driving style

Have you felt any difference in driving comfort as nitrogen does not expand and tyre pressure remains under check. I mean is it noticable? Serioulsy thinking of fillin mine with Nitrogen as well.
deepeshh is offline   Reply With Quote