Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Old 12th June 2012, 16:03   #481
BHPian

Default Re: Chevrolet Optra Magnum TCDi ... My new love ..!!

I had this exact prolem a few months ago. The cost was around Rs. 4000 all inclusive.

Didn't know its a common problem with Optras.
benzinblut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2012, 16:29   #482
BHPian

According to the A/C mechanic at Kropex, this is a common problem with Optra. Just got back the car, total damages Rs 3800. Cooling is fine now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by benzinblut View Post
I had this exact prolem a few months ago. The cost was around Rs. 4000 all inclusive.

Didn't know its a common problem with Optras.
manojgautham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th June 2012, 00:08   #483
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manojgautham View Post
According to the A/C mechanic at Kropex, this is a common problem with Optra. Just got back the car, total damages Rs 3800. Cooling is fine now.

Just gave my 2004 Optra 1.8 LS to the dealer for a running repair. How can you identify if there is really a suspension problem for the Optra? I do not feel anything in the riding comfort. But now at 68K kms the dealer says suspension is due for overhaul. What would be the approximate cost of it? Further Optra's are said to have independent suspension for each wheel and how does the job differ from normal suspensions.

A few other problems I am facing. Just gave the car yesterday to the dealer to fix this.

1. Oil leak around the engine block (probably broken gasket). How can I make sure they do not take me for a ride? Any help/advice is appreciated.

2. Bad pungent smell coming into the car after the A/C runs for about 30-45 minutes. Could be the leaked oil getting heated and passing through the vents or something. Any idea on what else it could be ?

3. Idea of using K & N filter in Optra ? Would it really make a difference in mileage or performance?
sajanpt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th June 2012, 11:49   #484
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajanpt View Post
Just gave my 2004 Optra 1.8 LS to the dealer for a running repair. How can you identify if there is really a suspension problem for the Optra? I do not feel anything in the riding comfort. But now at 68K kms the dealer says suspension is due for overhaul. What would be the approximate cost of it? Further Optra's are said to have independent suspension for each wheel and how does the job differ from normal suspensions.

A few other problems I am facing. Just gave the car yesterday to the dealer to fix this.

1. Oil leak around the engine block (probably broken gasket). How can I make sure they do not take me for a ride? Any help/advice is appreciated.

2. Bad pungent smell coming into the car after the A/C runs for about 30-45 minutes. Could be the leaked oil getting heated and passing through the vents or something. Any idea on what else it could be ?

3. Idea of using K & N filter in Optra ? Would it really make a difference in mileage or performance?
You don't need to do anything on the suspension if there is no problem.

For the bad smell get the A/C cleaned deoderised. Any car saloon like 3m etc should be able to do this. The reason most of the time is fungi formation.

On using K&N you might not see a significant growth in mileage, however you are sure to get more power.
manojgautham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th April 2013, 01:24   #485
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poitive View Post
@beanstalk_230 and other contributors to this thread:
Thanks a lot for this thread. It is full of useful information. It was one of the more influential threads in confirming what a wonderful car this is.

The change in turbo kick/spiked power delivery, was rather curious. I had had a few TD's on the same car before purchase. It felt rather different in the third TD, which I reported here (Choosing a Spacious Diesel Sedan upto 12L). It was a BS4 variant. If one wants the rush, one can still feel it. More details in posted here (Finally! “Driven!” & “Chosen a Diesel Sedan” – The VVS Magnum (Chevrolet Optra)).

The change in the steering feel is strange again. Have found this car to be excessively sensitive to tyre pressure. Do you think it could be, that the tyre pressure was inadequate? I find this car to be behaving quite differently with a change in pressure - both handling in general and also the steering feel.
Cheers buddy !!! I'm glad this thread helped you out. About the BSIII & BSIV engine response - Definitely there was a noticeable difference.

Steering response - I did not take the tyres & tyre pressure into consideration so that have might have contributed to the difference I found.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenster View Post
I wanted to know what issues can I expect in a 4-6years old Optra Diesel? Is it going to be hogh on maintenance? How much would reworking parts like Suspension, timing belt etc cost?
Quote:
Originally Posted by manojgautham View Post
My car's A/C is not cooling anymore. Went to a A/C mechanic, he suggested this is a problem with the Compressor pressure valve and this is a common problem with Optras. He has told me the cost of the valve is Rs 4200 + 2000 for labour & gas.
Has anyone here faced a similar problem earlier?
Buddy service costs are average. Have done 72k till date.

Normal services ~ 3k.
AC Repair once around 40k ~ 5k
Suspension / Shocker replacement / repair till date ~ 30k
60k service ~ 15k T. Belt + other charges. Cannot recall the break up

Right now AC cooling has gone down again. Another 5k I guess.

Lights inadequate & OEM Tyres requires immediate replacement. Turanza's have kept me very satisfied on all aspects like control & braking. Replaced around 40 k & I think I might be able to squeeze another 10k out of them.

