Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Old 20th September 2007, 14:12   #1
Senior - BHPian

Smile Hyundai Verna CRDI VGT - Updated at 35k-km,40k-km, 55k-km,60k-km, Plus A Minor Crash

I bought my Hyundai Verna VGT CRDI from Trivandrum, Kerala in December 2006, and since then it has traveled over 22000 KMS with me.

ICE: Sony MEX R1 DVD Head Unit coupled with JBL Rear 6xs9 Speakers and Alpine three way co axial on the front doors and Sony Xplod Tweeters
Tyres : Stock 195/75/R14
Alloy : 5.5J H&R
Headlamps : Upgraded to 130W/100W Philips Rally Bulbs with ceramic Holders and Relay from Roots
Insurance : New India Assurance
Horns : Pair of Roots VibroMax

Three major incidents that i ran into during this tenure

1. Major accident involving a fatality i have posted the details at the below thread
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street...-accident.html

2. Transmission issue - 5th gear making noise when being engaged, Hyundai A.S.S replaced this for me after some emails and phone calls, but very promptly.Here is a picture of my damaged tranny ! The fifth gear synchronizer's ring was the culprit

3. Excessive noise from Turbo - replaced / rectified by Hyundai A.S.S in a day

The car used to return me very high mileage ( +24KMPL) during my initial days with the car because I was treating her sedately i.e. no RPMS above 2.5K , but after the initial run in period , I really started to get very aggressive and mileage dropped. In city FE turned out to be between 17KMPL and 19 KMPL where as highways FE was always 20+KMPL. These figures hold good even today. So I am very satisfied there. Please note that all FE figures are with AC turned on and at about 50% - 75% cooling. Overall mileage till date is just above 19 KMPL (total distance / total diesel).

Offtopic:I am using a small free software for tracking my vehicle's running cost , you can find the software ( MyCar Monitor) at SimADCom Site

After the work on the transmission an increase in the in-cabin NVH level was perceived, got this checked out with Hyundai A.S.S but then they could not find anything. But the noise was still there. So did my own stuff rolled up my sleeves and found that some guy had pulled out one of those rubber thingies used to separate the engine bay from the passenger compartment, where the wires go in and out. Took the car straight away to the A.S.S and get a new one set up so the noise is gone now!

I still regret having not opted for the ABS version, coz stopping the car from a speed of 140 +kmph requires nerves of steel. She loses composure at high speeds in excess of 140KMPH on broken road surface, but have pushed her to 180 Kmph on my last weekend drive to Chennai and she is well behaved as long as the roads are dead straight . It’s a different story when it comes to curves and fragmented road surfaces. I am expecting that I can work on my suspensions to make the vehicle more stable before i "Pete" my ride. Other wise it will be sheer suicide!

One annoying thing that I do find is that the windshield sprinklers are three jet on each side and very often these lose alignment resulting in the discerning biker standing next to me or even behind me at a signal to get drenched in detergent solution, especially when it’s drizzling and a lot of muck get on the windshield.

On my recent drive to Trivandrum I also noticed that the headlamps sometimes gets so clogged with this muck that almost every 70-100 Kms you have to get down and wipe the headlamp glass clean, to ensure that the headlamps are functioning, dunno whether this is an issue which most cars run into but I haven't faced this on my alto till date. The headlamp washers from Octavia could do wonders here ...

The OEM Headlamps ( 65W/55W) do not address the requirements of long distance driving especially during the night or in rain , I would recommend that all Verna owners do this upgrade , but with the proper components like ceramic holders and relays. I have upgraded to (130W/110W) Philips Rally Bulbs. I am also looking at upgrading to a HID but with proper projector setup, but sadly I could not find any dealer/individual who stocks after market HID Projector setup for the Verna.

The front seats are very comfy for me and all my passengers till date, but the rear seems to be a bit too bouncy especially when compared to the Accent ride quality. Here is a picture of my car at Nandi Hills taken on 1st September 2007 @ 0845 Hrs

All my three free services are over and my warranty has been extended for three years yes Hyundai has stopped giving 4th year Extended Warranty on it diesel cars and in the meanwhile have increased the mileage to 80,000 KMS. Overall I am very happy about the service back up and the running costs of the vehicle and its performance. Although the resolution of the stability issue at high speeds could have made the car and much better package. Even so, it’s not everyday that you push your car to speeds in excess of 140 KMPH.

Be warned that the Whistling of the turbo turning on and the sudden acceleration that hits you beyond the 1.8K RPM mark is very addictive and sometimes a bit scary for the first time user.

Last edited by hellstar : 20th September 2007 at 14:16. Reason: Typo corrections
hellstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th September 2007, 14:18   #2
Senior - BHPian

Thats a very well written report, hell star. Hyundai quality is surely going down, even with the Verna being slightly overpriced IMO how can Hyundai have such poor quality, its not only your car but Sam's car had axle issues.

Anyways do you plan to pete is? A peted Verna is mighty crazy, 130bhp, 270NM or so, is surely insane
BUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th September 2007, 14:29   #3
Senior - BHPian

@ BUSA I am planning to get it Petefied but not unless i do something for the suspensions, otherwise its really crazy i Agree, the car simply does not inspire any confidence especially when driving beyond 140KMPH.

I believe that my issue with the Synchronizer and Sams Axle issues are isolated cases, primarily because we took the car pretty much when they release the car to the Indian market. Now majority of these issues have been ironed out and the cars coming out now seems to be having a smooth time .

