Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Old 16th October 2012, 10:31   #316
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Swift Diesel VDI (ABS) - 4.5 Years & 1.3 Lakh Kms

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
4.5 Years & 1.3 Lakh Kms.

All four dampers, link rods, tie rod ends, shocker mounts, "chimtas" were replaced between 1.1 & 1.3 lakh kilometres.

Car was also shod with new tyres (Goodyear) at about 1.1k. My previos Yokos served me well for about 55k kms.

Some quick figures:

Total Kms = 1.3 Lakh
Total Expense on Diesel = Rs 2.3 Lakh
Total Maintenance Expenses = 1.37 Lakh (Includes third set of tyres, battery, suspension overhaul and all services & insurance)
Total Amount of diesel consumed = 6587

Average FE ~ 19.3
Are you still running on stock clutch ?

Do you plan to retain the car till 2L Kms or planning to upgrade Duster 85PS ?
F150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th October 2012, 10:35   #317
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by F150 View Post
Are you still running on stock clutch ?

Do you plan to retain the car till 2L Kms or planning to upgrade Duster 85PS ?
I changed the OEM clutch at 55,000 kms due to a manufacturing defect. It was partially covered under extended warranty.

Will decide about a change after March & 1.5 Lakh kms.
Eddy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2012, 21:44   #318
BHPian

Default Re: Swift Diesel VDI (ABS) - 4.5 Years & 1.3 Lakh Kms review

Hey Eddy, where did you get the suspension job done.

I am looking for someone to check my Swift's suspension for second thoughts, its completed 76K kms.
invincible7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th October 2012, 22:25   #319
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I changed the OEM clutch at 55,000 kms due to a manufacturing defect. It was partially covered under extended warranty.

Will decide about a change after March & 1.5 Lakh kms.
Dear EDDY,

My swift has done 62000kms as on date ,but from the time I upgraded the tyres to 185 I feel that ride is hard and suspension is hard.Any idea on that?

Also when should I be looking at overhauling the suspensions?
joshguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th October 2012, 17:49   #320
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshguy

Dear EDDY,

My swift has done 62000kms as on date ,but from the time I upgraded the tyres to 185 I feel that ride is hard and suspension is hard.Any idea on that?

Also when should I be looking at overhauling the suspensions?
If you drive on good roads, no need to overhaul it at this point. Usually this is done when there is a sound from the suspension.

I had my first suspension overhaul @ 55K kms and its due for a second overhaul (bush change) at 78K kms (in just 1 year) due to the bad roads the car is traversing now a days.
swiftnfurious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th October 2012, 17:55   #321
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious

If you drive on good roads, no need to overhaul it at this point. Usually this is done when there is a sound from the suspension.

I had my first suspension overhaul @ 55K kms and its due for a second overhaul (bush change) at 78K kms (in just 1 year) due to the bad roads the car is traversing now a days.
What does over hauling involve ?
What's the total cost ?
Old 29th October 2012, 23:22   #322
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by F150

What does over hauling involve ?
What's the total cost ?
Not sure of the technical details, but they said they dismantle the entire suspension & replace the bushes. I was quoted around 2000 for the bushes & labor. And this is for the front alone.
swiftnfurious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th December 2012, 11:31   #323
BHPian

Hi All,

I own a 2006 Swift Vxi and have already clocked 72k kilometers on it. I am currently running on 205/55 R16 tries with lenso alloys. Off late there is a lot rattling noise coming from the suspensions. When I got the car inspected at a local garage they said that the suspensions need to be changed. The mechanic quoted 7k for over hauling the front suspensions and changing the damaged parts. He quoted about 3k for changing the rear shocks. I needed advice on weather to get rid of the old suspensions and go for new suspensions or just get them repaired cosidering the age of the car. It would of great help if you guys could help me with the approximate cost involved in upgrading to any of the after market options.

Thanks
Skrules
skrules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th December 2012, 12:48   #324
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by skrules View Post
Hi All,

I own a 2006 Swift Vxi and have already clocked 72k kilometers on it. I am currently running on 205/55 R16 tries with lenso alloys. Off late there is a lot rattling noise coming from the suspensions. When I got the car inspected at a local garage they said that the suspensions need to be changed. The mechanic quoted 7k for over hauling the front suspensions and changing the damaged parts. He quoted about 3k for changing the rear shocks. I needed advice on weather to get rid of the old suspensions and go for new suspensions or just get them repaired cosidering the age of the car. It would of great help if you guys could help me with the approximate cost involved in upgrading to any of the after market options.

Thanks
Skrules
I don't own a Swift, but, a Santro Xing & one of my front shock-absorber was leaking oil. Got it changed (around 1.5 years back) for Rs.2800 (genuine spare). So, your front suspension cost seems OK to me.

You may take the quote from couple of more places as a matter of being sure on this estimate.
CARDEEP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th December 2012, 12:53   #325
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by skrules View Post
Hi All,

Thanks
Skrules
Overhauls for such an old suspension is of no use. Mechanic will say he will overhaul and try his best and result wont be satisfactory. You will end paying for overhaul and again for the new suspension.

Stock suspension is not too costly. It should cost some where in the region of 20 - 25 K and your suspension will be brand new.
Old 18th September 2013, 00:27   #326
Team-BHP Support

AC Issue

When I got my car serviced about three months ago, I wanted the AC filter cleaned, or changed, depending on its condition. Now this is one part I was not aware of earlier and to the best of my knowledge had not been serviced before.

