Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Old 18th June 2008, 18:08   #196
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
19K tyre life? Does it say so somewhere?

I dont think that a figure you wouldwant to generalize on as i am runninng at 41,000K and yes now i need to change. I could have got better life out of those miserable MRF ZVTS 175/70/R14 Tubeless tyres but , since i wanted to chaneg over to a better set of rubbers i was quite hard on them. I can only imagione the kindda treatment out buddy sameel would habe metted out to his tyres for them to blow up.

Yep coming again from first principle even my understanding was that the main advantage of tubeless tyre was that they would not have blow outs. This blow out is quite surprising.
hellstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2008, 18:22   #197
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellstar View Post
I bought my Hyundai Verna VGT CRDI from Trivandrum, Kerala in December 2006, ....

The OEM Headlamps ( 65W/55W) do not address the requirements of long distance driving especially during the night or in rain , I would recommend that all Verna owners do this upgrade , but with the proper components like ceramic holders and relays. I have upgraded to (130W/110W) Philips Rally Bulbs. I am also looking at upgrading to a HID but with proper projector setup, but sadly I could not find any dealer/individual who stocks after market HID Projector setup for the Verna.
Sir, OEM headlamps are the best! I would not agree on your POV that all verna users should do a lamp upgrade.

A properly focussed headlamp is often the culprit which leads one to believe that the OE headlamps are ineffective. The dealer often being the culprit too.

ALL OEMs take great car in deciding on the output wattage / brightness / spread etc of the headlamp before deciding to put a certain make / model into a car. Ofcourse cost is also important here,

Just imagine if all the road users were using projector HID lamps - and they dont dip at night - imagine your plight on the highway! Chaos would be the outcome.

My suggestion to all tbhpians - Please focus / adjust your headlamps properly to your satisfaction - go and stand with the car while they focus the headlamp, [check both high and low beam spread] then you'll agree that the OE bulbs are good enough for that car.

Please dont blind oncoming traffic with your powerful lights, let others use the road too.

I didnt mean to offend anyone!
headers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2008, 19:54   #198
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
Please dont blind oncoming traffic with your powerful lights, let others use the road too.

Thanks for posting this, headers. I hope more people follow this.
shapra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2008, 23:25   #199
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
Sir, OEM headlamps are the best! I would not agree on your POV that all verna users should do a lamp upgrade.

A properly focussed headlamp is often the culprit which leads one to believe that the OE headlamps are ineffective. The dealer often being the culprit too.

ALL OEMs take great car in deciding on the output wattage / brightness / spread etc of the headlamp before deciding to put a certain make / model into a car. Ofcourse cost is also important here,

Just imagine if all the road users were using projector HID lamps - and they dont dip at night - imagine your plight on the highway! Chaos would be the outcome.

My suggestion to all tbhpians - Please focus / adjust your headlamps properly to your satisfaction - go and stand with the car while they focus the headlamp, [check both high and low beam spread] then you'll agree that the OE bulbs are good enough for that car.

my dear friend , i have done enough of headlamp focussing on the verna with the OEM setup before the upgrade was effected.

I think that other verna owners will concurr with me especially the ones who do a lot of night driving, And yes even if the upgrade is done i have taken extra pains to ensure that the lamps are properly focussed and do not dazzle anyone when they are on low beam. I rarely drive with the high beam in the city ( unless provoked).

A couple of days back i ran into a signal ( Outer Ring road, Kalyan Nagar Signal , Bangalore) where the santro guy on the opposite side facing me was on his hi beam and was not respondingto a slight use of the hi beam from my sefl of a fellow road user . When we got a green light i stopped headon with this guy(crazily flashing my hi and lwo beams) and he still did not have any clue as to what was irking guys opposite to him . So we ended up teaching the guy that his cars light had two setting and how to switch between them . Luckily this happened after 2100 hrs so less of traffic.

The point i wanna drive home is not about focussing or the upgarde or anything technical at all , its all about the Atittude and awareness, how many times do you see under age kids(early teenagers) droping off his/her mom at the bus stop in a cra or two wheeler, how many time we as responsible citizens havent even cared to report such activities. All i wanted to say was that even if the headlights are focussed properly if the guy behind the wheel is a moron you will still get blinded.

Last edited by hellstar : 18th June 2008 at 23:29.
Old 19th June 2008, 10:57   #200
BHPian

Agree with header's view that drivers should have civic sense. However i completely concur with hellstar. My car does have poor lighting. There are other cars which have the same problem as well. This is not made easy with long stretches or road being poorly lit

Upgrading to HID's does not neccassarily create more problems to drivers from the opposite side. A high beam is dsiconcerting independant of it being from an HID or Halogen, provided the light temperature is kept to 4300 K.
lediablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2008, 11:29   #201
BHPian

i am also supprissed aboutt the blow up.. the service guys said that my tyres were totally worn out!! and on the side , from the rim to end the tyre got torn off..they showed me the tyre being torn from rim to outer edge.. this led to lost control n rest just happened in secs....is this what a blow up is meant to mean or its just due to worn out sidewalls..the tyre got torn due to excessive heat due to speed i did do a 210kmph in the L&T bypass that day when i started off my journey .
will get her back today hopefully
will give the low down on repairs..

