Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Old 6th May 2009, 16:40   #391
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOTORIOUS View Post
@hellstar

Sir , how do you drive your car. i mean at what rpm you change your gears.

asking because i have vgt Sx with me with 3.5k kmts and the milage is only 10 in city and 14 on highway.
My gear changes come aywhere between 1 to 1.5k Rpm. Before the turbo kicks in , the only time i violate this is when i do that jack rabbit kind of launches from red lights.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitwadhwa View Post
My alto used to get me 15+ in city rush hour traffic and 24 on highways with AC, 100% of the time, so I wouldnt blame my driving skills
I think you may need to change the way you drive , to get higher FE numbers. Correct gears at specified speeds thats good , but the vehicle spends more fuel accleratinng than gradually increasing, it also matter how you reach those speeds .

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShyamSCrdi View Post
Indeed do tell me when all this is going to happen
Sure lets co ordniate a meet ... i hear there is a night drive this friday , why dont you guys join in.

Last edited by hellstar : 6th May 2009 at 16:41.
hellstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2009, 16:44   #392
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellstar View Post
Sure lets co ordniate a meet ... i hear there is a night drive this friday , why dont you guys join in.
Yup! Heard from Raj. I plan to meet too.

Cheers/Shyam
ShyamSCrdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2009, 16:48   #393
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShyamSCrdi View Post
Indeed do tell me when all this is going to happen

@amit and NOTORIUS - the downshifts in diesal also make a lot of difference when it comes to fuel efficiency. On a petrol vehicle at about 35 kmph the car can be driven in the 5th gear. It is not the case in diesal. The best way to sqeeze out the fuel effeciency is to keep the car's rev at about 2000-2500 rpm not less nor more than that and try not to move the feet too much a slight touch is enough to get the car moving and running

Cheers/Shyam

Shyam you are spot on with those points.

Another point is when you start in a petrol you ould take your foot off the clutch and press the accelarator to get the car moving , in my verna the ECU keep the RPM at .8K when idling , i just take my foot of the clutch and the vehicle is in motion.
hellstar is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2009, 21:39   #394
BHPian

Sir the problem is thst whenever i fill diesel upto the brim. the DTE shows 510klmtrs. but doestnt mater how carefiul i drive ,whithin 40 to 50 klmtrs that DTE comes to 440-450 klmtrs. as the car has a fuel tank of 45 ltrs , This automatically translates to 10 to 11 kmpl.
NOTORIOUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2009, 21:52   #395
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOTORIOUS View Post
Sir the problem is thst whenever i fill diesel upto the brim. the DTE shows 510klmtrs. but doestnt mater how carefiul i drive ,whithin 40 to 50 klmtrs that DTE comes to 440-450 klmtrs. as the car has a fuel tank of 45 ltrs , This automatically translates to 10 to 11 kmpl.
hey how do you calculate FE ? use the full tank to full tank method, top up your tank run some distance i would suggest a 100 or so kms and then go back to the same pump and top up again . The amount of diesel that you have topped up now is your consumption. Divide the Distance by your consumption and thats how i calculate my FE. The DTE is more a real time value based on the driving conditions being experienced at the moment.

Preferably fill up till the auto cutoff in the pump cuts off for the first time and ensure that the lever lock is set in the first cut ( slowest rate of fuel dispensing)
Old 7th May 2009, 22:05   #396
BHPian

i use full tank to full tank method and fill the tank upto the brim.
NOTORIOUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2009, 22:29   #397
Senior - BHPian

@Notorious have your tried re-setting your car's ECU ? how many kms have you run till now ? Just give the resetting a try but be sure that after you reset you idle the engine for 15 mins and then drive. If you start driving aggressive again immediately after you have reset your ECU, the ECU will select an aggressive fuel map thereby reducing your mileage. For resetting the ECU just dis connect the -ive terminal of your battery for 10 mins and re connect.
hellstar is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2009, 09:38   #398
BHPian

Hellstar Sir and other Verna owners,

In the last 8-10 months, I have been able to get a FE of only 11-12 in city and 13 on highway.

About a year ago, I used to get ~13 in city and upto 18 on highway. My odo reads 30K and will be 2 years in June.

Let me have her serviced and check the FE.

I suggest we put up a poll in here for Verna owenrs onthe following:
  • Model
  • FE City
  • FE Highway
  • Traffic in City (Very High, Moderate, Low)
  • Speeds in city
  • Speeds on highway
  • Number of drivers for the car (single/multiple)
DirtyHarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2009, 09:50   #399
Senior - BHPian

I hope Getz CRDi qualifies here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyHarry View Post
  • Model - Getz CRDi Peted
  • FE City - 15kmpl
  • FE Highway - 16+ kmpl
  • Daily kms - 120 (approx) - ( 50kms blast on expressway )
  • Traffic in City (Very High, Moderate, Low) - Mixed
  • Speeds in city (Daily) - (100~200kph) thanks to the expressway
  • Speeds on highway - 120kph
  • Number of drivers for the car (Dad/Myself/Driver)
kpzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2009, 11:36   #400
BHPian

