Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Old 11th June 2008, 11:39   #181
BHPian

Oh Lord! That's expensive. And we talk about Verna's build quality better than Fiesta etc? How expensive is Fiesta clutch?

My Santro 999cc at 1 Lakh KM doesn't show signs of wearing out *touchwood*... its a little hard, but then its the age!

Honestly, people have problems with Verna, right? I feel the forum is actually on the lines of performance enthusiasts and not like typical folks like me, who want a reliable car to take them from pointA to pointB

Not to mention, after TDing Verna, I love the car... the space... The fiesta seems like a much better city car...

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellstar View Post
hey pal do get ur clutch checked , i understand that the clutch life in Verna is not that great, actually i saw a car at the A.S.S with its clutch burnt out at 55K KMS.

The cost of replacing the cluch plates is pretty high at approx Rs 13000/- inclusive of taxes and labour.
barcode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2008, 12:27   #182
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by barcode View Post
Oh Lord! That's expensive. And we talk about Verna's build quality better than Fiesta etc? How expensive is Fiesta clutch?

My Santro 999cc at 1 Lakh KM doesn't show signs of wearing out *touchwood*... its a little hard, but then its the age!

Honestly, people have problems with Verna, right? I feel the forum is actually on the lines of performance enthusiasts and not like typical folks like me, who want a reliable car to take them from pointA to pointB

Not to mention, after TDing Verna, I love the car... the space... The fiesta seems like a much better city car...
I for one am yet to run through my clutch pates but i do expect them to wear of faster than a "normal users" clutch plates as i use the car pretty hard and remeber that the kind of power that you are dealing with here is about 130 BHP afte the petes upgrade which the clutch was not designed to take.

And FYI there was also a TUSCAN, a spanking new on was only two months old but the clutch was fully worn out ! So clutch life depends heavily on the way its used , if you have a heavy foot on the and drive around with a foot on the ctuch at all times then the life will be drasticaly reduced.

I have never had relaibility problems with verna i commute overnight to my home town with my wife in my verna and to chennai quite frequently and it take a lot of trust and belief on my side to take the on such trips. The car has never le me down . For a "normal user" the issue i have raised would not even have cropped up or woudl have passed by unless the person was actually listening to it.So the point about reliability is about you knowing the condition of yoru car well enough...

Well with Hyundai verna they would take about six hours and Rs 13000/- to put in a new clutch ( including labour and taxes) where as with a ford fiesta the best estimate they could give me was 36 Hrs and Rs 14500/- . ( including labour but exluding taxes)
hellstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2008, 18:48   #183
BHPian

@ Hellstar-Paid a visit to Yeshwanthpur and spoke to Sudhir, both us along with Shivakumar(senior techinician/mechanic) took it to the ring road and explained the problem. They suggested that i come next week, when they will get a new EGR bulletin. EGR is largely suspected to be the culprit, thou there is no excess smoke.

@barcode-Most of the people who have bought Verna are enthusiasts and buy it after the first drive. The engine respnse is bowls over such people. Such people like yours truly are normall very finicky about their cars. Every sound, feel etc go through extreme scruiny every time the car is used. The verna is a very reliable car and most normal users would not notice half these issues. I'am learnin the art of not listening to the car noises and feel when i travel with my friends and dad (Read that as NHC,M800, Baleno etc)
lediablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2008, 22:14   #184
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lediablo View Post
@ Hellstar-Paid a visit to Yeshwanthpur and spoke to Sudhir, both us along with Shivakumar(senior techinician/mechanic) took it to the ring road and explained the problem. They suggested that i come next week, when they will get a new EGR bulletin. EGR is largely suspected to be the culprit, thou there is no excess smoke.
@ lediablo - i hope you had a good and fruitful visit to the Hyundai workshop , I personally feel that maintaining a good rappo with people such as Sudhir helps when it comes to geting the right things done to your car. The engineer from Hyundai sits in this office and hence this workshop gets the first updates on any such circulars and mails from HMIL before being trickled down to all other centres.

