Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Old 27th January 2008, 21:39   #121
BHPian

After following this conversation, I still cannot resist the pete's box. A small car with 130 bhp is too good to resist.

BTW, I am still waiting for my Getz Crdi. :( . The colour I have chosen is Midnight grey. Today I saw a petrol Getz in that colour. Looked very nice. I was in Marina beach the car rolled by and I was gawking at it.

Sammel> Thanks for your explanations. Was very illuminating. Do you have any idea about the relative sulphur content of the diesel fuel brands in India.?
rrnsss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2008, 21:54   #122
Senior - BHPian

rrnnss,small car with a jet engie is also available.first try the car for atleast 5000 kms and if you feel that its a kids game to control that power think of petes.it usually would turn out to be the other way.and more over like hell star told suspension ,brakes and all have to be upgraded.

ram
ram_hyundai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2008, 08:15   #123
Awaiting Email Confirmation

he
Quote:
Originally Posted by ram_hyundai View Post
rrnnss,small car with a jet engie is also available.first try the car for atleast 5000 kms and if you feel that its a kids game to control that power think of petes.it usually would turn out to be the other way.and more over like hell star told suspension ,brakes and all have to be upgraded.

ram
the stock verna with a 110 bhp is not out of control. why should the getz be difficult? it handles better.

things to watch out for while using these engines.

torque steer- even in a perfectly aligned car, during hard acceleration the car will pull to a particular side. if you are used to it, you can compensate for it with little corrections on the steering wheel.

lift off oversteer- if pushing hard on the ghats, mid corner lift off from the throttle, especially going downhill, will cause the rear to become unsettled.

never had any serious problems so far with the verna or the pete'd DDiS

but its good to be aware of what will happen if you push too hard in front wheel drive cars with more than regular amounts of torque.

ram- there is never a situation where there is too much power

all that power gets to the wheels only if our right foot is pushed down. if one thinks there is too much power, all one has to do is, ease off the throttle-NOT change the car!

@rrnss- get the getz! and pete it!!!
rippergeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2008, 17:18   #124
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rippergeo View Post

things to watch out for while using these engines.

torque steer- even in a perfectly aligned car, during hard acceleration the car will pull to a particular side. if you are used to it, you can compensate for it with little corrections on the steering wheel.

lift off oversteer- if pushing hard on the ghats, mid corner lift off from the throttle, especially going downhill, will cause the rear to become unsettled.

ram- there is never a situation where there is too much power

all that power gets to the wheels only if our right foot is pushed down. if one thinks there is too much power, all one has to do is, ease off the throttle-NOT change the car!

@rrnss- get the getz! and pete it!!!

I perfectly agree with rippergoe on this the effect of having lots of trouque at your reckoning can also be a troublesome fact sometimes , and very scary for the novice , when he might just floor the accelerator as he would have done in his previous car only to see that wheels spins crazily and the vehicle moves rapidly to one side

@rrnss - we are all waiting for the Peted getz !
hellstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2008, 11:38   #125
BHPian

Anoop,Dunno how I missed this thread. Congrats on the 2 gifts that you have showered on your baby. Particularly the Pete's. That kind of torque does get addictive, and if you have high grip soft compound tires, you will run through them a lot faster Vijay
prabhuav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2008, 17:21   #126
Senior - BHPian

hey ripper -i dint mean that we dont have the right foot to control the torque but its whether you require the additional torque after peting in a getz.the car is really powerfull for our roads.thats why i adviced him to do about 5000 kms and get setteled with the car and then go for petes if required.its basically the requirement not the plain go for it attitude.
ram
Old 4th February 2008, 21:58   #127
BHPian

Default Front Strut Brace

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
sats- how would it matter whether the strut brace was for the 2 door or 4 door?
I guess due to the type of struts used in the petrol version & the suspension geomentary between the 2 & 4 door version differs plus the left hand drive Vs. right hand drive steering gear...
sats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2008, 13:43   #128
Senior - BHPian

35,000 KMS Update....

Took the car for a regular check up , and with complaint of the rear shocks not being effective.....

both shocks had gone for a toss, i had suspected this for some time but my fears were put to rest by Tadu during out last Friday's night drive to Mulbagal, CCD.

Neverthless , the vehicle was promptly attended to by the hyundai A.S.S and the defective parts were replaced free of cost. The vehicle is back and perfect in every sense. Had removed the Pete's before giving for serivce need to put that back in for tomorrow . Yep again i am on a trip to the foothills of Nilgiris - Masinagudi

Mileage during the Weekend Night drive was 24 KMPL without the Petes box. So thats stable now but now there seems to be a increased level of smoke when the Petes Box is added.

