Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Old 13th May 2009, 20:53   #406
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by potlaravi View Post
Anup,
Nice tactic yaar , Hope this tactic will work out for my Insurance renewal in next month .

This worked for me like a dream twice , and belive me in the process you also get to see some fun. But make sure the insurance reps are not aware of the other reps coming. and get every thing they offer that you want in writing. As for me the guys were caught totally off guard , thats what lands you a good deal.

All the best and keep us posted on your success..
hellstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2009, 09:57   #407
Senior - BHPian

Here's an update guys , vehicle is now at 62500 KMS and the diesel filter warning lamp refuses to turn off even after cleaning out the tank , yesterday i was in pondicherry and the lamp started again with a eeire glow , not full intensity but still activated.

Took her straight to the Hyundai A.S.S - KUN hyundai on cuddalore Road. the pulled out the pump and found the water sensor on the diesel pump broken and diesel dripping out drop by drop when the engine ie running. Since they did not have a replacement they put the sensor back in and blocked the leakage so that i could get back to chennai , where KUN hyundai has already raised an intend to get the part and will inform me so that i can drive down and get the part installed.

Right now the warning lamp is not glowing and hence the engine is not rev limited to 3000 RPM.

Three things i noticed since i have been in chennai , is
1. No more Smoking !
2. Performance improvement perceived.
3. FE improvement.

I think i attribute both these desirable side effects to the increased density of air in chennai than at Bangalore.

Will update with pictures on the new sensor install. I have been told that the costing is around Rs 800 for the Sensor.
Old 21st July 2009, 17:38   #408
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellstar View Post
Here's an update guys , vehicle is now at 62500 KMS and the diesel filter warning lamp refuses to turn off even after cleaning out the tank
Hellstar, any updates on this?
I also faced the same issue. Fuel filter warning light refused to go off during my Delhi-Mathura drive. Filter was cleaned thoroughly and put back. Since then the light glows once in a while for a few seconds, and goes off.
live2drive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2009, 15:41   #409
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by live2drive View Post
Hellstar, any updates on this?
I also faced the same issue. Fuel filter warning light refused to go off during my Delhi-Mathura drive. Filter was cleaned thoroughly and put back. Since then the light glows once in a while for a few seconds, and goes off.

Sorry pal for the very delayed reponse.

Yes the issue was rectified , there was residual water in the fuel tank , since that was cleaned out some water found its way to the fuel filter , OS it took the car to the A.S.S at pndicherry where due to incompetent workmanship the guy managed break the water sensor in the fuel filter.

Cost of the fuel filter water sensor is Rs 800 , this was replaced after a second round of evacuating the fuel system , by taking everything out , blow drying it and then putting it back.
Old 22nd September 2009, 12:21   #410
BHPian

One has to be really careful on where the car is getting serviced these days.

OT question though, does Verna puff off smoke during sudden acceleration?
I only noticed that yesterday when pulling away from traffic. Otherwise the car is being driven sedatley and rarely any smoke is seen.
Maverick_x1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2009, 10:35   #411
BHPian

Quote:
Sorry pal for the very delayed reponse.

Yes the issue was rectified , there was residual water in the fuel tank , since that was cleaned out some water found its way to the fuel filter , OS it took the car to the A.S.S at pndicherry where due to incompetent workmanship the guy managed break the water sensor in the fuel filter.

Cost of the fuel filter water sensor is Rs 800 , this was replaced after a second round of evacuating the fuel system , by taking everything out , blow drying it and then putting it back.
What did the whole procedure of cleaning the tank and the filter cost you? I hope the water sensor in my case is all right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick_x1 View Post

Yes, it does smoke heavily under hard acceleration.
To reduce the smoke levels, rip the car more often and keep the air filter clean.
live2drive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2009, 12:51   #412
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
One has to be really careful on where the car is getting serviced these days.

I only noticed that yesterday when pulling away from traffic. Otherwise the car is being driven sedatley and rarely any smoke is seen.
Smoke during hard acceleration is normal in TC diesel engines, this should stop once the turbo starts spooling.

Quote:
What did the whole procedure of cleaning the tank and the filter cost you? I hope the water sensor in my case is all right.
Approx 1.5 k

Quote:
To reduce the smoke levels, rip the car more often and keep the air filter clean.
I like this
Old 23rd September 2009, 13:59   #413
Senior - BHPian

Isn't the smoke a byproduct of Premium Diesels? My car never smokes (or I haven't noticed it yet)- and I have never filled in anything but regular Diesels, Shell for most part...
ph03n!x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2009, 17:36   #414
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ph03n!x View Post
Isn't the smoke a byproduct of Premium Diesels? My car never smokes (or I haven't noticed it yet)- and I have never filled in anything but regular Diesels, Shell for most part...

thats good , and also remember that cars would smoke lesser in Chennai than in Bangalore due to the increased density of air. There are several situation where diesel cars would emit smoke , hard acceleration being the most common one.
Old 27th September 2009, 17:58   #415
BHPian

Thumbs up

Quote:
LOL!! good suggestion. had the Air filter replaced as a part of the third service last week. Vehicle is more responsive now

Any idea where we can find the Pete's kit in Bangy?
Maverick_x1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th September 2009, 18:05   #416
Senior - BHPian

Check out this link- Pete's Automotive Products Pvt Limited
ph03n!x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2009, 10:31   #417
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
LOL!! good suggestion. had the Air filter replaced as a part of the third service last week. Vehicle is more responsive now

