Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Old 29th March 2009, 02:20   #361
BHPian

All Verna owners, compared to the interiors of the Verna, the i20 is much better, especially the steering wheel. Has anybody checked if its possible to replace the verna's steering wheel with the i20's? Even though no one forced me to buy the Verna CRDI, I feel for a Rs. 9 lakh car, the interiors should have been a little more upmarket after seeing the i20. If they could do the interiors of the i20 the way it is, I'm sure they could have done something for the Verna, if not better, atleast on the same lines.
Thoughts?
SantoshPV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2009, 14:39   #362
BANNED

Santosh, that's true. And it is inevitable. All new cars designed from scratch will be superior to cars designed before them. Slowly, the Verna (as well as other cars designed 2 to 3 years ago) will become outdated and newer modern interiors will come!

And we will upgrade too!

Sandeep
sdmn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th March 2009, 23:23   #363
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SantoshPV View Post
All Verna owners, compared to the interiors of the Verna, the i20 is much better, especially the steering wheel. Has anybody checked if its possible to replace the verna's steering wheel with the i20's? Even though no one forced me to buy the Verna CRDI, I feel for a Rs. 9 lakh car, the interiors should have been a little more upmarket after seeing the i20. If they could do the interiors of the i20 the way it is, I'm sure they could have done something for the Verna, if not better, atleast on the same lines.
Thoughts?
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdmn View Post
Santosh, that's true. And it is inevitable. All new cars designed from scratch will be superior to cars designed before them. Slowly, the Verna (as well as other cars designed 2 to 3 years ago) will become outdated and newer modern interiors will come!

And we will upgrade too!

Sandeep
thats well said Sandeep . i was about to type in a reply to the same effect and lo you did the honours thnx !.
hellstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2009, 00:28   #364
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdmn View Post
Folks, I can provide some information here:

1. Pras did not have to replace the air filter simply because at 4000km, the Verna CRDI does not need a replacement. It does not even need a cleaning. But since Pras' car showed up for service (perhaps due to the 6 months factor), they cleaned it.

Amit, if your car did 10000 km, then a air filter cleaning is of no use if you want long life of the engine. Then you need a replacement. Of course, you also need to replace it to retain warranty. You can very eazily check whether they put in a new air filter by opening a clamp over the air filter. You could also ask the service advisor to show it to you. Generally dealers who care about their reputation will not indulge in malpractice. In a very short term, such malpractices will surface and the dealer will lose more than what he gained. Big and reputer dealers are less likely to indulge in malpractice.

2. Tire rotation as such is free. However, once you change the position of the tires / wheels, they need to be re-aligned and re-balanced. That is not free. I too paid for it during my 2nd free service.

Warm regards,
Sandeep Menon
This is done for free during your service because they take off all your wheel sto clean the brake pads and the brake drums , so when they put back the wheels they rotate them also .

Quote:
Originally Posted by pras.oct25 View Post
amit, i spent the whole day at HMP for my service that day, not cause of the trust factor, but because I had to get that rattling stuff rectified and I wanted the satisfaction of verifying everything myself and knowing exactly what had been done for future reference. If you are having trust issues with your service center then you have 2 potential options - either change to a recommended service center that is trustworthy, or else the next time you go for service, tell them that you would like to stay back and verify the service process. Also, I do think that every part that is a genuine accessory will have some kind of code or product id on it. What you can do is ask them to take out the parts that will be replaced and note down the code on it. Later when you collect your code verify that the code matches with the part that has been replaced. Try not to give them the impression that you dont trust them. Rather show them that you are taking interest in your car and that will make them cooperate more with you.
Personally, I found it rather funny that that fellow didnt know that your car was a diesel?? What kind of a service center services a car without knowing if it is a petrol or a diesel? I suggest that you immediately look for a better service center
Better change to some other H.A.S.S there are serious differences in the way petrol and diesel car needs to be serviced like realiszing that there is something called a fuel pump and that there are no plugs ..
Old 31st March 2009, 02:14   #365
BHPian

Well about my question, anybody thought about changing the steering wheel, I'm definitely going in that direction once I'm back in India.
Old 31st March 2009, 11:36   #366
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Well about my question, anybody thought about changing the steering wheel, I'm definitely going in that direction once I'm back in India.

I havent thought about it myself but will definitely give it a shot next weekend when i go for a routine check up for my car just prior to my drive down to my hometown
Old 27th April 2009, 16:52   #367
BHPian

Thumbs up

Hellstar Sir,

I just found this thread on long term ownership review of Verna and wanted to add my 2 cents worth of ownership review.

I have a soon-to-be (June) 2 year old Verna CRDI with a odo reading of 30K and I must admit that I have thoroughly enjoyed every km that I have clocked on this machine. My FE is about 12 in city and about 15 on highways - the comparitively low city FE can be attributed to the high BTM and Hosur road traffic in Bangalore and highway FE is mostly due to speeds. I drive with AC all the time and all seasons.

