Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Old 20th August 2008, 08:46   #286
BHPian

Hi BM,
Initially the mileage will hover around the 13-15 KMPL mark (city). It normally depends on the style of driving and the traffic conditions

1) Steady and gentle acceleration.
2) Drive at the highest gear range possible
3) Check the tyre pressure and manage it to be optimal.
4) A trusted fuel station like the HP/IOC owned outlets (Quantity/quality

This should infact keep your vehicle in top condition too...

ALL THE BEST!
Maverick_x1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th August 2008, 18:25   #287
BHPian

Default Driving Style for verna

Quote:
Originally Posted by rippergeo View Post
Dear bhat,
as you learn to use the torque, and use the clutch less, the mileage will go up. but do not expect anything more than 15kmpl in a congested city like calcutta.

driving style is more important than anything else in getting good FE.
What is actually meant by 'learn to use the torque'. From my experience, excess of torque is making a pain in bumper to bumper traffic. I feel two situations-

1. If I need to put it in higher gears at low speed, I need to use the cluth frequently. For example, I cannot drive it in 3rd gear at a speed of 20 without pressing the clutch because if I release it completely it will take me to a speed around 30-35. So, to retrict her in the 20, I need put the clutch half-pressed.

2. The other option is , to drive in the speed of 20, slot the gear in 2nd and release the cluth fully. Then without using the gas, I can steadily maitain the desired speed.

So, which approch is better in terms of driving style and fuel economy? Please help.

For the las 3.5 years, I own a Zen and there the driving method is totally different. Somehow I have already started to feel that Verna CRDI is not ideally suited for dead slow traffic like Kolkata and I'm already afraid of eating up the clutch very soon.

Regards
------------------
Bhatmaster
2008 - Verna VGT
2005 - Zen Lxi
2001 - Indica pre-V2
bhatmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th August 2008, 23:42   #288
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhatmaster View Post
1. If I need to put it in higher gears at low speed, I need to use the cluth frequently. For example, I cannot drive it in 3rd gear at a speed of 20 without pressing the clutch because if I release it completely it will take me to a speed around 30-35. So, to retrict her in the 20, I need put the clutch half-pressed.

2. The other option is , to drive in the speed of 20, slot the gear in 2nd and release the cluth fully. Then without using the gas, I can steadily maitain the desired speed.

So, which approch is better in terms of driving style and fuel economy? Please help.

For the las 3.5 years, I own a Zen and there the driving method is totally different. Somehow I have already started to feel that Verna CRDI is not ideally suited for dead slow traffic like Kolkata and I'm already afraid of eating up the clutch very soon.
bhatmaster the things you have observed are correct , the way i drive is using point tow so that i use the clutch to the minimum and gun the engine only when required.

And dont worry your clutch will not burn out as fast as you think it will, unless you treat the CRDi the same way you treat the zen . I drive in similar condition everyday and i belive that my clutch still has a long long way to go....

Yes the point that you have noted about the driving style being different is spot on and its just a matter of getting used to it , for all you know i might find it difficult for a few days if i am given a petrol car for commuting everyday
hellstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2008, 13:46   #289
BHPian

hi everybody.i have scratched my dashboard of verna vgt.any ideas on how to repair it?replacing would be 20000 rs.actually the car was involved in a frontal collision.windscreen broke and the glass scratched it at many places.what to do?can any refinishing be done with professional products?
drchernish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2008, 14:02   #290
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drchernish View Post
hi everybody.i have scratched my dashboard of verna vgt.any ideas on how to repair it?replacing would be 20000 rs.actually the car was involved in a frontal collision.windscreen broke and the glass scratched it at many places.what to do?can any refinishing be done with professional products?
Photos would help us give u appropriate suggestions.
kpzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2008, 14:12   #291
BHPian

A couple of hours ago, I used Com-Paint for a scratch on the bumper of my 1.5 month old Verna CRDi SX... Well, the scratch is hidden, but the area is discoloured.

Try and stay away from OTC help. Seek a professionals help, perhaps take it to a local garage as well... They can help with sub rubbing and polishing on the dash.

Meanwhile, one quick question... the Hyundai Compnay Owned workshop has been overbooked, and denied me service on an immediate date. The result is, my car is at 1500 kms and completed 1.5 months. Should I wait for the next two weeks for my turn at the service center, and drive a few hundred more kms?

My problem: I only feel this strange noise like a couple of clicks when the car is in slow traffic and the RPM falls to exact 1000... This is before engine lugging point, and usually in 2nd, 1st gear... What could be wrong? And is there something wrong?
barcode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2008, 00:57   #292
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by barcode View Post
A couple of hours ago, I used Com-Paint for a scratch on the bumper of my 1.5 month old Verna CRDi SX... Well, the scratch is hidden, but the area is discoloured.