To my surprise, when I removed the glove compartment to gain access to the filter - it was not there at all. Now I do not know whether

1. It was taken out by the MASS sometime - maybe when I left my car overnight at a MASS twice.
  2. Was it ever there in a Swift diesel 2007 model. Can any fellow owner confirm it ?
Anyways, since the car is now serviced at an FSG, i procured an after market AC filter and placed it. It fit well.

In the next couple of days, I drove through heavy rains and lotsa slush. OVer time, the AC effectiveness started reducing. And the primary reason was that the blower intensity was reduced significantly. Speed 4 was lower than Speed 1 of earlier.

So I took the car to the car wash guy and and asked him to pressure wash the engine bay and the condensor / radiator area in particular. I also got the AC filter from the dash removed. And the AC blower was fixed - the blower speed and hence the AC cooling became normal. I don't know what fixed it - the cleaning or the filter removal.

In hindsight, I should have followed both steps one by one to know the source. And I have misplaced the filter.

So now the question is : -
  • Is it ok to run the car without the AC filter ?
  • Did the Swift VDI 2007 ever come with one ?
  • If I do put in a new filter, and the blower problem crops up again - what next ? Getting the cooling coils cleaned ? That will be 2-3k of an expense I guess.

Also, the AC compressor is a lot noisier than before. Any solution there ?
Old 18th September 2013, 01:31   #327
Distinguished - BHPian

Congrats for the 1.3L kms in your Swift VDi.

Even I am in the same mileage point as your car is in. I have just done 1L kms in 2.9 years. Will be giving the car for service tomorrow.

Quote:
When I got my car serviced about three months ago, I wanted the AC filter cleaned, or changed, depending on its condition. Now this is one part I was not aware of earlier and to the best of my knowledge had not been serviced before.

To my surprise, when I removed the glove compartment to gain access to the filter - it was not there at all. Now I do not know whether
Can you post a few pictures of the location of the AC filter? I also want to check for my Ritz.

Quote:
In the next couple of days, I drove through heavy rains and lotsa slush. Over time, the AC effectiveness started reducing. And the primary reason was that the blower intensity was reduced significantly. Speed 4 was lower than Speed 1 of earlier.

So I took the car to the car wash guy and and asked him to pressure wash the engine bay and the condenser / radiator area in particular. I also got the AC filter from the dash removed. And the AC blower was fixed - the blower speed and hence the AC cooling became normal. I don't know what fixed it - the cleaning or the filter removal.
May be the slush/moisture would have blocked the AC from working properly so the reduced efficiency in blower speed that you were feeling.

But is it advisable to get the engine bay pressure washed? Never done it in my car so asking?

Quote:
So now the question is :[*]Is it ok to run the car without the AC filter ?
I guess there would be lot of dust in the air duct an the blower would get lower cooling efficiency due t lack of filter as dust would not get trapped.

Anurag.
a4anurag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th September 2013, 11:27   #328
Team-BHP Support

Default Re: Swift Diesel VDI (ABS) - 4.5 Years & 1.3 Lakh Kms - Edit: Need help on an AC Issu

The pressure was was focused more on the condensor & radiator area after the car had cooled down so it was ok.

The AC filter is right behind the glove compartment and is accesible when the glovecompartment is removed. Will take a pic soon.
Old 18th September 2013, 11:37   #329
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
AC Issue

1. It was taken out by the MASS sometime - maybe when I left my car overnight at a MASS twice.
  2. Was it ever there in a Swift diesel 2007 model. Can any fellow owner confirm it ?
Anyways, since the car is now serviced at an FSG, i procured an after market AC filter and placed it. It fit well.

In the next couple of days, I drove through heavy rains and lotsa slush. OVer time, the AC effectiveness started reducing. And the primary reason was that the blower intensity was reduced significantly. Speed 4 was lower than Speed 1 of earlier.

So I took the car to the car wash guy and and asked him to pressure wash the engine bay and the condensor / radiator area in particular. I also got the AC filter from the dash removed. And the AC blower was fixed - the blower speed and hence the AC cooling became normal. I don't know what fixed it - the cleaning or the filter removal.

In hindsight, I should have followed both steps one by one to know the source. And I have misplaced the filter.

So now the question is : -
  • Is it ok to run the car without the AC filter ?
  • Did the Swift VDI 2007 ever come with one ?
  • If I do put in a new filter, and the blower problem crops up again - what next ? Getting the cooling coils cleaned ? That will be 2-3k of an expense I guess.

Eddy, even my Swift D which is a 2008 does not have an AC filter. NO sweat at all. Have not touched the AC ever since I got the car. Don't fix the filter, its fine.

Yep AC servicing is like 3 grand at the MASS. Did you check the belt by any chance, if that's making the noise and not the compressor ?

Easy way to check--> Swift on the AC, pour water on the belt. If the noise goes away, its the belt, if it does not, its the compressor.
humyum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th September 2013, 11:44   #330
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Swift Diesel VDI (ABS) - 4.5 Years & 1.3 Lakh Kms - Edit: Need help on an AC Issu

The filter is used in recirculation mode. All indian cars including the ritz does not have it. The filter can be bought from ASS and can cost almost 800 rs. All euro spec cars does have that filter.

Last edited by govigov : 18th September 2013 at 11:57.
govigov is offline   Reply With Quote