Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Old 24th February 2009, 21:58   #346
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
The FE figures are astonishing and that too with Petes!
Petes won't affect the FE if your driving style remains the same! In some cases it will increase the FE.
kpzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2009, 08:27   #347
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sameel View Post
buddy its not the box which is causing your clutch issues. its your driving style. and hey you are lucky usualy the clutch life is probably 50k kms. !!

have you changed the break pads?? mine lasted only 20k kms both front and rear disc pads

Oh yes the front brake pads were changed sometime back i i belive it was some where in the 40 thousands , rear brake pads were changed in the last service.

Issue was that the A.S.S guys should have been regularly bleeding the clutch , i was there when they bled the clutch last time and it definitley felt like they were doing it for the first time from the amount of air that escaped. And the issues that I had were not classical symptoms of cltuch failure, i believe that the air in the hydraulics are to blame for this.

But Sameel isnt it a fact that moment you do some mod on your ride to increase you power over 20% , th increased torque takes its toll on the clutch thereby adversely affecting clutch life?
hellstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2009, 08:34   #348
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpzen View Post
Petes won't affect the FE if your driving style remains the same! In some cases it will increase the FE.
This is exactly what i have felt , in crease in FE since due to the increased torque we tend to drive around in higher gears and number of gear changes goes down drastically.

I have also been informed that the Stock replacement Green cotton filters for Verna CRDI are now available with Pete's now that should do something about my increased smoke levels. Right now i am on the OEM Air filter.
Old 25th February 2009, 10:39   #349
BHPian

clutch life depends on driving style mainly.

yes the clutch will be affected only when power increase is way off the tolerance levels!! and a mere 20-30 percent is not way off. in case of remaps where 50% power and torque increases comes into picture, the clutch will be in trouble!

bleeding the clutch at service time is a good idea.

and yes since the gear changes has gone down, your clutch should last longer .

no wonder you have an ok clutch at 55k kms !!
sameel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2009, 23:34   #350
Senior - BHPian

Hmm thats explains quite a lots of things !
Old 26th February 2009, 09:04   #351
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellstar View Post
On my last highway trip the car averaged 25 kmpl and in city the car has been giving me between 16 – 19 kmpl depending on the AC and traffic condition.
Holy Cow! What speeds do you drive to get those mileage? You don't seem like a person who will do steady 80-90 to get a good mileage to me

A little worried about the flywheel & clutch thingie. Are they normal at 50K?

Last edited by SkyWalker : 26th February 2009 at 09:06.
SkyWalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2009, 19:58   #352
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyWalker View Post
Holy Cow! What speeds do you drive to get those mileage? You don't seem like a person who will do steady 80-90 to get a good mileage to me

A little worried about the flywheel & clutch thingie. Are they normal at 50K?
You are spot on , i am not the kindda guy who drives constantly at 80- 90 kmph instead i cruise at speeds between 110 kmph and 130 kmph and when not possible i drive around in whatever gear thats apt for the speed, note that i never liug the car and gear changes for me are always at 1200 - 1500 RPM on the tacho, and i very rarely redline the car .

And most importantly most of my drives are during non peak hours,
read that as overnight drives .....

The clutch life depends on your usage , flywheel damages also depends on how rough you are with your car and if you ride the clutch too much. I have personally know about a verna crdi in TVM which has done more than 80k kms and is still running on the stock clutch. I belive that its the bangalore city traffic which has taken a toll on the clutch, i dont think that the clutch and flywheel thingy is a systemic issue with all vernas.
Old 16th March 2009, 11:05   #353
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by girish.r View Post
Hi Anup,
My Verna CRDi is due for 2nd free service. While booking for the service over the phone, the service advisor estimated that the service could be 4.5K inclusive of Wheel Alignment+Balancing. Is this a normal quote?
On the other hand would it be advisable to get the Wheel Alignment+Balancing at a professional tyre shop rather than these service centers?
I have gone through wheel alignment thread and most of them seem to be happy with Madhus Enterprises, near Richmond circle. I am thinking of visiting this place.

Let me know if there is any specific check that I need to do after the service.