Try and stay away from OTC help. Seek a professionals help, perhaps take it to a local garage as well... They can help with sub rubbing and polishing on the dash.

Meanwhile, one quick question... the Hyundai Compnay Owned workshop has been overbooked, and denied me service on an immediate date. The result is, my car is at 1500 kms and completed 1.5 months. Should I wait for the next two weeks for my turn at the service center, and drive a few hundred more kms?

My problem: I only feel this strange noise like a couple of clicks when the car is in slow traffic and the RPM falls to exact 1000... This is before engine lugging point, and usually in 2nd, 1st gear... What could be wrong? And is there something wrong?
Any paint job done outside of a paint booth is questionable wrt quality and finish...and in any case if there is a scratch on a bumper and this has to be corrected with a high degree of finish then , the whole part will have to be painted and then given a clear coat ... so please dont try the DIY on the piant part unless you have access to professional pianting equipment.

Is this the first service free service that you are talking about here ? if yes then please go ahead do the change from any other HMASS , that should do.

I havent noticed the click noise as you have described , i dont think its to much to worry anyways better to ask your service advisor when to take the car for service. and do keep us posted ...

Last edited by hellstar : 31st August 2008 at 00:59.
Old 31st August 2008, 07:54   #293
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Quote:
What is actually meant by 'learn to use the torque'. From my experience, excess of torque is making a pain in bumper to bumper traffic. I feel two situations-

Regards
------------------
Bhatmaster
2008 - Verna VGT
2005 - Zen Lxi
2001 - Indica pre-V2
like you said there are 2 options. in heavy traffic, stay in the gear that lets you drive with the least clutch.
so in the above example, it would be 2nd gear.

the other thing is,
when you take your foot off the clutch, there is an initial surge , which lasts 1-2 secs, after which the car settles down to a slower speed.
you need to anticipate that, and start slightly later from standstill than you would with a petrol car.
the disadvantage is that the gap created by your waiting might get filled up by bikes

another option to avoid that is, as your coming off the clutch, feather the brakes a little. this will control the surge, and once the surge is over, you can settle down to the car's regular idling.

the verna is not as easy to drive in a city as the other common rails available, but it makes up for that on the highway
rippergeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd September 2008, 23:50   #294
BHPian

Thumbs up

Quote:
Hi All,
This is my first post in the forum after following it for almost one year. For the last few months, I was dwindling between the decisions for buying a disel sedan and after going through several threads and advices in TBHP, decided to put my hands on Verna VGT ( CRDI w/o ABS). Got my car in the last to last week (Kayra clour) and till date it has done around 600 KMs in Kolkata.
According to the most owners of this forum, it rerurns a mileage in the range of 15-17 in the city condition. But, I could not manage to get more than 12.9 KmPl with 80% AC. Since this a new car, I did not dare to push her beyond 2500 RPM and more or less I was light on the pedal al the time. I measured the mileage with Tank-to-tank full method.

My doubt here is -

1. Is this low mileage typical for the brand new car for the first few hundred KMs? How much it improves after the 1st service?

2. Is it possible to tune the engine during the service or ECU always tune it itself?

3. What can be other reason for this low figure? Although most of the KMs I travelled with conjested city condition, still I'm frustated to accept this low KPL.

For any help on the above queries, I will be thankfull.

Regards
--------------------
Bhatmaster
Hi Bhatmaster,
I have the same colour Verna CRDi and my update after 5.5 / 6 months and 10,000 kms. clocked so far is that the average fuel efficiency is 13.5 - 14.0 in city conditions with 100% AC on and idling everyday due to bumper to bumper traffic. Highyways would vary between 15.5 / 17.5.
I have 185/70 Michelin XM1+ and a performance tuning chip hence a few adrenalin bursts would be quite evident in a day. Here is a pic of my Kyara Verna !!
Attached Images

mac_guy555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2008, 15:50   #295
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac_guy555 View Post
Hi Bhatmaster,
I have the same colour Verna CRDi and my update after 5.5 / 6 months and 10,000 kms. clocked so far is that the average fuel efficiency is 13.5 - 14.0 in city conditions with 100% AC on and idling everyday due to bumper to bumper traffic. Highyways would vary between 15.5 / 17.5.
I have 185/70 Michelin XM1+ and a performance tuning chip hence a few adrenalin bursts would be quite evident in a day. Here is a pic of my Kyara Verna !!