And I believe that most of the issues in my case like the turbo being noisy or the NVH in the cabin increasing were noticed only because i keeping looking out for such miniscule stuff coz i love my car. i can comfortably say that 75% of other car users would not have perceived any difference at all, and would have continued using the car.
Old 20th September 2007, 14:38   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Good review.
22k in 8months. 19kmpl !180kmph!

those 195 were stock or upgrade?
Where did you source the bulbs and ceramic holders? Didnt you add a relay and new wiring?
jkdas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th September 2007, 14:49   #5
Senior - BHPian

I couldnt agree more with Busa

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUSA View Post
Thats a very well written report, hell star. Hyundai quality is surely going down, even with the Verna being slightly overpriced IMO how can Hyundai have such poor quality, its not only your car but Sam's car had axle issues.

Anyways do you plan to pete is? A peted Verna is mighty crazy, 130bhp, 270NM or so, is surely insane
I would never upgrade my stock bulbs/relay unless someone directly from philips can install it. You can never trust these road side electricians.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
Good review.
22k in 8months. 19kmpl !180kmph!

Where did you source the bulbs and ceramic holders? Didnt you add a relay and new wiring?
dadu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th September 2007, 15:36   #6
Senior - BHPian

Actually i got the bulbs from PHILIPS since i work for them !

The Relay , ceramic holders and associated wiring which comes as a kit and was brought from a roots authorized dealer (chennai) and installed at trivandum, by Hyundai A.S.S. Thats how i tried by best to ensure that i had only genuine parts in my car. I had initially got it done at a place called "Car Palace " in Tvm but has serious doubts about the quality of the parts hence got it replaced.

I recently happened to see a particular Red Verna CRDI at Yeshwantpur , Hyundai A.S.S with its reflectors badly damaged due to an improperly installed 130W/110W, thats when i really decided to change the ceramic holders and wiring kits together with the relays.

@Jkdas - 180 KMPH is really scary , and I do mean it when i say that i am sure that i will not push my car to such a speed unless i do something about the suspension especially the rear part !. But the accelerator still had juice left in it before i backed off the accelerator for i saw couple of stupid bikers coming on the wrong side of the road , and remember this was barricaded section of the six lane Krishnagiri - Chennai GQ Road.
Old 20th September 2007, 15:49   #7
Senior - BHPian

NICE REVIEW FOR YOUR 100th POST - Great review. Good car this is. Tell me one thing, If you opt for ABS - then do you get all 4 disc brakes ? Right ? I was not sure. Cheers !!
vkochar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th September 2007, 15:50   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post

Oops , thats a typo the tyres are stock and have not been upgraded they are stock MRF tyres 175/70/R14

@ Jkdas thnx for point that one out !

Last edited by hellstar : 20th September 2007 at 15:52.
Old 20th September 2007, 15:53   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vkochar View Post
If you opt for ABS - then do you get all 4 disc brakes ? Right ? I was not sure.
Yes thats confirmed , If you opt for ABS you get Disc Brakes on all four wheels !
Old 20th September 2007, 15:53   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Tell me one thing, If you opt for ABS - then do you get all 4 disc brakes ? Right ? I was not sure. Cheers !!
Yup.

Quote:
BUSA I am planning to get it Petefied but not unless i do something for the suspensions
Actually hellstar Petes is not about top speed, its about the torque, the car pulls crazily and the driveability increase by a long shot.

About the suspension i would suggest go to Psycho and the bad suspension will be history. Get bigger tyres and struts upfront and rear will help the handling a bit.
Old 20th September 2007, 16:01   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Actually hellstar Petes is not about top speed, its about the torque, the car pulls crazily and the driveability increase by a long shot.
Yes, i know that, actually i did talk to TURBOINDIA over the phone and wanted to get a test drive at Cochin when i went home last month but could not make it , will decide once i get the test drive. And yes he was also suggesting that the driveability is what will primarily improve rather than looking at a higher top speed.

Quote:
About the suspension i would suggest go to Psycho and the bad suspension will be history. Get bigger tyres and struts upfront and rear will help the handling a bit.
Yep, i should do that i guess, thnx for the pointers
Old 20th September 2007, 16:04   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
And yes he was also suggesting that the driveability is what will primarily improve rather than looking at a higher top speed.
Bingo, thats what i was told and trust me you wont be dissapointed, once i installed the Petes box the car is so much more nippier and the driveability is just awesome.
Old 22nd September 2007, 15:50   #13
BHPian

Great review hellstar! The upgrade to 130/100w must be a great help for night driving. Great FE figures too you get!

Your review just tempted me to grab one Verna CRDi VGT but with 4 wheel discs and ABS!

Clean looking car and great picture.. Silver car with foggy scenery!

I loved the last sentence you said..
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellstar
Be warned that the Whistling of the turbo turning on and the sudden acceleration that hits you beyond the 1.8K RPM mark is very addictive and sometimes a bit scary for the first time user.
cya
A
Absar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2007, 23:18   #14
Senior - BHPian

Nice Review. The car looks lovely in the mist..which is the place? i am also from kerala.
Hyundai should do something about suspension..what is the use of power if it does not inspire confidence.
PatienceWins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2007, 23:21   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellstar View Post
Yes thats confirmed , If you opt for ABS you get Disc Brakes on all four wheels !
I doubt if any Verna model has disc brakes on all four wheels.
kpzen is offline   Reply With Quote