Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Old 5th June 2008, 09:54   #136
BHPian

I find most of the service advisors to be unprofessional and they lack knowledge about the product they have sold and servicing.

My advisor had no idea about service light not getting off, started the car without waiting for lights to go off.

It irritates me so much that I dont want to get car serviced from Maruti Authorised Service Centre, But can't help it.
horsepower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th June 2008, 10:00   #137
Team-BHP Support

Also, are you getting your brake pads cleaned and checked ?

And please enquire about which engine oil they use.
Eddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th June 2008, 10:29   #138
BHPian

Brake pads cleaning and checking must be a part 20k service schedule prepared by Maruti.

He said, they use shell engine oil, which comes directly from Maruti.

He did not take my service booklet too, said it is not needed. He will fill it up when I come to collect my car. If I want to leave it I can, it will be deposited in the office and filled up after the car has been serviced. I had this Idea that they carry out all check as mentioned in the service booklet on the floor and fill it there itself.

Last edited by horsepower : 5th June 2008 at 10:31.
Old 5th June 2008, 14:09   #139
BHPian

Hi Guys,

Wanted your advice.

My vdi has done 15500 , i got it last serviced at 10000 kms and as per service booklet next service is due at 20000.
I am thinking to get it serviced much sooner . what is recommended??
how much your car has run before it went for 4th service???

Please help

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by horsepower View Post
Brake pads cleaning and checking must be a part 20k service schedule prepared by Maruti.

He said, they use shell engine oil, which comes directly from Maruti.

He did not take my service booklet too, said it is not needed. He will fill it up when I come to collect my car. If I want to leave it I can, it will be deposited in the office and filled up after the car has been serviced. I had this Idea that they carry out all check as mentioned in the service booklet on the floor and fill it there itself.
autozoniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th June 2008, 15:36   #140
BHPian

I have completed 19700 kms, before the service light refused to go off. So, I took it to MASS.

20,000 kms is maruti recommended period.
Old 5th June 2008, 15:43   #141
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by autozoniac View Post
Hi Guys,

Wanted your advice.

My vdi has done 15500 , i got it last serviced at 10000 kms and as per service booklet next service is due at 20000.
I am thinking to get it serviced much sooner . what is recommended??
how much your car has run before it went for 4th service???

Please help

Thanks
I got a service done at 15k kms which included washing, wheel rotation, engine oil change and filter change along with cleaning of the air filter.

Will go for my 20K service as soon as I reach there. Maruti recommends every 10k. However, i choose to do a small service every 5k
Old 5th June 2008, 18:01   #142
BHPian

Default Service bill

20k kms, Service Bill for Swift Ldi.
Attached Thumbnails
Swift Diesel VDI (ABS) - 6 Years & 1.55 Lakh Kms-scan0004.jpg  

Old 6th June 2008, 01:49   #143
Senior - BHPian

Horsepower - What's item 19 about?
iraghava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2008, 02:56   #144
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sriturl View Post
Today I filled up full tank for the first time, and put the got air checked, and set it to 35/32 Front/Rear as opposed to recommended 36/33 on the car.(hot summer, air expansion theory)

After the fuel fill, I somehow got a feeling that the pull which I was experiencing yesterday was not there today. Extra weight??? or tyre pressure?

Quote:
Originally Posted by s0uljah View Post
35/32 Tyre pressure boss.

Due to the engineering the full tank weight makes a negligible difference.

For example 30/32 gives you the drifting advantage

Just to say at least in the petrol swift with a low tank of fuel its always peppier , astonishing but a very noticeable difference.
cyneverdie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2008, 07:23   #145
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iraghava View Post
Horsepower - What's item 19 about?
Hi! Ishan, I complained about strut's making sound whenever I braked hard. So, they opened them and replaced items 12 and 13. 19 is labour charged to carry out the work.
Old 6th June 2008, 13:22   #146
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by horsepower View Post
Hi! Ishan, I complained about strut's making sound whenever I braked hard. So, they opened them and replaced items 12 and 13. 19 is labour charged to carry out the work.

it should be covered under waranty right???
why have they charged you for it??
Also isnt 20000 kms service a free one??
autozoniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2008, 15:10   #147
Team-BHP Support

Do i get the feeling that service was a tad expensive?
What do you feel guys?
benbsb29 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2008, 16:27   #148
BANNED

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu
Missed this post, hope it was solved and nothing major. reverse i can understand if its lil tight, but not first gear. can be a synchronizer issue.
Thanks for this information , no this issue is still to be settled , i am planning to take it to service station this week end and ensure that this gets done. Last time i was told by the service mechanic that this issue is due to the high position of my seat ( i had added a foam sheet to get a better view of the road)
Kool_Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2008, 20:18   #149
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by autozoniac View Post
it should be covered under waranty right???
why have they charged you for it??
Also isnt 20000 kms service a free one??
No, Its a Rubber part, so not covered under warranty.
20,000 km is 4th and paid service.