• Model - verna vgt crdi sx
  • FE City - 13-15
  • FE Highway - 15+
  • Traffic in City (Very High, Moderate, Low) - (chennai) moderate to high
  • Speeds in city - 100 or so can be easily done on some stretches
  • Speeds on highway - 100 to 170
  • Number of drivers for the car (single/multiple) - single (myself)
pras.oct25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2009, 12:16   #401
BHPian

• Model - Getz CRDi
  • FE City - 15KM/L
  • FE Highway - 18 KM/L
  • Daily kms - 90-100 KM
  • Traffic in City (Very High, Moderate) - Mixed
  • Speeds in city (Daily) - 60~100 KM/H
  • Speeds on highway - 120 ~ 160 KM/H
  • Number of drivers for the car (MYSELF)
I hope we are not hijacking hellstar's thread :P

Cheers/Shyam
ShyamSCrdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2009, 16:22   #402
Senior - BHPian

cmon guys i had the thread running for my ownership experience , well if you need a FE poll why don't we start a new thread ? See as far as i am concerned i have seen vernas returning mileages from 11-27 depending on driving condition , number of passengers in the car , driving style and level of maintenance.

I have also have members on the forum who were returning Fe figures like 11-13 and after some driving behavior modification getting Fe figures like 16- 18 kmpl . even my car gives around 14 -17 kmpl if i hand over the car to my dad to drive , which i rarely do.

Driving style modification is the way to go i belive .
Old 13th May 2009, 16:51   #403
BHPian

Quote:
cmon guys i had the thread running for my ownership experience , well if you need a FE poll why don't we start a new thread ?
Hellstar, your thread seems to be the verna-magnet on tbhp! All verna related discussions seem to end up here no matter how off topic it maybe!
On a more serious note, apologies on behalf of shyam, kp and myself for hijacking your thread. And yes, driving style does matter a lot for the fe, especially considering that the verna requires frequent gear shifts at lower speeds. The fantastic thing about the car, is that the fe always seems to be so good even when you hit crazy high speeds!
pras.oct25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2009, 19:54   #404
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pras.oct25 View Post
Hellstar, your thread seems to be the verna-magnet on tbhp! All verna related discussions seem to end up here no matter how off topic it maybe!
On a more serious note, apologies on behalf of shyam, kp and myself for hijacking your thread. And yes, driving style does matter a lot for the fe, especially considering that the verna requires frequent gear shifts at lower speeds. The fantastic thing about the car, is that the fe always seems to be so good even when you hit crazy high speeds!

hey dude thats ok , no need to apologise and stuff ! no hard feeling dude !

With a car like ours its easy to get carried away .... the rate of gear shifts goes down drastically once the petes box is installed. More so at slower speeds yes the box does push your top speeds up a bit but the main advantages of the box are well reaped at lower speeds due to the increased torque .

oh yeah Getz Crdis are also welcome after all we share the same hearts , dont we ?

But remember that the highest Fe i ever got was 27 kmpl when i drove the car from TVM to bangalore at speeds below 100 kmph during the drive in period.

After that i never did get around to doing that kindda speeds consistantly for long distances c'mon you guys know what i mean , once you slot the gear into the 5th gear and the RPM goes a little over 2000 rpm
9 thats ajust about when you hit the 100 kmph mark ) the turbo starts giving you the juice and then with all that power at your call its just too difficult to maintain RPMs below 3500. Net effect i get lesser FE now a days in comparison to 27 kmpl.

I easily do Bangalore - TVM on one full tank of diesel with enough diesel to spare for roaming around there .

Last edited by hellstar : 13th May 2009 at 19:56.
Old 13th May 2009, 20:40   #405
BHPian

Quote:
OK Santhosh, here is what i do to get the maximum out of insurance.

I call up all the guys TATA AIG, Baja Allianz, reliance, Royal Sundaram and fix and an appoinment telling that you come and meet me on such and such day in my office. Note that i have scheduled for all the guys to come on teh same day . On the eventful day everyone comes in i take them to a discussion room i set my terms IDV = 6.2 lakhs ( yes , you can change that based on your requirement , but thats also got a limit), PA coverage for all 5 passengers at rs 1 Lakhs each, comprehensive insurance for the car with not more than Rs 500 standard deduction when processing claims. Now each of you have quoted these amounts but i will take the one who gives me the lowest premium for my requirment. I am here with the cheque and will issue the cheque to the lowest bidder right now.

Last time around they discussed for about 30 mins and finally the the RS guy gave me the lowest quote for Rs 10K and i took it.

I suggest to get the best deal try this approach ...

And also be prepared with the terminologies and stuff , they will try every trick in their book , read up from the insurance section of TeamBHP
Anup,
Nice tactic yaar , Hope this tactic will work out for my Insurance renewal in next month .
potlaravi is offline   Reply With Quote