Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Old 8th March 2008, 06:11   #136
BHPian

Thank you Zak, I do drive spiritedly with the aircon on all times and you know i rarely redline.I think probably the car needs to be run in more to open up. However i changed to synthetic engine oil at 7k kms.More over the box is set at stage1 and the car does not spew black smoke!. Guys what are your avereages on the vernas you have?Anyways i love my beast and its raw power, and iam willing to accept lower FE.
wildcard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th March 2008, 22:52   #137
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildcard View Post
Thank you Zak, I do drive spiritedly with the aircon on all times and you know i rarely redline.I think probably the car needs to be run in more to open up. However i changed to synthetic engine oil at 7k kms.More over the box is set at stage1 and the car does not spew black smoke!. Guys what are your avereages on the vernas you have?Anyways i love my beast and its raw power, and iam willing to accept lower FE.
my dad and bro usually make 16kmpl on our stock verna.when I drive it drops to 14kmpl(Driving style??Cochin -TVM in 2 hours with AC and 3 passengers)
I'm running semi sythetic(castrol magnatec)
rippergeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th March 2008, 23:33   #138
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rippergeo View Post
my dad and bro usually make 16kmpl on our stock verna.when I drive it drops to 14kmpl(Driving style??Cochin -TVM in 2 hours with AC and 3 passengers)
I'm running semi sythetic(castrol magnatec)

cochin to tvm in 2 hours ? is there some new express way or wat?
i remember taking atleast 3.5 hours ( 220kms ) a lot of times during 2004-05
narayan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2008, 09:27   #139
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayan View Post
cochin to tvm in 2 hours ? is there some new express way or wat?
i remember taking atleast 3.5 hours ( ") a lot of times during 2004-05
Reminds me of one former CM who used to clock similar timings in the same route. Its not very different from the Deccan Air flight , even though I think its not possible to average 110 kmph in NH 47 with normal traffic any time of the day. He might have done that on a "bandh" day which happens almost once a week in Kerala.

Last edited by appuchan : 12th March 2008 at 09:30.
appuchan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2008, 09:59   #140
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by appuchan View Post
Reminds me of one former CM who used to clock similar timings in the same route. Its not very different from the Deccan Air flight , even though I think its not possible to average 110 kmph in NH 47 with normal traffic any time of the day. He might have done that on a "bandh" day which happens almost once a week in Kerala.

Ya you will be able to do 110+ in NH47 but to maintain that speed is really difficult. At some stretches, you will be pulled down to snail-pace.
Anyways, thats one hell of a timing ripper.
wischvuanaudh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2008, 12:15   #141

started on sunday morning at 5.00AM(live near where the 4 lane starts at aroor), reached TVM at 7.00AM(the place where the TVM byepass starts)
I thought that was reasonable. I believe i was not rash, but most of you might disagree.
as you can see, mileage did suffer.this sort of times dont happen very often, its only when he traffic is exceptionally light. usually it takes me 3-3.5 hours. and the mileage even with those timings, drops when i drive to 15kmpl. I'm told that I downshift too much
but the verna is such a great car to rev, i cant help it!

the suspension could be better, but the engine and brakes more than make up for it.

@hellstar-I have no idea how you squeeze 24kmpl out of a pete'd verna. how much mileage were you getting before the tuning box?

I'm not touching the engine till the suspension, tyres and brakes are upgraded(read 3yrs later)

Last edited by rippergeo : 12th March 2008 at 12:22.
Old 12th March 2008, 12:21   #142
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
started on sunday morning at 5.00AM, reached TVM at 7.00AM(the place where the byepass starts)
I thought that was reasonable. I believe i was not rash, but most of you might disagree. as you can see, mileage did suffer.
No offense. But, averaging 110kmph on Indian highways is " impossible" and that too for 2 continuous hours. Even if its a road like Pune-Mumbai expressway with barricades and no traffic, still maintaining those speeds are really not possible. I think 80-85km average is the maximum you can do on Indian highways, correct me if i am wrong.
mobike008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2008, 12:31   #143

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
No offense. But, averaging 110kmph on Indian highways is " impossible" and that too for 2 continuous hours. Even if its a road like Pune-Mumbai expressway with barricades and no traffic, still maintaining those speeds are really not possible. I think 80-85km average is the maximum you can do on Indian highways, correct me if i am wrong.
the reason, i did it in such a time was because i made an error in my calculations,i thought i had started from cochin at 4.00 AM and kept looking at the clock and thinking i had'nt covered enough distance so i kept pushing and pushing.at the end of the trip, my dad smiled and said i started at 5.00 not at 4.00.

its not easy, but its not impossible.
speeds would dip to 80kmph on occasion, but most of the time the speedo was touching 130, was'nt confident above that.

if you mean holding speeds of 110 continously...thats impossible,i agree,
but with the verna, if you lose speed behind a slower vehicle, it takes only a few seconds to compensate and reach 130-140 again.

i must repeat, i was not trying to set a record.
i was just trying to get to TVM in 3hrs, which is what i usually do. its just that i miscalculated my starting time by 1hour, and therefore pushed very hard.