Any idea where we can find the Pete's kit in Bangy?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ph03n!x View Post

thats correct , but i would still prefer that you give a call to turboindia / peter and have a chat with him before you install or buy .
Old 20th September 2015, 07:50   #418
BHPian

Default Re: Hyundai Verna CRDI VGT - Updated at 35k-km,40k-km, 55k-km,60k-km, Plus A Minor Crash

Quote:
I recently happened to see a particular Red Verna CRDI at Yeshwantpur , Hyundai A.S.S with its reflectors badly damaged due to an improperly installed 130W/110W, thats when i really decided to change the ceramic holders and wiring kits together with the relays.
Hi Hellstar & Others,
Sorry for bumping this old thread. I am having a similar problem with the headlamps on my Verna. The reflector is melt and the small shade inside is discoloured. Previous owner had upgraded the bulbs to 90/100. This had additional relays and wiring added. I am not sure whether holders were updated to ceramic. But melting is happening at the top upper edges of the reflector. There is a slight discoloration of the lens as well. These problems are more on the right lamp which was having a philips 90/100 but less on the left one which was having Osram 90/100.
To be safe I changed back the bulbs to 55/60 rating after buying the car. Can you guys please help me identify the exact reason for this problem.

Thanks in advance!
Biju
Attached Thumbnails
Hyundai Verna CRDI VGT - Updated at 35k-km,40k-km, 55k-km,60k-km, Plus A Minor Crash-rightlampfrontview.jpg  

Hyundai Verna CRDI VGT - Updated at 35k-km,40k-km, 55k-km,60k-km, Plus A Minor Crash-rightlamptopview.jpg  

Hyundai Verna CRDI VGT - Updated at 35k-km,40k-km, 55k-km,60k-km, Plus A Minor Crash-leftlampfrontview.jpg  

Hyundai Verna CRDI VGT - Updated at 35k-km,40k-km, 55k-km,60k-km, Plus A Minor Crash-leftlamptopview.jpg  

bijubalan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th September 2015, 23:10   #419
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Hyundai Verna CRDI VGT - Updated at 35k-km,40k-km, 55k-km,60k-km, Plus A Minor Crash

Quote:
Originally Posted by bijubalan View Post
Hi Hellstar & Others,
Sorry for bumping this old thread. I am having a similar problem with the headlamps on my Verna. The reflector is melt and the small shade inside is discoloured. Previous owner had upgraded the bulbs to 90/100. This had additional relays and wiring added. I am not sure whether holders were updated to ceramic. But melting is happening at the top upper edges of the reflector. There is a slight discoloration of the lens as well. These problems are more on the right lamp which was having a philips 90/100 but less on the left one which was having Osram 90/100.
To be safe I changed back the bulbs to 55/60 rating after buying the car. Can you guys please help me identify the exact reason for this problem.

Thanks in advance!
Biju

Wow , that one hell of a bump !!!

Ok , from the images , i see that the damage is already done , no amount of reworking can correct this. Couple of things could cause this .

While i was running 130/110 W bulbs i never used to keep the hibeam on in stop and go traffic. The 130 W high beam was always reserved for the deserving and the regular highway and nandi hill runs. In city traffic there is no airflow cooling the headlights from the additional heat generated by the upgraded bulbs. The verna engine also tends to get headed pretty soon. It is probable that the previous owner did a lot of miles in stop and go traffic with the high beams on causing this extreme damage. In my seven years with this vehicle i have never had the reflector melt , i only had some fading of the glasses, that's after about 6-7 years of very rough use.

Upgrading to ceramic holders will only save the holders , it will not affect the reflector.

I would recommend that you change the headlight set , this would set you back by about Rs 7K at the HYUNDAI A.S.S.

Please please buy bulbs only from trusted sources , there are a load of fakes in the market , which could be one of the reasons for the extreme heating.

The verna needs a headlight upgrade if you are doing highway runs in the night so , if the previous owner has installed the relay and wiring kit do get it checked and retain if its from a good brand and if it is in good condition.

if you need to talk do drop me a PM and we can take it from there ...
Old 22nd September 2015, 16:43   #420
BHPian

Quote:
It is probable that the previous owner did a lot of miles in stop and go traffic with the high beams on causing this extreme damage.
I think you are making lot of sense. I have also observed that he had adjusted the beam such that high beam is very low (screws inside the hood). Highly probable that he did not want to switch back and forth and always kept in high beam. I guess he might have also used some after market headlamp assembly if he had replaced which could not take the beating.

Quote:
I would recommend that you change the headlight set , this would set you back by about Rs 7K at the HYUNDAI A.S.S.
Is this price for one set or both? I think I will retain the left one and change the right one. What do you think?

Quote:
Please please buy bulbs only from trusted sources , there are a load of fakes in the market , which could be one of the reasons for the extreme heating. The verna needs a headlight upgrade if you are doing highway runs in the night so , if the previous owner has installed the relay and wiring kit do get it checked and retain if its from a good brand and if it is in good condition.
Immediately after buying car I bought a pair of Osram Nightbreaker unlimited . The brightness and beam strength is better but could not judge correctly due to the unconventional beam setup previous owner maintained. Need to update that too and check again.

Will all these things in anyways affect the beam adjustment motor. Somehow I feel the motion is minimal or nill.

Quote:
if you need to talk do drop me a PM and we can take it from there ...
Thank you! I will do that.

Last edited by bijubalan : 22nd September 2015 at 16:45. Reason: Typing error
bijubalan is offline   Reply With Quote