Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Old 17th October 2007, 17:41   #1
BHPian

Default Santro Xing: 100 KM report

Background:
After 4 months of long head breaking on buying my first car, I took delivery of my new Santro yesterday. Variant: XO Color: Real Earth. First of all, thanks to all TBhp members in helping me in my decision (I had one 'What Car' Thread for this).
I knew that I will be taking some of the last XO models as it is getting discontinued. But I don't have any regrets and in fact I got some very good discount and offers. Also new top model of Santro is not having all features of Santro. With all this it looked better value for money. And as I am planning to keep her for long time, I was not worried for resale value.

The D day:
I am a new driver and have just got my permanent driving license. Initially I was thinking for getting her home delivered. But then I decided to take that risk. My parents were here for delivery. So I took my car from showroom to home with 5 people on board including me on Driver Seat. My parents were skeptical about me driving all of them home. But just seating into the driver seat and puting the first gear gave me confidence. The view of the road was excellent. The response from accelerator for very good and power steering is amazing. Maneuvering the car was way easy than i thought and I got her to home without any problems at all, that too in a decent traffic.

After that we took her to Mandir for Puja. The pandit there was more exited than me and in the process he spread kumkum/haldi and akshat everywhere(engine, bonnet, dash board etc). I was silently watching as my parents were around and convinced myself that somehow this is going to help me and my car with some divine force.

Review:
Then came the real part of it. I took her for some serious ride to get used to her. And here are my bits on the feel i got:
1. Handling: Very easy to drive with clear view of road ahead, great power steering and nice low end torque. View in reverse mirror is also good and I found no problems in reverse till now. I really feel it is city conquerer in its class.

2. Interiors: All must be knowing about the interiors. They are great in her class. plastic quality is better as compared to wagon r . But the dashboard fails to live upto the expectations raised by other things. It has no tacho and the design looks old. But it has all other essential indicators. Rear seat is really good to accommodate 3 people. Boot space looks sufficient, no real test yet on it though.

3. Exteriors: One of the main reasons I went for Real Earth color is it looks differently during different time span in the day. During night it resembles silver. I have a feeling of having a chameleon. Rear wiper and defogger adds to good looks of Santro. Also black body mouldings and black out film on glasses gives beautiful contrast effect on Real earth color.

Issues: I have one issue though and I need clarification from you people.
1. Should car move when Hand brake is ON ? Today I forgot to lower down the hand brake. But still I was able to ride both forward and backward but with very less pickup though. I tested handbrake on Slope, and I really need to pull it high to stop my car from moving. Is it normal for Santro or should I get it tightened ?

Further tests:
Fuel Efficiency, Highway ride.

Accessories(planned):
Rear Spoiler, Sun Film, Speaker upgrade( The one given by dealer are no good at high volume).

Looking forward to your tips on making my new bonding a success.
naughtyfaction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2007, 20:12   #2
BHPian

Hi,

Congrats on the new car, be sure to run her in properly, you sound too excited, that's why I told to run in properly. Also as you are a new driver I would advice you to take some time to know your car and her/his limits before hitting the highway.

I feel the highway is a different ball game compared to city driving and not a place to learn for novices, if you are planning for a highway trip engage a driver or give the car to a more experienced driver.

Again, I am sorry if I have dampened your spirit, but I have only your safety in mind here. All the best and a good choice in color.

Anand.S
anandtheleo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2007, 20:27   #3
Senior - BHPian

Congrats on your new car!

Quote:
Originally Posted by naughtyfaction View Post
Should car move when Hand brake is ON ? Today I forgot to lower down the hand brake. But still I was able to ride both forward and backward but with very less pickup though. I tested handbrake on Slope, and I really need to pull it high to stop my car from moving. Is it normal for Santro or should I get it tightened ?
Don't ever do that. Sure the car can be driven with handbrake on but it's dangerous and will mess up the mechanicals of the car. About the slope and handbrake, I don't think you need to worry. It seems to be normal.
amit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2007, 20:39   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandtheleo View Post
Hi,

Congrats on the new car, be sure to run her in properly, you sound too excited, that's why I told to run in properly. Also as you are a new driver I would advice you to take some time to know your car and her/his limits before hitting the highway.

I feel the highway is a different ball game compared to city driving and not a place to learn for novices, if you are planning for a highway trip engage a driver or give the car to a more experienced driver.

Again, I am sorry if I have dampened your spirit, but I have only your safety in mind here. All the best and a good choice in color.

Anand.S
Thanks Anand. Yeah, I am exited. But have no plans or intentions to take her to limits. I am planning to run her in properly. Also I am not planning a highway trip until first servicing. Thanks again for your caution.
Old 17th October 2007, 20:41   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit View Post
Congrats on your new car!

Don't ever do that. Sure the car can be driven with handbrake on but it's dangerous and will mess up the mechanicals of the car. About the slope and handbrake, I don't think you need to worry. It seems to be normal.
That was a miss. I will have to get into habit of lowering the hand brake whenever I start.
Old 17th October 2007, 21:15   #6
Senior - BHPian

Congrats!!
Its a great city car. I enjoyed it for 3 years.The engine is very good. Power is good enough for highways as well. Though handling is not good for highways, understandable considering the tall boy design and low weight.
PatienceWins is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2007, 21:25   #7
rks
BANNED

Quote:
Issues: I have one issue though and I need clarification from you people.
1. Should car move when Hand brake is ON ? Today I forgot to lower down the hand brake. But still I was able to ride both forward and backward but with very less pickup though. I tested handbrake on Slope, and I really need to pull it high to stop my car from moving. Is it normal for Santro or should I get it tightened ?
This has happened to me once or twice when I was distracted, but I immediately recognized the problem from the response of the car. It usually happens when you stop, engage the handbrakes and then have to immediately start again for some reason. A good practice in signals is to keep your left hand on the handbrake if it is engaged. Then you will remember to disengage it while starting.