Performance tuning chip for Verna VGT ? i guess thats a first on the forum ... could you give us the details of wher and how it was sourced..

The mileage figures are pretty ok if you have the habit of satisfying your adrenalin rushes in the car which is tuned for performance. Please note that my mileage figures are on a completely stock setup ( with petes box ) and sedate driving with bursts only to overtake irritants on the roads. Sedate as in sedate accelaration and no touching >2500 rpms in any gear less than the fourth gear.

Hey nice alloys dude ... but i guess your car needs some water treatment .... :-) happy motoring ... and do drive safe

Last edited by aah78 : 4th September 2008 at 20:22. Reason: Posts merged.
Old 4th September 2008, 20:06   #296
BHPian

Thumbs up water treatment ??

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellstar View Post
Performance tuning chip for Verna VGT ? i guess thats a first on the forum ... could you give us the details of wher and how it was sourced..

The mileage figures are pretty ok if you have the habit of satisfying your adrenalin rushes in the car which is tuned for performance. Please note that my mileage figures are on a completely stock setup ( with petes box ) and sedate driving with bursts only to overtake irritants on the roads. Sedate as in sedate accelaration and no touching >2500 rpms in any gear less than the fourth gear.
No its not a first. It is identical to the Petes Tuning Box which so many people have. The only difference is that you can adjust the power in 24 step + -.
Basically I would stand corrected if we call it a "chip in a box" Hence its a tuning box.

I do get wheelspin a 50-60 if pushed and the good part is that it costs a lot less "vitamin M" than Pete's tuning box which was quoted at 31K to me. This Tuning Box was bought from the USA and with shipping / import duty levied ..... cost me just 18,500/- slightly less or more.
Yes you are quite right about the irritants on the road and most of the bursts are purely meant to overtake them.
Cheers,
Adit.

Quote:
Hey nice alloys dude ... but i guess your car needs some water treatment .... :-) happy motoring ... and do drive safe
Hey Hellstar,
Thanks for the compliments and could you elaborate more on what you mean by water treatment the car needs ?? Am a newbie here so would not understand what it means if its technical

Happy motoring to U too and Be safe !!
Warm regards,
Adit.
Old 5th September 2008, 02:20   #297
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
No its not a first. It is identical to the Petes Tuning Box which so many people have. The only difference is that you can adjust the power in 24 step + -..
thats interesting could you give us the technical details , manufacturer name and where it was sourced from ?

Quote:
could you elaborate more on what you mean by water treatment the car needs ?? Am a newbie here so would not understand what it means if its technical
cmon dude i was just hinting that picture of your car was clicked when it kindda had some mud splashed on it and that i requires some water treatment as in " washing the car " thats all nothing technical about it ... and dude i am not the kindda guy who gets technical ..

if you wanna know what technical means then skip back couple of pages on this thread and check out posts from a fellow bhpian with the handle " sameel' on details of vehicle ECMs... and the petes box..
Old 5th September 2008, 09:30   #298
BHPian

ahem ahem.. so we have lot of options here for increase in power..thats cool.
i am kind of getting prepard for a k&n appolo CAI system.
a friend of mine has got it in the swift vdi the turbo lag is minimal in his swift now. it does give improved low end performance. which i am looking out for.
sameel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2008, 09:45   #299
BHPian

Thumbs up

Quote:
thats interesting could you give us the technical details , manufacturer name and where it was sourced from ?

cmon dude i was just hinting that picture of your car was clicked when it kindda had some mud splashed on it and that i requires some water treatment as in " washing the car " thats all nothing technical about it ... and dude i am not the kindda guy who gets technical ..

if you wanna know what technical means then skip back couple of pages on this thread and check out posts from a fellow bhpian with the handle " sameel' on details of vehicle ECMs... and the petes box..
That's weird actually 'cause this picture was taken first thing in the morning after the car got a "water treatment". So I don't see any mud on the car. Anyways ...... the tuning box is called PowerBox CR (common rail), made in Germany. It needs to be connected to the high pressure fuel line which runs parallel to the cylinder head.
I got 2 units for myself with one installed and working well and 1 lying around. Been meaning to buy another CRDi engined smaller car but no luck yet with Swift waiting period and no bargains/freebies with Palio MJD :(

BTW this PowerBox CR works with almost all common rail diesel vehicles so its great. You can just unplug it when you want to sell the car and fit in the new CRDi car !!

Regards,
Adit.
Old 5th September 2008, 10:21   #300
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sameel View Post
it does give improved low end performance. which i am looking out for.
240Nm @1900 rpm and still u want more low end...U must be kidding...
kpzen is offline   Reply With Quote