Quote:
Do i get the feeling that service was a tad expensive?
What do you feel guys?
It is expensive. I was told prices have come down, as earlier only a diesel filter alone costed 3500.
Old 26th June 2008, 12:55   #150
Team-BHP Support

Thumbs up 20,000 Km. Fourth Service.

20,000 kms done in a little over 8 months. Just thankful that I decided to go for a diesel car, and a fantastic one at that.

The car still drives like a dream, touchwood.

The Car: Well, it has been absolutely trouble free till date so do not have too much to discuss here except that I got my first puncture. Actually had observed the air pressure dropping often in one tyre. Will get it fixed on the weekend, I thought. Conveniently forgot about it on the weekend. As expected, it went flat on a Monday morning. And to prove that Murphy's law is correct, it was raining very heavily and had an important meeting in office. Could not find a mechanic so had to do the honours myself and reached office a little late.

Anyways, coming back to the car. I think it is currently in its best period of running and the engine has opened up. The pick-up and the handling remains excellent and I have been feeding her IOC regular diesel. Also used a bottle of System D between 12k and 17k on the odo with good results. Planning to do the same from 22k onwards.

Some figures to share with you:
- Average FE without AC----- 22
- Average FE with AC:------- 20
- Total Fuel Cost ---------31429
- Total Service Cost ------ 9818
- Total Distance ---------20487
- Cost per km ------------2.01

Above figures for some good driving conditions, but within the NCR. The only rattle I hear till date is the rear MDF tray which will need some fixing. Otherwise no major rattles. Just two major(?) complaints:

1- The wipers have started streaking so will have to replace them with some good ones. Any suggestions? Bosch I hear is hard to find.

2- The tyres have this annoying and stupid habit of picking up pebbles which get caught between the treads and increase the road noise. Stupid tyres. Can't wait to get to 40k so that my heart can convince my mind to change them.

Coming to the 20k service experience.

Flashback: I bought the car from a smallish dealer called FairDeal cars which was about 35kms from my place. Did that because it was easy for my MUL friend to arrange for a VDI ABS to be made available immediately (normal waiting periosd was 6 months). When it came to servicing, I decided to try them out since I assumed that it would not be as crowded as the popular ones and that would mean personalized attention.

fotunately that was the case and I had absolutely no regrets going to them for service. Also the fact that they used Mobil engine oil, which I learnt is pretty good, increased my confidence in them. But the fact that they did not have much experience with diesel cars also left me wondering if they would be capable enough to handle more complicated tasks. With this in mind, I called some of the more popular dealers (DD, Competent) etc. None of them agreed to change the diesel filter element and insisted that the entire assembly would change costing about 3.5k. On the other hand, FairDeal agreed to change only the filter element and that too without me insisting on it. The decsion was made. I would go to them only. Called up the head supervisor a day before and confirmed the availability of all oils and filters. The fact that he now remembers me by name and can actually recall minor details about the car (probably because I am the only nut to drive 40 km for a service and he probably appreciates it) gave me a lot of confidence.

Service Experience: I reach the station at 9.30. Was attended in ten minutes because an MUL guy was addressing the entire staff. The job card was made. Got the following things done: Oil and filter change, air filter change, break oil change, gear oil change, coolant change, diesel filter change, tyre rotation (no balancing etc. will get that done from outside).

They also flushed the engine even though I was not sure whether to go ahead with it or not. I had read on the forum somewhere about a newish Palio's break pads wearing out so decided to get mine checked. They looked fine and were cleaned.

After the servicing was done and I had payed up Rs 5213, I sat in the car, inserted the keys and waited for the service light to go off and then crank the car. Waiting. Still Waiting. The service indication light did not go off. I was scared and started regretting my decision to come to this service station. I feared that this thing might now be out of their scope of handling.

Anyways, ran back inside the service center and explained my problem to the supervisor. He came out with his detector machine (don't know what its called), plugged it in and within seconds the problem was diagnosed as a sensor near the air filter which had to be reconfigured because the battery was disconnected during the service. It was done and everything was normal. Did not have the time and patience to get more details as it was already 3 pm.

Breathed a sigh of relief after checking the service indication light a couple of times.

All in all, a good experience with FairDeal Servicing.

The positives:

- Individual attention to the car
- I personally stood with the car through the entire service procedure so no chance of them not changing oil/filter but billing it to me.
- Fantastic Washing and cleaning before and after the service. 10/10 for this.
- No labour charges
- My next service will be free (labour charges).

The negatives:

- They take their own sweet time to do things. This may be due to the lack of rush of cars.
- No work happens between 1 to 1:45 pm. For some strange reason, the ENTIRE staff goes for lunch simultaneously.

Will put up a copy of the bill soon.