Thanks in advance,
Girish
Girish,

I have given my Verna CRDi (SX/ABS) for 2nd free service this morning, and the charges quoted by the advisor are as follows:

1400 - Oil + Oil Filter Replacement. 105 discount running on this currently so about 1260 bucks.
500 - Wheel Alignment + Balancing + Rotation (Recommended at company outlets only). 20% discount running on this one currently, so 400.

1660 bucks for free service, although sounds expensive in itself (I had an alto before this where free service meant Rs. 110 as some charges), is way lower than 4.5k quoted to you. Where are you located ? This is the price for Advaith Hyndai Svc center in bangalore - outer ring road.
amitwadhwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2009, 15:06   #354
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitwadhwa View Post
Girish,

I have given my Verna CRDi (SX/ABS) for 2nd free service this morning, and the charges quoted by the advisor are as follows:
------
1660 bucks for free service, although sounds expensive in itself (I had an alto before this where free service meant Rs. 110 as some charges), is way lower than 4.5k quoted to you. Where are you located ? This is the price for Advaith Hyndai Svc center in bangalore - outer ring road.
Amit,

What about the fuel & air filters? The total cost of the free service is Rs.4500 approx. This is what I had paid for my Verna CRDI SX ABS' 2nd free service in December.
sdmn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2009, 15:23   #355
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdmn View Post
Amit,

What about the fuel & air filters? The total cost of the free service is Rs.4500 approx. This is what I had paid for my Verna CRDI SX ABS' 2nd free service in December.
I got my verna crdi sx abs serviced a few days back. The car is 5 months old and only run 4k but I had some other issues (please see my initial ownership review for details) so I got the service done at the same time. Since I've run less the air filter only needed cleaning. Engine oil cost around 900 and oil filter around 350 or 400. Final bill was 1470. Even I was given an estimate of around 3500 the last time I asked. But it was more then 2000 rupees less! Arent tyre rotation etc done as part of the 2nd free service? Why pay for them?
pras.oct25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2009, 11:29   #356
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdmn View Post
Amit,

I sadly stand corrected from my previous post. After I put in this post, I got a call from the dealer saying: I missed out the fact that your car is a diesel, so I have to replace Diesel and Air filter as well. It will cost 2k more.
I had gone in for the shampooing service as well, because the light colored 2-tone interior goes really dirty, that cost 800 bucks.
I paid Rs. 5k in all after 5% discount on spares, and 20% discount on labour.

Being a diesel I tend to drive it around way too much than I would a petrol. but every 10k kms, If I have to spend 5k, that evaluates to 1k extra per month of running cost (every 6 months service). So much for owning a diesel Regardless, the turbo punch, and the overtaking power keeps me alive and thirsty for the drive everyday. I still feel that excitement and rush about getting into the car when I take off to work every morning (its been 6 months now, and I had thought that feeling would go, but it hasnt ) .

The 11.5-12kpl I get is normal I guess in city conditions (15 on highway).
amitwadhwa is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2009, 11:41   #357
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pras.oct25 View Post
I got my verna crdi sx abs serviced a few days back. The car is 5 months old and only run 4k but I had some other issues (please see my initial ownership review for details) so I got the service done at the same time. Since I've run less the air filter only needed cleaning. Engine oil cost around 900 and oil filter around 350 or 400. Final bill was 1470. Even I was given an estimate of around 3500 the last time I asked. But it was more then 2000 rupees less! Arent tyre rotation etc done as part of the 2nd free service? Why pay for them?
I was also told that air filters of a diesel car cannot be cleaned I dont believe in that. Air filters are always cleanable, I don't know whether he has even changed it or not. My Rs. 5k service included wheel alignment and balancing for 550 as well. He has put in the old filters in the boot of my car, but I don't know whether those are actually the ones he has replaced, or just put in some old ones in my boot and left my existing ones in the car. How do we go about trusting these ppl. ?
Engine oil - 5.3 litres - cost more than 1000 bucks.. again, I dont know if he has changed that or not. I can probably see the color, but hey, if they want to cheat, they will cheat. Question is, how do we verify that the huge amounts we are paying for servicing are actually being used, or are we just getting ripped off, with them just doing some basic cleaning and tuning and returning the car to us. After all, recession can tempt anyone, even car dealers to fleece us by charging for "supposedly" replaced parts, but not actually doing it.
amitwadhwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2009, 13:54   #358
BANNED

