Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Old 7th July 2009, 12:21   #271
Distinguished - BHPian

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
- Upgrade the headlights. On a trial basis, have to pick up a set of bulbs from a lazy bum called Phamilyman.
Abbey oye!

Black pot calling kettle black!!

Whose to blame if you finish work at 530pm, and are home by 8pm, which is when people who actually work, start back?

And enough of all of that. Just change the stupid relay and put the bulbs. it's quite apparent.

Or shall we have a Quick Meat next weekend - for a headlight shootout!?!
phamilyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2009, 12:58   #272
Team-BHP Support

Lets do a headlight shoot in Dwarka. Plenty of unlit dark places for better judgement
Eddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st July 2009, 22:59   #273
Team-BHP Support

Got the tyres changed today at 52,960 kms.

Yokohama A-Drives, 185/70 for 3000 bucks each including buyback of stock tyres. Done at T-mart Gurgaon.
Old 31st July 2009, 23:11   #274
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Got the tyres changed today at 52,960 kms.

Yokohama A-Drives, 185/70 for 3000 bucks each including buyback of stock tyres. Done at T-mart Gurgaon.

Buy back after 53000 kms ???
kpzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st August 2009, 00:34   #275
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpzen View Post

Buy back after 53000 kms ???
+1

Too much. How much did the tyre dealer value the 53k kms used tyres ?
Fountainheader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st August 2009, 10:37   #276
Team-BHP Support

Arre baba!! It was the discount cum buyback of 200 bucks a piece
Old 1st August 2009, 15:50   #277
Team-BHP Support

Just got myself a new set of number plates, the old ones had the background sticker peeling off. Got them for 350 bucks from Karol Bagh.

Initially had thought of getting the high security ones, but considering the state my bumper is in, I thought its best to keep it for afterwards when I get it repaired/ replaced.
Old 28th August 2009, 13:11   #278
Team-BHP Support

The vehicle has now clocked 55,200 kms. Just back from an oil & filter change.

Have finished my stock of Delo400 with todays change. Will now look to procure the same oil if available
Old 19th February 2010, 17:07   #279
BHPian

Hi Got my VDI and upgraded my tiers to MC energy 185/70 R 14 after reading the reviews in Team BHP.
But now my steering feels really tight and stiff at low speeds, is there some thing i can do about it or should I just learn to live with it?
raghavanrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2010, 17:27   #280
Distinguished - BHPian

Oye the real Lazy bum - status aur thread update karo
phamilyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2010, 14:54   #281
Team-BHP Support

Finally, the report after a long time. And a bitter sweet one at that

Let me start with some statistics upfront before I pen down my subjective review:

Time: 2.5 years
Odo Reading: 72,000 kms
Spend on Diesel: Rs 1, 15,403
Spend on Regular Servicing: Rs 31,265 (Oil and filter Change every 5k kms instead of recommended 10k kms)
Spend on Tyres: Rs 12,000
Spend on Accidental Repairs: Rs 8,000
Spend on Part Replacement: Rs 6,600
Spend on Insurance: Approx 19,000

Avg FE: 20.3

Running Costs (Including all of the above expenses): Rs 2.66 per km

Now with that out of the way, let me put down my thoughts on owning this Maruti wonder for some, and blunder for others. Mine has been a mixed bag vehicle

Starting with some history, the past year has seen me drive about 2400 kms a month, mainly on conditions which have been extreme. The very nicely laid NH8 and the horrible & potholed city roads (Ratio 80:20).

Seeing my regular drives, I forsee the car doing close to 1.25-1.4 Lakh kms in the 5 years (duration of my loan). Its imperative that the car lasts that long and hence I have been religiously changing engine oil and oil filter every 5000 kms and

The last 20 odd thousand kms have been bittersweet including one breakdown. Points to note:

- FE without AC is 20.x and with AC is 18.x-19.x. Overall acceptable figures but have relatively come down, especially with the AC on. Can’t understand what could be the reason for this. The AC noise has increased too.

- The car drives very well. However, the NVH levels have gone up significantly. Don’t think that can be helped though.

- The clutch master cylinder developed a leak at 55k kms and was replaced under extended warranty by Competent Motors. This after Apra Motors was insisting that the part was not covered under extended warranty. Took my chance with Competent, and it turned out well.

- One of my OE tyres was out of service for the past 10k kms by virtue of a couple sidewall punctures and was used as a spare only. And one fine day, another tyre gave up and seeing the wear and tear, I got the tyres changed to Yokohama A Drive185s at 53 kms. Got a decent deal of 3k per tyre at T-Mart, Gurgaon.

Now comes the major grouse which has left me with a bad taste in terms of the build quality of the car and the so called Maruti service:

One fine day, the car has its first breakdown. Please check the detailed thread here

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techn...h-shudder.html

Now the entire clutch assembly was replaced including the clutch plates, pressure plates, flywheel (all paid since the car was past 55k kms) and the bearing (under extended warranty).

The problem was caused by the spring in the release bearing being broken. The clutch did not show abnormal wear and tear, so incorrect usage can be ruled out. Also, there was no slippage whatsoever. Post this, there is a slight judder sometimes when the car starts from stationary in the first gear, but I have learnt to live with it.

Small Mishap:

In January this year, brother was driving the car. There was an emergency braking situation when he could not brake in time and the car rammed into an Esteem in the front. Bhai was safe. Front bumper, one headlight, air filter assembly, radiator etc wre damaged. Total bill came to about 39k, out of which I had to pay 7800.

70k Servicing and EGR Cleaning:

This was done at Galaxy motors, in Tilak Nagar (West Delhi). I had purchased insurance through them so had a free service plus wheel alighnment & balancing coupon. EGR was removed and cleaned. Takes about 4 hours and MASS charge Rs 1250 as labour.

Current Areas of Concern:

- The suspension looks to have taken a beating. I could detect a minor leak in one of the front shockers. I think I may just go in for a complete overhaul. Any idea how much will this cost ? Any after market stuff available, since spares for the Swift are the most expensive in the segment ?
- The tachometer behaves erratically. Has a mind of its own, shows very low readings. Is this because of anytrouble with some sensor ? This has been happening for more than a month.
- Today morning, the service light refused to turn off before I cranked the engine, but turned off after the start. Gotta get that checked out now.
Overall, I am reasonable happy with the car but can’t say I am thrilled because of pre mature failure of clutch, suspension, tachometer and all.

My main focus now is to ensure that the car runs till 1.5 lakh kms. Any pointers as to what steps to take now or in the near future to make sure it lasts ?

Last edited by Eddy : 8th April 2010 at 16:03.
Old 8th April 2010, 16:00   #282
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
My main focus now is to ensure that the car runs till 1.5 lakh kms. Any pointers as to what steps to take now or in the near future to make sure it lasts ?
Drive more and try reaching that milestone withing next year.

72k kms in 2.5 years is a lot of driving man, considering that u don't like doing highway drives.
kpzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2010, 16:01   #283
Team-BHP Support

Yeah, and what do I do of the HDFC loan ? ;p

Well, I did go to Agra once
Old 10th April 2010, 11:53   #284
Senior - BHPian

72k kms is just a lot of travelling !

i have done 26k in about 17 month.But i have my cousin who took the car in nov 2009 and has done 30k kms till date

Man, i really dont know how he drives so much
joshguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2010, 12:52   #285
Team-BHP Support

Reason for those figures: My daily office commute is about 70 kms in total. Add 10kms daily for a trip to drop off my brother.