Did my PUC check from Trivandrum , when i was there last month mid, i actually forgot to take off the Pete's before doing that but the results came out surprisingly well and vehicle was issued the PUC ....

The car now seems to have settled down a lot after the new rear shocks and is much more manageable now.....

Last edited by hellstar : 7th March 2008 at 13:51.
Old 7th March 2008, 14:54   #129
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellstar View Post
35,000 KMS Update....

Neverthless , the vehicle was promptly attended to by the hyundai A.S.S and the defective parts were replaced free of cost. The vehicle is back and perfect in every sense. Had removed the Pete's before giving for serivce need to put that back in for tomorrow . Yep again i am on a trip to the foothills of Nilgiris - Masinagudi

Mileage during the Weekend Night drive was 24 KMPL without the Petes box. So thats stable now but now there seems to be a increased level of smoke when the Petes Box is added.

Did my PUC check from Trivandrum , when i was there last month mid, i actually forgot to take off the Pete's before doing that but the results came out surprisingly well and vehicle was issued the PUC ....

The car now seems to have settled down a lot after the new rear shocks
So the drive was without pete's. How badly did you miss it?
jkdas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2008, 15:56   #130
Senior - BHPian

Any difference in handling compared to when the car was new.I had a discussion with one of the service guys regarding this.How did you know that the shocks were gone.Any specific sounds ?
ram
Old 7th March 2008, 16:40   #131
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
So the drive was without pete's. How badly did you miss it?
very very very badly

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram_hyundai View Post
Any difference in handling compared to when the car was new.I had a discussion with one of the service guys regarding this.How did you know that the shocks were gone.Any specific sounds ?
ram
Handling has improved its really noticeable . I initially noticed it because once when i parked near another verna parked in my office basement i found that my cars rear part to be slightly more depressed and lately the car has also been scrapping on humps which i used to clear without a murmur earlier. There was some noise for the rear suspension some scraping kind of sound but very feeble , did not notice until the service advisor showed me the damaged ones
Old 7th March 2008, 17:36   #132
Senior - BHPian

Great going hellstar and i loved the review by you. What kind of job your in. You seem to be on the road always. Of late started loving the verna and i dont know why. Even though i didnt drive or travel in this car. Feel like getting myself one. Well i got to control for a while though.
Well i will be waiting for the 50000 kms report in a month buddy

Sameel that was a great discussion you started off. Learnt quite a bit and confused myself too.
maddy42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2008, 18:06   #133
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddy42 View Post
Great going hellstar and i loved the review by you. What kind of job your in. You seem to be on the road always.
Sameel that was a great discussion you started off. Learnt quite a bit and confused myself too.
Thank you Maddy , Thats what i love to do , drive drive and drive more ...being on the road at most time is one of the advantages of working as a Software Engineer - QA in a European Product Based company which gives you 30 Days of privileage leaves a year .....

But 50,000 KMS is a a pretty high target and am pretty sure i am not gonna meet it unless i do the Leh Road trip that i am planning for in June / July ..... he hehe

Yep , Sameel sure did make some ripples...and gave us all a lot of info... dicusssion like these are what makes our forum so interesting ...
Old 7th March 2008, 23:26   #134
BHPian

I have been driving a Peted Verna the last eight months ,and was among the first few to buy the box from Peter. I have driven about 11k kms now and the box was fixed when the odo read about 2k kms. The box makes a huge difference in power delivery making the car more driveable and of course the loads of torque at lower revs . There is virtually no turbo lag.The addition of a K&N filter made a very noticeable difference and is a must have if the car is peted! The tyres are 195/60 section and with discs on all four wheels being the ABS version is confidence inspiring at high speeds.I drive in the hills almost every month as does Peter to see our sons who study in the same school and we have no problems driving in the ghats. Peter however drives a higher spec Remapped Laura! However i envy Hellstar as my verna gives an avereage of just 14kmpl as compared to his 25kmpl.Prior to K&N i used to get 13kmpl!
wildcard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2008, 23:42   #135
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildcard View Post
However i envy Hellstar as my verna gives an avereage of just 14kmpl as compared to his 25kmpl.Prior to K&N i used to get 13kmpl!
That's quiet a big difference. Why so? I don't think it is just because of driving habits. Or is it?

@Wildcard. It's been long since You've posted something here. Nice to see you back.
speedzak is offline   Reply With Quote