Here is a tip: When you start your car, look at all the lights in your dashboard.This is necessary not only for handbrakes, but also for electrical system, check-engine light, oil pressures. These lights should come on and stay on momentarily and then go off as you start the car. If you make a habit of this then you will see that the handbrake light is on. If your handbrake is down and this light stays on, then possibly your brake fluid level is low. So it is very important to keep track of these lights and make sure that they are all working.

I am told that if you drive for 2-3 kims with your handbrake on, the chances are that you will damage your clutch. So try to avoid this in future and get your handbrake checked to ensure that the liner is fine. And get it adjusted too if you have to pull too hard for it to engage. One service engineer told me that as you pull the handbrake on, you should hear six clicks for it to fully engage. I am not too sure of this, though.
rks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th October 2007, 10:10   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rks View Post
Here is a tip: When you start your car, look at all the lights in your dashboard.This is necessary not only for handbrakes, but also for electrical system, check-engine light, oil pressures. These lights should come on and stay on momentarily and then go off as you start the car. If you make a habit of this then you will see that the handbrake light is on.
Thanks for the tip. Will get into this habit.
Old 18th October 2007, 15:29   #9
GTO
Team-BHP Support

For someone who has just gotten his drivers licence, you have compiled an excellent and straight-forward review. Thanks for sharing....the Santro is still an unbeatable package for urban commuting.
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th October 2007, 15:51   #10
Senior - BHPian

Thats a very nice initial review there. I hope to see you update this thread as you drive on. Its always a great feeling when you get your driver's license and take to the road. The XO gives you a lot of goodies for the price. Do take care of your new car and it will serve you for many years. Happy Motoring and always wear your seatbelt.

And before I forget how about some pictures of your new baby?
Dippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th October 2007, 15:55   #11
BHPian

Quote:
That was a miss. I will have to get into habit of lowering the hand brake whenever I start.
and please do not forget to pull the handbrake up when you park it ..... being new to driving, people usually forget this.....
Krato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2007, 17:22   #12
BHPian

Thanks to all your inputs. I am getting into the habit of good driving practices.
- I make it a point to look at the dashboard indicators after engine starts. No more hiccups on handbrake after that.
- Using rear view and ORVM/ OLRM while braking, turning and close traffic situations.
- Have learnt to use wipers efficiently when it rained here 2 days back and I was driving.
- Also putting my indicators and headlamps appropriately.

There are various other small aspects of driving that I am learning. (May be I will compile all the info in some other thread, if there is none already) Santro is really great car to do all this. There is absolutely no issues from car side during this period and she is supporting me in a great way.

Now time for some additional review on my car.

Fuel efficiency:
She is 1 week old now and has run for 350 KMs. I am getting 13.5 kmpl with 30% AC and all city driving. Hope it will increase after 1st servicing or so.

Gear shifting: I am really impressed by this. It was a bit hard for first 150 Kms or so but now it feels a lot smoother. If it frees up at this rate I think it will be a stick in the butter at 500 KM mark.

Ride quality: For first 5 days i drove fully loaded (5 passengers) both on good and bad roads. I asked my parents about how it is feeling at back and they were happy with the ride. They are used to the back seat ride in Wagon R. According to them, it was better in santro, especially the seating capacity. And drove real slow on bad roads, so I am sure that they did not feel the bumps. Sometime down the line , I will check the ride at back seat with my friend driving. At high speeds ( my highest being 90 kmph), it rides easily, without causing any issues that scares me away. But I think I have a bit less grip on my tire though at those speeds ( mine being MRF ZVTS 155/60R14). Don't know why I did not get the bridgestones or goodyear. I heard that they are lot better.

AC: AC is great and it takes approx. 48 secs to bring temperature from 45 deg. to 23 deg. I actually measured using a temperature gauge. Air circulation is also good.

I will be going for for registration in RTO tomorrow. Will post some pictures after I get spoiler and sun film installed on her during the weekend.Till then happy posting...
Old 23rd October 2007, 18:02   #13
BHPian

Quote:
mine being MRF ZVTS 155/60R14
i think thats a typo. santro comes with 155/70 R13 size tires
deepak_ms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2007, 18:56   #14
BHPian

Quote:
. At high speeds ( my highest being 90 kmph), it rides easily, without causing any issues that scares me away. But I think I have a bit less grip on my tire though at those speeds ( mine being MRF ZVTS 155/60R14). Don't know why I did not get the bridgestones or goodyear.

I will be going for for registration in RTO tomorrow. Will post some pictures after I get spoiler and sun film installed on her during the weekend.Till then happy posting...
WHAT??? The car is still not registered? That means no insurance as well. You still don't have a permanent driving license and doing speeds of 90 KPH. Sounds like a recipe for trouble.

What if there is an accident however minor, the blame will be on you and you'll have to pay everything from your pocket.

Don't the dealers in Hyd register the car before delivery? Get the registration and insurance done ASAP. I can understand your excitement with your first car and all but try focusing on getting a proper license first. You can have as much fun with your car after that.

Drive safe
- Jag
Jaguar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2007, 18:58   #15
BHPian

"She is 1 week old now and has run for 350 KMs." " I will be going for for registration in RTO tomorrow."

You are going for registration after running for 350 kms? How is that possible? shouldn't you have the registration during delivery itself?

Anand.S
anandtheleo is offline   Reply With Quote