Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Old 26th June 2008, 16:03   #226
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
ROFL: Just couldnt help it : Arent all cars good in a straight line?
No they aren't. The Verna goes from 0-160 in 33secs (Thats as quick as the OHC VTEC). But the handling is just not suited for this sort of power and speed.

Shan2nu
Shan2nu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th June 2008, 16:38   #227
BHPian

GUYS MY VERNA IS 33k old but not felt anything wrong with the turbo....its kicking as always.
jeetu4444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th June 2008, 17:56   #228
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUV View Post
Yep .. a New Car (with about 50 KM on the Odo) has pretty good accleration, but after about 1K KM it starts to loose it .. I have this problem with my Verna as well....... Hyundai shortened the EGR shaft so that the Plunger/valve (?) closes completely (their claim was that it is not closing completely) but it has not resolved the problem.

It feels like the Turbo is not building enough Boost ..... If you know what i mean.

hey dude could it just be that you got used to the turbo ? try ing driving around an a non turbo car aaround for sometime and shift back to Verna .... I mean this can also be a problem ..... getting used to the turbo boost !
hellstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th June 2008, 21:52   #229
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lediablo View Post
Hey Girish, My car has done 10000 KM. I noticed it at about 9000 RPM. The 2500 RPM shifts are good with you car having done only 1600 KM. I used to do that, and used to feel a rev limit at around 2500, gradually the engine opens up and becomes more rev free.
I suggest you wait for another 500 KM of driving. If there is a problem with the VGT(as i had faced earlier-The VGT exhaust tube bitten off by rats), then car doesnt pull at all. If the problem is with the lack of thrust at 2000 RPM, wait for sometime.
Apologies, I dont intend to 'fly your fun', but whats the "sweet and eatable" fuel you run your car on? Rats eating up the exhaust tube is too cute!
barcode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th June 2008, 10:44   #230
SUV
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellstar View Post
hey dude could it just be that you got used to the turbo ? try ing driving around an a non turbo car aaround for sometime and shift back to Verna .... I mean this can also be a problem ..... getting used to the turbo boost !
Good Point ... but i drive 3 different car's in a given week, The Sonata Auto (P) and the Safari .... But how would you explain the 10-11 KMPL city/highway (50/50%) combined. Offlate i have been doing about 90KM a day ...

When the Trident Senior Tech (Chandru i think) took a test drive he also agreed that it has a problem and then did the EGR job, he also drained the diesel tank (wasted 20 L of Diesel) and cleaned the filter's as well.... he said it should get better slowly..... Will update on my next diesel refill.
SUV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th June 2008, 10:49   #231
BHPian

Post Turbo whine!

Hi Girish,
I Would agree to hellstar's point here;

There are a couple of ways to feel the turbo:

1) Start gently accelerating and increase the throttle in a smooth and a rapid
manner. First would be a feel of the car pulling and then will come the
massive thrust from the TC.
2) Drive the car early morning in a quieter environment (no a/c,windows
down), you will hear the turbo whistling from 1800 RPM and above.

If you feel none of please have the car checked; If the Service guys donot agree, take them on a TD with their TD car and your car and make them feel the differnce;

All the best!
Mav
Maverick_x1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th June 2008, 11:44   #232
Senior - BHPian

Oh yes bad fuel could be reason enough , fill fuel only from company owned and run outlets or pumps which have a good reputation for dispensing good quality fuel.

I for one fill diesel only fro HP E-fuel pumps.
Old 27th June 2008, 11:55   #233
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUV View Post
Good Point ... but i drive 3 different car's in a given week, The Sonata Auto (P) and the Safari .... But how would you explain the 10-11 KMPL city/highway (50/50%) combined. Offlate i have been doing about 90KM a day ...

When the Trident Senior Tech (Chandru i think) took a test drive he also agreed that it has a problem and then did the EGR job, he also drained the diesel tank (wasted 20 L of Diesel) and cleaned the filter's as well.... he said it should get better slowly..... Will update on my next diesel refill.

Was the ecu reset after this excercise ?

and hey maverick , your method would only tell you if the turbo is spooling or not , it will not tell you if it is not working efficiently to give you the boost you expect.
Old 27th June 2008, 12:48   #234
SUV
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellstar View Post
Was the ecu reset after this excercise ?.
Yep, i asked Trident to do it specifically..(The only way i could gauge it was done - Trip meter was @ "0" & The stereo was back to its default setting)
SUV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th June 2008, 21:17   #235
BHPian

thanks hellstar. Ya, no one had even a scratch. Ok i just paid up 8k more and got insured with them only. Next year will change over to someone else. Think i shud quit ICICI before its late.
drsvijay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2008, 00:43   #236
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drsvijay View Post
thanks hellstar. Ya, no one had even a scratch. Ok i just paid up 8k more and got insured with them only. Next year will change over to someone else. Think i shud quit ICICI before its late.

Make that a decision , as i have many a friends who has had sour experiences with ICICI
Old 28th June 2008, 11:45   #237
BHPian

@barcode -Mate i do not know if the roddents have a sweet tooth.I will take it from you . The apartment that i stay at had a severe roddent attack and somepeople ended up spending as much as Rs 10000/- to contain related trouble. It did happen, and as much as it is amusing it was very disconcerting.

@SUV-This is exactly the explaination that i got too, with results similar to yours.

@hellstar- I tried attributing it to getting used to the car and the turbo, but no this is a genuine problem. I happy that you have not faced it. While the pick up remains good, the Verna CRDI edge or fun factor is lost.
You mentioned about e-fuel pumps. what are these?

@Shan2u -The Verna CRDI is a great car and has excellent straight line performance and is very drivable in the city with appreciable roll on times as well. I agree with your opinion on handling as well. The talk is not about turbo lag after 2000, but the reluctance of boost(when turbo starts reving optimally) to set in particularly in the 2nd gear. This boost is kind of the USP of the Verna CRDI. This is not something that everyone has faced. Hellstar has no problems after 40K kms. I faced at around 9K.

Also general info- Since i have started putting to practice a 1 minute idle after starting and before switching off, the engine seems to be smoother more often. Otherwise it would be slightly rough, when driving, in higher abient temperature.
lediablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2008, 21:35   #238
BHPian

lediablo is your car showing the sign ( check engine ) or something coz your car is too new to have such a problem, i own 2 verna 1 is 18 months old and the other is not even 1 month old, both doing good.
jeetu4444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2008, 21:53   #239
Awaiting Email Confirmation

My verna has done 20K and feels just as quick as the 1st day.
@lediablo- was this a sudden occurrence or you just noticed that you were gradually losing that boost feel?
rippergeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2008, 23:38   #240
Senior - BHPian

[quote=lediablo;883673
@hellstar- I tried attributing it to getting used to the car and the turbo, but no this is a genuine problem. I happy that you have not faced it. While the pick up remains good, the Verna CRDI edge or fun factor is lost.
You mentioned about e-fuel pumps. what are these?

.[/quote]

There are those HP pumps where in the complete supply chain from the refinery upto delivery to the customer is digtailly monitored for correctness of measure and adulteration. hence e-fuel pump.

These are easy to identfy they will have red coloured digital display near thier dispening stations showing the current availability of fuel in the underground tanks. These will also have the seperate station for generating the computerised bill for the fuel dispensed. And they are almost always Club HP Pumps which can be recongnised from the red and blue colouring scheme

About the idiling for a minute before turing off the engine , its even more important that you idle the engine for a minute in the mornings before you hit the 1.8K RPM Mark (turbo on)