Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Old 16th December 2008, 05:01   #256
BHPian

Hey guys i have a problem here, i think some valet guy spoiled my left mirror, it does not open and close when i use the switch, the right one is working fine, thou left mirror i can adjust the mirror movement.. do i need new one or it can be repaired ? please help
jeetu4444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th December 2008, 08:06   #257
Senior - BHPian

Looks like the motor which controls the mirror is dead. I don't think the A.S.S. will let you repair it. Replacement is INR 8K odd I believe. You can try an independent garage if you don't want to replace it.
ImmortalZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th December 2008, 18:10   #258
BHPian

Default Braking problems in AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanchits View Post
guys...have a weird issue in my civic....or is it? its regarding breaking suddenly at high speeds like 170 or above. guys, not driving rash or anything but just testing the capabilities of civic at empty and wide roads. ok, now back to the question, whenever i brake at these speeds....and just before coming to standstill, the revs almost redline. i mean it reaches between 5k - 7k. there is no problem with the breaks, they are fantastic, to say the least. this has started happening recently, never noticed this earlier, or i never used to take it at such speeds because it was in its first year. so is it normal or something wrong ?

I have never experienced such rev-problems in my AT, but when I brake at high speeds, the whole car vibrates/rattles. (No, it is not the ABS). The service people are unable to help me.
manim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th December 2008, 15:15   #259
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sha View Post
Its just today my civic completed 2 years. had changed tyres at 37k and upgraded to from 195 to 205. wheel alignment is must every 5k for civic if driven on potholes highways, i forget once to do my whel alignment otherwise it should last 40-45k.
will post later about service costs I need to check whether still i have bills. 40k service costed me around 4.5k thats major service done at 40k. 50k costed me around 9k not changed any parts it includes cleaning my interiors fully which i should have done outside, not at authorized service station.
Sha, have you noticed any mileage drop after you upgraded to 205? Have you gone in for 205 65 R15 or 205 60 R15? I'm contemplating an upgrade.
dinu2506 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th December 2008, 15:47   #260
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manim View Post
I have never experienced such rev-problems in my AT, but when I brake at high speeds, the whole car vibrates/rattles. (No, it is not the ABS). The service people are unable to help me.
Get your brake discs and pads checked. They might have uneven wear which might cause rattles when breaking.
Old 17th December 2008, 20:14   #261
Senior - BHPian

AT discs will wear out faster. I've been asked to replace mine in another 3 to 4K kms. I've done 20K. The service guy said that high speed breaking and driving in the AT will wear out the discs faster.

Do you see big concentric lines in the front discs? Also the pads will also wear out faster. Ask how thick the pads are now. Costs around 5K per set for a wheel.
csentil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th December 2008, 20:21   #262
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid6639 View Post
Is it an automatic? If it is then the AT box might be downshifting to prevent stalling when suddenly braking. It should be more prominent in sports mode.

So just before stopping the box might be going to first causing the revs to rise.
It's a manual transmission,anybody knows why is this happening?
sanchits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th December 2008, 20:35   #263
Senior - BHPian

You can try resetting your ECU. You might want to go to a Honda service center, take the head technician in your car and show him your problem. If you won't take the most experienced guy and take the pain of actually showing him this problem, they will try to wash their hands off saying things like "Its Honda feature sir!".
Old 4th January 2009, 14:40   #264

Default Handling speed breakers

As most Civic owners would testify, with a full load of car (4/5 pax), the rear bottoms out on most large speed breakers. A friend suggested me to go over the speedbreaker at an angle and it does seem to reduce the bottoming even a 11 o clock angle. Has anyone tried it and is this a standard practice?

-Sudhir
Pseud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2009, 16:09   #265
BHPian

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pseud View Post
As most Civic owners would testify, with a full load of car (4/5 pax), the rear bottoms out on most large speed breakers. A friend suggested me to go over the speedbreaker at an angle and it does seem to reduce the bottoming even a 11 o clock angle. Has anyone tried it and is this a standard practice?

-Sudhir
This is correct. The problem with Civic is the long wheelbase. By going at an angle you are actually reducing the effective wheelbase with respect to the speedbreaker. In my 2 years ownership with Civic, I've learnt to respect the speedbreakers especially the ones in Bangalore. Take it slow and easy and the Civic is happy
dinu2506 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2009, 11:13   #266
BHPian

I have gone on a home trip from bangalore to kerala and return. Entire distance covered is 1600 Km's. I got an average of 14.5 Km per litre and max speed touched 145.

On the way to coimbatore, near bhavani a new toll gate is coming up and two big humps are there. There were 3 adults a kid and a fully loaded boot and car bottomed on both the humps. There is a damage on the underbody as shown in the photo and for the rest of the journey the broken part was making a metallic tarr tarr noise. While return I was extra careful and managed not to scrape the hump.

Apart from this the journey was uneventful and covered on side ~800 Km in 13 Hours.
Attached Images

motor_breathing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2009, 12:54   #267
Senior - BHPian

I recently did a 1316km tour of Western Karnataka from Bangalore. Travelogue posted here: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...lots-pics.html (My tour to Western Karnataka (lots of pics))

I got an FE of 13.5kmpl, which I thought was great considering more than 50% of route was winding roads and ghats.

The roads included bad stretches, but with careful negotiations the car did not bottom out at all. Pictures of road available here: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...ml#post1111884

As Dinu said, take it slow and easy and you should get though. Crossing the big humps at an angle is also a standard way to negotiate these. After some drive you will be able to make out what the car can cross straight and where you need to take the angle, but if in doubt, take the angle approach (beware of the traffic around you).
ST7677 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2009, 13:03   #268
Senior - BHPian

Perhaps the time has long gone for a modification of the thread title `12000 km'.
vasudeva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2009, 13:21   #269
Senior - BHPian

LoL, the car has now crossed 20k kms

No rattles, no vibrations - Very good build quality.
Still going smooth on regular engine oil, excellent FE over all 10.5 till now (over 20k kms)
No issues with suspensions as was initially expected. Chassis is also very sturdy - does very well in ghats and bad roads (besides the GC issue).
I have recently done more that 450kms in a day (and similar long distances continuously for 5 days) and still felt fresh with out any tiredness or any backache.

Cribs which continue after 20k km:
Need more low end torque
All integrated audio systems must have a pre-out (IMO this should be made mandatory, lol)
My wife complains there is not enough neck support for long drives on the rear seat
Stock tire size should be 205mm at least instead of 195.

Last edited by ST7677 : 5th January 2009 at 13:23.
ST7677 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2009, 13:58   #270
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinu2506 View Post
The problem with Civic is the long wheelbase. By going at an angle you are actually reducing the effective wheelbase with respect to the speedbreaker.
Yes, this is art I mastered over a period of time. My earlier City too had this issue. Having said that, some of the Blr speed breakers (esp. in Koramangala area) are more of 'car breakers' , and you cant escape them despite any of these stunts. The only way is to take alternate routes.
alabjarus is offline   Reply With Quote