Any pointers on AC Cooling reduction?? Gas top up?? Local mechanic quoted 1700 with gas top up and cleaning without opening the dashboard. Auth. will charge not less than 5-6k but will remove the dashboard & service it.
beanstalk_230 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th April 2013, 14:27   #486
BHPian

My car has done 64k and not had much issues. Service cost is less than my Hyundai i20 diesel. Last service I had to get my rear shockers changed and total cost with service cost me 14k. T.Belt is due for change at 60k but still not have got that done.

Question: How important is to get TBelt change on time or can it be pushed for later?

I am also suspecting my front shockers needs to be changed soon and dont want all cost to come together. My car has not given me any major issues till now but this regular changes are coming now. In June it will 6 yrs old.

I have also noticed from last 3 services I am asked to get brake overhaul done which cost around 500-600/-. Not sure if its required every 5000k.

Last edited by Rodeo : 24th April 2013 at 14:29.
Rodeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2013, 17:26   #487
BHPian

Ppl, ran my optra into some rocks and punctured the AC radiator/condensor. Its the size of a 2rs coin. I took it to kropex, singasandra. They said that i'd have to pay 21k for the replacement! So have decided to have it repaired. Can anyone point out a ac condensor repair guy preferably south bangalore who you've been to?
nijelj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2013, 17:33   #488
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by nijelj View Post
Ppl, ran my optra into some rocks and punctured the AC radiator/condensor.=============Can anyone point out a ac condensor repair guy preferably south bangalore who you've been to?
How old is the car? If its covered under insurance, why don't use it to buy a new condenser. Repairing is not recommended, since it holds high pressure gas and will give away sooner or later. For peace of mind sake get a new one.
Jaggu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2013, 18:10   #489
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post

How old is the car? If its covered under insurance, why don't use it to buy a new condenser. Repairing is not recommended, since it holds high pressure gas and will give away sooner or later. For peace of mind sake get a new one.
Insurance is third party :-( and just paid 45k for my Nano's accident repair. So looking for a stop gap until some cash frees up.
Old 30th May 2013, 17:24   #490
BHPian

Quote:
Update : I called Aditya A/C services, koramangala. Over phone he told me that he'd change the condensor for 6.5K. But when I went there, he said since its a diesel optra, the charge will be 12K ! I'm going to post this in the technical section for any comments.I am not sure why the condensor will be different between the Diesel and Petrol Optra? Any takes on this?
Old 30th May 2013, 22:40   #491
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by nijelj View Post
Update : I called Aditya A/C services, koramangala. Over phone he told me that he'd change the condensor for 6.5K.
========
Any takes on this?
If the system is different prices may vary. Call up Chevy workshop and speak to spare parts section. They should be able to give you the info over phone.
Jaggu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2013, 15:03   #492
BHPian

Quote:

Got a new one fitted for 12K at aditya a/c.work was over in 3hrs.
Old 23rd August 2013, 13:19   #493
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by beanstalk_230 View Post

AC Repair once around 40k ~ 5k
Right now AC cooling has gone down again. Another 5k I guess.
Lights inadequate
Any pointers on AC Cooling reduction?? Gas top up?? Local mechanic quoted 1700 with gas top up and cleaning without opening the dashboard. Auth. will charge not less than 5-6k but will remove the dashboard & service it.
Hi,
A friend has an Optra Magnum Diesel which has the same issue with the AC. The effect has come down considerably and the back seat passengers are roasted alive. The AC seems to have a mind of its own. It is bad in the city but and totally underperforms the moment we hit the highway.
The Chevy guys don't have a clue and recommend replacement of every related part, compressor and all.

1. How did you solve your AC problem ?
2. What did you do about the dismal headlights ?
3. Any suggestions to solve the extremely low seating at the rear ?

Hoping to get your valuable suggestions

The car drives like a dream otherwise and the owner is loath to dispose it off.
fiestarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th August 2013, 00:32   #494
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiestarry View Post
Hi,
A friend has an Optra Magnum Diesel which has the same issue with the AC. The effect has come down considerably and the back seat passengers are roasted alive. The AC seems to have a mind of its own. It is bad in the city but and totally underperforms the moment we hit the highway.
The Chevy guys don't have a clue and recommend replacement of every related part, compressor and all.

1. Replacing the compressor & cleaning the condensor was the only solution to the above problem. Mine had the exactly same issue. Soon all the cooling will wear off and that is the final solution.

2. Nothing done yet. Really have no idea what to do.

3. No issues as such there.
beanstalk_230 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th August 2013, 11:23   #495
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiestarry View Post
Hi,

There might be no need to change the compressor. There is a compressor pressure valve that needs to be changed. I had the same problem with A/C earlier. After changing the pressure valve at Kropex the cooling is fine. I spent about 3800 for the valve fitting along with labour and gas.
manojgautham is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote