Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 22nd October 2010, 19:26   #301
Senior - BHPian
 
humyum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Leicester/Mumbai
Posts: 2,306
Thanked: 2,188 Times
Default

No worries at all. After I went to UK last year October. My dad used the car only for 1600 km in 9 months and sometime for months it used to not move from a place. No problem anywhere. Enjoy
humyum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2010, 19:29   #302
Team-BHP Support
 
Jaggu's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 17,752
Thanked: 7,477 Times
Default

There is nothing like diesel car should be used more theory with a modern vehicle. Search for the relevant topic discussing long term parking and follow the basic do's and dont's and you should be fine.
Jaggu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2010, 23:15   #303
BHPian
 
stnair's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Calicut
Posts: 230
Thanked: 5 Times
Default

@Jaggu, Thanks for the reply..So you mean to say even i can go for diesel even if the usage is only around 2000 kilometers a month ( for 9 months in a year) + only around 500 kilometers for the other 3 months of the year?
stnair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2010, 23:37   #304
Team-BHP Support
 
Eddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Delhi
Posts: 7,402
Thanked: 4,680 Times
Default

3 months of idling is not an issue, if done correctly.

Relevant thread - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...dos-donts.html (Long-term Parking: Do's and Don'ts)

But, you can opt for a diesel car for a variety of reasons.

For Economy alone - And 20k is just about diesel territory if you ask me.

Relevant threads

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...vs-diesel.html (The financial Truth: Petrol vs Diesel)
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...er-petrol.html (Would you still buy a Diesel car if Diesel was priced closer to Petrol?)

For other factors
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...uy-diesel.html (Why did you buy a diesel?)
Eddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2010, 00:27   #305
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Thad E Ginathom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Chennai
Posts: 7,847
Thanked: 7,246 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by stnair View Post
@Jaggu, Thanks for the reply..So you mean to say even i can go for diesel even if the usage is only around 2000 kilometers a month ( for 9 months in a year) + only around 500 kilometers for the other 3 months of the year?
I only 5,000km a year. makes no economic sense at all to have a diesel, but I like it. The low usage is certainly no problem to the engine.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2010, 14:03   #306
BHPian
 
stnair's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Calicut
Posts: 230
Thanked: 5 Times
Default

Thanks @Eddy and @Thad E Ginathom, Thanks for all the replies

I am going for diesel itself. I am a big diesel fan mainly coz its fun to drive. Indus motors guy only told me that its better not to go for diesel if it will idled for 3 months..

I saw the new swift at Romford Suzuki, London. Looks amazing with excellent interiors (especially the seats). BUT the boot space looks very less. Swift old model is sold along with the new model in the UK now (mainly Swift Sports and SZ4 version). the diesel version will be released only next year here..
stnair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th November 2010, 23:46   #307
BHPian
 
revved_up's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 689
Thanked: 210 Times
Default

Hey Eddy, saw that you recently changed the battery in your car. Can you tell me where you got it from and how is it performing? My battery is also on it's last legs and i also need to change. I am being quoted around 5.8k for Amaron DIN 66 battery.

One shop has also recommended a Panasonic DIN61 battery for 5k, any idea how are these batteries? It comes with a 2+2 warranty though.

Last edited by revved_up : 13th November 2010 at 23:48.
revved_up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th December 2010, 19:08   #308
Team-BHP Support
 
Eddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Delhi
Posts: 7,402
Thanked: 4,680 Times
Default re: Swift Diesel VDI (ABS) - 4.5 Years & 1.3 Lakh Kms

Quote:
Originally Posted by revved_up View Post
Hey Eddy, saw that you recently changed the battery in your car. Can you tell me where you got it from and how is it performing? My battery is also on it's last legs and i also need to change. I am being quoted around 5.8k for Amaron DIN 66 battery.

One shop has also recommended a Panasonic DIN61 battery for 5k, any idea how are these batteries? It comes with a 2+2 warranty though.
Oye, just saw your message.. I was told that Amaron DIN 66 would not fit the swift diesel and would have to buy the DIN74 which was close to 7k. Chose to stay away.

Have taken a chance and gone with Base Terminal for 4.5k after exchange. Comes with a 2+2 warranty, though the "+2" is actually worthless since its a discount on the MRP which is way high than the actual selling price. But that will be the case with any battery co I guess.

Jaggu told me that BT and Panasonic are partners or something, I dont remember exactly
Eddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th December 2010, 08:54   #309
Senior - BHPian
 
DieselFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,570
Thanked: 233 Times
Default re: Swift Diesel VDI (ABS) - 4.5 Years & 1.3 Lakh Kms

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
Have taken a chance and gone with Base Terminal for 4.5k after exchange. Comes with a 2+2 warranty, though the "+2" is actually worthless since its a discount on the MRP which is way high than the actual selling price. But that will be the case with any battery co I guess.
I have changed my car battery 3 months back to base terminal battery and am happy with it so far. I also use base terminal tubular batteries for my UPS. I have been using the same for last 6 months and have had no issues so far. good decision
DieselFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2011, 12:29   #310
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 158
Thanked: 60 Times
Default re: Swift Diesel VDI (ABS) - 4.5 Years & 1.3 Lakh Kms

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
Oye, just saw your message.. I was told that Amaron DIN 66 would not fit the swift diesel and would have to buy the DIN74 which was close to 7k. Chose to stay away.