Last edited by rippergeo : 12th March 2008 at 12:33.
Old 12th March 2008, 12:38   #144
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
if you mean holding speeds of 110 continously...thats impossible,i agree,
but with the verna, if you lose speed behind a slower vehicle, it takes only a few seconds to compensate and reach 130-140 again.

i must repeat, i was not trying to set a record.
i was just trying to get to TVM in 3hrs, which is what i usually do. its just that i miscalculated my starting time by 1hour, and therefore pushed very hard.
I was meaning the same. If you covered 220km in 2 hours. You must have covered 110km in 1 hour and remaining 110 km in second hour. Which means your average speed was 110kmph and to reach an average speed of 110kmph you need to make sure the needle hovers either at 110kmph or above to compensate for lags. So it means, for entire 2 hours you never slowed down below 110kmph. Just pointing out a logic.

I am myself a fast driver and i did the same average once but in a different way. I covered 55km in 30 mins when i went from Hyderabad to Basar last year, which translates to same of 110kmph. But, i cannot repeat that feat in my second half hour. That's the reason for my logic.
mobike008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2008, 12:48   #145

Quote:
I was meaning the same. If you covered 220km in 2 hours. You must have covered 110km in 1 hour and remaining 110 km in second hour.
the distance i covered was from palluruthy to TVM byepass. which is 200km. which makes my average 100kmph. its doable in a CRDI verna, when the traffic is light. the roads are nice. and on most straights the car will easily do 140kmph, just dont ask me to panic brake.

120-130 in a verna with ABS is ok, but there are sedans that feel way more safer at those speeds.

the advantage of the verna is that, it doesnt take very long to get back up to 130 from 90 or 80kmph.

and anyway, like I said, sunday morning at 500 AM in kerala is as close to heaven as you can get.

Last edited by rippergeo : 12th March 2008 at 12:50.
Old 12th March 2008, 13:48   #146
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
started on sunday morning at 5.00AM(live near where the 4 lane starts at aroor), reached TVM at 7.00AM(the place where the TVM byepass starts)
I thought that was reasonable. I believe i was not rash, but most of you might disagree.
as you can see, mileage did suffer.this sort of times dont happen very often, its only when he traffic is exceptionally light. usually it takes me 3-3.5 hours. and the mileage even with those timings, drops when i drive to 15kmpl.

@hellstar-I have no idea how you squeeze 24kmpl out of a pete'd verna. how much mileage were you getting before the tuning box?

Your 2 hrs drive to TVM i quite feasily i have personally done that in 2 hrs 30 mins in peak traffic in a police vehicle ( my dad's of course !)

About the mileage part , ie belive the engine is very very sensitive to the driving style and when my dads drive he redlines more than i do before shfting , and this brings down my mileage to about 16/18 kmpl , most of the time i shift before the 2k RPM and accelaration is very gradual - intentionally. I do touch very high speeds ( in excessof 150 KMPH ) but only on dead starught streches with a lot of visibility and even then its a gradual increase to that speed. The only times i really push my baby around are during the TeamBHP drives .

Quote:
I'm told that I downshift too much
but the verna is such a great car to rev, i cant help it!
That should explain you mileage figures
hellstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2008, 13:55   #147
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
anyway, like I said, sunday morning at 500 AM in kerala is as close to heaven as you can get.
comptely agree on that , and sundays are all round lesser traffic when compared to other days , unlike in blore where week ends are worser
Old 12th March 2008, 13:59   #148
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

I dis agree, he can attain an average speed of 100 KMPH over two hours and he could even stop in between but then , he needs to attain higher than 100 speeds maybe in excess of 130/150 for majority of the remaining trip....
Old 12th March 2008, 14:22   #149
Senior - BHPian

Anywaays buddie your verna rocks.I have improved my driving habits and now i get arround 17-18 kmpl average.Now i believe i could pull out a couple of km more from a litre.Wait and watch.
ram
ram_hyundai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2008, 14:44   #150
Senior - BHPian

220kms in 2 hours is awesome. Well i thought to get such figures you would need a convoy to guide you but you did it alone!
maddy42 is offline   Reply With Quote