Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Old 22nd January 2008, 19:49   #106
BHPian

Default Suspension upgrades

Hi Guys,

Upgraded from a Accent Viva CRDI to the Verna CRDI SX in Sept.07. Clocked around 5600kms - which includes couple of blasts from Blr to Chennai & back. 170 - 180 figures are a breeze but the ride gets unsettled on hard braking, just as the other team members mentioned.

Have upgraded to 195/65 Bridgestone potenza GIII's on 14" league alloys, with 33 psi tyre pressure after which their has been a decent improvement on the handling & braking but still regret not picking up the ABS version.

has anyone done upgrades on the suspension - coil over springs for better stiffness, damping, front strut stabliser bar...

All said and done the power on tap and the addictive VGT is just too good.
sats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2008, 00:54   #107
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sats View Post
has anyone done upgrades on the suspension - coil over springs for better stiffness, damping, front strut stabliser bar...
I think hellstar, the long term report thread owner(lest we forget it!), was mentioning that Petes guys are working on the Verna suspension here

Why don't you PM TurboIndia(Peter of Petes) for details?
tadukuttan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2008, 07:54   #108
BHPian

guys!! dont ruin the car by working on the suspension!!. its after years of research and testing that the current suspension setting has been set!!. its what is suited for our pothole filled roads!! .

working on the suspension will lead to problems in the car axle and chassi!! .
what is goin on ??

its best to leave the car as it is. otherwise you guys are asking for trouble.

the ECC team . Engineering services, Chassis Control here in bosch , has given me a strict warning against all such modifications when i wanted to do some suspension works on my old car.

do you guys know that working on the suspension will alter even braking effectiveness, control and most importantly Crash Behaviour!! .
the current generation cars for eg:
Accent, Verna, Getz, santro, i10 etc. are designed in such a way that on impact or a crash be it any side , the vehicle takes the maximum impact and very minimal impact is sent into the cabin were passengers are seated!!. altering the supension setup can result in unexpected behaviour of crumble zone!! meaning if an accident happens the cabin might be getting a huge impact and the body will be less damaged!!.
why ask for such serious trouble!!..
sameel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2008, 08:59   #109
Distinguished - BHPian

sats; if I remember right Hellstar's said that newer Verna's suspension was reworked by Hyundai. He got this info from a Hyundai engineer.
jkdas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2008, 09:11   #110
BHPian

Great to hear rave reviews about Verna - I am going to be a Verna buyer soon (after being badly cheated by Skoda). Planning SX ABS CRDi version with tyres upgraded to 195 / 65 and adding leather interiors.

Will post my experience and pics soon!

Cheers
diffsoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2008, 09:16   #111
BHPian

yes thats right!!. my verna is much better compared to the test drive verna in MGF it was confirmed to me by the service guys. the initial lot had a very smooth setup but the current ones have a more stiff setup.
no wonder the service manager told us to wait for atleast 6 months after the launch before we buy a car.
amd yes i am waiting on his instructions to get the getz CRDi with ABS and fully loaded too. will be in range of 6.25 lakhs.. but i am cool with it.
gonna trade in my old accent DLS.. non CRDI diesel. and get this babe!!
and yes those who still complain about handling . try the getz CRDi which will be available by march and be satisfied . wait till june and you will get the top end diesel getz with and without ABS. and yes the ABS model will most probably have all four discs!! then we are talking. and yes better to put in 195/55 R15 rubber also.
Old 23rd January 2008, 12:55   #112
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
sats; if I remember right Hellstar's said that newer Verna's suspension was reworked by Hyundai. He got this info from a Hyundai engineer.
The suspension sure has been reworked for good , but sadly my car is part of the initial batches and have to live with a soft suspension. I think Pete's has already come out with a solution for the verna suspension . I also hear that the new suspension from Pete's would bring down the GC of the Verna. Now this is something which i do not want to do at all . The Good GC of the car has helped me ride over a lot of bad road and terrain , i do not absolutely want to compromise on the GC of my verna !
hellstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2008, 12:57   #113
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellstar View Post
The suspension sure has been reworked for good , but sadly my car is part of the initial batches and have to live with a soft suspension. I think Pete's has already come out with a solution for the verna suspension . I also hear that the new suspension from Pete's would bring down the GC of the Verna. Now this is something which i do not want to do at all . The Good GC of the car has helped me ride over a lot of bad road and terrain , i do not absolutely want to compromise on the GC of my verna !
it might bring down the gc but it would stiffen it a bi meaning that your car still woudnt scrape any bumps. find out from peter for more info.
Akshay1234 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2008, 13:42   #114
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sameel View Post
@vid6639
no there is a log entry into the eprom which doesnt get erased when the battery is disconnected . its only accesible if you have a ECU specific diagnostic unit.
A bit , but I wondered if they still use EEPROM. All micro-controller these days have on chip FLASH memory.
Ajay_J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2008, 14:13   #115
Senior - BHPian

hey hell star,which is your alloy size.if you upsize the alloy that can give you atleast an inch advantage if you go for petes suspension.
sameel-ultimately after throwing a fire ball at all petes guys you wanted to prove that the modern engines are built to absorb more than what they are intended to .great stuff buddy.
ram
ram_hyundai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2008, 15:20   #116
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram_hyundai View Post
hey hell star,which is your alloy size.if you upsize the alloy that can give you atleast an inch advantage if you go for petes suspension.

ram
My Alloys are R14 6J . I plan to upsize my tyres to 195/65/R14 , i will need to do that in a couple of months ! that by itself will raise the GC by 4mm but lets see the numbers from Turboindia
hellstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2008, 18:08   #117
Senior - BHPian

hey hell star it would be fine if you change the stock shocks,i can suggest one more option,get in touch with hyundaiA.S.S.and ask them to shange shocks as it was giving you a bumpy ride under waranty.it is possible and iam going to try that way out.i had done it for a elantra before.
ram
ram_hyundai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2008, 09:30   #118
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajay_J View Post
A bit , but I wondered if they still use EEPROM. All micro-controller these days have on chip FLASH memory.
yes FLASH is used now a days but for error log entry EEPROM is used.
Old 27th January 2008, 18:21   #119
BHPian

Default Verna - Suspension work

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
Hi JKDas,

Mine was of the batch of Sept'07, so do not know on the setup on the '08 models. Plus also this batch batch had a issue of the car pulling to the left side, which Hyundai acknowledged that it was problem with few cars and they changed the left strut and suspension bolts and after 6 visits to the Advaith, they were able to get the issue sorted out and the car is running true now.

I also checked out the availability of front strut braces for the Verna, on my recent US trip but it was available only for the two door version. Just like Hellstar said, would like to see a good suspension setup with the right geomentry minus the lessening of the ground clearance.

Lining up for a trip to Madurai & back first week of Feb'08, lets see if after the suspension retune by Advaith, how my verna behaves on the high speed streches.

Thanks
sats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2008, 21:21   #120
Team-BHP Support

sats- how would it matter whether the strut brace was for the 2 door or 4 door?
Akshay1234 is online now   Reply With Quote