Have taken a chance and gone with Base Terminal for 4.5k after exchange. Comes with a 2+2 warranty, though the "+2" is actually worthless since its a discount on the MRP which is way high than the actual selling price. But that will be the case with any battery co I guess.

Jaggu told me that BT and Panasonic are partners or something, I dont remember exactly
Eddy

My Swift D is due for battery replacement soon, inquired about the Base Terminal batteries, apparently only the DIN66 will fit in the Swift, where as for Amaron the DIN 74 will fit. any idea why the discrepancy? also what is the difference in the two batteries?

I have been given a Quote for the Base Terminal DIN66 -7156, and DIN 74 - 7756. with a old battery discount for 400?

thanks in advance
siddharthdeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2011, 12:36   #311
Team-BHP Support
 
Eddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Delhi
Posts: 7,402
Thanked: 4,680 Times
Default re: Swift Diesel VDI (ABS) - 4.5 Years & 1.3 Lakh Kms

I think the Amaron doesn't come in DIN66, or does it ?

Anyways, you have been quoted a very high price for the BT batteries. I am PMing you a number that I got from Milind on the forum. He is a BT fellow and will help you get a lower quote.
Eddy is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2011, 23:53   #312
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Gandhidham
Posts: 68
Thanked: 53 Times
Default re: Swift Diesel VDI (ABS) - 4.5 Years & 1.3 Lakh Kms

I just replaced my Swift's battery last week with an Amaron Go Din 66. Its a perfect fit. Cost me Rs.5500/- after old battery exchange for Rs.600. Doing nice till date. It comes with 18+18 assurance. Didn't want to spend more as I do not have plans to keep the car for more than next two years. :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
I think the Amaron doesn't come in DIN66, or does it ?

Anyways, you have been quoted a very high price for the BT batteries. I am PMing you a number that I got from Milind on the forum. He is a BT fellow and will help you get a lower quote.
mrohit17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th June 2011, 13:32   #313
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Delhi
Posts: 36
Thanked: 5 Times
Default re: Swift Diesel VDI (ABS) - 4.5 Years & 1.3 Lakh Kms

Hi Eddy

Could you please share the contact details of the battery guy from whom you purchased your BT battery.

My vdi started showing service light and water sediment light from today morning. So took it to Service centre and they told me that its a battery issue. After checking the battery the figures came out to be 12.52 v on idle and 48% capacity.

I checked the price of BT din 65 from Delhi office of BT and they told me the price will be 5800.

Let me know if it is possible to get it through the contact you have.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
I think the Amaron doesn't come in DIN66, or does it ?

Anyways, you have been quoted a very high price for the BT batteries. I am PMing you a number that I got from Milind on the forum. He is a BT fellow and will help you get a lower quote.
deeps79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th June 2011, 14:55   #314
Team-BHP Support
 
Eddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Delhi
Posts: 7,402
Thanked: 4,680 Times
Default re: Swift Diesel VDI (ABS) - 4.5 Years & 1.3 Lakh Kms

Deeps, I have sent the contact details via the email account linked to team-bhp. Best of luck
Eddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2012, 12:30   #315
Team-BHP Support
 
Eddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Delhi
Posts: 7,402
Thanked: 4,680 Times
Default re: Swift Diesel VDI (ABS) - 4.5 Years & 1.3 Lakh Kms

4.5 Years & 1.3 Lakh Kms.

All four dampers, link rods, tie rod ends, shocker mounts, "chimtas" were replaced between 1.1 & 1.3 lakh kilometres.

Car was also shod with new tyres (Goodyear) at about 1.1k. My previos Yokos served me well for about 55k kms.

Some quick figures:

Total Kms = 1.3 Lakh
Total Expense on Diesel = Rs 2.3 Lakh
Total Maintenance Expenses = 1.37 Lakh (Includes third set of tyres, battery, suspension overhaul and all services & insurance)
Total Amount of diesel consumed = 6587

Average FE ~ 19.3
Eddy is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Maruti Swift VDI (2008)-2.5 years, 2 lakh kms, 2000 temples, 24 states & counting GSMINC Long-Term Ownership Reviews 58 28th April 2015 14:25
300,000 kms in 7.5 years on my Esteem Diesel. EDIT: Sold @ 3.4 Lakh kms benzinblut Long-Term Ownership Reviews 72 8th March 2014 01:54
Ownersip report of my new Swift VDI - 5 years & 78,500 kms update joshguy Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 56 11th October 2013 22:56
Peted Swift VDi ABS 10000kms Review. EDIT : Updated to 20,000 kms BUSA Long-Term Ownership Reviews 52 7th August 2009 16:20


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 12:08.

Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks