Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Old 24th June 2008, 11:36   #211
BHPian

Here is an update on my Verna. This issue was earlier mentioned on this thread and i sought Hellstars assistance with Trident Yshwanthpur, Bangalore.

The trouble: The turbo boost which would normally set in between 1800 to 2000RPM siezed (That is the prime reason for buying a Verna).

Trident attempted to rectify the issue. EGR unit(Exhaust gas recirculation) was suspected to be the culprit though balck smoke which is a typical symptom was not observed. They asked me to wait for them to recieve an EGR bulletin, which informs the service center on maintainance and complaint rectification messures for EGR.

The rectification messure was to shorten a certain shaft in the EGR. which was done.

The result: There is slight improvement, though it is not back to the original best. i was told it would gradually get better. I'am willing to accept that and have only run around 40 Kms since.
lediablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2008, 13:47   #212
Senior - BHPian

Hi lediablo , i think you can reset you ECU and the improvement will be visibile soon enough.
hellstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2008, 17:20   #213
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lediablo View Post
Here is an update on my Verna. This issue was earlier mentioned on this thread and i sought Hellstars assistance with Trident Yshwanthpur, Bangalore.

The trouble: The turbo boost which would normally set in between 1800 to 2000RPM siezed (That is the prime reason for buying a Verna).

Trident attempted to rectify the issue. EGR unit(Exhaust gas recirculation) was suspected to be the culprit though balck smoke which is a typical symptom was not observed. They asked me to wait for them to recieve an EGR bulletin, which informs the service center on maintainance and complaint rectification messures for EGR.

The rectification messure was to shorten a certain shaft in the EGR. which was done.

The result: There is slight improvement, though it is not back to the original best. i was told it would gradually get better. I'am willing to accept that and have only run around 40 Kms since.
Hey lediablo, How many kms your car had covered when you noticed the problem?
I have observed this scenario in my car, the turbo in 2nd gear pulls in the following conditions:
1. When the car is climbing up
2. When the car is on a flat surface
3. When the car is moving down

However at times there is no turbo pull on all the above 3 surfaces.
Is it normal? I have covered 1600KM so far and maintained 2500RPM.
girish.r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2008, 21:48   #214
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by girish.r View Post
I have observed this scenario in my car, the turbo in 2nd gear pulls in the following conditions:
My friend girish , instead of saying all this rigmarole you could have just said that the car "always" , aso dont you think that the three statements you hav penned more or less covers all the movement a car typically does?
Old 24th June 2008, 22:08   #215
Team-BHP Support

^^ Well, I have heard that the Verna flies after 2000 RPM
Eddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2008, 22:10   #216
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Dude unless your Verna is equipped with a first-of-its-kind VTOL, you have a problem pretty much everywhere I'd say
FlyingSpur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2008, 22:49   #217
BHPian

Quote:
However at times there is no turbo pull on all the above 3 surfaces.
Is it normal? I have covered 1600KM so far and maintained 2500RPM.
That 2500 RPM shift is completely abnormal.

Keep that throttle pressed and shift at 4000+ RPM to really feel the Turbo irrespective of whether car is climbing up, going down or flat. Least minimum, try shifting at 3000RPM to not feel too much of the turbo lag.
tadukuttan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th June 2008, 17:55   #218
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellstar View Post
My friend girish , instead of saying all this rigmarole you could have just said that the car "always" , aso dont you think that the three statements you hav penned more or less covers all the movement a car typically does?
you are right anoop, no need to put across that detail. Actually I was in a hurry to leave for the day, whatever came in my mind, just posted it.

@tadukuttan, shifting at 3000 RPM is quite difficult from HAL Airport junction - Marathahalli - Kundalahalli - till Whitefield. This stretch after 8AM till 11AM would be heavily crowded.
girish.r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th June 2008, 18:11   #219
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
you are right anoop, no need to put across that detail. Actually I was in a hurry to leave for the day, whatever came in my mind, just posted it.

@tadukuttan, shifting at 3000 RPM is quite difficult from HAL Airport junction - Marathahalli - Kundalahalli - till Whitefield. This stretch after 8AM till 11AM would be heavily crowded.
Agreed on that , maybe then its reason enough to join us during one of our night drives to mulbagal / maddur :-)
Old 26th June 2008, 11:10   #220
BHPian

Hey Girish, My car has done 10000 KM. I noticed it at about 9000 RPM. The 2500 RPM shifts are good with you car having done only 1600 KM. I used to do that, and used to feel a rev limit at around 2500, gradually the engine opens up and becomes more rev free.
I suggest you wait for another 500 KM of driving. If there is a problem with the VGT(as i had faced earlier-The VGT exhaust tube bitten off by rats), then car doesnt pull at all. If the problem is with the lack of thrust at 2000 RPM, wait for sometime.
lediablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th June 2008, 13:07   #221
BHPian

Hellstar, jus need your reply here. i have bought a verna Sx on ICICI insurance a yr back and i had major accident and made of claim of about 2.8 lakhs. I had no troubles claiming that, the hyundai service people did all that. Now when the insurance is up for renew, thay are asking me 10000 extra for the claim i have made. The total amout i have to pay now is 24000. Is this for real with everyone? Can i shift to some other insurance company in my first yr renewal. kindly advise. Now that my last date is also over and they are asking for extra money now.
drsvijay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th June 2008, 13:23   #222
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hey Girish, My car has done 10000 KM. I noticed it at about 9000 RPM. The 2500 RPM shifts are good with you car having done only 1600 KM. I used to do that, and used to feel a rev limit at around 2500, gradually the engine opens up and becomes more rev free.
I suggest you wait for another 500 KM of driving. If there is a problem with the VGT(as i had faced earlier-The VGT exhaust tube bitten off by rats), then car doesnt pull at all. If the problem is with the lack of thrust at 2000 RPM, wait for sometime.
I don't think so. I just test drove a Verna last week. The car had just be unloaded from a transport vehicle, so it was as new as it can get. But the acc was pretty intense. Even with 3 people in the car and A/C on, i couldn't feel any lag beyond 2000 rpm.

If only Hyundai could care enough about it's handling, it would have made a very good enthusuast's car. Awesome perormance, as long as you're goin in a straightline!!!

Shan2nu
Shan2nu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th June 2008, 13:48   #223
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shan2nu View Post
very good enthusuast's car. Awesome perormance, as long as you're goin in a straightline!!!
Shan2nu
ROFL: Just couldnt help it : Arent all cars good in a straight line?
headers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th June 2008, 14:29   #224
SUV
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shan2nu View Post
I don't think so. I just test drove a Verna last week. The car had just be unloaded from a transport vehicle, so it was as new as it can get. But the acc was pretty intense. Even with 3 people in the car and A/C on, i couldn't feel any lag beyond 2000 rpm.

If only Hyundai could care enough about it's handling, it would have made a very good enthusuast's car. Awesome perormance, as long as you're goin in a straightline!!!

Shan2nu
Yep .. a New Car (with about 50 KM on the Odo) has pretty good accleration, but after about 1K KM it starts to loose it .. I have this problem with my Verna as well....... Hyundai shortened the EGR shaft so that the Plunger/valve (?) closes completely (their claim was that it is not closing completely) but it has not resolved the problem.

It feels like the Turbo is not building enough Boost ..... If you know what i mean.
SUV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th June 2008, 15:40   #225
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drsvijay View Post
Hellstar, jus need your reply here. i have bought a verna Sx on ICICI insurance a yr back and i had major accident and made of claim of about 2.8 lakhs. I had no troubles claiming that, the hyundai service people did all that. Now when the insurance is up for renew, thay are asking me 10000 extra for the claim i have made. The total amout i have to pay now is 24000. Is this for real with everyone? Can i shift to some other insurance company in my first yr renewal. kindly advise. Now that my last date is also over and they are asking for extra money now.

I shifted to a different insurance service provider after my first accident , i also had to pay up as much , i think that is normal i am currently insured with Bajaj Allianz. Now that your insurance date is over i thikn you will be at the recieveing end , but i would always recommend you to personally check with other service providers before insuring you car , and yes do get it done fast ....

And yes what happened? i hope everyone involved is safe and sound from the accident