And yes do get your EGR checked if they found it suspect.
Old 14th June 2008, 23:02   #185
BHPian

Default smells like gas!!

hello buddies. I have Verna Sx which has done 14k in the odo, now recently i noticed that the exhaust smells similar to a LPG gas smell. I noticed this when i was standing out and my brother was driving the car into the garage. Is this normal ?
Btw, they didnt stick the SX sticker when i bought it. Though i asked them when i bought a yr back, those guys never knew such a sticker exist and told me it doesnt come with sticker in the rear. It looks cool and seems i wont get it as they keep postponing when i ask them about it.
drsvijay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th June 2008, 19:35   #186
Senior - BHPian

very recently i also noticed it when the security at my office asked me whether i run the car on CNG. i dont thi k this is a problem , i checked with hyundai A.S.S. also but no issues.

About the sticker part these showroom guys are leadin you by your nose do call up hyundai centralised csuitomer care number and they will the resolve the issue for you . Badging is yoru personal choice , if it is the way you like it follow it up or else drop it my friend.
Old 16th June 2008, 03:08   #187
BHPian

thanks my friend. I just felt that this gas smell comes only recently. As far as its nothing to be worried about, im ok with it. Will look into the sticker issue with A.S.S.

Last edited by drsvijay : 16th June 2008 at 03:09.
drsvijay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2008, 16:22   #188
BHPian

Well clutch life depends on your driving style, my indigo in 90 k never changed a clutch, the problem is these driver who keep their feet on the clutch and drive, i have shouted many times at my driver, but wen iam not with them god knows wat they do.
jeetu4444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2008, 10:48   #189
BHPian

my first minor crash
last friday my front driver side tyre got blown up!! ..lost control of the vehicle...went over a median!!!! luckily i didnt topple over ..only right side front is damaged..parts to be replaced are.
1. right front under arm. -2500 + tax +labour.
2. steering tierod.- 800 ""
3. front right srtuct.- 4000 ""
4. knuckle -right - not avialable- will be sent from chennai.- cost no idea.
5. bearing- cost no idea .

then thanks to bumper being flexibe.. the painting work will be done within 3-4k hopefully.

i was lucky i didnt topple over..if i did..i wouldnt post this post
sameel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2008, 10:51   #190
Senior - BHPian

That was a close one Sameel, Glad to know you are allright !!

Cars can be rebuilt but bodies can't Rightly it is said.
vkochar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2008, 12:19   #191
Team-BHP Support

Wow, thats a close shave. Tyre getting burst while driving is a rare phenomenon. It happens only on high speed expressways. Otherwise, while driving you would know that tyre is punctured and you can slow down without a mishap.

Glad to know your allright.
mobike008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2008, 19:56   #192
BHPian

yes i was real lucky .. didnt topple over and go down the hills. latest update is they have replaced front suspension insulation also. one thing of caution. the tyre life is rated at 25k kms.. but mine was worn out at 19k..came down from cbe to change the tyres actually..and at 20k something the tyre blew up!! nothing could be done..at chowanna mannu, i hit the median of the canal pipe carrying bridge. only slight scratches on lower bumper!!! this is only visible..but under body..front right. fully gone!! and my alloy got a small dent ..they said its not damaged as much to be replaced..so i am gonna use that as steppiny . glad that i am ok. if i was in my usual driving speed i would have been dead now.. guess my time is not up. now i am under house arrest. and night driving is banned by my dad

Last edited by sameel : 17th June 2008 at 20:02.
sameel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2008, 16:17   #193
Senior - BHPian

Sameel lucky you ! Biut do drive safe , verna has so much potential to screw up things as much as it has power to bring a smile on yrou face from the power and the mileage !
Old 18th June 2008, 17:28   #194
BHPian

Does tubeless tyres blewup, the main advantage of it that the air goes out very slowly so that we can come to an halt without any accident.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sameel View Post
yes i was real lucky .. didnt topple over and go down the hills. latest update is they have replaced front suspension insulation also. one thing of caution. the tyre life is rated at 25k kms.. but mine was worn out at 19k..came down from cbe to change the tyres actually..and at 20k something the tyre blew up!! nothing could be done..at chowanna mannu, i hit the median of the canal pipe carrying bridge. only slight scratches on lower bumper!!! this is only visible..but under body..front right. fully gone!! and my alloy got a small dent ..they said its not damaged as much to be replaced..so i am gonna use that as steppiny . glad that i am ok. if i was in my usual driving speed i would have been dead now.. guess my time is not up. now i am under house arrest. and night driving is banned by my dad
gopinathann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2008, 17:58   #195
Distinguished - BHPian

19K tyre life? Does it say so somewhere?
jkdas is offline   Reply With Quote