I have had almost zero maintenance on her except for oil/air filters and the regular service charges.

I was recently approached by Trident team to opt-in for a extended warranty for 3 years / 80K and I have signed up. They threw in some 20% discount for signing up before end of last fiscal.

I'm writing to find out from you and other fellow Verna Bhpians on the maintenance costs they have incurred for their Verna and how useful have they found this extended warranty to be?

Appreciate all inputs! Certainly an impeccable machine, this!
DirtyHarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2009, 13:57   #368
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyHarry View Post
Hellstar Sir,

I just found this thread on long term ownership review of Verna and wanted to add my 2 cents worth of ownership review.

I have a soon-to-be (June) 2 year old Verna CRDI with a odo reading of 30K and I must admit that I have thoroughly enjoyed every km that I have clocked on this machine. My FE is about 12 in city and about 15 on highways - the comparitively low city FE can be attributed to the high BTM and Hosur road traffic in Bangalore and highway FE is mostly due to speeds. I drive with AC all the time and all seasons.

I have had almost zero maintenance on her except for oil/air filters and the regular service charges.

I was recently approached by Trident team to opt-in for a extended warranty for 3 years / 80K and I have signed up. They threw in some 20% discount for signing up before end of last fiscal.

I'm writing to find out from you and other fellow Verna Bhpians on the maintenance costs they have incurred for their Verna and how useful have they found this extended warranty to be?

Appreciate all inputs! Certainly an impeccable machine, this!
The extended warranty has saved many thousands for me already . i just completed 60,000 KMS and it was after 50K kms that both my front struts were replaced because they were ewak from the constant hammering from the bad roads. My rear shocks have been replaced once, yes for me the extended warranty ahs allready been useful.

Other than that the maintanence has been the normal oil filter , fuel filter and other consumables. At 60,000 KMS my clutch will be replaced and it would have given more life had i not been using the petes box ( atleast that what i think ), i know of a verna which has done 85,000 kms on the odo without a clutch replacement. In bangalore the clutch replacement costs about Rs 14k inclusive of labour , where as the same work in Trivandrum where i checked out will set you back by Rs10K inclusive of labour. if you are able to delay such major work till the annual service camps you get a discount between 20 to 30 percent on spares and labour.
Old 30th April 2009, 16:46   #369
Senior - BHPian

at 60,000 kms the clutch is almost out and my last tank of fuel gave me a extremely low FE - 13kmpl . I am getting my new clutch on saturday will put in a report after that.
Old 4th May 2009, 11:55   #370
BHPian

Default Question re Insurance

My insurance is due for renewal, currently with Bajaj Allianz who's quoted 14,700 with 20% NCB. Reliance out of nowhere calls up & quotes me 13,200 with 20% NCB & another discount of 35% with IDV of 6.48 lakhs while Bajaj has an IDV of 5.9 lakhs.
How is Reliance compared to Bajaj, customer service, claims settlement et al? Or should I consider some other insurer, my renewal date is end of May, so I have some time.
Old 4th May 2009, 13:07   #371
BHPian

Bajaj Allianz is now offering to match Reliance's premium, the representative said he was anyways about to give me the 35% discount. I asked him why wasn't this included in the renewal invite & when I called last week asking for a premium with a higher deductible, he says he was looking into finding out the premium with the higher deductible first & then would have discussed the 35% discount with me & he wanted me to believe it.
Bajaj even is hiking the IDV to 6.4 lakhs as the 20% depreciation on value of the Verna works out to the same, but initially they had quoted only 5.9 lakhs, makes me wonder if this is some sort of an unethical practise. Why quote a lower IDV of 5.9 lakhs first without the 35% discount & then when you inquire, they calculate the IDV correctly at 20% (Im not even sure if the 20% is an accurate depriciation for a 1 year old vehicle) & give you the discount?
Old 4th May 2009, 17:19   #372
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
My insurance is due for renewal, currently with Bajaj Allianz who's quoted 14,700 with 20% NCB. Reliance out of nowhere calls up & quotes me 13,200 with 20% NCB & another discount of 35% with IDV of 6.48 lakhs while Bajaj has an IDV of 5.9 lakhs.
How is Reliance compared to Bajaj, customer service, claims settlement et al? Or should I consider some other insurer, my renewal date is end of May, so I have some time.
OK Santhosh, here is what i do to get the maximum out of insurance.