Last edited by sameel : 19th June 2008 at 11:31.
sameel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2008, 13:38   #202
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lediablo View Post
Agree with header's view that drivers should have civic sense. However i completely concur with hellstar. My car does have poor lighting. There are other cars which have the same problem as well. This is not made easy with long stretches or road being poorly lit

Upgrading to HID's does not neccassarily create more problems to drivers from the opposite side. A high beam is dsiconcerting independant of it being from an HID or Halogen, provided the light temperature is kept to 4300 K.
All the more reason why i am searching for upgardingto the entire HID lamp setup inclusive of the projector headlights, because without the projector setup the beam focussing cannot be perfect and may cause trouble to the other road users. and yes using a HID bulb of colours less that 6000K will definitely reduce the strain to the other users
Old 19th June 2008, 20:53   #203
BHPian

Quote:
if still the problem persists I suggest you take the car to Trident hyundai , yeshwantpur branch for a check up and contact Service Advisior Sudhir, tell him that you're Anoop's friend (Silver Verna KL01AP6100) and he will take good care of your ride. Do tell him about your vehicle's history also and maybe even request that the head mechanic Mr.Raghu take a look at your ride.
Hey Hellstar, I appreciate your contribution on updating this ownership report. Its indeed very helpful. Just wanted to update that my Verna has completed 1470 KM and I am planning to go for the 1st service this Saturday. Both Yeshwantpur and Seshadripuram service centres are nearby my home (~6KM). The sales executive knows some service advisor in Seshadripuram centre but I am not sure how far this guy will be of help to me. My only concern is not repeatative visits after the service. This always use to happen with Prerana Motors, Peenya/Audugodi with my Indica. They use to give back the car in late evening and on my way back I used to find that the gear lever vibration still exists which I would have already complained and also mentioned in the job card. When asked they used to say its done & when I complain they use to say cooly - "Sir get the car tommorow, we will check it". So the next day again travel 12 kms in the heavy traffic, they will then take car and do the greasing task.
To avoid these irritating things I need you reference. Let me know his contact no.

Thanks in advance,
Girish
girish.r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st June 2008, 09:44   #204
Senior - BHPian

girish .. i have PMed yoru the contact details of Mr Sudhir , do keep me posted about ur experience ...
Old 21st June 2008, 13:44   #205
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sameel View Post
i am also supprissed aboutt the blow up.. the service guys said that my tyres were totally worn out!! and on the side , from the rim to end the tyre got torn off..they showed me the tyre being torn from rim to outer edge.. this led to lost control n rest just happened in secs....is this what a blow up is meant to mean or its just due to worn out sidewalls..the tyre got torn due to excessive heat due to speed i did do a 210kmph in the L&T bypass that day when i started off my journey .
will get her back today hopefully
will give the low down on repairs..
Same happened with my Accent.I was on my way back from Madikeri and suddenly had a puncture in my Left front wheel.When I checked the tyre It was way too hot.I waited for 10 minutes for the tyre to cool down and then changed it,and the alloys were also very hot.
When I went to get the tyre repaired noticed a slight wear in the sidewall.

And when I checked the pressure of other tyres,It was just 20psi and 18psi on of of them
The person told me when You have low pressure and do high speed,the tyre may burst,Luckily it didnt burst in my case.

But I dont know how the tyre pressure came so low,Its still a mystery for me.
zoomingbhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st June 2008, 15:41   #206
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotChillyPepper View Post
Any idea Hyundai done any upgrade on suspension after their release? I mean any solution they provided to address the satility issues above 140 ????
Any idea if Hyundai has reworked the suspension?
barcode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st June 2008, 17:27   #207
Senior - BHPian

I have been told so and i also feel that the newer cars with all round disc barkes are much more manageable at higher speeds.

I havent had a chance to check out the non ABS versions...
Old 21st June 2008, 18:09   #208
Senior - BHPian

Default Build Quality of verna?

This is what i saw when i last wentto the yeshwantpur HMIL A.S.S the damage was so extensive that i coudl not recognise what had happened to the car then later i rembered that on the previous day there were rains and high winds in bangalore and this lunkucky two month old CRDi Verna VGT Sx fel prey to one of the mamoth trees which were uprooted.

I was told that there were passengers in th rear seat but luckily they escaped with minor injuries.

But sadly for the car its a total loss, the guys there were telling that someone would buy the car and get it patched up and eventually the car would find its way back to one of the shady used car showrooms. He also showed me one such car which was brought to the A.S.S with a cracked engine block and then it was welded up to cover the crack , now that was an Accent GLS . The customer had brough the car from a second hand showroom and had brought it to the A.S.S since he was not happy with the car's performance.

The car had put up a pretty decent face to the ruthless onslaught , they had actually driven the car to the work shop , the rear shocks were working perfeclty fine , the font windshiel had craked becaue of branches hitting it from the front, and all the doors flew open the moment the tree hit the car ( this i think is a safety feature in all the vernas) . It happened to me when i had my bang late year in march.
Attached Images

Last edited by hellstar : 21st June 2008 at 18:25.
Old 21st June 2008, 19:10   #209
BHPian

Guys my verna has done 33 k now , the tyres are doing fine....i had changed mine to 195/55/16 as i brought the car, tyres have to be checked every 5000 k for aligment and balancing, i know lot of people who dont address their car till there is a problem, not checking the tyres leeds to uneven wear. the main problem is not upgrading your bulbs , but people who use high beam all the time blinding others, some people have a habit using high beam all the time. safety starts at your own place first..
jeetu4444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2008, 17:44   #210
BHPian

Quote:
girish .. i have PMed yoru the contact details of Mr Sudhir , do keep me posted about ur experience ...
Anoop, I didnt get any PM from you. Actually it was my mistake having asked for the information very late. Anyways since it was 1st service involving just the inspection, I gave it to Seshadripuram centre. The bill was nil (Rs 0/-). The passenger seat and the surrounding area had traces of oil, the staff who got inside to polish the dashboard was himself not clean. That evening I could notice oil only on the passenger seat, got the seat cleaned from them and I had to rush immediately. Back home I noticed that the oil traces were at lot of surrounding places.
The beige interiors are little difficult to maintain and they make the slightest line of dirt look deep.
After the first service the engine has become smooth and the engine noise has come down.
girish.r is offline   Reply With Quote