Folks, I can provide some information here:

1. Pras did not have to replace the air filter simply because at 4000km, the Verna CRDI does not need a replacement. It does not even need a cleaning. But since Pras' car showed up for service (perhaps due to the 6 months factor), they cleaned it.

Amit, if your car did 10000 km, then a air filter cleaning is of no use if you want long life of the engine. Then you need a replacement. Of course, you also need to replace it to retain warranty. You can very eazily check whether they put in a new air filter by opening a clamp over the air filter. You could also ask the service advisor to show it to you. Generally dealers who care about their reputation will not indulge in malpractice. In a very short term, such malpractices will surface and the dealer will lose more than what he gained. Big and reputer dealers are less likely to indulge in malpractice.

2. Tire rotation as such is free. However, once you change the position of the tires / wheels, they need to be re-aligned and re-balanced. That is not free. I too paid for it during my 2nd free service.

3. Cost effectiveness of the Verna CRDI: Amit, you know, I bought the Verna CRDI only for the 'fun to drive' factor. Diesel economy is like head wind / tail wind during a flight - it aids you when fuel prices go up, and dosn't do much when fuel prices go down. This is so because in India, when fuel prices go up, price difference between petrol and diesel goes up, and vice versa. Coming to think of pure diesel economy, only the Indica diesel non turbo base model will be excellent value for money over a petrol car. And that is why it is a cab, and not a Verna CRDI!

Warm regards,
Sandeep Menon
Old 23rd March 2009, 15:35   #359
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitwadhwa View Post
I was also told that air filters of a diesel car cannot be cleaned I dont believe in that. Air filters are always cleanable, I don't know whether he has even changed it or not. My Rs. 5k service included wheel alignment and balancing for 550 as well. He has put in the old filters in the boot of my car, but I don't know whether those are actually the ones he has replaced, or just put in some old ones in my boot and left my existing ones in the car. How do we go about trusting these ppl. ?
Engine oil - 5.3 litres - cost more than 1000 bucks.. again, I dont know if he has changed that or not. I can probably see the color, but hey, if they want to cheat, they will cheat. Question is, how do we verify that the huge amounts we are paying for servicing are actually being used, or are we just getting ripped off, with them just doing some basic cleaning and tuning and returning the car to us. After all, recession can tempt anyone, even car dealers to fleece us by charging for "supposedly" replaced parts, but not actually doing it.
amit, i spent the whole day at HMP for my service that day, not cause of the trust factor, but because I had to get that rattling stuff rectified and I wanted the satisfaction of verifying everything myself and knowing exactly what had been done for future reference. If you are having trust issues with your service center then you have 2 potential options - either change to a recommended service center that is trustworthy, or else the next time you go for service, tell them that you would like to stay back and verify the service process. Also, I do think that every part that is a genuine accessory will have some kind of code or product id on it. What you can do is ask them to take out the parts that will be replaced and note down the code on it. Later when you collect your code verify that the code matches with the part that has been replaced. Try not to give them the impression that you dont trust them. Rather show them that you are taking interest in your car and that will make them cooperate more with you.
Personally, I found it rather funny that that fellow didnt know that your car was a diesel?? What kind of a service center services a car without knowing if it is a petrol or a diesel? I suggest that you immediately look for a better service center

Last edited by pras.oct25 : 23rd March 2009 at 15:36.
pras.oct25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2009, 15:55   #360
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by pras.oct25 View Post
Personally, I found it rather funny that that fellow didnt know that your car was a diesel?? What kind of a service center services a car without knowing if it is a petrol or a diesel? I suggest that you immediately look for a better service center
I completely agree with Pras on this one. Switch to a better dealer / service center.

Warm regards,
Sandeep Menon