I call up all the guys TATA AIG, Baja Allianz, reliance, Royal Sundaram and fix and an appoinment telling that you come and meet me on such and such day in my office. Note that i have scheduled for all the guys to come on teh same day . On the eventful day everyone comes in i take them to a discussion room i set my terms IDV = 6.2 lakhs ( yes , you can change that based on your requirement , but thats also got a limit), PA coverage for all 5 passengers at rs 1 Lakhs each, comprehensive insurance for the car with not more than Rs 500 standard deduction when processing claims. Now each of you have quoted these amounts but i will take the one who gives me the lowest premium for my requirment. I am here with the cheque and will issue the cheque to the lowest bidder right now.

Last time around they discussed for about 30 mins and finally the the RS guy gave me the lowest quote for Rs 10K and i took it.

I suggest to get the best deal try this approach ...

And also be prepared with the terminologies and stuff , they will try every trick in their book , read up from the insurance section of TeamBHP

Last edited by hellstar : 4th May 2009 at 17:21.
Old 4th May 2009, 17:45   #373
BHPian

Thanks Hellstar, I will do the same. I checked the online price from ICICI & they came up with 14k with all the regular coverages & the PA for passengers upto 9 lakhs. I will check with Royal Sundaram as well, how is their customer service? Dont hear much of them in the media.
Old 5th May 2009, 00:41   #374
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Hellstar, I will do the same. I checked the online price from ICICI & they came up with 14k with all the regular coverages & the PA for passengers upto 9 lakhs. I will check with Royal Sundaram as well, how is their customer service? Dont hear much of them in the media.
Rs is just starting out so they are giving good offers, and do note that trident Hyundai does no deal with tata aig insurance, you will have to co ordinate personally for all the claim processing steps.
Old 5th May 2009, 23:37   #375
Senior - BHPian

Default 60,000 KMS and a New Clutch.

The last few thousand kms were low FE kms i was running FE figures as low as 13-16 kmpl effects of having an aging clutch i guess.

The 60K service is a mjor service and i was there with my car the whole day for the service and also to keep an eye on the clutch change.

Here is what happened during the service

1. Engine oil change
2. Brake Fluid Change
3. Coolant Change.
4. Air Filter changed
5. Fuel Filter changed
6. oil Filter changed
7. Fuel Tank Air filter changed
8. Front brake pads cleaning and caliper service
9. rear Brake drum cleaning and service.

Total Service cost : Rs 5000.

For the clutch change i made it very explicit that unless i see the fly wheel i am not changing it , i took this stand because the flywheel is the most costliest component of the clutch assembly and costs about Rs10.5 K and under normal conditions this does not get damaged. Luckily the flywheel had not even a single groove on it and was in perfect health inspite of the harsh treatment that i sometimes give the engine.

Cost of clutch change
Clutch Release bearing - Rs 1150
Clutch Cover Assembly - Rs 2357
Clutch Disc Assembly - Rs 3826
Labour Rs 970

Total : Rs 9321 /- inclusive of taxes ..

now thats the same quote i had from trivandrum. I asked why i was given a higher quote earlier , the SA told me that given a chance the master and slave cylinders and even flywheel will be replaced hence the estimate was around Rs 22k.

Here are some pictures i took while the work was being carried out , and it took almost 2 hrs to remove all the components to get to the gear box and the clutch assembly. The technicians tell me that they take an average of about 4-5 hrs for a verna clutch change.

a view of the opened gear box and the fly wheel , the shiny disc that you see inside is the flywheel
Name:  P1040184 Medium.JPG
Views: 3381
Size:  60.5 KB

Hyundai Verna CRDI VGT - Updated at 35k-km,40k-km, 55k-km,60k-km, Plus A Minor Crash-pressure_plates.jpg

Name:  P1040193 Medium.JPG
Views: 3396
Size:  114.3 KB

Name:  clutches.jpg
Views: 4236
Size:  69.2 KB

The gear box being opened and the old clutch assembly being taken out.
Name:  P1040190 Medium.JPG
Views: 4493
Size:  66.0 KB

The gear box from below the car after the transmission oil was drained.
Name:  P1040175 Medium.JPG
Views: 3623
Size:  49.7 KB

View of the inside of the gearbox once the clutch assembly was taken out
Name:  P1040183 Medium.JPG
Views: 3219
Size:  77.1 KB

Name:  P1040194 Medium.JPG
Views: 4172
Size:  113.1 KB

Another view of the flywheel.
Name:  P1040188 Medium.JPG
Views: 3199
Size:  48.5 KB

Somebody was asking about the intercooler of verna ok here is how it looks
Name:  P1040177 Medium.JPG
Views: 3483
Size:  69.2 KB

So far so good the Verna has been more than a 100 horses to me she never skipped a heart beat in those gruelling 60000 kms. Post the clutch change she is back to giving me my usual FE figures 17-18 kmpl in city with AC and 20-25 kmpl on long drives again with the A/C cranked to 50% cooling.

Last edited by hellstar : 5th May 2009 at 23:40.